

I guess I was thinking more of his '60s Motown/Ashford & Simpson stuff.Marvin Gaye did write for himself, mostly from the 70s onwards, but yeah, I agree, what difference does it make?
The basic plot actually goes back to an even earlier film - What Price Hollywood? (1932)4 versions?
I never knew that! I'm going to try and track down a copy of What Price Hollywood? as I'm now curious to see how it compares with the various versions of A Star Is Born.The basic plot actually goes back to an even earlier film - What Price Hollywood? (1932)
I totally agree. In fact I didn't really like Dev Patel in this film, not sure why, maybe because he was trying to be Australian when I'm used to only associating him with British or Indian roles and there must be many capable Asian Australian actors who have few opportunities to get lead roles in a major film. However, the scenes with the young "Lion" more than made up for the other limitations of the film.But it's this little guy, Sunny Pawar, who steals the show.
Yeah, although I thought Dev turned in a great performance, I didn't think he was right for the role either. But I think it was because in no way did his physical features make him believable as a grown up Sunny. So I found that quite jarring after the time jump and was preoccupied with it for the rest of the film.I totally agree. In fact I didn't really like Dev Patel in this film, not sure why, maybe because he was trying to be Australian when I'm used to only associating him with British or Indian roles and there must be many capable Asian Australian actors who have few opportunities to get lead roles in a major film. However, the scenes with the young "Lion" more than made up for the other limitations of the film.
I can't put my finger on why I didn't like him in the film but you are right about him being physically wrong. He was probably cast because he has a higher profile than many other south Asian actors of his generation rather than being ideal for the role. That said, he did a competent enough job.I think it was because in no way did his physical features make him believable as a grown up Sunny.
A line from the novel that leaps out of the newer version, "It is difficult for a woman to define her feelings in a language chiefly made by men to express theirs," doesn't appear at all in the earlier one.
I think it's her voice.It's strange -- even when Bullock's playing dark and edgy and apocalyptic, there's still something inherently perky about her