What was the last film you watched?

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
The Perfect Host (2010)

a7be0c0164d448c9cac51f5529b96c7001f158bdr1-595-833v2_hq.jpg


I'd not heard of this film before I watched it and I did wonder whether it was a made for TV film but a quick Google search showed it did have a cinema release. It's an unpredictable thriller in which an armed robber bluffs his way into a the house of the character played by David Hyde Pierce who is preparing for a dinner party. Over time we realise that everything is not as it seems and the David Hyde Pierce character is a bit of a psycho serial killer and that's not the only plot twist in this film. It's a entertaining film but not a classic.
Sounds familiar. Maybe Mel has reviewed it? (10 pages ago).

You’re quite right, Willie.

The Perfect Host (2010)

iu


Oh my. This was like going down the rabbit hole.

I had no idea of the film's genre and little of the premise, and so the initial twist (there were many) really grabbed me. It's a cracking little film, difficult to define and worth watching with the least amount of information possible.​

I think Angela and I were in the best starting positions of knowing very little before watching.


View attachment 36984
I have already watched it 20 or 30 times, but....last night it was snowing!!:gidd:
I still think it's the most intriguing live action remake of the classic fairy tale (or any fairy tale for that matter).
There's some additional characterization but without the pomposity of Snow White And The Huntsman or the OTT feminist melodrama in Maleficent.
I believe it's classified as horror but I think it only shows how horrific the more classic versions of the fairy tales really are. Psychopaths, murder plots, cannibalism, gruesome deaths and other comeuppances...
Yes I think this movie is a little too wild for kids but any adult could watch this even if you're not into the horror genre.

I’m very intrigued. I see it’s on Prime so I’ve added it to my Watchlist in the hope it becomes free as films do from time to time.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Sounds familiar. Maybe Mel has reviewed it? (10 pages ago).

View attachment 36984
I have already watched it 20 or 30 times, but....last night it was snowing!!:gidd:
I still think it's the most intriguing live action remake of the classic fairy tale (or any fairy tale for that matter).
There's some additional characterization but without the pomposity of Snow White And The Huntsman or the OTT feminist melodrama in Maleficent.
I believe it's classified as horror but I think it only shows how horrific the more classic versions of the fairy tales really are. Psychopaths, murder plots, cannibalism, gruesome deaths and other comeuppances...
Yes I think this movie is a little too wild for kids but any adult could watch this even if you're not into the horror genre.
I've not heard of this film before but it looks fascinating. I'm going to get a copy and watch it sometime soon.

I think Angela and I were in the best starting positions of knowing very little before watching.
I didn't realise you had reviewed this film before or I would have referenced your comments. Or maybe somewhere in the back of my mind the title had been lodged after reading your thoughts on it and subconsciously that's what attracted me to the film.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
I didn't realise you had reviewed this film before or I would have referenced your comments.

Oh thanks. There are so many films in this thread I’d rarely look back to see if someone else has watched a film I’ve just seen, but there are also times when I specifically remember a film being mentioned, or it’s familiar enough to prompt me to look for mentions.

Or maybe somewhere in the back of my mind the title had been lodged after reading your thoughts on it and subconsciously that's what attracted me to the film.

Ha ha. I’m sure that happens to me quite a lot after reading a post about a film/song/TV series, etc. (consciously or subconsciously and often some time later) so you may well be right.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Dark Phoenix (2019)



It’s mind-boggling that Marvel and Sony would make a hash of a live-action translation of one of its most revered stories not once but twice. For that reason I kept an open mind going in, despite previously reading that it had been poorly received. I don’t pay much heed to the likes of Rotten Tomatoes anyway. And this film had to be an improvement over The Last Stand, after all.

Sadly, Dark Phoenix is very disappointing to most who know this story. Well, it disappointed me. It actually has more in common with The Last Stand than the source material* complete with an abundance of new nameless generic characters noisy battles with fake CGI deaths and a complete absence of key elements such as Mastermind, the Hellfire Club and the Starjammers.

I still have issues with the new “young” versions of the characters. The guy playing Cyclops looks all wrong and gave a weak performance. McAvoy was more tolerable here than in the last two or three films (his role seemed smaller, which I’m sure helped), but in 1992 shouldn’t he look like Patrick Stewart (thirty years on from First Class and very close to the first X-Men film. Shouldn’t they all look and act like the originals by now?) I’d never have expected Beast to be the best thing in an X-Film but here we are.

I still have no idea what the middle-aged albino woman with the Kardashian vocal creak was meant to bring as an additional antagonist, but it was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

Altogether a sad ending to a series that began so promisingly.

* Ironic, since this was intended to be an apology for that film from its writer. ​
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Murder On The Orient Express (2017)



“Does what it says on the tin” is probably the best way to describe this one.

If anything it’s a little better than my not-so-great expectations. It has all the hallmarks of a big-screen Agatha Christie adaption with many big names and familiar faces: Johnny Depp; Michelle Pfeiffer; Willem Dafoe. And of course Dame Judi and Olivia Colman who, I understand, have to appear in every British co-produced drama by law.

It looks very impressive visually, with stunning location work, gorgeous costumes and slick direction, though the latter was occasionally distractingly showy. Sometimes the directional showmanship worked (such as a wonderful shot of Dafoe through bevelled glass giving multiple images of his performance at once) but frequently it didn’t (there was that peculiar and unflattering aerial corridor shot just as the body was about to be discovered. And the introduction of Pfeiffer’s character - walking from carriage to carriage inside the train, but shot from outside with her passing multiple windows - was so nauseating I was forced to look away).

Delivery and accents are usually my biggest bugbears and I girded my loins as I pressed “play”. I’d expected the British accents to be contemporary RP, and indeed most were. Biggest vocal offenders were the cast’s young women (who also gave the poorest performances overall). The pretty dark haired governess with sparkly brown eyes did the young intern/Holly Willoughby modern RP thing of speaking well while t-dropping, which is a combination that simply didn’t exist in the early and mid 20th Century. Meanwhile, the blonde drug addicted one spoke with actual vocal fry, which sounded ridiculous (fortunately she wasn’t in it much). Despite the inauthenticity, it actually wasn’t too distracting, in part because - despite being a period piece - the production values place it firmly in the early 21st Century.

There were a few of the usual contemporary tweaks, amalgam characters and added/changed character backgrounds, though far fewer than expected which was pleasing. I’d say they had no impact on my enjoyment for better or worse.

Two other obstacles for the film were the overly familiar story and the impact made by earlier adaptations.

The former is simply a fact. At this point there can’t be many who don’t already know who did the killing in one of the best-known murder-mysteries of all time. This did affect the power of the ending. There was nothing in the way it was presented here to mitigate that and I felt performances and direction in the reveal and murder flashback were quite lacklustre, meaning the denouement was the inevitable damp squib.

On the latter, most of the film comes out quite favourably. As mentioned, it looks great and feels big-budget. Time will tell whether it becomes a classic in the same way as earlier adaptions.

Regarding Poirot himself, I feel David Suchet will remain the definitive Poirot for me, and yet the Albert Finney version of this particular story feels the most iconic and rewatchable, so he is also strongly associated with this story for me. Kenneth Branagh’s version turned out watchable enough. At the beginning I feared I was going to hate his portrayal when he threw in some curious and unnecessary vocal tics somewhere between a hack and a whinny (they reminded me of the comical noises Brian Murphy sometimes did to punctuate his lines as George Roper) but fortunately these seemed to be largely dropped as the film progressed. Overall I enjoyed his performance and while I prefer Poirot as a plain eccentric rather than someone evidently suffering from an obsessive-compulsive disorder as presented here I did appreciate him going in a different direction. The look of the character, too, felt new and pleasingly different, though I couldn’t help feeling he looked a bit young and rather too good looking to convince as this character.

Despite my nitpicking, I’d say this is an enjoyable film that one can tune into and enjoy a bit of glamorous escapism. It would make a great Sunday matinee, if anyone is looking for something to watch this afternoon.​
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Death On The Nile (2022)

1649063215271.png​

Watching almost back-to-back with Murder On The Orient Express the continuity is a little confusing. At the end of the earlier film Poirot was summoned to Egypt to solve a murder, teasing the sequel. But the story begins again here. Oh well.

Like the previous film, it’s a glossy-but-safe affair.

The cast of faces is familiar but rather more distracting here. Most distracting are the British comedians. French & Saunders are here, as is Russell Brand. Any one of them would have been fine and they do all perform well enough. But all three...?

Jen does the stock American accent she’s used since the Eighties and steals every scene in which she appears with her brilliant little looks. Dawn is simply Dawn. She doesn’t attempt any accent (thank goodness). French & Saunders are nearly always together so one just thinks of French & Saunders. Lovely as it is to see a favourite comedy pairing (I was a huge fan back in my schooldays) still together and still giving such great chemistry, it did affect my investment. It’s telling that perhaps the best moment for either was one in which they were separated: Dawn being interrogated by Poirot. I suddenly noticed that Dawn’s features are a little similar to Barbara Bel Geddes (her blinking in disbelief drew my attention to it). As the scene went on, I found myself thinking she was giving a pretty decent performance. But I never stopped seeing Dawn French.

I didn’t recognise Russell Brand until nearly the end. He certainly sounded different, though he still sounded rather more contemporary than a man of his position and time probably would. Despite the era, as played by the always-stylish Brand he ended up looking rather more like a 21st Century hipster than one might expect, and that was what I noticed in the character before I even realised who was playing him.

In terms of 21st Century inflections, Emma Mackey was the film’s biggest culprit. There’s no mistaking that she is anything but a Millennial. There was a lot of the contemporary RP/South-East UK mixed vowel thing going on (where the vowel sound of “you” has more of an “e” sound; or the “o” in “know” has more than a touch of an “i” sound).

Looking at the cast list I’ve just noticed that Armie Hammer was one of the leads, and now all I can think about is last year’s fabulously-titled thread from @Alexis


Another presence to have previously made headlines for their off-screen conduct was Letitia Wright. She was fine, but the scene in which her character “called out” Poirot for his idiosyncrasies felt particularly skewed through a Twenty First Century prism as played here.

Kenneth Branagh’s Poirot was fine, though this is a more emotional and tortured Poirot than previously seen, with a more in-depth backstory that, as shot, felt almost like a superhero origin. For me, less is more with Poirot and our knowledge thereof and since Branagh is Producer and Director as well as leading actor, the bigger, more “powerful” emotional moments for the character can’t help coming across as an indulgence rather than an authentic interpretation of the character. During a moment near the end where Poirot paused, mid-monologue as he unsuccessfully fought back tears in extreme close-up I found myself feeling irritated and moved at the same time.

The character’s obsessive-compulsive behaviours continued here and I noticed this extended to Branagh’s direction. Many scenes -particularly those featuring Poirot had a sense of order and symmetry, with characters and backgrounds very centred and even. At first I appreciated this psychological touch but, once noticed, it became distracting because it was done so darned much. While an occasional shot of symmetry gets the point across, after a certain point it felt too scientific and lacking in creativity and imagination. Almost anyone who takes even holiday photos knows after that first set that having every shot centred isn’t the best way to do things because it gets tediously samey. I found myself placing an imaginary grid over these numerous symmetrical shots and noticing when the shot was slightly off. And I don’t want to watch this kind of film with a technical eye. It was yet another unnecessary distraction from Agatha Christie’s wonderful story.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Murder On The Orient Express (2017)



“Does what it says on the tin” is probably the best way to describe this one.

If anything it’s a little better than my not-so-great expectations. It has all the hallmarks of a big-screen Agatha Christie adaption with many big names and familiar faces: Johnny Depp; Michelle Pfeiffer; Willem Dafoe. And of course Dame Judi and Olivia Colman who, I understand, have to appear in every British co-produced drama by law.

It looks very impressive visually, with stunning location work, gorgeous costumes and slick direction, though the latter was occasionally distractingly showy. Sometimes the directional showmanship worked (such as a wonderful shot of Dafoe through bevelled glass giving multiple images of his performance at once) but frequently it didn’t (there was that peculiar and unflattering aerial corridor shot just as the body was about to be discovered. And the introduction of Pfeiffer’s character - walking from carriage to carriage inside the train, but shot from outside with her passing multiple windows - was so nauseating I was forced to look away).

Delivery and accents are usually my biggest bugbears and I girded my loins as I pressed “play”. I’d expected the British accents to be contemporary RP, and indeed most were. Biggest vocal offenders were the cast’s young women (who also gave the poorest performances overall). The pretty dark haired governess with sparkly brown eyes did the young intern/Holly Willoughby modern RP thing of speaking well while t-dropping, which is a combination that simply didn’t exist in the early and mid 20th Century. Meanwhile, the blonde drug addicted one spoke with actual vocal fry, which sounded ridiculous (fortunately she wasn’t in it much). Despite the inauthenticity, it actually wasn’t too distracting, in part because - despite being a period piece - the production values place it firmly in the early 21st Century.

There were a few of the usual contemporary tweaks, amalgam characters and added/changed character backgrounds, though far fewer than expected which was pleasing. I’d say they had no impact on my enjoyment for better or worse.

Two other obstacles for the film were the overly familiar story and the impact made by earlier adaptations.

The former is simply a fact. At this point there can’t be many who don’t already know who did the killing in one of the best-known murder-mysteries of all time. This did affect the power of the ending. There was nothing in the way it was presented here to mitigate that and I felt performances and direction in the reveal and murder flashback were quite lacklustre, meaning the denouement was the inevitable damp squib.

On the latter, most of the film comes out quite favourably. As mentioned, it looks great and feels big-budget. Time will tell whether it becomes a classic in the same way as earlier adaptions.

Regarding Poirot himself, I feel David Suchet will remain the definitive Poirot for me, and yet the Albert Finley version of this particular story feels the most iconic and rewatchable, so he is also strongly associated with this story for me. Kenneth Branagh’s version turned out watchable enough. At the beginning I feared I was going to hate his portrayal when he threw in some curious and unnecessary vocal tics somewhere between a hack and a whinny (they reminded me of the comical noises Brian Murphy sometimes did to punctuate his lines as George Roper) but fortunately these seemed to be largely dropped as the film progressed. Overall I enjoyed his performance and while I prefer Poirot as a plain eccentric rather than someone evidently suffering from an obsessive-compulsive disorder as presented here I did appreciate him going in a different direction. The look of the character, too, felt new and pleasingly different, though I couldn’t help feeling he looked a bit young and rather too good looking to convince as this character.

Despite my nitpicking, I’d say this is an enjoyable film that one can tune into and enjoy a bit of glamorous escapism. It would make a great Sunday matinee, if anyone is looking for something to watch this afternoon.​
I watched this last year but I didn't enjoy it as much as you did.

I agree it's visually stunning although at time I felt the CGI was a bit too overused to the point where it was so distracting while watching I was identify which bits I thought were CGI and which bits were real.

I recently saw Belfast and was very complimentary about Kenneth Branagh's direction but in this film it seemed like he was trying too hard, going for more complex set ups and camera angles when something more straightforward would have been more effective. I was unsure about his interpretation of Poirot too. The moustache was almost as cartoonish than the CGI he used in the film and I felt his accent was overdone and dare I say at times I felt he was also overacting. The itself film lacked the tension and intrigue of the Albert Finney version and I didn't think it did justice to the story, in fact it made it feel a bit old fashioned.

Coincidentally, I'm planning to watch Death On The Nile tonight because I think it's a great story and I'm curious to see if Mr Branagh can do a better job with it.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Death On The Nile (2022)

View attachment 37039​

Watching almost back-to-back with Murder On The Orient Express the continuity is a little confusing. At the end of the earlier film Poirot was summoned to Egypt to solve a murder, teasing the sequel. But the story begins again here. Oh well.

Like the previous film, it’s a glossy-but-safe affair.

The cast of faces is familiar but rather more distracting here. Most distracting are the British comedians. French & Saunders are here, as is Russell Brand. Any one of them would have been fine and they do all perform well enough. But all three...?

Jen does the stock American accent she’s used since the Eighties and steals every scene in which she appears with her brilliant little looks. Dawn is simply Dawn. She doesn’t attempt any accent (thank goodness). French & Saunders are nearly always together so one just thinks of French & Saunders. Lovely as it is to see a favourite comedy pairing (I was a huge fan back in my schooldays) still together and still giving such great chemistry, it did affect my investment. It’s telling that perhaps the best moment for either was one in which they were separated: Dawn being interrogated by Poirot. I suddenly noticed that Dawn’s features are a little similar to Barbara Bel Geddes (her blinking in disbelief drew my attention to it). As the scene went on, I found myself thinking she was giving a pretty decent performance. But I never stopped seeing Dawn French.

I didn’t recognise Russell Brand until nearly the end. He certainly sounded different, though he still sounded rather more contemporary than a man of his position and time probably would. Despite the era, as played by the always-stylish Brand he ended up looking rather more like a 21st Century hipster than one might expect, and that was what I noticed in the character before I even realised who was playing him.

In terms of 21st Century inflections, Emma Mackey was the film’s biggest culprit. There’s no mistaking that she is anything but a Millennial. There was a lot of the contemporary RP/South-East UK mixed vowel thing going on (where the vowel sound of “you” has more of an “e” sound; or the “o” in “know” has more than a touch of an “i” sound).

Looking at the cast list I’ve just noticed that Armie Hammer was one of the leads, and now all I can think about is last year’s fabulously-titled thread from @Alexis


Another presence to have previously made headlines for their off-screen conduct was Letitia Wright. She was fine, but the scene in which her character “called out” Poirot for his idiosyncrasies felt particularly skewed through a Twenty First Century prism as played here.

Kenneth Branagh’s Poirot was fine, though this is a more emotional and tortured Poirot than previously seen, with a more in-depth backstory that, as shot, felt almost like a superhero origin. For me, less is more with Poirot and our knowledge thereof and since Branagh is Producer and Director as well as leading actor, the bigger, more “powerful” emotional moments for the character can’t help coming across as an indulgence rather than an authentic interpretation of the character. During a moment near the end where Poirot paused, mid-monologue as he unsuccessfully fought back tears in extreme close-up I found myself feeling irritated and moved at the same time.

The character’s obsessive-compulsive behaviours continued here and I noticed this extended to Branagh’s direction. Many scenes -particularly those featuring Poirot had a sense of order and symmetry, with characters and backgrounds very centred and even. At first I appreciated this psychological touch but, once noticed, it became distracting because it was done so darned much. While an occasional shot of symmetry gets the point across, after a certain point it felt too scientific and lacking in creativity and imagination. Almost anyone who takes even holiday photos knows after that first set that having every shot centred isn’t the best way to do things because it gets tediously samey. I found myself placing an imaginary grid over these numerous symmetrical shots and noticing when the shot was slightly off. And I don’t want to watch this kind of film with a technical eye. It was yet another unnecessary distraction from Agatha Christie’s wonderful story.
I scrolled though this tread and read and replied to your comments on Murder On The Orient Express without realising you had already watched Death On The Nile. Having read what you thought of this film I suspect I might feel the same way about it as I did about Murder On The Orient Express.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Misbehaviour (2020)

MV5BMGFmMzkwMTktYTY3Yi00Y2JlLWI1YzktMmM3NDQ5MmJiYjYwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA3MDk2NDg2._V1_.jpg


This is a UK comedy drama about events surrounding the 1970 Miss World cattle market competition when a group of women's liberation activists disrupted the ceremony. It stars Keira Knightly as one of the activists and she is an actress who for no discernible reason I find immensely irritating and that was the case here too. However, this is still a good little film and a bit of a history lesson too without being at all preachy.

Bob Hope presented the ceremony that year and he comes across as being an unpleasant person and at times cringingly sexist. I didn't realise before watching this film that after the previous time he presented the Miss World finals in the 1960s, he started an affair with the winner, taking her back to the USA with him so he could spend a lot of time with her, much to the annoyance of his wife. As well as highlighting the sexism of the Miss World pageant the film also touched on the awfulness of South African apartheid and how that country got around selecting from white young women only to represent them by picking a second black woman to represent Miss Africa South.

The rest of the cast are great and they always seem to be in the 1970s rather than playing as if the were from that era but with 2020s hindsight and sensibilities. I loved the ending when they showed all the main characters as they are now and what the went on to do and achieve.
 
Last edited:

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Death On The Nile (2022)

View attachment 37039​

Watching almost back-to-back with Murder On The Orient Express the continuity is a little confusing. At the end of the earlier film Poirot was summoned to Egypt to solve a murder, teasing the sequel. But the story begins again here. Oh well.

Like the previous film, it’s a glossy-but-safe affair.

The cast of faces is familiar but rather more distracting here. Most distracting are the British comedians. French & Saunders are here, as is Russell Brand. Any one of them would have been fine and they do all perform well enough. But all three...?

Jen does the stock American accent she’s used since the Eighties and steals every scene in which she appears with her brilliant little looks. Dawn is simply Dawn. She doesn’t attempt any accent (thank goodness). French & Saunders are nearly always together so one just thinks of French & Saunders. Lovely as it is to see a favourite comedy pairing (I was a huge fan back in my schooldays) still together and still giving such great chemistry, it did affect my investment. It’s telling that perhaps the best moment for either was one in which they were separated: Dawn being interrogated by Poirot. I suddenly noticed that Dawn’s features are a little similar to Barbara Bel Geddes (her blinking in disbelief drew my attention to it). As the scene went on, I found myself thinking she was giving a pretty decent performance. But I never stopped seeing Dawn French.

I didn’t recognise Russell Brand until nearly the end. He certainly sounded different, though he still sounded rather more contemporary than a man of his position and time probably would. Despite the era, as played by the always-stylish Brand he ended up looking rather more like a 21st Century hipster than one might expect, and that was what I noticed in the character before I even realised who was playing him.

In terms of 21st Century inflections, Emma Mackey was the film’s biggest culprit. There’s no mistaking that she is anything but a Millennial. There was a lot of the contemporary RP/South-East UK mixed vowel thing going on (where the vowel sound of “you” has more of an “e” sound; or the “o” in “know” has more than a touch of an “i” sound).

Looking at the cast list I’ve just noticed that Armie Hammer was one of the leads, and now all I can think about is last year’s fabulously-titled thread from @Alexis


Another presence to have previously made headlines for their off-screen conduct was Letitia Wright. She was fine, but the scene in which her character “called out” Poirot for his idiosyncrasies felt particularly skewed through a Twenty First Century prism as played here.

Kenneth Branagh’s Poirot was fine, though this is a more emotional and tortured Poirot than previously seen, with a more in-depth backstory that, as shot, felt almost like a superhero origin. For me, less is more with Poirot and our knowledge thereof and since Branagh is Producer and Director as well as leading actor, the bigger, more “powerful” emotional moments for the character can’t help coming across as an indulgence rather than an authentic interpretation of the character. During a moment near the end where Poirot paused, mid-monologue as he unsuccessfully fought back tears in extreme close-up I found myself feeling irritated and moved at the same time.

The character’s obsessive-compulsive behaviours continued here and I noticed this extended to Branagh’s direction. Many scenes -particularly those featuring Poirot had a sense of order and symmetry, with characters and backgrounds very centred and even. At first I appreciated this psychological touch but, once noticed, it became distracting because it was done so darned much. While an occasional shot of symmetry gets the point across, after a certain point it felt too scientific and lacking in creativity and imagination. Almost anyone who takes even holiday photos knows after that first set that having every shot centred isn’t the best way to do things because it gets tediously samey. I found myself placing an imaginary grid over these numerous symmetrical shots and noticing when the shot was slightly off. And I don’t want to watch this kind of film with a technical eye. It was yet another unnecessary distraction from Agatha Christie’s wonderful story.
I watched this last night and I enjoyed it more than Branagh's Murder On The Orient Express but that was probably due to me thinking Death On The Nile is a better story overall.

I agree with a lot of your comments. I liked that this film didn't overload the audience with CGI this time but sadly Mr Branagh's direction was just as annoying as it was in the previous film, possibly more so. Too many camera shots were trying to be too clever, for example several scenes being shot through textured glass windows and another one in which the camera panned between 2 windows, neither of which added anything to the viewing experience, in fact it only served to be a distraction from what was going on in those scenes.

Your observation about how he liked to stage scenes in a symmetrical way was spot on. Probably done to reflect the precision and order that Poirot usually displays (although this was less of a feature in Branagh's interpretation of the character) it was an interesting idea but it was overused to the point of being another distraction. There was one scene when Poirot walks from the middle of the bow of the ship into the cabin and all of the furniture and ropes on the left of the deck were exactly mirrored on the right and in the cabin all of the chairs, tables, lamps and people were in the same positions on the left and right of the screen. The whole thing had a vibe of stylish mise-en-scene being more important than the storytelling to the point where it felt very gimmicky. Speaking of gimmicks, the opening scene explaining why Poirot has such a ridiculously moustache just seemed like Branagh trying to justify his gimmicky choice of facial hair rather than adding anything of interest to the storytelling.

The other annoying distraction in the film was that almost everyone was speaking in an obviously fake accent. The exception was Gal Gadot who spoke in her normal voice and I thought she was one of the the best things in the film: she was stunningly beautiful, great screen presence and pulled out a great performance even though she was surrounded by a lot of mediocrity. I really would like to see her in a significant role in a strong drama to really showcase her talents.

I am being overly critical of the film because I didn't think it was bad but it deserved to be so much better.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
I watched this last year but I didn't enjoy it as much as you did.

I think it helped that I had really low expectations. I'd seen a trailer back when it first came out and found it really off-putting because it made it look like an action film or something. Thankfully it was an improvement on my fears.



The itself film lacked the tension and intrigue of the Albert Finney version and I didn't think it did justice to the story, in fact it made it feel a bit old fashioned.

I didn't mind the old-fashioned aspect, but I very much agree that it wasn't as effective as the Albert Finney version in terms of tension and intrigue.



sadly Mr Branagh's direction was just as annoying as it was in the previous film, possibly more so. Too many camera shots were trying to be too clever, for example several scenes being shot through textured glass windows and another one in which the camera panned between 2 windows, neither of which added anything to the viewing experience, in fact it only served to be a distraction from what was going on in those scenes.

I'm glad it wasn't just me who found it distracting.



Your observation about how he liked to stage scenes in a symmetrical way was spot on. Probably done to reflect the precision and order that Poirot usually displays (although this was less of a feature in Branagh's interpretation of the character) it was an interesting idea but it was overused to the point of being another distraction.

Yes. I appreciated what he was trying to do but it was as subtle as a sledgehammer and I think he fell back on it far too much at the expense of genuinely creative direction.



Speaking of gimmicks, the opening scene explaining why Poirot has such a ridiculously moustache just seemed like Branagh trying to justify his gimmicky choice of facial hair rather than adding anything of interest to the storytelling.

That whole flashback felt like a superhero origin story to me (having directed Thor, perhaps Branagh has been inspired by Marvel. He's said to have expressed interest in creating a "cinematic universe" based on Agatha Christie's books). I think we were told far too much about Poirot and that's a shame.



The exception was Gal Gadot who spoke in her normal voice and I thought she was one of the the best things in the film: she was stunningly beautiful, great screen presence and pulled out a great performance even though she was surrounded by a lot of mediocrity.

Yes. It was a nice performance and I must mention her character's introduction at the nightclub which looked very much like Old Hollywood glamour and quite Hitchcockian.



I am being overly critical of the film because I didn't think it was bad but it deserved to be so much better.

I know what you mean. It's a watchable enough film, but just felt as though it didn't live up to its potential.
 

Biggie

Telly Talk Hero
LV
4
 
Awards
14
Star Trek IV The Whale Kidnapping Time Travelling In A Stolen Klingon Magic Invisible Spaceship.

A big universe crossing planet destroying tube thing find Earth and wants to chat to a whale because f*** me who knows. So Jim and his band of disobedient but loyal crew time travel to the era when the movie was made, to the city it was filmed in to kidnap two and not quite formed whale so that they can speak to big giant galaxy crossing whale chatting planet melting spaced tube 300 years in the future. The whale bothering woman that bunged them some krill for supper then hitched a life back 300 in the future. She will shit her self when she clock all the other off world beings and that's just the first day.

So the two and a not yet born whale are to revel in incest to repopulate the seas or is say wassup to big giant planet raping space enough? The whole thing was late night candle light. No one was bothered about the whales to consider if they could survive in the seas and what's in or missing form them in star date blah blah.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Star Trek IV The Whale Kidnapping Time Travelling In A Stolen Klingon Magic Invisible Spaceship.

A big universe crossing planet destroying tube thing find Earth and wants to chat to a whale because f*** me who knows. So Jim and his band of disobedient but loyal crew time travel to the era when the movie was made, to the city it was filmed in to kidnap two and not quite formed whale so that they can speak to big giant galaxy crossing whale chatting planet melting spaced tube 300 years in the future. The whale bothering woman that bunged them some krill for supper then hitched a life back 300 in the future. She will shit her self when she clock all the other off world beings and that's just the first day.

So the two and a not yet born whale are to revel in incest to repopulate the seas or is say wassup to big giant planet raping space enough? The whole thing was late night candle light. No one was bothered about the whales to consider if they could survive in the seas and what's in or missing form them in star date blah blah.
Although the plot does challenge credibility, it still is one of my favourite Star Trek films.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
The Batman (2022)

MV5BOGE2NWUwMDItMjA4Yi00N2Y3LWJjMzEtMDJjZTMzZTdlZGE5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODk4OTc3MTY@._V1_.jpg


There must be something wrong with me. This film has had a lot of positive things said about it but I didn't like it. It wasn't all bad though: I thought it was beautifully shot, very atmospheric, Robert Pattinson did a good job as Batman and the film was dark and serious but still managed to stay true to its comic book origins. I really liked Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman and Colin Farrell was good as Penguin although I can't understand why they would hide him under so much prosthetic makeup that I couldn't recognise him, they might as week have gotten someone a lot cheaper to play the role.

I thought the film was overly long at 3 hours and I found it to be slow and boring at times. It's almost entirely shot in reduced lighting and for a lot of the dialogue the actors annoyingly spoke in whispers or they mumbled. The sound editing seemed to be all over the place, on occasions I could barely hear what was being said and on other occasions I needed to turn the volume down because it was too loud. Maybe I would appreciate it more after a second viewing.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Freaky Friday (2003)

iu


I'm fairly certain I've seen this one before. I've certainly seen at least clips of key scenes. And of course I would have watched the Jodie Foster original on rainy Bank Holiday afternoons when I was young. I also have that version lined up to watch at some point, but whimsy led me to the remake last night (a Friday, naturally), and it hit the spot.

Jamie Lee Curtis is the best thing in this. I remembered her being really funny as a girl stuck in her mother's body but, even with high expectations going in, I found myself laughing out loud. I don't know Lindsay Lohan for much other than the troubled teen reputation she had at one point, but she was likeable enough here. Mark Harmon was also very good, having a tougher job as the film's straight man. Harold Gould gets to go overboard as hard-of-hearing, short-sighted, panic-prone Grandad. Chad Michael Murray is in the perfect role as a supporting player, there for his pretty face (it's so refreshing to see how likeable he is here, and how much immediacy he brings just before beginning One Tree Hill, where his acting became more overwrought and pretentiously mannered by the year to the point I now find him painfully unwatchable). There's another future soap actor, with Julie Gonzalo as Lohan's bitchy ex-friend.

Naturally, there are also some terrific character actors playing various teachers, counselling clients, etc. Stephen Tobolowsky is one of those faces that crops up in everything. Willie Garson likewise. And stealing the show from everyone except JLC is Lucille Soong as the woman who causes the switch.

This is one of those films where the premise is so fun it's difficult for it not to work. Making it even more enjoyable is that - despite being made in 2003 - it feels very much like a late Nineties film.​
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Freaky Friday (2003)

iu


I'm fairly certain I've seen this one before. I've certainly seen at least clips of key scenes. And of course I would have watched the Jodie Foster original on rainy Bank Holiday afternoons when I was young. I also have that version lined up to watch at some point, but whimsy led me to the remake last night (a Friday, naturally), and it hit the spot.

Jamie Lee Curtis is the best thing in this. I remembered her being really funny as a girl stuck in her mother's body but, even with high expectations going in, I found myself laughing out loud. I don't know Lindsay Lohan for much other than the troubled teen reputation she had at one point, but she was likeable enough here. Mark Harmon was also very good, having a tougher job as the film's straight man. Harold Gould gets to go overboard as hard-of-hearing, short-sighted, panic-prone Grandad. Chad Michael Murray is in the perfect role as a supporting player, there for his pretty face (it's so refreshing to see how likeable he is here, and how much immediacy he brings just before beginning One Tree Hill, where his acting became more overwrought and pretentiously mannered by the year to the point I now find him painfully unwatchable). There's another future soap actor, with Julie Gonzalo as Lohan's bitchy ex-friend.

Naturally, there are also some terrific character actors playing various teachers, counselling clients, etc. Stephen Tobolowsky is one of those faces that crops up in everything. Willie Garson likewise. And stealing the show from everyone except JLC is Lucille Soong as the woman who causes the switch.

This is one of those films where the premise is so fun it's difficult for it not to work. Making it even more enjoyable is that - despite being made in 2003 - it feels very much like a late Nineties film.​
Interesting that you have such a positive view of this film. I've always had a soft spot for the original but never had any desire to watch the remake, maybe I need to review my opinion on that.
 
Top