What was the last film you watched?

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
The Nan Movie (2022)

The_nan_movie.png


Oh dear! This film, based on a character in a sketch show by Catherine Tate was always going to be a challenge because the TV the sketch was basically one joke stretched over 5 minutes (an old woman who is very sweary) and here the same joke was stretched over an hour and a half. Also, whereas in the naughties it was shocking and therefore more humourous to hear some of the things Nan said, in the 2020s the language is so commonplace it no longer has any shock appeal. As a result, this film is a comedy that is almost completely devoid of humour.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Interesting that you have such a positive view of this film. I've always had a soft spot for the original but never had any desire to watch the remake, maybe I need to review my opinion on that.

There are a couple of things that went in its favour. The first is Jamie Lee Curtis's performance, since she has great comic timing and very little of the vanity one would associate of a Hollywood actress of her calibre. She isn't afraid of looking silly or of using her age and poking fun at her appearance.

What also helped is that it's many, many years since I've watched the original. I'm sure I must have seen it during childhood at least once, but I can barely remember it. This must have been helpful, because I'm sure Lindsay Lohan's performance paled compared with Jodie Foster.



This film, based on a character in a sketch show by Catherine Tate was always going to be a challenge because the TV the sketch was basically one joke stretched over 5 minutes (an old woman who is very sweary) and here the same joke was stretched over an hour and a half.

I loved Nan as part of the series, but yes, I can imagine it wouldn't work anything like as well without the brevity. Even some of the longer sketches in the series didn't feel as funny as the five minute ones.

That said, if Catherine ever does The Shocked Northern Adventures Of Janice & Ray, I'll be there for it...




Also, whereas in the naughties it was shocking and therefore more humourous to hear some of the things Nan said, in the 2020s the language is so commonplace it no longer has any shock appeal.

I had wondered if it might work the other way round and need toning down for the Twenties. With cancel culture, I'd thought some of Nan's less-than-politically-correct blunt observations about people's appearances might shock a sensitive younger audience even more today than it did almost two decades ago.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
I loved Nan as part of the series, but yes, I can imagine it wouldn't work anything like as well without the brevity. Even some of the longer sketches in the series didn't feel as funny as the five minute ones.

That said, if Catherine ever does The Shocked Northern Adventures Of Janice & Ray, I'll be there for it...
​
I had wondered if it might work the other way round and need toning down for the Twenties. With cancel culture, I'd thought some of Nan's less-than-politically-correct blunt observations about people's appearances seems like it might shock a sensitive younger audience even more today than it did almost two decades ago.
I used to think Nan was hilarious which was why I wanted to see this film but it just wasn't very good.

There wasn't as many f**ks in the film as I expected which I think was probably more to avoid a 18 certificate (the film has a 15 certificate) and the word c**t appeared on screen quite a few times although I don't think it was actually said. I don't think making changes to be more acceptable for a modern cinema audience was the problem, it was the awful plot which involved getting Nan involved in a succession of stupid adventures. The best bits of the film were not the comedy but the drama between Nan and her sister and her sister's husband which was even a bit moving on occasions.

You mentioned Janice and Ray and perhaps the film might have worked better had some of the other characters from The Catherine Tate Show appeared in some of the scenes.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
There wasn't as many f**ks in the film as I expected which I think was probably more to avoid a 18 certificate (the film has a 15 certificate)

I'm not quite sure how the certificate business works, but I suspect you may be right. There's possibly a threshold that pushes it over.

On a related note, I read an article about the upcoming Marilyn Monroe series on Netflix being given an NC-17 rating, which explained:
NC-17 ratings are exceedingly rare and generally only given to films with excess amounts of nudity or graphic sex.

It also describes the rating as "extreme". I find it a bit perplexing that a film or series can apparently be horrifically violent without too many issues, but showing genitals onscreen results in limiting the audience. It's an odd kind of morality, and I'm not sure what it says about the bodies governing the certification.




You mentioned Janice and Ray and perhaps the film might have worked better had some of the other characters from The Catherine Tate Show appeared in some of the scenes.

Yes. I did half wonder if other characters would appear along the way. The fact that they don't makes it a little less interesting for me.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

iu


"Surprising" is probably the best descriptive word for this one. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this wasn't it.

There wasn't much I didn't like (I think. I'm still undecided, really). The main irritant for me were terribly British actors using Americanisms with cut glass English accents ("go do", "elevator", "write me", "OK", etc). Presumably they were true to the writing... but it's written by an American.

However, it was also quirky, funny (the ridiculous slalom chase had me laughing out loud despite myself), gorgeous to look at and filled with a terrific cast. Despite spending most of the film undecided if I was actually enjoying watching, it was very easy to devour. Time went quickly, which has to be a good thing.

Apropos of nothing, the melody of the score intermittently reminded me greatly of an orchestral version of an ABBA song. I think it was Lay All Your Love On Me, but I forget.


 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

iu


"Surprising" is probably the best descriptive word for this one. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this wasn't it.

There wasn't much I didn't like (I think. I'm still undecided, really). The main irritant for me were terribly British actors using Americanisms with cut glass English accents ("go do", "elevator", "write me", "OK", etc). Presumably they were true to the writing... but it's written by an American.

However, it was also quirky, funny (the ridiculous slalom chase had me laughing out loud despite myself), gorgeous to look at and filled with a terrific cast. Despite spending most of the film undecided if I was actually enjoying watching, it was very easy to devour. Time went quickly, which has to be a good thing.

Apropos of nothing, the melody of the score intermittently reminded me greatly of an orchestral version of an ABBA song. I think it was Lay All Your Love On Me, but I forget.


I absolutely love this film. It's visually stunning, the colours and sets are amazing, the music is outstanding and each scene is beautifully crafted. Ralph Fiennes is quite brilliant in it, terrific acting with a great appreciation for the comedy of it all. It's an engrossing journey of whimsy during which the viewer encounters a succession of eccentric characters. It's also very funny and has a vibe of an animated films at times. Overall, I think it's a piece of genius.

Apropos of nothing, the melody of the score intermittently reminded me greatly of an orchestral version of an ABBA song. I think it was Lay All Your Love On Me, but I forget.
I never made that observation before, I'll have to listen out for it when I next watch this film.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Ambulance (2022)

AMBU001DOM_Exclusive-Art_1080x1600_ENG_D_R_R3.jpg


A bank heist film. Two brothers rob a bank but their well thought out plan goes wrong and their escape is botched when one of them accidentally shoots a copper. When an ambulance take him away, the robbers hijack the vehicle, victim and paramedic included, to get through the police cordon. The bulk of the rest of the film is an action filled police chase. The plot stretches credibility at times but it's an entertaining action film with a relentless succession of a crashes, explosions and gun fire. It's not Shakespeare but it's good escapist fun.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
I absolutely love this film. It's visually stunning, the colours and sets are amazing, the music is outstanding and each scene is beautifully crafted. Ralph Fiennes is quite brilliant in it, terrific acting with a great appreciation for the comedy of it all. It's an engrossing journey of whimsy during which the viewer encounters a succession of eccentric characters. It's also very funny and has a vibe of an animated films at times. Overall, I think it's a piece of genius.

Oh great. Thinking back on the film I'd agree with that.

I also have The French Dispatch to watch at some point*, from the same director and with some of the same actors as in Grand Budapest. Have you seen that one?



* But that one will have to wait until I've been through all the Star Wars films.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
I also have The French Dispatch to watch at some point*, from the same director and with some of the same actors as in Grand Budapest. Have you seen that one?
Yes, I have seen it. It has a very similar feel to The Grand Budapest Hotel so much so that you wouldn't need to know it was by the same director because it looks the same although the story is completely different. It's a good film but I didn't like it quite as much.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Firebird (2021)

1541494289811.jpg


This was worth watching. A young private in the army meets and officer and they start an illegal love affair. It's a story that is similar to many that have been made into a film before (it is a bit like a Russian army version of Brokeback Mountain) but this film told the story in an engaging way that it felt completely original. I've not seen either of the 2 lead actors before (Tom Prior and Oleg Zagorodnii) but both were really good in making their characters multi-layered and likeable. It's a beautiful film which is quite moving at times.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
It has a very similar feel to The Grand Budapest Hotel so much so that you wouldn't need to know it was by the same director because it looks the same although the story is completely different.

Thanks. Yes, I got that sense even from the poster of the film which is done in a very similar style. I could tell even before looking at the credits that it was somehow tied to the other film. It looks so similar I'd even thought the plots and characters might connected until you clarified.



It's a good film but I didn't like it quite as much.

I suppose it's hard to follow up when you enjoyed the earlier film so much.



This was worth watching. A young private in the army meets and officer and they start an illegal love affair. It's a story that is similar to many that have been made into a film before (it is a bit like a Russian army version of Brokeback Mountain)

Looks interesting. Considering the geographical setting, I'd wondered if the name Firebird was a reference to Stravinsky (but I'm guessing it's probably not).
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Looks interesting. Considering the geographical setting, I'd wondered if the name Firebird was a reference to Stravinsky (but I'm guessing it's probably not).
The film isn't explicit about exactly what "Firebird" refers to. The 2 main characters do indeed go to the Stravinsky ballet Firebird at the beginning of their relationship but this was a blink and you miss it moment when the title of the ballet was shown. However, there is a model aircraft that the officer, who was a pilot in the Russian air force, gives to the private after the first time they spend the night together. The model appears at various stages throughout the film to signify the connection between the 2 men. I did wonder whether the model was of a Firebird aircraft and that's how the film got its name.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
The 2 main characters do indeed go to the Stravinsky ballet Firebird at the beginning of their relationship but this was a blink and you miss it moment

Oh wow.


However, there is a model aircraft that the officer, who was a pilot in the Russian air force, gives to the private after the first time they spend the night together. The model appears at various stages throughout the film to signify the connection between the 2 men.

Thanks for this titbit. I'm intrigued and will add it to my watchlist for some point down the line.
 

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
the melody of the score intermittently reminded me greatly of an orchestral version of an ABBA song. I think it was Lay All Your Love On Me
You're right, I heard it immediately at 0:51 and curiously it coincides with the name ANDERSON appearing on screen.

1651792821628.png
Oh dear, oh dear, I thought I was on a roll but apparently the pitfalls are still there.
The premise is interesting enough, maybe it could have been a modern epic, but it looks very rushed and cookie-cutter.
It's impossible for the characters to keep up with everything and all they can do is literally explain the events to make sure that the viewer knows they understand what's going on. And then the movie can do what it probably set out to do, show the creature and the jump scares.
Needless to say, there's nothing scary about those jump scares, it's only annoying and in most cases it doesn't even make sense that a certain situation would produce that kind of noise or any sound at all for that matter.

It's not completely unwatchable and good enough for a Hammer House Of Horror TV episode, but I think I'd feel a little embarrassed in the presence of other cinemagoers.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
You're right, I heard it immediately at 0:51 and curiously it coincides with the name ANDERSON appearing on screen.

Oh wow. I hadn't realised it was kind of in the trailer I posted.

Here's a slightly clearer version. It can be heard at the beginning, with a more twinkly version midway through, and I'm pretty sure it recurs throughout the film in different styles, so it's possible it can be heard more clearly on another track:




Oh dear, oh dear, I thought I was on a roll but apparently the pitfalls are still there.
The premise is interesting enough, maybe it could have been a modern epic, but it looks very rushed and cookie-cutter.
It's impossible for the characters to keep up with everything and all they can do is literally explain the events to make sure that the viewer knows they understand what's going on. And then the movie can do what it probably set out to do, show the creature and the jump scares.
Needless to say, there's nothing scary about those jump scares, it's only annoying and in most cases it doesn't even make sense that a certain situation would produce that kind of noise or any sound at all for that matter.

Oh dear. I'll consider myself warned, Willie.
 

Rove

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
0
 
Awards
5

Moonfall_film_poster.jpg
​
Do not waste your time on this dreadful excuse for a movie. I'm always up for a rollicking good time when it comes to popcorn movies but I'll never get back the approximate 130 minutes of this dribble. How the likes of Halle Berry, Patrick Wilson. Michael Anthony Pena and Donald Sutherland signed up for this mess I simply don't know. Does Roland Emmerich make these kind of movies because he thinks about the CGI first? That was the impression I was left with. It appears directors have these images in their heads and cannot wait to see it created by software as if that's going to hypnotize us and forget the story.

It's the usual tell-tale story. A conspiracy theorist, K.C. Houseman (John Bradley) has worked out the Earth is doomed but no one will listen until a chance meeting with failed astronaut Brian Harper (Patrick Wilson) who is failing in life and his estranged family. Oh look who turns up. The predictable, estranged son Sonny (Charlie Plummer) who has daddy issues.

Then we have Jocinda Fowler (Halle Berry), former astronaut now Deputy Director of NASA who has her own problems with her estranged husband. Once she discovers Earth is in peril she decides to become a one woman candidate up against those foolish old men from the military. Why is it every time a disaster movie like this comes along they have to show the military full of dumb arses?

In the end I just wanted Earth and its inhabitants to die, along with the cast.

Score: 1/10

I gave it 1 because the only thing I enjoyed about this movie was eating popcorn.​
 
Last edited:

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Do not waste your time on this dreadful excuse for a movie. I'm always up for a rollicking good time when it comes to popcorn movies but I'll never get back the approximate 130 minutes of this dribble. How the likes of Halle Berry, Patrick Wilson. Michael Anthony Pena and Donald Sutherland signed up for this mess I simply don't know. Does Roland Emmerich make these kind of movies because he thinks about the CGI first? That was the impression I was left with. It appears directors have these images in their heads and cannot wait to see it created by software as if that's going to hypnotize us and forget the story.

It's the usual tell-tale story. A conspiracy theorist, K.C. Houseman (John Bradley) has worked out the Earth is doomed but no one will listen until a chance meeting with failed astronaut Brian Harper (Patrick Wilson) who is failing in life and his estranged family. Oh look who turns up. The predictable, estranged son Sonny (Charlie Plummer) who has daddy issues.

Then we have Jocinda Fowler (Halle Berry), former astronaut now Deputy Director of NASA who has her own problems with her estranged husband. Once she discovers Earth is in peril she decides to become a one woman candidate up against those foolish old men from the military. Why is it every time a disaster movie like this comes along they have to show the military full of dumb arses?

In the end I just wanted Earth and its inhabitants to die, along with the cast.

Score: 1/10

I gave it 1 because the only thing I enjoyed about this movie was eating popcorn.​
I've been curious about this film ever since I heard the critic Mark Kermode review it. He described it as being the "stupidest movie I have ever seen".

 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
A Chorus Line (1985)

ChorusLineMovie.jpg


I've not seen the stage production so I came to this film with no fixed ideas about what to expect. I have seen clips of some of the songs on YouTube and I wanted to see the whole film. I was aware that it was a major box office flop, however, I thought the film was OK and I wasn't sorry to have watched it.

The story is about a producer played by Michael Douglas auditioning dancer for a stage show and during the process they each describe their backgrounds and how and why they became dancers. There is a bit of a sub plot in one of the auditionees being a former lead dancer and lover of the producers. There are some great songs and set pieces in the film but I think the story would work better on stage than on film.
 
Last edited:
Top