I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended..
This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?
***
What If
Part 16
***
"I don't believe it," Cliff said, his voice full of conviction. "I don't believe it for one second."
"Miss Wentworth's statement was pretty thorough, Mr. Barnes," McSween sighed. "We've been able to verify a lot of what she's told the officers who have her in custody."
"Pam would NEVER reach out to her!" Cliff railed, slamming his hand down on Ray's kitchen table. "If Pam needed help, she'd come to me!"
"Would she, Cliff?" Bobby said quietly. "The Pam we thought we knew would never take off and leave her son, but she did. Katherine's story makes sense, whether we like it or not."
"Harry, we're sure Katherine never crossed the Canadian border?" JR asked.
"Very sure. She's been in Vancouver all this time. Mostly been shifting money around from bank to bank, laundering it so she could send it to Pam without suspicion."
"I don't believe it," Cliff repeated.
"Do you want to fly up with me when I go to question her?" McSween asked
"Yeah, yeah I do," Cliff answered
"Alright. I'll let you know when all the arrangements are made."
"Well, one thing's for sure," Ray interjected, "Katherine isn't the one causing all the trouble around here. We're back to square one on that."
"More than likely," McSween agreed. "But can't rule her out completely until I talk to her and verify everything myself."
"Harry you get up there and get your business with Katherine done and get back quick," JR ordered him. "I don't like you being out of the county as long as some maniac is running around on the loose terrorizing my family."
"Understood, JR," McSween nodded. "In the meantime, it would be best if Mrs. Ewing and the children stayed here. There hasn't been any incident since you left Southfork."
"Don't you worry," JR told him. "Sue Ellen and the kids aren't stepping one foot off this property until this is over."
***
Sue Ellen rolled over, gingerly slipped out from under JR's arm, and climbed out of the bed. She reached for her robe as she gazed at her sleeping husband's face. "Oh, JR," she whispered, leaning down to place a soft kiss on his cheek, "why can't you always love me as much as you do right now?"
She tied her robe tightly around her waist and quietly slipped out of the bedroom. It had been such a chaotic night; first the news came that Katherine had been captured, then Detective McSween had come to inform them that she couldn't possibly be responsible for the threats against Sue Ellen and the boys.
Sue Ellen padded into the kitchen and flipped on the overhead light
"Oh,!" she jumped with surprise, "I'm sorry. I didn't realize anyone was in here."
"It's okay, Sue Ellen," Bobby said quietly. "I didn't want to leave Christopher tonight and I couldn't sleep."
Sue Ellen moved to the stove and started a pot of tea. "I won't ask why you're sitting down here all alone in the dark," she said quietly. "I know tonight's news was very difficult for you to hear."
Bobby watched her pour her tea into a mug and move to sit beside him at the kitchen table. "You know, Sue Ellen, I never thought I'd say this, but I don't care. Pam's been gone a long time now. She made the decision to leave me and Christopher. It was hard to deal with and it broke my heart. But honestly, right now I don't feel anything. I don't care where she is or what she's doing. I just want her to stay out of my life and away from my son."
"I'll never understand," Sue Ellen sighed. "Pam was such a wonderful mother and she loved you so much…"
"That Pam is dead," Bobby said flatly, "that Pam died in the accident."
Bobby leaned back in his chair and studied Sue Ellen's face. "I envy you and JR."
"What?" Sue Ellen almost choked on a sip of tea, "why?"
Bobby laughed and shook his head. "Your love is messy and painful sometimes, but it's always there. You're not leaving him, Sue Ellen. You won't break up the boys, and more importantly you can't live without JR. And JR can't live without you."
Sue Ellen said nothing. She sat silent for a long while, drinking her tea and considering what he'd said.
"JR said you want to tell Christopher about Kristen," Bobby finally broke the silence.
Sue Ellen brought her eyes up to meet his, "I just… I just think him knowing that he is truly my nephew would bring him some comfort."
Bobby nodded and dropped his gaze. "I want to thank you, Sue Ellen. You've been more than an Aunt to him since Pam left. For all intents and purposes, you've been his mother. We'll tell him together."
"Thank you, Bobby."
Bobby stood up and kissed her on the cheek. "My brother," he whispered in her ear, "is one hell of a lucky man."
***
The van was almost ready. The supplies had all been double checked and loaded. It was almost time.
The room had been cleaned and every surface had been wiped down with bleach to remove any DNA or finger priints. The cops were running around totally confused, looking in all the wrong places and at all the wrong people. The plan was so brilliant, it was almost a shame that no one would ever know who the true mastermind was.
Soon, Sue Ellen Ewing would be destroyed. Then it would be over.
***
"Just do what I asked you to," JR barked into the phone, "don't make me have to tell you again."
There was a knock on the study door and it opened to reveal Bobby. JR waved him into the room distractedly.
"I already told you I was sure, Harv," JR said, "just do exactly as I said and let me know when it's done."
JR slammed the phone down and turned his attention to his brother. "What's up, Bob?"
"Cliff and McSween just landed in Vancouver. They're meeting with Katherine in about an hour."
"Good, good," JR nodded. "The faster they talk to her the faster Harry can get his ass back here."
"I have to go into Dallas today," Bobby sighed. "A reporter had been pestering me for days. He won't tell me what it's about. Says it has to be done in person. JR…"
"What?" JR snapped.
"You haven't done anything I need to know about before I meet with the reporter, have you?"
JR grimaced. "What I'm doing has nothing to do with you or Ewing Oil, so I doubt it. But I guess it's possible that someone got wind about the threats against Sue Ellen. If this interview had anything to do with my wife, you keep your mouth shut."
"Don't worry, JR," Bobby said. "I know better than that."
"I have a lot of work to do," JR dismissed his brother. "Close the door on your way out."
***
"Sue Ellen," Ray said, poking his head into the kitchen, "there's a call for you. It's your lawyer "
"Thank you, Ray," Sue Ellen stepped away from the sink and picked up the phone hanging on the kitchen wall. "Hello, Mr. Marlowe, how are you?"
Ray moved past her and poured himself a cup of coffee. He had some paperwork he needed to do, but JR was holed up in his study with the door shut.
"That can't be!" Sue Ellen breathed out. All the color drained from her face and her voice was shaking. "Are you certain?"
Ray's eyebrows shot up with interest as he listened to her side of the conversation.
"I can't believe he would do that! No, no. Of course it's good news. Yes. I'll be there as soon as I can. Thank you Mr. Marlowe."
Sue Ellen hung up the phone and took a deep breath.
"Everything okay?" Ray asked her.
"Oh, everything is just wonderful!" Sue Ellen said with obviously false brightness. "I need you to drive me into Dallas. JR has agreed to all of my terms. My divorce papers are ready to be filed. My lawyer just needs my signature."
"Sue Ellen, you know you can't leave this ranch."
"I'm going, Ray," Sue Ellen said with determination. "You can either take me and protect me or I'm going alone. Obviously, JR has decided to end our farce of a marriage as soon as is humanly possible and I couldn't agree with that sentiment more! I'm going to get my purse, then we can go."
Ray's mouth dropped open in shock as he watched her stalk from the room. "Oh hell, JR," he muttered to himself, "what in God's name did you do?"
**"
"You look like you're about to cry, big brother," Kathrine giggled. "I don't know why you should be so upset. I'm the one going to jail."
"You're a vile excuse for a human being," Cliff told her. "I can't believe Pam would reach out to you for help."
"Believe it, Cliff," Katherine snapped. "You have been a failure and a disappointment every day of your life. Of course Pam would come to me and not you. She wanted it done right.."
"Where is she?" Cliff demanded.
"Oh, I'll never tell," Katherine flashed him an evil smile. "She has enough money to hide forever, Cliff. And I'll take her secrets to the grave - just to spite you and Bobby."
"We're done here," McSween interrupted. "Come on, Mr. Barnes."
Cliff shook his head and followed McSween out of the interrogation room.
"Should I call the Ewings and let them know?"
"No," Cliff sighed. "Let's just get out of this God forsaken place. We'll tell them when we get home."
"Alright, I'll have them get the plane ready. Do you want me to put some men on tracking down Mrs Ewing?"
"What?" Cliff asked, momentarily confused. "Oh, no," he answered once he realized McSween meant Pam. "It's obvious my sister doesn't want me or her son in her life. I'm happy to respect her wishes. I'm over it. Christopher and I are both better off with her out of our lives."
***
Sue Ellen sat on the edge of the bed with her head buried in her hands. How could he? How could he blindside her like this? She gave into the pain and heartbreak and tears began flowing from her eyes. Her body shook with the force of deep sobs.
He had actually convinced her that he wanted to make their marriage work. How could she have been so stupid? How had she let him hurt her like this again?
Ray stood in the hallway outside her bedroom door and listened to her cry. "JR, you horse's ass," he muttered.
He walked quickly down the hallway and knocked on the boys' door. "You two get ready," he barked, "we're going out to the barn. Meet me in the kitchen in five minutes!"
He turned and moved quickly back down the stairs. He didn't even bother to knock before flinging the study door open and bursting into the room.
"Your wife is upstairs crying her eyes out," he growled menacingly at a shocked JR. "She's insisting I drive her into town to sign the divorce papers you just served her lawyer. I'm taking the boys out to the barn to give you two some privacy. Fix this, JR. Right now."
He turned and stalked from the room without another word, leaving a stunned JR to stare after him in astonishment.
***
"Where did you get these?" Bobby demanded, "these records were sealed."
"They showed up on my desk one day. Delivered by messenger," the reporter answered. "I've tried to contact you repeatedly about it."
"But this…" Bobby paused to gather his thoughts. "This isn't newsworthy. It's personal. Surely your paper won't print this!"
"It's newsworthy because it's the Ewings," the reporter shrugged. "Honestly, I'm surprised you managed to keep this quiet as long as you have."
Bobby took a deep breath. "We're talking about a little boy. If you write this story, no one will be hurt except a child!"
"Maybe you should have thought about that while you were buying him. I have proof that you bought your son and that his birth mother is none other than your very own sister-in-law. Oh, you bet I'm going to write the story. I'm only talking to you as a courtesy and to ask if you wanted to respond with a quote."
"I'll sue this paper out of existence," Bobby threatened.
"Oh, you can try. But I have solid evidence to back up everything in the story. Plus, a lawsuit will bring a lot of publicity. Probably really help drive up our circulation.'
"We'll see about that," Bobby growled.
"You can keep those," the reporter said, nodding at the documents in Bobby's hands. "Those are just copies."
Bobby stood up slowly. He narrowed his eyes to dark slits, "You're done," he warned in a dangerously low voice. "I'll destroy you and this paper if you print one word about my son."
The reporter watched as Bobby threw a few dollars on the table to cover the cost of his coffee and stood up to walk angrily out of the cafe. "We'll just have to see about that, won't we, Mr. Ewing?"
***
JR stood outside the bedroom and pressed his ear to the door. He could hear the muffled sounds of her sobbing. He closed his eyes and silently cursed himself. He'd intended to talk to her about the divorce papers. He never thought Harv would get them over to her lawyer so damn fast.
He took a deep breath, turned the door knob, and slowly opened the door. "Sue Ellen…"
JR had no time to react before a lamp whizzed by his head and smashed I to the wall behind him.
"YOU BASTARD!"
JR's body tensed as she came towards him, her eyes blazing with pure fury.
"If you wanted the divorce, why didn't you just say so!" She flung herself against him and pounded on his chest with all of her strength. "Why play such awful games with me, JR? Why make me love you all over again? Why do you love hurting me so much?"
JR let her beat against his chest until she wore herself out. With one last ragged sob she drew back and smacked him hard across the face. He winced in pain but didn't move, waiting to see if she was finished.
Sue Ellen stood back and glared at him through her tears. "Why, JR?" she asked brokenly, "why did you do this to me?"
***
"I'm sorry, Mr. Farlow," the private detective told him. "Your son's last known location was Oklahoma. Six months ago, he was there working as a hand on a cattle ranch. Then one day, he just up and disappeared without a trace."
"Thank you," Clayton sighed. "Keep working on it. People don't just vanish into thin air."
"I'll do my best," the detective promised. "Thanks for the coffee."
Clayton watched him walk away and get into his car.
"Who was that," Ellie asked coming out to the patio from the kitchen.
"No one important," Clayton lied. "Just some business."
"You still planning to have those new horse's delivered to Ray today?"
"Yes," Clayton answered, glancing at his watch. "They should be arriving anytime now."
"I wonder how things are going with the questioning of Katherine Wentworth," Ellie sighed. "I'll be so glad when all this is over and the boys can come home."
"Yes," Clayton said thoughtfully, "nothing is better than having the whole family together is there?"
"Clayton, you sound strange. Are you sure everything is alright?"
"Of course, Ellie," he forced himself to smile at her. "Everything is just fine."
***
JR waited until he was sure the violent storm had passed then moved carefully towards his wife. "Sit down, Sue Ellen," he said softly. "Please?"
"No," she snapped. "I don't want to talk to you. You'll just spew out more lies. I'm going into town and signing our divorce papers!"
"I won't lie to you, honey," his voice was low and gentle. "I tried to tell you about all of this last night, but we got interrupted with the Katherine drama before I had a chance."
"You're despicable," her voice was strangled as tears started flowing freely again. "You made love to me last night! How could you?"
"Sue Ellen, I can explain all this. Please sit down and let's talk this through."
"There's nothing left for us to talk about!" JR tensed when she raised her hand to slap him again. He stopped the hand in mid air and forced it down to her side. "You want to know why I made love to you last night, Miss Texas?" he asked lowly. "I made love to you because I love you. I need you. I plan to make love to you every single night for the rest of our lives."
"How are you going to do that, JR?" Sue Ellen hissed. "We'll be divorced!"
JR brought his free hand up to her face and wiped away her tears. "Sue Ellen, I didn't sign those papers because I want a divorce. I signed them because I wanted you to know I don't give a damn about that Weststar stock. I thought I'd have a chance to explain this all to you before your lawyer ever got the papers."
Sue Ellen took a deep breath and shook her head. "JR that makes no sense. Of course you care about that stock. You're probably just trying to make me think you love me so I'll stay with you and let you vote my shares!"
"I'm sorry you think that, honey, but I know it's my fault that you do." He bent his head and brushed a soft kiss on her forehead. "And I knew that's what you'd think. Harv Smithfield is on his way over to explain the whole thing to you."
"Harv?" Sue Ellen's eyes widened with surprise. "Why can't you explain it to me?"
"Because you'd never believe me, honey," JR answered. "And that's my fault too. But that's over, Sue Ellen. The lying, the scheming, the other women - that's all done. I want you to stay with me more than anything, but no matter what you decide, I am done hurting you."
"JR….I don't understand any of this."
"Harv will explain it all," JR told her, letting her go and moving away from her. "Please just wait to talk to him before you do anything else. I'm not a man who begs Sue Ellen, but I am begging you."
He turned and walked out of the bedroom without another word, leaving a stunned Sue Ellen to her own thoughts.
"JR," she whispered to herself, "oh how I hope that for once in our lives you are telling me the truth."
***
"Hey, Ray," Bobby greeted his brother. "That's some fine looking horse flesh."
"Yeah, Clayton has a good eye," Ray agreed. "Tell you something else, those boys," he nodded at Christopher and John Ross, "are both going to be fine horse men."
"Runs in the family," Bobby sighed. "Things didn't go well with the reporter. He has a copy of Christopher's original birth certificate and the custody case file from when Lisa tried to take him from me. He knows I paid Faraday to get Christopher and he knows Sue Ellen's sister is the natural mother."
"Damn Bobby," Ray sucked in a deep breath. "He's not planning to print that, is he?"
"He is," Bobby said grimly. "Harv Smithfield and I are going to pay a visit to his publisher tomorrow."
"Damn. Hope you guys can stop them.
"Me too," Bobby agreed. "Harv is one of the best lawyers in Texas. Maybe he can find a way."
"Speaking of Harv Smithfield, he's up at the house right now."
"Why?"
"JR did something stupid," Ray shrugged. "Guess he's up there trying to pull our brother's sorry ass out of the fire."
"Ray," Bobby abruptly changed the subject, "have you told Clayton that you and Jenna might be moving to Switzerland?"
"Yeah. I told him. He doesn't seem to think I'll actually do it though."
"Will you actually do it?" Bobby asked.
"It's what Jenna wants," Ray sighed. "I don't have any desire to live in Europe, but I love that woman enough to try. I have a buyer for the ranch. Clayton should be able to keep his horse's here."
"Ray, you can't really believe Sue Ellen is actually going to divorce JR and buy this place," Bobby said incredulously.
"She might," Ray laughed. "She's pretty mad right now. I gave Sue Ellen the right of first refusal. My other buyer knows that. If she passes, he'll be ready to make the move."
"So you're really leaving? Damn, I'll miss you, Ray."
"I'll miss you too, Bob," Ray replied. "But I have to do what's best for me and mine."
"Understood," Bobby said. "How do you think things are going up there?" Bobby asked, gesturing towards the house.
"Well, I haven't heard any gun shots," Ray laughed, "So I guess Sue Ellen hasn't killed our brother. Yet, at least."
***
Sue Ellen was stunned. She sat behind Ray's desk in the study, staring at the papers in front of her in disbelief. "I.. I just can't wrap my brain around this."
"I want you to know I did my dead level best to talk JR out of this," Harv told her. "I would be a piss poor lawyer if I didn't."
"But… this leaves him with nothing."
"Oh, he'll be financially taken care of. His Weststar stock will fetch a prime price, and he's keeping ten percent of Ewing Oil for himself."
"Yes, but…" Sue Ellen couldn't help it. She lost complete control of her emotions and broke down crying.
"It also leaves him with his family, Sue Ellen." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a handkerchief and handed it to her across the desk. "That's all he seems to be interested in."
Sue Ellen used the handkerchief to dab at her eyes. "Harv, can you hold off on executing this for a day or two?"
"Possibly," Harv said. "May I withdraw our consent to the divorce?"
Sue Ellen stood up and nodded her head. "Yes, please do. I'll call Mr. Marlowe and tell him to drop everything on our end as well."
Harv smiled a wide, genuine smile. "We'll, well. I guess JR knew what he was doing after all."
***
"You need to tell your daddy!" John Ross whispered. He looked over at his uncles to make sure they weren't listening to them.
"No!" Christopher hissed. "He won't believe me. He never does!"
"Then tell my daddy! He'll believe you!"
"I don't want them to know, John Ross," Christopher was close to crying. "What if it really is from my mommy?"
John Ross glanced over at Ray and Bobby one more time to make sure they were still distracted. "Let me see it, Christopher."
"Be careful," Christopher said, handing the note over to his cousin.
John Ross read it quickly then folded it up and handed it back over. "Why would Aunt Pam send a note to you with a cowboy delivering a horse to Uncle Ray?"
"I don't know, John Ross, but it might really be from my mommy!'
"We have to tell!"
"No! She said not to tell or Daddy won't let her visit! Please John Ross, you have to promise!"
"Alright, I won't tell for now," John Ross gave in, "but when you sneak out tonight I'm coming with you."
"Okay, John Ross!" Christopher beamed. "Mommy will be glad to see you too!"
***