What was the last film you watched?

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44

Angela Channing

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
52
I watched Blackklansman yesterday and what a great film it is. I'm not a massive fan of Spike Lee's work but I think this is one of his best films, skilfully mixing action and comedy while telling an important message. Amazingly, for such an incredible story, the film was based on a true story.

8578_6205.jpg
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
Manchester by the Sea (2016)

91dUaILd0uL._RI_SX300_.jpg


Oh man, I loved this. The basic premise is the plot of any number of gooey TV movies but told in a very low-key, naturalistic way where it's all about tiny details and nuances of behaviour that constantly surprise you, rather than any big emotional grandstanding. All of the pain and the humour (and it's a lot funnier than I was expecting) arise out of the characters' unwillingness and/or inability to say what they're really feeling and thinking (which, having recently sat through Ghost: The Musical, where nobody does anything but talk -- and sing -- about exactly what they're feeling for hours, comes as a huge relief). The publicity leads you to expect to see more of Jen from Dawson' s Creek than you do, but the performances of Casey Affleck and the kid playing his nephew more than compensate. One to remember.
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
Carol (2015)

Carol_film_poster.jpg


Based on one of the few Patricia Highsmith novels I didn't read when I went on a Highsmith binge back in the day. Most of her books are psychological thrillers, often told from the point of view of the killer (a fair few have been turned into films, most famously Strangers on a Train and The Talented Mr Ripley) and they have a compelling coldness about them. This movie has the same kind of atmosphere, even though it's actually a love story between two women, one of whom is married with a kid, back in the '50s when such a thing was thinkable.

It's directed by Todd Haynes and has a similar cinematic sumptuousness to Far From Heaven, his homage to the Douglas Sirk melodramas of the 40s and 50s. This story feels like a melodrama too, but with all the emotions suppressed by the societal demands of the time. Even though it's set the decade before, you could imagine any of the characters showing up in Mad Men -- they share that same chicly-glamorous-yet-emotionally-confused vibe.

In the title role, Cate Blanchett is like the missing link between Marlene Deitrich and Gena Rowlands -- chilly and remote but ultimately sympathetic. In a parallel world, you could imagine someone like Joan Crawford or Barbara Stanwyck playing the part in black and white.
 
Last edited:

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
20
The Peanuts Movie (2015)

This is basically Peanuts's greatest hits. There's not much here that we haven't seen before but the pieces are put together quite nicely.

I've read some criticism of the 3D animation but I didn't mind the "action figures come to life" effect. It's similar to what they've used for Thunderbird's Are Go! I liked that they included some of the early characters like Violet, Patty and Shermy who sometimes get short shrift and the cute idea that Patty has a secret crush on Pigpen.

There's some contradiction of things that have been established in the TV specials but as reboots go this is a good one.
 

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
20
I find it interesting that they appear to have constructed an entirely new show rather that make a film version of the Barnum musical.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
I find it interesting that they appear to have constructed an entirely new show rather that make a film version of the Barnum musical.

Yes indeed. From what I understand, Barnum! is a much more accurate representation of the life of the man himself. Not that accuracy is everything, but it's certainly something.

TGS is basically Glee with a bigger budget. Lots of emoting and contemporary pop songs about empowerment and inclusiveness. It's very well intentioned, I think, and I can understand why it's so popular. There was a time when I'd have loved it. Frankly, though, I'd rather see Jim Dale on a unicycle.
 

Angela Channing

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
52
Yesterday I watched The Favourite (2018). It was ok but a bit disappointing considering hope its been lavished with critical acclaim and awards. It is however m0derately entertaining.

The film is bit like a chick flick lesbian romcom masquerading as a period drama. I don't think I heard the word "c*nt" used as often as it was used in this film but I guess nothing is shocking these days. Olivia Coleman plays Queen Anne like the Queen of Hearts from Alice In Wonderland but maybe that's a correct interpretation of the role. The film is beautifully shot, the settings are stunning and the 3 female leads are very strong with Rachel Weiss in particular delivering a really great performance.

the-favourite-banner.jpg
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18

Angela Channing

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
52
Bohemian Rhapsody. I do not recommend it, especially if you are a fan of Freddie Mercury of historical truth about real persons. What is more disturbing is that while they were showing Live Aid in July 1985 all I kept thinking was "oh my God, that is the summer of the Moldavian cliffhanger!"

I have a different opinion. I've watched Bohemian Rhapsody a few days ago and really liked it. It did come across as a sanitised version of Freddie Mercury's life rather than an historically accurate portrayal of who he was but once you put that aside there is so much more to enjoy in this film. The best thing in the film was the outstanding performance of Remi Malik who is so good in the role that you could almost momentarily forget that it is dramatic performance and think it's a documentary. Thank goodness that Sacha Baron Cohen dropped out of playing the role of Freddie Mercury because I can't imagine he would be anywhere near as good.

41swPNqJXHL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
 
Top