What was the last film you watched?

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Even though I have such an enduring affection for this film, I've only watched it twice: the first time when I was around 5 and then again about 30 years later.

Sometimes those films are the best. The ones that you've only seen once or twice but have made a lasting impression enough to feel like a special part of your film-watching history. I think it's possible to take some of the magic away by watching something too often or knowing it too well (though it can go either way. There are some films I enjoy more with each rewatch).



Yes, it's a bit silly and it's a bit far fetched but if you just accept it for what it is, it's difficult not to be taken in by the warmth and comedy of it all.

Absolutely. I think suspension of disbelief is key and it's a fun family film.



I've often wondered whether this film was originally conceived as a direct sequel to The Love Bug because Stephanie Powers and Ken Berry are both physically very similar to Michelle Lee and Dean Jones so I can imagine the parts being written for the original actors but maybe they weren't available so the roles were recast and they changed the scripts to explain the new characters.

I can see exactly what you mean about them being physically similar, and I'm sure it's very possible you're onto something. In a way it makes the most sense. It seems almost unthinkable that a sequel would go through the writing and planning stages without them at some point considering bringing back the key human characters from the original.



I saw Herbie as being unique and having the power to bring the other beetles "to life".

Oh, that puts a different spin on it. Now I can retroactively enjoy that scene without my brain's logic board short circuiting.


Helen Hayes in the 1970s seemed to corner the market for playing loveable old granny roles and she did it so well.

That's reminded me that Candleshoe is also on Disney+. I have very fond memories of watching that one over Christmas when I was a child but I haven't seen it since. Here's hoping I get time to watch before my contract ends in a few weeks.


Keenan Wynn was great as the villain, I think this is the only comedy role I can remember seeing him in and he really should have worked in that genre more because he wrung every drop of comedy out of the lines and situations he was given while still remaining believable as his character.

Agreed. He was great fun.



hat I particularly like about the score was how the Herbie theme was not just reserved for the titles but dropped into it at select stages during the film while being careful not to overuse this idea.

Yes - that works really well to help set the tone and to keep Herbie's "voice" alive throughout the film.




Superman and Star Wars (it's not often those films are compared with Herbie!)

Ha ha. Perhaps they ought to be.



Reading your thoughts on the film makes me want to watch it again, I'm long overdue a third viewing so I'll put that right soon.

Oh great. Enjoy it.
 

Sea - Boo! - Er

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
21
I saw The Love Bug when it first came out and it has remained one of my favourites, although the sequels have diminishing returns as far as I'm concerned.
The main concession to link this with The Love Bug is that Helen Hayes's character is said to be the aunt of Tennessee Steinmetz from the first film. They even share a surname.
They also live in the same firehouse where Jim and Tennessee lived in the first film.
I've often wondered whether this film was originally conceived as a direct sequel to The Love Bug because Stephanie Powers and Ken Berry are both physically very similar to Michelle Lee and Dean Jones so I can imagine the parts being written for the original actors but maybe they weren't available so the roles were recast and they changed the scripts to explain the new characters.
I believe they were. I can recall reading reports about the forthcoming sequel and I'm sure the original intention was to bring back Jones and Lee. At some point the new cast was announced but because of the obvious resemblances I assumed that they were playing the same characters and was disappointed when I found that that wasn't the case.
I saw Herbie as being unique and having the power to bring the other beetles "to life".
I like that interpretation. The other bugs do have a sort of 'zombie' look about them, now that I think about it.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
They also live in the same firehouse where Jim and Tennessee lived in the first film.

Oh. This is embarrassing, but I didn't notice this. I just thought it was a similar-looking quirky old building.


I can recall reading reports about the forthcoming sequel and I'm sure the original intention was to bring back Jones and Lee.

Interesting, thanks.

I'm not sure about Dean Jones, but it looks likely that the filming would have clashed with Michele's run on Seesaw. She played in that until December '73 and the Herbie sequel premiered only four months later.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo (1977)

iu

Well, he gets there... eventually. But most of the film up until the last thirty minutes takes place in Paris and I'm surprised this wasn't stressed more by utilising it in the title somewhere.

Still, whichever way you look at it, there's some gorgeous scenery in this film. It has a different tone compared with the first two films not just because of the European scenery, but because there's a sense that the crew are making the most of said scenery, in the same way a tourist takes lots of photographs of places their visiting, but is less interested in filming their own locale. Because of this, this film mostly shuns their indoor sets and fills the screen with gorgeous panoramic shots of France at its most resplendent.

Of course, the sets - particularly the firehouse - gave the first two films a certain charm that's not present here, but this third film certainly is a feast for the eyes, which more than makes up for any absence.

Speaking of absentees, Dean Jones returns as Jim Douglas having been missing in the first sequel. We're told it's been twelve years since he last raced Herbie. I'm guessing that last race was some time after The Love Bug since both sequels suggest that Herbie and Jim enjoyed an illustrious career together. This would set this perhaps a decade and a half after The Love Bug, despite coming only eight years later in real time.

One confusing aspect is Jim's marriage to Carole at the end of The Love Bug. She's not mentioned here - not even obliquely. Almost immediately, Jim falls for Diane and a romance begins, but this is confusing for the viewer because it's not clear how - or even if - he's available. I suppose the two options are that he's either a widower or divorced and perhaps Disney (or the censors) felt neither were suitable to mention in a family film. However, if that's the case, why would Jim's new sidekick Wheely comment about his multiple ex-wives? Whatever the reasoning, the lack of clarity opens up the very real (and even less tasteful) possibility that Jim is cheating on his wife while on his overseas business trip. By film's end, we still don't know and are left to write our own scripts.

Diane herself is a far less likeable female lead than Carole or Nicole. She spends most of the film whining that Jim has it in for her because she's a woman racing driver and yet her complaints are baseless. Obviously, we understand Jim's motives (and Herbie's quirks), whereas Diane doesn't, but even looking at it from her point of view, while it's clear why she would view him as an idiot, there's nothing about his words or actions to suggest his behaviour is motivated by her gender. We don't even see her discriminated towards by any of the other male drivers and so at best she comes across as having a gigantic and unnecessary chip on her shoulder based in a persecution complex. At worst, she comes across as the kind of woman who brings gender into a disagreement for leverage, or to rationalise her own shortcomings, like those videos that occasionally emerge of a woman screaming bloody murder on the phone to the police when it's clear they've just been politely asked by a man to leash their dog or remove their car from being illegally parked (in 21st Century parlance, Diane might be viewed by some as a "Karen"). There's a kind of pseudo-feminism undercurrent that doesn't hit the mark. Carole and Nicole were actually more progressive characters in being assertive, confident and capable women without feeling the need to prove anything. It takes until the last reel for the breakthrough to come and Diane to smile and show some warmth. I'd like to have seen more of this earlier in the film, rather than the screeching and vase throwing.

The best aspect of this film for me is the wealth of wonderful character actors.

There's Don Knotts, of course. And the wonderful Roy Kinnear. Throughout the film, I had a feeling that Knotts had played the George Roper role in the American versions of Man About The House and George & Mildred so imagine my delight at seeing him and Kinnear - who had played the original Mr. Roper's occasional partner-in-crime facing off in a comedy fight. Turns out I wasn't quite right. Knotts actually played a different character who replaced the American "George" in later seasons of Three's Company. But the connection is still there.

Bernard Fox was a welcome presence, him having one of those "I know him but can't quite place how" faces that the best character actors have. I think I'd most recently have watched him in a couple of Columbo episodes. Jacques Marin was another familiar face and my God - he has such an impressive filmography. Even at the point this was made he'd been in the business for thirty years, evidently with no shortage of work. He was great.

And they weren't the only ones. Everywhere you look there are all these wonderful French character actors in even the smallest of roles. In fact, I'm going to say that my favourites were two characters who didn't utter a word: they're the two fishermen in the rowing boat who gawp as Herbie emerges from the water. They had such great comedy faces and the looks they gave were priceless. They gave me the biggest laugh and made the film for me.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo (1977)

iu
I didn't think this film worked as well as the previous 2 Herbie films although it was still great fun.

Diane herself is a far less likeable female lead than Carole or Nicole.
You're being very polite, I though she was very annoying which was a shame because the female co-leads in the previous films were far more likeable. Maybe they were looking for a different dynamic to differentiate this film from the previous two.

Whatever the reasoning, the lack of clarity opens up the very real (and even less tasteful) possibility that Jim is cheating on his wife while on his overseas business trip. By film's end, we still don't know and are left to write our own scripts.
Gosh, I had forgotten about this and I like the idea of Jim secretly cheating on his wife while on an overseas trip. However, I think they were probably divorced and his ex-wife met some guy called Sid Fairgate.
 
Last edited:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
I didn't think this film worked as well as the previous 2 Herbie films although it was still great fun.

Agreed on both counts.


Maybe they were looking for a different dynamic to differentiate this film from the previous two.

Could be. In many ways the character arcs were similar, with the women disliking the man to begin with and romance developing as the film went on. I just didn't think it worked at all well in the third film.


I think they were probably divorced and his ex-wife met some guy called Sid Fairgate.

Ha ha. Good point.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Herbie Goes Bananas (1980)

iu

My main memory of this title isn't actually of the film at all. Back when it first came out, I bought the novelisation through my primary school's book club.
iu

Weirdly, I can't actually remember reading the book. I read a lot and had a good memory for their contents, but clearly this one is in a minority that didn't make much of an impression on me beyond the cover.

Mind you, having watched the film I can understand why. This is definitely the bottom of the barrel of the four original films.

It didn't have to be that way. The plot is actually decent enough on paper, and even the characters had potential. But the execution is poor. The script is far from sparkling and the casting feels very much like a Seventies TV show rather than a feature film. The leading actor - or at least the man playing Herbie's new owner - feels as though he was cast more for his pretty looks rather than his acting ability, and he delivers his dialogue without pauses giving it a school play-like quality which could be viewed as endearing or annoying depending on how full your glass is. He'd be fine in a supporting role, but here the poor boy is strapped with carrying an entire film on his shoulders. And not a good film at that.

There's also no chemistry between the lead actor and the actor playing his accident-prone sidekick (let's not even get into that one).

And they're both so young. I would feel I'm getting old, but I only watched the previous film the night before and I haven't felt this with any of the others.

The romance this time involves the archetypal Ugly Duckling plot as seen so many times throughout the Seventies and Eighties (think June from Carry On Up The Jungle; Plain Jane from Neighbours; Janice from Sons and Daughters and even Diana Prince in early Wonder Woman). Girl wears big glasses and is engrossed in her studies which makes her undesirable to the bland-but-handsome boy who is coerced into spending time with her. She takes the glasses off and he manages to get past the fact that she's bright and knowledgeable and falls for her. Or something like that.

Even before the plot got underway, I found myself thinking that they must have really cut down on the budget for salaries this time round. There are very few familiar faces, and even experienced supporting character actors seem to struggle. Poor Vito Scotti - so good in several Columbo episodes, and enjoyable in his brief cameo in the previous film - is wasted here and I couldn't even get enthused about his scenes.

Cloris Leachman was present and was fine with the little material she had.

The main antagonists weren't particularly interesting. Perhaps it's telling that some twelve hours on I cannot remember what they were called, what they looked like or what they said and did.

Perhaps the best served was another aggressor: the ship's permanently furious Captain Blythe, played with gusto by Harvey Korman. Though stealing even his thunder was Fritz Felt as Blythe's Chief Steward, looking startled every time Blythe went into a rant and quietly gesturing towards the guests at the Captain's table in a bid to save the reputation of both Captain and ship. His nonplussed looks were hilarious, reminding me of Charles Hawtrey (speaking of which, many of the ship scenes actually felt very Carry On in tone).

As mentioned, there's a lot I don't remember about the film, so I suppose it made about as much impression on me as the book. Well, less, really. At least I enjoyed looking at the book's cover from time to time.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
I gave up on Herbie after the Monte Carlo film so I've never seen this one and your review confirms that I shouldn't have any regrets about by not watching it.

You're quite right. Some may regret watching it, but as far as not watching it goes... you can be assured you've already seen the best of Herbie.

It's definitely one for the diehard fans. And even they're likely to be disappointed.
 

Sea - Boo! - Er

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
21
Jim falls for Diane and a romance begins
I don't see it that way. The romance is between Herbie and Diane's car. Jim and Diane are like the squabbling in-laws. And Jim has a certain sadness about him which could be interpreted as being in mourning for Carol.
And, jumping ahead, he meets a new wife in the short-lived TV series -still without acknowledging the first one.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
The romance is between Herbie and Diane's car. Jim and Diane are like the squabbling in-laws.

I wouldn't have thought of this, but I really like this way of looking at it. It's far better than the film my initial interpretation gave me.


And Jim has a certain sadness about him which could be interpreted as being in mourning for Carol.

Interesting. Again, I kind of wish I'd read this before watching as it would have added some new layers.
 

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
5
 
Awards
17
Top Gun: Maverick

Just saw this actually and I was pleasantly surprised. I wouldn’t put it near the 1986 original but I have to say they did a great job with this. There were a lot of winks and nods to the original film but it also had a fresh modern feel to it.
 

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
7
uncharted (2022) it as a pretty decent movie i bought it on Monday i think it was? i watched it with my dad the following day and he liked it and i thought it was decent.

now if you love the games and anyone who is a gamer on here who's got a PS4 or a PS5 or they are all all both consoles to play since you can play your PS4 games on the PS5. anyways there are certain scenes in it where it looked like they were taken from the 4th game even some of the storyline as well such as Nate being at an i think Orphanage and his brother Sam when they were kids goes there and visits him and they in the game break into an old lady's house who ends up having known their parents. she calls the cops not knowing who they were and they had to run like hell so not to get caught, that's not in the game they do get busted in the film.
than you have the end of the film where you see a shot of a ship and it looks like it was taken from the game! some things were changed and that's fine but i'd say about 90% of it is from the game. the rest they changed and that's not a big deal to me at least not this time around i'd say 7/10
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Candleshoe (1977)

iu

I have faint memories of very happy times watching this over the Christmas holidays as a kid and I looked forward to revisiting it. I wasn't sure about watching it during the summer as I remember it being a gothic, wintry film, but actually it's pretty neutral in terms of seasonal tone so it was fine (it's based on a book called Christmas At Candleshoe, which I suppose may not work as well in June).

It's edgier than I remember it being, a lot of that coming from Jodie Foster whose character Casey is well and truly established in the opening titles as a delinquent, as shown by she and her friends giving cheek to people, stealing, spilling oil drums across a garage workshop, sabotaging sports games, knocking stuff over and generally wreaking havoc. If it were anyone else she'd be unlikeable, but it's Jodie Foster. Something that occurred to me in this film is how much she resembles early Eighties Michael J. Fox (well, techically I suppose he resembles her), right down to the voice, looks and mannerisms. They could be one and the same with a different haircut. She's as terrific here as always, and balances the light and dark perfectly. There's a sequence at the beginning of the film where she's wrenched from her foster parents (money is thrown their way) by a sinister-looking man who accompanies her on a silent car journey to a hotel where she's taken to a room and ordered to bath, before another man appears to inspect her, still wearing a towel. It feels so sinister and creepy it's almost a relief when the worst thing that happens is him giving her a slap in the face for talking back. It's to 15 year old Foster's credit that Casey feels so switched on and streetwise that she holds her own and quickly turns the tables by setting up her own demands. All the same, I can't imagine this sequence playing today.

The rest of the cast is great. Leo McKern gives a great turn as a greedy, crooked Artful Dodger type. The ever-reliable David Niven plays the butler Priory who also has to dress up as the gardener and chauffeur to convince Lady Gwendolyne they're solvent when in fact he's had to let them go (he also dresses up as an upper crust neighbour to help maintain the appearance that she's still viewed as a social equal). And of course there's Helen Hayes in her final film, playing Lady Gwendolyne. She's just wonderful and one really feels a sense of history with her, as well as the thrill of believing she's found her long-lost granddaughter.

The chemistry is great all round - even the other kids are endearing enough - and there are some winning scenes, particularly as Foster's outlook changes from someone out to con this wealthy woman to someone who feels she's found a family and wants to help. And in between she's torn, since she still has Bundage on her case. Helen Hayes gives a terrific performance with lovely scenes between she and Foster. Possibly my favourite scene in the entire film is a small moment between Hayes and Niven, where Lady Gwendolyne quietly admits to Priory that she's knew it was him pretending to be various other characters and appreciates it. "We've been playing games with time, you and I", she reflects. Just lovely.

Being made in 1977 it's quite the period piece now, of course. It probably was when I first watched it in the Eighties. But the writing and performances are timeless.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
The Outfit (2022)

MV5BYWQ0NWUyMjktYjg4Yy00NmY3LTg2YzEtNWY5OTY5YTc2MjhjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA2MDU0NjM5._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg


Mark Rylance plays Leonard, an English tailor (or cutter, as he prefers to describe himself) who has relocated to Chicago where he own his own shop. His main customers seem to be gangsters and one night, a group of mobsters come to his shop with suspicious package and briefcase. As the night progresses, one of the mobsters gets shot and Leonard becomes embroiled in the chaos and must outwit the mobsters.

All of the action takes place in the same location, the front and back rooms of the shop, so it has the feel of a play at times and I did wonder if it was adapted from a stage play but Wikipedia suggests it was originally written for the big screen. It's a good thriller with lots of twists in the storyline and not everything is as it first appears.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Fresh (2022)

Fresh-Disney-Poster.jpg


What initially attracted me to watch this film was that it stars Daisy Edgar-Jones who I loved in the TV series Normal People so I was interested to see her in something else. In this film she plays Noa, an American who is not having much luck with online dating when she meets Steve in a supermarket and he chats her up. Before long they go on a date and shortly afterwards he suggests they go away together for a weekend. They drive over to his place for the night before their trip and drugs her wine and when she wakes she finds herself chained to the floor. It turns out Steve has been kidnapping young women to cannibalise their flesh and to sell it to others who also enjoy eating human meet. So the film which starts off feeling like a bit of a romantic drama ends up as a thriller/horror. It's not a bad little film.
 

Sea - Boo! - Er

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
21
There's a Disney made for TV remake of The Love Bug which I hope to watch one day to see how it compares with the original. Dean Jones reprises his role as Jim Douglas but he isn't the lead in the film.
I've seen that. Jim appears only briefly and does mention "my wife" without naming her. The TV series may or may not be in continuity so it's not clear which wife he means.
The film tries to tread a line between being a remake and a sequel. Bruce Campbell stars as Herbie's new owner; the plot is the same but somehow the previous film also happened.
Mild spoiler:
="When Herbie wins, he splits from front to back instead of side to side. Either way, can he be truly said to have crossed the finish line until all of him has crossed?]
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Deep Water (2022)

MV5BNmEwNDU2NGYtMzM3Yy00N2E5LTg0ODQtODYyODFlMDU0YzI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODc0OTEyNDU@._V1_.jpg


I'll cut to the chase, I hated this film. It's hard to fully describe the plot because it's confusing and I'm trying to erase this dross from my memory.

Vic (played by Ben Affleck) is married to Melinda (Ana de Armas) and appears to tolerate her affairs with a succession of young men and until the lovers are found dead. All the characters in this film aren't particularly likeable so I didn't really care what happened to them and I thought the story was slow and ponderous.

This film was meant to be a thriller but it had very few thrills. The mystery is whether or not Vic is the killer of his wife's lovers but this is revealed mid way through the film and the film became a case of whether the killer would be found out and brought to justice. The only part of the film that I really like was the scene in the middle of the closing credits in which their young daughter sings along to Leo Sayer's You Make Me Feel Like Dancing while strapped in a seat belt in the back of a car driving down the street.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
The French Connection (1971)

iu

This has been on my bucket list for a while now. I knew very little about it other than it's widely respected and stars Gene Hackman and Roy Scheider.

It's a wonderfully made film, and it looks absolutely stunning, with a gritty tone that I suspect documents the era and the locations in which it's set very well. As I watched, I marvelled at details like the litter covering the New York streets. Something about the film felt a little like a proto Cagney & Lacey, which didn't hurt how I viewed it.

While I usually try to avoid reading up on films ahead of time - as is the case here - I actually wish I'd read up on the film's plot and background ahead of time, as it felt for a long time that there was no real plot. Perhaps I missed some key dialogue or was simply too tired or slow to get it. Or perhaps I was too drawn in by the gorgeous scenery in Marseilles to follow the plot. Whatever the case, I spent much time trying to work out who these characters were (were they cops? Thugs? Private investigators) and what they were doing.

A lot of time was spent watching them going about the minutiae of their day to day business. Shakedowns in seedy bars. Scheider finding Hackman's character the worse for wear, attached to the bedpost by his ankle with his own cuffs by the girl with whom he'd crashed. It was all to be appreciated, but also felt a little aimless and meandering. In the latter part of the film it felt like we spent about twenty minutes watching a car being taken apart in real time.

The other aspect I didn't care for was Don Ellis's score which was very unpleasant on the ears. No doubt this was deliberate, to add to the unsettling nature of the film, but let's just say I won't be seeking this soundtrack out.

That said, even from my somewhat handicapped position, I found myself invested. The scenes of Popeye tailing Charnier were gripping. I especially loved the humorous little moment where they were each repeatedly getting on and off the train from neighbouring carriages, with Charnier trying to false step Popeye (successfully in the end). And the car chases were really something. They're possibly the most subjective I've ever seen and I felt almost nauseated as the speed built up and obstacles came into view and were (usually) narrowly missed. And of course, Roy Scheider is always worth his weight in gold. I like to think when Buddy Russo was forcibly transferred away from the narcotics team it was to a little island in Massachusetts, complete with a new identity: Martin Brody.

Despite reservations about the film, the gorgeous, gritty look of the film has increased my curiosity to see director William Friedkin's other films of the era. Most notably Sorcerer (which also stars Scheider), but possibly also The Exorcist.

I'm less enthused about the idea of French Connection II, but it is sitting there in my watchlist, so we'll see.
 
Top