What If

K

Karin Schill

Guest
Interesting twist. Let's hope Nick is fine after running into JR. ;)

One of my favorite scenes from the original was when Lucy handed John Ross over to Sue Ellen and they all waved at him as he looked down at them through his hospital gown.
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended..


This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?


***


What If


Part 12


***


The room was so silent, you could have heard a pin drop.


"JR…" Sue Ellen took in a sharp breath. "What were you doing with Nicholas? And how did you find him?"


"I finally got Southfork's phone logs," JR told her. "There was a twenty minute call to here from a hotel out by the airport on the night of the break in. Captain Clarke and I went out there to see who made the call. Imagine my shock when I knocked on the room's door and Nicholas Pearce answered."


"JR, I…." Sue Ellen looked around the room and cringed at all the disapproving looks. "It wasn't me," she said softly. "I haven't talked to Nicholas since the day of the Weststar takeover. I swear to you, JR. Please, you have to believe me!"


JR walked over to his wife and gently placed his hands on her shoulders. "I know, honey. It's alright," he pulled her close to him for a hug. "Shhh, now," he rubbed her back soothing her as she finally broke down, sobbing softly into his shoulder. "It's okay, darlin', everything is going to be okay."


"I'm scared, JR," Sue Ellen cried. "I'm really frightened."


"I'll keep you safe, honey," JR promised. "You don't have to be afraid."


"I don't understand, JR," Bobby spoke up, "if Sue Ellen didn't take that call from Pearce, who did?"


JR looked over his wife's shoulder and locked eyes with his mother. "Do you want to tell them, or should I?"


"Ellie?" Clayton asked, surprised.


"Yes, Clayton," Ellie sighed. "I talked to him."


"Why Miss Ellie?" Sue Ellen sniffed.


"He called here looking for you," Ellie shrugged. "I asked him to leave you alone and made it clear that he and his calls weren't welcome at Southfork."


"Why didn't you tell us?" Bobby asked.


"Why would I?" Ellie reasoned. "It was personal and it has nothing to do with what has been going on here."


"How can you be sure about that, Miss Ellie?" Ray questioned. "Seems to me like a scorned lover would have a motive to hurt Sue Ellen."


"No," JR said, reluctantly letting go of his wife, "he isn't involved. I ruled him out."


"How, JR?" Ray demanded. "How can you be sure?"


"Some things don't need to be discussed with everyone," JR told him. "I'm sure. You're just going to have to take my word for it."


"Honey?" JR reached out and gently stroked Sue Ellen's cheek, "I need you to go upstairs and pack some things for you and the boys."


"Where are we going, JR?"


"To a hotel. I can't have you here anymore. It's too dangerous."


"About that, JR," Ray spoke up. "Me and Bobby have been talking about it. Jenna took Lucas and went to Switzerland this morning to visit Charlie. You and Sue Ellen and the kids can come stay at my place. I know it's close to Southfork, but it's not as big and there's only one road in and out. I think we can keep it secure - more secure than a hotel anyway."


"You sure about that, Ray?" JR asked. "You're inviting me to come stay under your roof?"


"Hell, JR," Ray said sheepishly. "We have our differences, but you're my brother. You'd do the same for me in a pinch."


"I would," JR grinned. "But I'd never let you live it down."


"What makes you think I'll let YOU live it down, JR?" Ray laughed.


"Thank you, Ray," JR said, "I mean it."


Ray nodded at his brother and dropped his gaze to the floor, suddenly embarrassed.


"Is that okay with you, darlin'?" JR asked, turning his attention back to Sue Ellen.


"Yes," she nodded, "just so long as you come with us."


"Don't you worry, Miss Texas," he whispered into her ear. "I promise I won't leave you again until this is over."


***

"Sue Ellen and the boys getting settled okay?" Ray asked, reaching into the fridge and pulling out two beers."


"Yeah, Bobby's up there tucking the boys in and Sue Ellen is so exhausted she'll be asleep soon," JR answered, taking the bottle Ray offered him. "Thanks again for this, Ray."


"Not a problem, JR. But…"


"What?"


"You sure about both Pearce and that Winger woman?"


"I'd like to know that too, JR," Bobby said, coming into the kitchen. "Got a beer for me too, Ray?"


Ray pulled another bottle out and handed it to Bobby. "Spill it, JR."


"Damn sure about Pearce," JR sighed as they all took seats around the kitchen table. "He's got a woman in that hotel room with him. A real pretty blonde. The hotel manager says they haven't left the room in two weeks. Steady diet of room service and booze."


"Why did he call Southfork?" Bobby asked.


"He wanted to let Sue Ellen know he was leaving his apartment for a while. Wanted her to bring back her key back and to pick up the belongings she had there."


"What did Miss Ellie say to him?" Ray asked.


"She told him Sue Ellen was a married woman with two little boys who needed her and he should get out of her life."


"Good for Mama," Bobby chuckled.


"And Mandy Winger?" Ray pressed.


"She hates Sue Ellen," JR admitted, "but I don't think she has it in her to threaten a child. Besides, she has some stupid fantasy that I'm in love with her. She wouldn't risk my wrath by threatening my family."


"JR, you're not still messing around with that girl, are you?" Bobby questioned.


"Absolutely not," JR growled. "Today was the first time I've seen her in over a year and I was only there to ask her questions."


"Well, that leaves Cryder, Wendell, and Wentworth I guess," Ray said thoughtfully.


"I don't think Wendell and Cryder would go after the children," JR sighed. "I would suspect them for the rig explosion, but not the personal attacks."


"And we're sure the two things aren't related?" Bobby asked.


"Pretty sure," JR said, taking a long pull on his beer. "As far as Kathrine goes…"


"What, JR?" Bobby prodded.


"I just can't see any reason for her to target Sue Ellen."


""I don't know, JR," Bobby said thoughtfully. "Crazy minds work in crazy ways. I'll tell you something that's been bothering me though. You're my brother, JR. I know you better than anyone except maybe Sue Ellen and Mama. I've lived under the same roof as you and Sue Ellen for 15 years."


"So? What's your point, Bob?"


"I had no idea you liked to send Sue Ellen yellow roses. Who would know? A secretary? A mistress?"


"Sly," JR said. "No other woman. You can't keep peace with the mistress if she catches you sending the wife flowers."


"That's exactly why it's been bothering me, JR. Whoever is doing this, they know you or Sue Ellen VERY well."


"Hey, JR," Ray cut in, "you said you got the phone logs from Southfork. Where'd that call to Sue Ellen about the boys being hurt come from?"


"Payphone in Braddock," JR answered. "They're close; whoever is hurting my family is real close."


***


"JR?" Sue Ellen sat up and covered her eyes to shield them from the light.


"Sorry, darlin'," JR said, surprised to see her in the bed.. "I thought you'd be sleeping in the same room as the boys."


"I tried," Sue Ellen laughed. "They kicked me out. Something about being tired of being treated like babies."


"Sorry, I woke you, honey. I'll go down to sleep on the couch."


"Wait, JR…" Sue Ellen hesitated, struggling to find the right words.


"You want me to stay for a little while darlin'?" He asked.


"Please," Sue Ellen smiled and held her hand out to him.


He took her hand and sat down facing her on the bed, "I don't want you to be afraid. Ray and I will both be here with you 24/7 until we catch that maniac. Harry's got some officers guarding the house too."


"What about Weststar, JR? Can you afford to be out of the office?"


"I can do a lot by phone," JR assured her. "Sly can come out when I need her to. My family is more important than Weststar, Sue Ellen."


"You said that with such sincerity that I almost believe you mean it."


"I do mean it, Sue Ellen," JR growled. "And I don't want to fight with you tonight."


Sue Ellen raised her chin and looked him square in the eye. "How's Mandy?" she asked sweetly.


"Better than Pearce," JR snapped.


Sue Ellen dropped her gaze quickly to the bedspread. "I guess I deserved that."


JR sighed and reached out to gently stroke her cheek. "No you didn't, darlin'. You only went to Pearce because I pushed you into it."


"Yes, but…"


"No buts, Sue Ellen," JR whispered. "Mandy and Pearce are both in the past. We can't change it, but we don't need to hurt each other over it constantly anymore."


"Yes," Sue Ellen whispered shakily, "Mandy and Nicholas are in the past, but they'll be replaced by others in the future."


JR leaned into her, bringing his face so close to hers that their noses touched. "There won't be any others, Sue Ellen. At least not for me."


"Save it, JR," Sue Ellen jerked her face away from him. "I've heard it all before."


JR sat back and studied her face carefully. "I know you have, Sue Ellen. Let's just drop it for tonight. We're both tired and under enough stress as it is. Can't have a one night cease-fire?"


"Alright, JR," she softly agreed. "I was so terrified today."


"I know, darlin'. You're safe now. I promise." He leaned into once again and placed a fleeting kiss on her forehead. "Do you want me to stay with you tonight?"


"I…" Sue Ellen's face flushed to a bright red shade. "We can't, my lawyer said…"


JR threw back his head and laughed. "Harv told me having sex would be considered a reconciliation. Guess your lawyer told you the same thing."


Sue Ellen was too embarrassed to speak so she simply nodded and returned her gaze to the bedspread.


"Well, Miss Texas," JR's voice turned silky and seductive, "I won't tell your lawyer if you don't tell mine."


"JR!"


He let out another low chuckle and took her hand in his. "I'm just teasin' you darlin'. God knows I want you and the spirit is willing, but the body and the mind are both damn tired. I won't try to seduce you tonight. I'll just be with you so you don't have to be alone."


"Promise, JR?"


"I promise, darlin'." He pulled her hand up to his mouth for a quick kiss then reached out and turned off the light.


"Goodnight, Mrs. Ewing."


"Goodnight, JR."


***
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended..


This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?


***


What If


Part 13


***


Sue Ellen sighed contentedly and snuggled closer to the warmth. It felt so good - so safe. "I must be dreaming," she thought, squirming even closer to the source of the comforting heat.


"Good.morning, Miss Texas."


Sue Ellen's eyes snapped open in startled surprise, "JR…" she breathed out. His deep blue eyes were focused on hers. She tried to turn her head away from his piercing gaze but his hand on her cheek prevented her from moving.


"Feel, better?" He asked in a voice still husky from sleep. "You slept like a baby last night."


"I feel fine, JR," she answered. Her voice sounded breathless even to her own ears. "Did you sleep alright?"


"I had some trouble," he confessed. "It felt so good to have you in my arms that I didn't want to miss a minute of it by falling asleep."


Sue Ellen took a deep breath as she suddenly became aware of her position. JR was lying on his side and she was wrapped tightly in his arms. Her right leg was draped over his hip and she could feel the stark evidence of his early morning arousal. "JR," she pushed lightly against his chest, "we'd better get up. The boys will be awake soon."


"It's not even 5 a.m. yet, darlin'," JR told her dipping his head to nuzzle her ear, "we have plenty of time before the boys wake up."


He moved his hand to lightly stroke the long leg resting on his hip. "I miss this," he whispered "I miss you, Sue Ellen."


Sue Ellen shuddered with the deep wave of desire that swept through her body, settling with tingly insistence at the center of her womanhood. "JR," she protested weakly, "you promised you wouldn't try to seduce me."


JR growled into her ear and moved her onto her back. He rolled with her and settled his legs between hers. He bent his head and captured her lips in a long, searching kiss.


"I'm not seducing you, Sue Ellen," he said when he finally lifted his head. "I'm showing you how much I have missed you, how much I need you, how much I love you."


He buried his head against her neck, placing soft, gentle kisses against her sensitive skin. Sue Ellen's body betrayed her, she.moaned and her hips ground into his manhood against her will. "Please….please JR…"


JR lifted his head and looked deeply into her eyes. "Please what?" he demanded lowly. He moved his hand between their bodies and cupped her breast, using his thumb to tease her nipple, "please stop?"


Sue Ellen shook her head violently in protest. JR chuckled and moved his other hand to stroke the center of her pleasure, the one spot he had learned to manipulate from years of lovemaking. "Please what, Sue Ellen?"


"JR…" she couldn't form the words. She reached up and pulled his head down to hers, rising up to greet his mouth in a deep, desperate kiss.


He kissed her with such passion she thought her heart might stop from the pleasure crashing through her. His fingers stroked at her until she exploded in wave after wave of satisfied fulfillment. "JR! Oh my GOD"! she cried out as the world burst before her eyes in bright, colorful lights.


JR watched her, fascinated by the look of bliss settling across her face. He leaned down and placed his lips against hers for another deep kiss. "Sue Ellen," he breathed against her mouth, "will you let me make love to you, honey?"


Sue Ellen answered him by lifting her hips to meet his again. JR groaned and swiftly entered her. His eyes closed and his jaw clenched at the raw, powerful pleasure of feeling her moist warmth surround him. "Yes, JR," she urged him, feeling the pressure build inside her all over again as he thrust in and out of her slowly and deeply.


The room was quiet except for their heavy breathing, Sue Ellen's gasping, and JR's groaning. They made love as the sun came up, peaking its light through the curtain of the bedroom window.


Sue Ellen felt as if she were drowning in the pleasure of having this man inside her again. No one else had ever made her feel so desired, so wanted. "JR…" she whispered as they reached the peak of climax together.


JR brought his hands up to cup her face. He held her head steady, forcing her to look into his eyes. "I love you, Sue Ellen," he growled as he thrust into her one last time, bringing them both to the completion of their passion, "I only have ever loved you."


***


"It sure is quiet around here without the boys," Lucy sighed, pushing her breakfast around on her plate with her fork.


"Yes," Miss Ellie agreed, "I already miss them."


"Where is Clayton off to so early this morning?" Lucy asked her grandmother.


"He went into Braddock to look at some horses. Ray was supposed to go, but everyone thought it would be better for him to stay at the house to watch over Sue Ellen and the boys."


"This whole thing is so crazy, Grandma. I hope they figure it all out soon. My nerves are completely shot. I can't even imagine how Sue Ellen must feel."


Miss Ellie was silent, leaning back in her chair and sipping her coffee.


"You okay, Grandma?"


"Yes. I suppose I should be used to this sort of drama after all these years. I keep waiting for Sue Ellen and JR to grow up and stop making each other so miserable."


"They should just get it over with and get divorced and stay divorced," Lucy groused. "Would make life a lot easier on everyone."


"That will never happen, Lucy," Miss Ellie replied flatly. "JR is a complicated man. He has many character flaws and has caused this family a lot of heartache. But one thing I know for certain; JR has really only ever needed two people in his life to love him, his father and his wife. As awful as he treats her sometimes, he loves She Ellen, and he needs her to love him back. He won't ever let her go."


"He might not have a choice," Lucy replied.


"There's always a choice, Lucy," Miss Ellie said, "always. I just pray that for once in his life, JR makes the right one."


***


Sue Ellen sat at the kitchen table, nursing a cup of coffee and silently cursing herself. How could she have let it happen? How could she have traded her dignity one more time for a few minutes of bliss in his arms?


She blushed at that thought. It had been considerably more than just a few minutes. JR had made sweet, passionate love to her for hours. They probably would have stayed in bed, reveling in each other all day if the sounds of the boys.moving around in the hallway hadn't demanded their immediate attention.


"Mornin', Sue Ellen,"


"Good morning, Ray," she managed a small smile. "Thank you again for opening your home to us."


"No problem," Ray told her, filling a mug with coffee and.moving to sit across from her at the kitchen table. "I'm glad for the company. This house gets pretty lonely when Jenna and Lucas are gone."


"How does Charlie like living in Switzerland?"


"She loves it," Ray sighed. "Truth be told, Jenna loves it over there too. She wants to move there full-time. It wasn't possible because of the horse business and financial issues, but with JR giving me back my ten percent stake in Ewing Oil, it might actually work out for us."


"JR did what?" Sue Ellen asked, her shock evident in her voice.


"He didn't tell you?" Ray asked, surprised. "Damn. Me and my big mouth. Sue Ellen...JR signed Ewing Oil back over to the family. He kept forty percent, gave Bobby forty, and gave me and Gary ten."


"Gary?" Sue Ellen repeated. "He gave Gary part of Ewing Oil?"


"Yeah," Ray laughed. "Believe me, I was shocked too. He finally had it all. Everything but the name, and he just handed it all back over to the family. Bobby and I figured there was some kind of angle, but we couldn't work it out. Finally we just decided not to look a gift horse in the mouth."


Sue Ellen's eyes narrowed and she growled under her breath. "It's not hard to figure out, Ray. It's the divorce. He was probably worried I'd end up with half of Ewing Oil."


"I don't know, Sue Ellen," Ray mused. "Even if you did end up with half, John Ross would eventually get it all. Seems like that would be more appealing to JR than me and Gary having any control."


Sue Ellen made no reply, simply turning her coffee mug in circles.on the table in front of her.


"You still planning on going through with the divorce?" Ray finally asked.


"Yes," Sue Ellen said quietly, unable to keep the sadness out of her voice.


"Well then...if Jenna and I decide to move to Switzerland, I'm gonna need to sell this place. I know it's not fancy or elegant, but it's close to Southfork. John Ross could be with both of his parents if you lived here."


Sue Ellen gasped with surprise. "Ray… it… that would be perfect…"


"Just think it over a while," he said, standing up to put his empty coffee mug in the sink. "I haven't decided to sell yet, but if I do, I'll give you the option to buy before I put it on the market."


"Thank you, Ray," Sue Ellen smiled at him.


"Well," Ray said, nodding at her, "I'd better get a move on. I promised two little boys who have been trapped inside that I'd take them out to the barn to visit the horses."


"Are you sure that's safe?"


"Completely safe," Ray assured her. "The land is flat. You can see for miles. The only ones here besides us are McSween's men. I'll have them back in by lunchtime. JR is in the study working so you won't be alone."


Sue Ellen smiled at him again and watched as he walked from the kitchen to go collect the boys. "What are you up to, JR?" she wondered out loud to the empty room.


***


"No. Not interested."


"Come on, Cliff," Marilee rolled her eyes, "this is the chance you've been waiting for your whole life!"


"I said not interested, Marilee. I'm not involving myself in your petty scheme about JR Ewing."


"What's wrong with you, Cliff? Getting soft in your old age?"


"Ha! Not a chance, Marilee. I'm not getting soft, just getting smart. JR controls the biggest oil outfit in Texas. I'm not yanking that chain for no good reason."


"The fact that it's JR Ewing should be the only reason you need," Marilee snapped.


"Well it's not. And this.meeting is over," Cliff snapped back at her. He reached out and pressed the intercom button on his phone,"Jackie, can you please come.in here and see Mrs. Stone out?"


"You'll regret this, Cliff!" Marilee warned, standing up.


"Oh, I seriously doubt that, Marilee."


His office door opened and Jackie appeared. She walked to his desk and handed him an envelope. "This just came by messenger," she told him. "It's marked private."


Cliff waited until she and Marilee disappeared behind the closed door then opened the envelope. "Holy hell," he sucked in a deep breath. He grabbed his phone and punched in the number. "Yeah, Bobby, it's Cliff. I'm at my office. How fast can you get over here? We have a serious problem."


***


Sue Ellen turned off the TV and threw the remote on the table in frustration. She couldn't concentrate on anything; her thoughts kept stubbornly returning to JR and his devastating lovemaking. "Damn you, JR," she seethed


"What have I done now?" an amused voice asked from the doorway.


"You know what you did," she spat out. "You got your reconciliation and reset the clock on our separation date!"


JR.chucked and moved across the room to take a seat beside her on the couch. "Is that what's got you so frustrated, Miss Texas?" he asked, his voice soft and silky, "or is it something else?"


"What else could it possibly be, JR?"


"Oh, I don't know," he teased her, "maybe this morning reminded you how good it's always been between us. Maybe your frustration is coming from the thought of having to live without that magic for the rest of your life. I mean, come on Miss Texas," his voice dropped even lower, "you weren't exactly complaining this.morning - unless all those moans and groans were really protests."


"Damn you, JR," she said again.


JR laughed out loud and shook his head at her. "You don't have to worry, darlin'. I won't be spilling the beans to Harv Smithfield. Your sexy secrets are all safe with me."


"You… you won't use what happened this morning to delay the divorce?"


"No," JR said solemnly. "But don't let that give you a false sense of security, darlin'. I'm not going to just stand by and let the only woman I have ever loved walk out of my life."


"You're going to fight me?"


"Yes. I'm going to fight like hell, but not the way you think."


"JR, I.don't understand…"


"I'm not going to use lawyers and courts, Sue Ellen. I'm just.going to love you. I'm going to spend every day I have with you being the husband I always should have been to you."


"We've been through all this before," Sue Ellen sighed.


"Not like this," JR told her.


"Nothing has changed, JR," Sue Ellen told him bitterly.


"Everything has changed, Sue Ellen. For the first time in our lives together, I realize I might actually lose you for good. I can't live without you."


Sue Ellen turned her head away and he reached out to gently cup her chin and force her to face him again. "I mean it, Sue Ellen. This time it's not about John Ross, or Ewing Oil, or anything else but you and how much I love you. I know you don't believe me. I don't blame you. But it's true. And I am going to do my best to love you out of your mind until I convince you."


"It's too late, JR. Years too late."


"I refuse to believe that, Sue Ellen," he sighed, standing up and moving to the door. "Ray will be in with the boys in a few minutes. We should get some lunch ready for them."


Sue Ellen's breath caught in her throat as she watched him leave the room. Could it really be different this time? Could he really mean it?


"Stop it," she admonished herself, shaking away those love sick thoughts. "Be strong, Sue Ellen Ewing. You will NOT let him fool you and break your heart again."


***


"We have to tell JR."


"WE don't have to do anything, Bobby," Cliff shot back. "YOU tell him."


"You're probably right, Cliff," Bobby sighed. "When he sees this, his first reaction may very well be to punch you in the face."


"Exactly," Cliff agreed. "And I'm not taking that chance."


Bobby sighed heavily and looked at the picture again. "Cliff, are you sure about when this was taken?"


"No doubt about it at all. It was right after Pam's accident. Sue Ellen was coming into the hospital as I was leaving. She gave me a hug and told me how sorry she was about Pam."


"That was a long time ago," Bobby reasoned. He picked up the newspaper clipping that had come to Cliff in the confidential envelope with the snapshot of him and Sue Ellen hugging. The clipping was of a very old story about Cliff claiming to be the father of John Ross and demanding a blood test to prove it. On the bottom of the clipping, "Once a whore, always a whore!" was written in big, bold, red letters. "Whoever sent this has been watching Sue Ellen for months."


"Or years," Cliff said. "Bobby… I mean I hate to even say this, but could it be...well, could it be JR doing all this?"


"What? No! How could you think such a thing, Cliff?"


"Are you serious?" Cliff replied cooly. "JR has done a lot worse. Seems like if he really thought Sue Ellen was taking John Ross and leaving him for good, he'd do anything to keep her with him; up to and including scaring the hell out of her."


"Cliff, that's an awful thing to say," Bobby protested. "Even JR wouldn't stoop that low."


"Are you sure about that?" Cliff asked, "because I'm sure as hell not."


Bobby's eyes grew wide as he considered the truth of Cliff's words. JR had repeatedly shown his willingness to stop at nothing to get his own way. He'd mortgaged Southfork, gotten into bed with terrorists, cheated on the woman he loved over and over again…


"No," Bobby said finally, "JR wouldn't use the boys like this. Even he has his limits."


"I hope you're right," Cliff said. "Because he's in danger of losing a lot more than his wife right now."


"What are you talking about, Cliff?"


"Marilee Stone came by to see me this morning. She threw her lot in with Kimberly Cryder and Jeremy Wendell. They're going after JR, and she made me a very attractive offer to join them."


"And?"


"And I said no. JR and I called a truce and I intend to keep my word. But Bobby...they're not just coming after JR; they're coming after Ewing Oil."


"That means they're coming after me."


"Exactly," Cliff agreed. "Just thought you ought to know, because believe me, Bobby, they want to destroy JR Ewing. And they don't much care who else gets hurt in the process. Be careful."


"Don't you worry about me, Cliff," Bobby said, his voice thick with conviction. "I may not be as underhanded as JR, but I know how to protect me and mine. They step on my toes, JR will look like a mild annoyance by the time I'm done with them."


***
 

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
I don't know how I missed this!!

I have to say, it starts off eerily similar to a short story I wrote on here a while ago, but I'm delighted that you've created a full work around this particular storyline!! It always makes me so mad that the writers didn't take this particular angle and do something with it and not force us to be objected to piggy nose Cryder and mullet man Pearce.

I'm really looking forward to reading it in detail (when I get home!)
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended..


This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?


***


What If


Part 14


***


JR stood in the living room doorway and silently watched his family play a card game. John Ross, Christopher, and Sue Ellen were all sitting on the floor, surrounding the coffee table. They were laughing and talking and having a good time with one another.


His eyes focused on his wife and it occurred to him how much she had changed over the years. The Sue Ellen Sheppard he married wouldn't have been caught dead dressed in a sweatshirt and jeans, hair pulled back in a ponytail, sitting on the floor playing with children. He had loved the old Sue Ellen Sheppard - the dignified, elegant, and breathtakingly beautiful beauty queen; but this Sue Ellen Ewing - the wife, the mother, the woman who could be a ruthless business woman one minute and an empathetic comforter the next - his feelings about her couldn't be expressed with a simple word like love. He was in awe of her. He needed her. He dreamt of her. She completely owned every corner of his soul.


"Wanna play, Uncle JR?" Christopher's question interrupted his thoughts. JR's first inclination was to refuse. He had a lot of work left to do in the study, but the hopeful smile on Christopher's face stopped him. He glanced at John Ross and at Sue Ellen. John Ross was smiling, Sue Ellen looked uncomfortable.


"Sure," JR finally answered, sauntering into the room and taking a seat on the floor between the two boys. He heard Sue Ellen gasp in surprise. He turned his head to face her and gave her a sly wink. "I'm not too good at Go Fish," JR told the boys. "How about some poker? Five Card Draw sound like fun?"


***


"Clayton? It's a little early in the day for that, isn't it?"


Clayton finished making his drink and nodded at his wife. "Rough day, Ellie."


"What happened?" Ellie asked, concerned.


"Oh, nothing too dramatic," Clayton told her. "One of the cowboys at the horse sale used to ride the rodeo with Dusty. He asked about him. Just made me realize how long it's been since I've talked to my son. I don't even know where he is or how to find him."


"I'm sure it's very painful for Dusty to be around the family," Ellie sighed. "I've always regretted that."


"It is what it is," Clayton shrugged. "I just wish he would call or write and let me know how he's doing."


"I'm sure he'll come around someday," Ellie assured him.


"I hope so, Ellie," Clayton sighed, "because I miss him. I really do."


***


Sue Ellen frowned to herself. She had enjoyed playing cards with JR and the boys. It was very unusual for JR to take the time to play games. She wished it could have lasted longer, but Bobby and Ray had come into the house, taken JR into the study, and closed the door.


JR seemed to really be trying. He was kind and considerate and generous with his time and attention. Sue Ellen felt her resolve to end their marriage melting and had to repeatedly remind herself that JR had played the loving husband and father before. He always went back to his old ways as soon as he got her back into his bed.


"Aunt Sue Ellen?"


Sue Ellen looked up and saw her nephew standing in her bedroom doorway. "Yes, Christopher?"


"I wish we could stay at Uncle Ray's forever."


Sue Ellen held her hand out and Christopher came into the room, climbing on the bed beside his Aunt.


"You like it here?" Sue Ellen asked.


"Yeah," he nodded. "Nobody is fighting here. You laugh a lot more. Even Uncle JR is nice to everyone."


Sue Ellen laughed. The wisdom of a child was an awesome thing. "Uncle JR is always nice to you, isn't he?"


"Yeah," Christopher said, "when he knows I'm listening."


"What do you mean by that?"


"I heard him talking to Uncle Ray one time. They were arguing. He said Lucas was a real Ewing and should be raised like one and that my daddy needed a real son."


"Oh, Christopher," Sue Ellen sighed, "your Uncle JR says mean things all the time. He never means them, he just gets carried away sometimes. He says unkind things about me all the time, but he loves me very much. And he loves you too. And you ARE your daddy's REAL son."


"I hope Uncle JR loves me 'cause I sure love him. I just wish I had real Ewing blood. Then he'd have to love me."


"You don't need Ewing blood to make him love you," Sue Ellen assured him, pulling him close for a tight hug, "he already loves you with all his heart. I promise you, Christopher. We ALL love you."


***


"When were you planning to tell me this, JR?" Bobby demanded.


"Well, to be perfectly honest I didn't intend to tell you at all," JR confessed. "I took care of it when I signed Ewing Oil back over to the family."


"There's going to be trouble if Cryder and Wendell manage to get the rest of the cartell to throw in with Mariliee," Bobby told him.


"Yes," JR agreed, "that's why I'm telling you now."


"I don't understand, JR," Ray spoke up, "if you and Sue Ellen control the majority of Weststar stock, how could they oust you as CEO?"


"Well, it'll be tough. But that oil rig explosion hurt me. It's possible they get the Board to remove me. A lot of the stock I control is technically owned by others; Sue Ellen, April, a few other associates. Enough of them turn against me and I'm done. That's why I wanted to get Ewing Oil's assets separate from Weststar. If I lose Weststar, at least Ewing Oil is safe."


"Anything new on the explosion?" Bobby asked.


"We know it was sabotage. We know one of the dead men had the device on him. That's it."


"And we're absolutely sure this has nothing to do with the personal threats?" Ray asked.


"Sure as we can be," JR answered. "Speaking of which, Barnes find out who delivered the envelope?"


"Fits the description of the guy who delivered the flowers to Southfork, but no messenger service in Dallas has a record of making the delivery.," Bobby informed him. "Female caller, male delivery guy. Seems like we're looking for at least two people."


"Suspicious they'd bring Barnes into this," Ray said thoughtfully. "Given the history of bad blood between JR and Cliff, how did they even know Cliff would tell anyone about getting the envelope?"


"That's a damn good question, Ray," JR growled. "Whoever sent that to Barnes had to have a reason to want to drag him into this mess."


"Back to Katherine?" Bobby questioned.


"Maybe," JR shrugged, "I'll call McSween and get him up to speed. In the meantime, don't say anything about this to Sue Ellen. There's no reason to upset her until we know more."


"I don't like lying to her JR," Ray told him.


"She's MY wife," JR snapped. "I'll tell her when the time is right."



***

"How're you feelin' darlin'?" Sue Ellen put her book down on the bed beside her and looked up at her husband.


"Frustrated," she snapped at him. "You and Bobby and Ray all have been acting strange tonight. What are the three of you hiding from me?"


JR sighed deeply, came into her bedroom, and shut the door behind him. He hadn't wanted to upset her, but Ray was right; lying to her would just make things worse. "Cliff Barnes got a disturbing delivery today."


"Cliff?" Sue Ellen repeated. "What does Cliff have to do with anything?"


JR moved to the bed and sat down beside her. "It was a picture of you and him hugging at the hospital after Pam's accident and an old newspaper article about John Ross's paternity test."


Sue Ellen was quiet for a while, considering what JR had told her. "Someone certainly is going through a lot of trouble to hurt me," she finally said.


"Yes," JR said softly, "but I won't let them."


"JR…" Sue Ellen sucked in a deep breath, "you were wonderful with the boys today."


"It was fun," JR smiled. "I really need to try to make more time for them."


"They would both really love that. Especially Christopher. JR…" Sue Ellen hesitated. She didn't want to start a fight with him, but she needed to talk to him about Christopher's fragile emotional state. "You need to be more careful about what you say when Christopher is around. He's overheard some things.." her voice trailed off.


"What things?" JR prodded.


Sue Ellen raised her eyes to meet ha. "He feels like he isn't a real Ewing because he's adopted. He overheard you talking to Ray about Lucas…"


JR inhaled deeply. "Sue Ellen, you know I love that boy."


"Yes, of course!" Sue Ellen assured him. "It's just... well JR, since Pam left he's so confused and hurt. He thinks she didn't want him anymore. He's worried Bobby will do the same. He is asking questions about his birth parents and I…"


"You what, Sue Ellen?"


"I just think it's time to tell him the truth about his mother; that she was my sister and that he and I are blood."


"That's not our decision, Sue Ellen," JR said quietly.


"I know that, JR, but that little boy is lost and scared and he needs to know that I won't ever leave him."


"Like Pam did?"


"Yes, JR."


"I'll talk to Bobby."


Sue Ellen's entire face lit up. "Thank you, JR," she beamed.


"I can't promise you he'll agree with you though," he cautioned.


"I know, JR, but I really appreciate you being willing to try."


"You appreciate it?" He leaned down and placed a soft kiss on her forehead. "Care to show me how.much you appreciate it?" he teased her.


Sue Ellen took a deep, steadying breath. She wanted him. There wasn't any use in playing games about it, she had given in to him this morning and now she wanted more. She knew there would be consequences for letting him have his way, but she would deal with those when the time came. "What did you have in mind, Mr. Ewing?" she whispered seductively.


"You're in my mind, Miss Texas," JR growled, pulling her into his arms, "you're always on my mind."


***


The room was dark, dingy, and sparsely furnished. Not exactly fine accommodations, but it served its purpose. An old publicity photo from the Miss Texas pageant featuring Sue Ellen Ewing was taped to the wall just across from the bed where it could be stared at and contemplated during these quiet moments.


She wasn't at Southfork anymore. It would be harder to get to her now. Southfork was easy; it was so large and so many people were roaming around that it was easy to.blend in. The Krebbs place was different though; the land was flat and the views unobstructed. There were less hands and no servants. Any person who didn't belong there would be spotted immediately. It had been smart of the Ewings to move the whore there. JR Ewing was a worthy adversary. He always had been. As much as his efforts to protect his precious wife delayed the ultimate goal, it made the game much more interesting.


"The next move is mine, JR, and I am very close to taking your queen."


***
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
Intriguing. So who is she?

Katherine? Holly?

Or maybe Alicia Odgen?
Sue Ellen did sleep with her husband. But she doesn't seem like the type.
 

zephiey

Telly Talk Member
LV
0
 
Awards
1
I think it's Dusty. Or Clint Ogden, but I'm leaning toward Dusty.
 

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
I knew the minute things started to go wrong for Sue Ellen that that STINKFISH of a bastard Winger was somewhere around. I could smell her. Let me at her - I don’t believe she isn’t involved. Get me a knife.

I also suspect Peter Richards. He was obsessed with Sue Ellen.

Totally hooked on this and how you write my darlings is wonderful. Lucy’s exchanges are fabulous - disappointed Sue Ellen has slept with J.R. at this point but I mean how could either resist??

Can’t wait for more - in the meanwhile I will be in jail for murder. Stinking Winger Tramp!!
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended..



This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?



***



What If



Part 15



***


"This is so nice," Sue Ellen sighed contentedly, sipping on her iced tea from her seat on the patio. The family had just finished a large meal of hot dogs and hamburgers cooked on Ray's grill and the boys were playing flag football with their uncles.



"It was so sweet of you to invite us over," April smiled. "Cliff has really been missing Christopher. I can't believe JR agreed to it."



Sue Ellen's smile grew a little wider. "He wasn't thrilled with the idea," she admitted. "Luckily I can.be very convincing when I need to be."



"I bet you can,".April laughed. "I noticed the two of you seem to be getting along pretty well. Does that mean the divorce is off?"



Sue Ellen's smile faded. "I honestly don't know. There's so much going on right now. I suppose I just decided to get through it all and think about the future later."



"Sue Ellen, you're practically glowing right now. I know it's none of my business, but you seem so happy. So does JR, for that matter."



"Oh, April," Sue Ellen sighed, "I AM happy right now. JR is so attentive and loving - with both me and the boys. If I knew it would always be this way, I wouldn't even consider divorce. But the hard truth is that when this over and our lives go back to normal, things will change. JR will go back to his life and his work and the schemes and the women will be right there waiting for him "



"People can change, Sue Ellen," April told her.



"Not JR," Sue Ellen shook her head. "He's tried, genuinely tried. The loving husband and father always disappears and the ruthless womanizer always returns."



"Maybe this time is different, Sue Ellen."



"I have made that wish so many times," Sue Ellen wiped a stubborn tear from her cheek, "but wishing doesn't make it so. It never does."



***



Lucy replaced the phone on its cradle and grimaced.



"Who was that?"



Lucy turned to face her grandmother. "A reporter from the Dallas Morning Star looking for Bobby. He said it was really important that Bobby call him immediately."



"He's over at Ray's with Christopher," Ellie said. "He'll be back later. I'm sure it has something to do with Ewing Oil."



"Probably," Lucy agreed. "He sounded like it was urgent that he talked to Bobby right away though."



"Reporters always make things sound urgent," Ellie laughed. "The message can wait until Bobby gets home."



"Okay, Grandma," Lucy replied, turning to walk up the stairs. She frowned and tried to shake off the feeling that something very bad was about to happen.



***



"They're great aren't they?"



JR turned to see Cliff emerging from the sliding glass door onto the patio with two beers in his hands. Cliff was nodding at Christopher and John Ross who were playing a very competitive game of horseshoes with Ray and Bobby.



"They're very fine boys," JR agreed, reaching out to accept the beet Cliff was offering him. He said nothing when Cliff sat down in a chair across from him at the patio table.



"Sue Ellen and April ran me out of the kitchen," Cliff said after a few minutes of awkward silence.



"You and April have a thing going?" JR asked.



"Oh, no," Cliff laughed. "We're just good friends. She's been like a rock for me since Pam…"



"Too bad, Barnes," JR grunted. "You could do a lot worse."



"Yeah. Listen, JR, I appreciate you agreeing to let me come out here and spend some time with Christopher."



JR turned his head and stared blankly at the landscape in front of him. "Hell, Barnes, you and I are never going to be friendly. Seems stupid though to make Christopher suffer because we don't get along. Those two boys are the future. Maybe the Barnes/Ewing feud will finally die because of them."



"As far as I'm concerned, it's dead now, JR," Cliff sighed. "Mom's gone. Pam's gone. Christopher is the only family I have left. He's a Ewing whether I like it or not and he's more important to me than getting even with you."



JR made no reply. He sat and drank his beer in silence. It seemed so unnatural to be sitting here, drinking a beer with Cliff Barnes of all people. So much had changed in his life in such a short amount of time. He had done so much damage in his quest for power and now that he finally had gotten everything he ever wanted - everything he believed he deserved - he had come to the sad realization that it all meant nothing without his wife and his family.



He knew Sue Ellen was wavering in her resolve to divorce him, but he also knew that once the immediate threat to her safety had passed and she didn't need his protection anymore that would change. She was willing to accept his attention now, but once things in their lives returned to normal…



JR shook away the thought. Whatever was wrong with his marriage, he was at fault. He needed to use whatever time he had with Sue Ellen to try to make amends. He would do whatever it took, even taking advantage of her current vulnerable state. Preying on her fear was a low and rotten thing to do, but all is fair in love and war.



"JR! Are you even listening to me?"



JR tuned his head and.looked Cliff squarely in the eyes. "Barnes, the day I'm interested in listening to anything you have to say is the day they put me six feet under."



Cliff stared slack-jawed as the other man abruptly stood up and stalked into the house. "Well," Cliff said to the empty chair across from him, "it was nice talking to you too, JR!"



***



"Did you find everything okay?"



The cashier was obnoxiously perky. A terse, silent nod was the only answer she got.



"Cash or charge?"



"Cash," came the one word response.



The transaction was completed without further conversation. This was the last stop. All the necessary supplies had been purchased with cash at multiple stores so as not to raise suspicion.



The cashier placed the rope into a plastic bag and handed it over. "Have a nice evening!"



"Oh, it may not be nice," the customer replied, gathering up the bag and heading toward the door, "but it certainly will be productive."



***



"I don't know, JR," Bobby shook his head, "it might actually do more harm than good. Christopher is already having a hard time dealing with the loss of his mother. Now you want me to tell him about Kristen? How am I supposed to explain why I have kept it from him for all these years?"



"That's all up to you, Bobby, " JR told him. "Sue Ellen feels strongly that Christopher needs to know she's his blood aunt, but we both realize you're the only one who can make the decision about when or if to tell him."



Bobby sighed and ran his hand through his hair. "I'll think about it, JR, but that's all I can promise."



"Good enough," JR nodded. "I'll let Sue Ellen know."



"JR...I don't want to overstep my boundaries, but can I ask how things are between you and Sue Ellen?"



"Why?" JR asked, surprised that Bobby would bring up his marriage.



"If you and Sue Ellen divorce and she leaves Southfork with John Ross, it will be a huge blow to Christopher."



"I'm working on her, Bob, but right now I honestly have no idea what she'll end up doing."



Bobby nodded and looked away. "I'd better say goodbye to Christopher and get back to Southfork. Goodnight, JR."



"Night, Bob," JR told him. He hoped that very soon he would be heading back to Southfork as well - and he intended to bring his family with him.



***



Sue Ellen looked up at the sound of her bedroom door opening. "Hi, JR," she smiled at him. "Wasn't it a lovely evening?"



"It was tolerable," he grunted. "Not sure I'd ever say having to put up with Barnes as lovely."



"Oh, it wasn't that bad," she laughed, moving across the room to kiss him on the cheek. "Thank you for behaving."



"Do I get a reward for being a good boy?" he teased her.



"JR, there are many phrases I could use to describe you but 'good boy' will never be one of them!"



JR laughed and sat down on the edge of the bed. "I talked to Bobby about Christopher."



"And?" Sue Ellen questioned



"And he has to think about it."



"That's understandable. Thank you, JR."



"You're welcome, Miss Texas." He reached out and took her hand, using it to pull her closer to him. There was so much he wanted to say to her, so many things he wanted to apologize for. "Sue Ellen," he sighed, "we need to talk about us."



"Please don't, JR," Sue Ellen said, her voice shaking, "I just want to enjoy being with you now; I'm not ready to face the future yet."



"We can't put it off forever, honey. I need you to understand…"



JR was interrupted by a loud banging on the bedroom door.



"What the hell, Ray?" JR growled when the door flew open to reveal his brother.



"McSween's on the phone, JR," Ray informed him. "They have Katherine Wentworth in custody."



***
 
Last edited:

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended..


This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?


***


What If


Part 16


***


"I don't believe it," Cliff said, his voice full of conviction. "I don't believe it for one second."


"Miss Wentworth's statement was pretty thorough, Mr. Barnes," McSween sighed. "We've been able to verify a lot of what she's told the officers who have her in custody."


"Pam would NEVER reach out to her!" Cliff railed, slamming his hand down on Ray's kitchen table. "If Pam needed help, she'd come to me!"


"Would she, Cliff?" Bobby said quietly. "The Pam we thought we knew would never take off and leave her son, but she did. Katherine's story makes sense, whether we like it or not."


"Harry, we're sure Katherine never crossed the Canadian border?" JR asked.


"Very sure. She's been in Vancouver all this time. Mostly been shifting money around from bank to bank, laundering it so she could send it to Pam without suspicion."


"I don't believe it," Cliff repeated.


"Do you want to fly up with me when I go to question her?" McSween asked


"Yeah, yeah I do," Cliff answered


"Alright. I'll let you know when all the arrangements are made."


"Well, one thing's for sure," Ray interjected, "Katherine isn't the one causing all the trouble around here. We're back to square one on that."


"More than likely," McSween agreed. "But can't rule her out completely until I talk to her and verify everything myself."


"Harry you get up there and get your business with Katherine done and get back quick," JR ordered him. "I don't like you being out of the county as long as some maniac is running around on the loose terrorizing my family."


"Understood, JR," McSween nodded. "In the meantime, it would be best if Mrs. Ewing and the children stayed here. There hasn't been any incident since you left Southfork."


"Don't you worry," JR told him. "Sue Ellen and the kids aren't stepping one foot off this property until this is over."


***


Sue Ellen rolled over, gingerly slipped out from under JR's arm, and climbed out of the bed. She reached for her robe as she gazed at her sleeping husband's face. "Oh, JR," she whispered, leaning down to place a soft kiss on his cheek, "why can't you always love me as much as you do right now?"


She tied her robe tightly around her waist and quietly slipped out of the bedroom. It had been such a chaotic night; first the news came that Katherine had been captured, then Detective McSween had come to inform them that she couldn't possibly be responsible for the threats against Sue Ellen and the boys.


Sue Ellen padded into the kitchen and flipped on the overhead light


"Oh,!" she jumped with surprise, "I'm sorry. I didn't realize anyone was in here."


"It's okay, Sue Ellen," Bobby said quietly. "I didn't want to leave Christopher tonight and I couldn't sleep."


Sue Ellen moved to the stove and started a pot of tea. "I won't ask why you're sitting down here all alone in the dark," she said quietly. "I know tonight's news was very difficult for you to hear."


Bobby watched her pour her tea into a mug and move to sit beside him at the kitchen table. "You know, Sue Ellen, I never thought I'd say this, but I don't care. Pam's been gone a long time now. She made the decision to leave me and Christopher. It was hard to deal with and it broke my heart. But honestly, right now I don't feel anything. I don't care where she is or what she's doing. I just want her to stay out of my life and away from my son."


"I'll never understand," Sue Ellen sighed. "Pam was such a wonderful mother and she loved you so much…"


"That Pam is dead," Bobby said flatly, "that Pam died in the accident."


Bobby leaned back in his chair and studied Sue Ellen's face. "I envy you and JR."


"What?" Sue Ellen almost choked on a sip of tea, "why?"


Bobby laughed and shook his head. "Your love is messy and painful sometimes, but it's always there. You're not leaving him, Sue Ellen. You won't break up the boys, and more importantly you can't live without JR. And JR can't live without you."


Sue Ellen said nothing. She sat silent for a long while, drinking her tea and considering what he'd said.


"JR said you want to tell Christopher about Kristen," Bobby finally broke the silence.


Sue Ellen brought her eyes up to meet his, "I just… I just think him knowing that he is truly my nephew would bring him some comfort."


Bobby nodded and dropped his gaze. "I want to thank you, Sue Ellen. You've been more than an Aunt to him since Pam left. For all intents and purposes, you've been his mother. We'll tell him together."


"Thank you, Bobby."


Bobby stood up and kissed her on the cheek. "My brother," he whispered in her ear, "is one hell of a lucky man."


***


The van was almost ready. The supplies had all been double checked and loaded. It was almost time.


The room had been cleaned and every surface had been wiped down with bleach to remove any DNA or finger priints. The cops were running around totally confused, looking in all the wrong places and at all the wrong people. The plan was so brilliant, it was almost a shame that no one would ever know who the true mastermind was.


Soon, Sue Ellen Ewing would be destroyed. Then it would be over.


***

"Just do what I asked you to," JR barked into the phone, "don't make me have to tell you again."


There was a knock on the study door and it opened to reveal Bobby. JR waved him into the room distractedly.


"I already told you I was sure, Harv," JR said, "just do exactly as I said and let me know when it's done."


JR slammed the phone down and turned his attention to his brother. "What's up, Bob?"


"Cliff and McSween just landed in Vancouver. They're meeting with Katherine in about an hour."


"Good, good," JR nodded. "The faster they talk to her the faster Harry can get his ass back here."


"I have to go into Dallas today," Bobby sighed. "A reporter had been pestering me for days. He won't tell me what it's about. Says it has to be done in person. JR…"


"What?" JR snapped.


"You haven't done anything I need to know about before I meet with the reporter, have you?"


JR grimaced. "What I'm doing has nothing to do with you or Ewing Oil, so I doubt it. But I guess it's possible that someone got wind about the threats against Sue Ellen. If this interview had anything to do with my wife, you keep your mouth shut."


"Don't worry, JR," Bobby said. "I know better than that."


"I have a lot of work to do," JR dismissed his brother. "Close the door on your way out."


***


"Sue Ellen," Ray said, poking his head into the kitchen, "there's a call for you. It's your lawyer "


"Thank you, Ray," Sue Ellen stepped away from the sink and picked up the phone hanging on the kitchen wall. "Hello, Mr. Marlowe, how are you?"


Ray moved past her and poured himself a cup of coffee. He had some paperwork he needed to do, but JR was holed up in his study with the door shut.


"That can't be!" Sue Ellen breathed out. All the color drained from her face and her voice was shaking. "Are you certain?"


Ray's eyebrows shot up with interest as he listened to her side of the conversation.


"I can't believe he would do that! No, no. Of course it's good news. Yes. I'll be there as soon as I can. Thank you Mr. Marlowe."


Sue Ellen hung up the phone and took a deep breath.


"Everything okay?" Ray asked her.


"Oh, everything is just wonderful!" Sue Ellen said with obviously false brightness. "I need you to drive me into Dallas. JR has agreed to all of my terms. My divorce papers are ready to be filed. My lawyer just needs my signature."


"Sue Ellen, you know you can't leave this ranch."


"I'm going, Ray," Sue Ellen said with determination. "You can either take me and protect me or I'm going alone. Obviously, JR has decided to end our farce of a marriage as soon as is humanly possible and I couldn't agree with that sentiment more! I'm going to get my purse, then we can go."


Ray's mouth dropped open in shock as he watched her stalk from the room. "Oh hell, JR," he muttered to himself, "what in God's name did you do?"


**"

"You look like you're about to cry, big brother," Kathrine giggled. "I don't know why you should be so upset. I'm the one going to jail."


"You're a vile excuse for a human being," Cliff told her. "I can't believe Pam would reach out to you for help."


"Believe it, Cliff," Katherine snapped. "You have been a failure and a disappointment every day of your life. Of course Pam would come to me and not you. She wanted it done right.."


"Where is she?" Cliff demanded.


"Oh, I'll never tell," Katherine flashed him an evil smile. "She has enough money to hide forever, Cliff. And I'll take her secrets to the grave - just to spite you and Bobby."


"We're done here," McSween interrupted. "Come on, Mr. Barnes."


Cliff shook his head and followed McSween out of the interrogation room.


"Should I call the Ewings and let them know?"


"No," Cliff sighed. "Let's just get out of this God forsaken place. We'll tell them when we get home."


"Alright, I'll have them get the plane ready. Do you want me to put some men on tracking down Mrs Ewing?"


"What?" Cliff asked, momentarily confused. "Oh, no," he answered once he realized McSween meant Pam. "It's obvious my sister doesn't want me or her son in her life. I'm happy to respect her wishes. I'm over it. Christopher and I are both better off with her out of our lives."


***


Sue Ellen sat on the edge of the bed with her head buried in her hands. How could he? How could he blindside her like this? She gave into the pain and heartbreak and tears began flowing from her eyes. Her body shook with the force of deep sobs.


He had actually convinced her that he wanted to make their marriage work. How could she have been so stupid? How had she let him hurt her like this again?


Ray stood in the hallway outside her bedroom door and listened to her cry. "JR, you horse's ass," he muttered.


He walked quickly down the hallway and knocked on the boys' door. "You two get ready," he barked, "we're going out to the barn. Meet me in the kitchen in five minutes!"


He turned and moved quickly back down the stairs. He didn't even bother to knock before flinging the study door open and bursting into the room.


"Your wife is upstairs crying her eyes out," he growled menacingly at a shocked JR. "She's insisting I drive her into town to sign the divorce papers you just served her lawyer. I'm taking the boys out to the barn to give you two some privacy. Fix this, JR. Right now."


He turned and stalked from the room without another word, leaving a stunned JR to stare after him in astonishment.


***


"Where did you get these?" Bobby demanded, "these records were sealed."


"They showed up on my desk one day. Delivered by messenger," the reporter answered. "I've tried to contact you repeatedly about it."


"But this…" Bobby paused to gather his thoughts. "This isn't newsworthy. It's personal. Surely your paper won't print this!"


"It's newsworthy because it's the Ewings," the reporter shrugged. "Honestly, I'm surprised you managed to keep this quiet as long as you have."


Bobby took a deep breath. "We're talking about a little boy. If you write this story, no one will be hurt except a child!"


"Maybe you should have thought about that while you were buying him. I have proof that you bought your son and that his birth mother is none other than your very own sister-in-law. Oh, you bet I'm going to write the story. I'm only talking to you as a courtesy and to ask if you wanted to respond with a quote."


"I'll sue this paper out of existence," Bobby threatened.


"Oh, you can try. But I have solid evidence to back up everything in the story. Plus, a lawsuit will bring a lot of publicity. Probably really help drive up our circulation.'


"We'll see about that," Bobby growled.


"You can keep those," the reporter said, nodding at the documents in Bobby's hands. "Those are just copies."


Bobby stood up slowly. He narrowed his eyes to dark slits, "You're done," he warned in a dangerously low voice. "I'll destroy you and this paper if you print one word about my son."


The reporter watched as Bobby threw a few dollars on the table to cover the cost of his coffee and stood up to walk angrily out of the cafe. "We'll just have to see about that, won't we, Mr. Ewing?"


***



JR stood outside the bedroom and pressed his ear to the door. He could hear the muffled sounds of her sobbing. He closed his eyes and silently cursed himself. He'd intended to talk to her about the divorce papers. He never thought Harv would get them over to her lawyer so damn fast.


He took a deep breath, turned the door knob, and slowly opened the door. "Sue Ellen…"


JR had no time to react before a lamp whizzed by his head and smashed I to the wall behind him.


"YOU BASTARD!"


JR's body tensed as she came towards him, her eyes blazing with pure fury.


"If you wanted the divorce, why didn't you just say so!" She flung herself against him and pounded on his chest with all of her strength. "Why play such awful games with me, JR? Why make me love you all over again? Why do you love hurting me so much?"


JR let her beat against his chest until she wore herself out. With one last ragged sob she drew back and smacked him hard across the face. He winced in pain but didn't move, waiting to see if she was finished.


Sue Ellen stood back and glared at him through her tears. "Why, JR?" she asked brokenly, "why did you do this to me?"


***


"I'm sorry, Mr. Farlow," the private detective told him. "Your son's last known location was Oklahoma. Six months ago, he was there working as a hand on a cattle ranch. Then one day, he just up and disappeared without a trace."


"Thank you," Clayton sighed. "Keep working on it. People don't just vanish into thin air."


"I'll do my best," the detective promised. "Thanks for the coffee."


Clayton watched him walk away and get into his car.


"Who was that," Ellie asked coming out to the patio from the kitchen.


"No one important," Clayton lied. "Just some business."


"You still planning to have those new horse's delivered to Ray today?"


"Yes," Clayton answered, glancing at his watch. "They should be arriving anytime now."


"I wonder how things are going with the questioning of Katherine Wentworth," Ellie sighed. "I'll be so glad when all this is over and the boys can come home."


"Yes," Clayton said thoughtfully, "nothing is better than having the whole family together is there?"


"Clayton, you sound strange. Are you sure everything is alright?"


"Of course, Ellie," he forced himself to smile at her. "Everything is just fine."


***


JR waited until he was sure the violent storm had passed then moved carefully towards his wife. "Sit down, Sue Ellen," he said softly. "Please?"


"No," she snapped. "I don't want to talk to you. You'll just spew out more lies. I'm going into town and signing our divorce papers!"


"I won't lie to you, honey," his voice was low and gentle. "I tried to tell you about all of this last night, but we got interrupted with the Katherine drama before I had a chance."


"You're despicable," her voice was strangled as tears started flowing freely again. "You made love to me last night! How could you?"


"Sue Ellen, I can explain all this. Please sit down and let's talk this through."


"There's nothing left for us to talk about!" JR tensed when she raised her hand to slap him again. He stopped the hand in mid air and forced it down to her side. "You want to know why I made love to you last night, Miss Texas?" he asked lowly. "I made love to you because I love you. I need you. I plan to make love to you every single night for the rest of our lives."


"How are you going to do that, JR?" Sue Ellen hissed. "We'll be divorced!"


JR brought his free hand up to her face and wiped away her tears. "Sue Ellen, I didn't sign those papers because I want a divorce. I signed them because I wanted you to know I don't give a damn about that Weststar stock. I thought I'd have a chance to explain this all to you before your lawyer ever got the papers."


Sue Ellen took a deep breath and shook her head. "JR that makes no sense. Of course you care about that stock. You're probably just trying to make me think you love me so I'll stay with you and let you vote my shares!"


"I'm sorry you think that, honey, but I know it's my fault that you do." He bent his head and brushed a soft kiss on her forehead. "And I knew that's what you'd think. Harv Smithfield is on his way over to explain the whole thing to you."


"Harv?" Sue Ellen's eyes widened with surprise. "Why can't you explain it to me?"


"Because you'd never believe me, honey," JR answered. "And that's my fault too. But that's over, Sue Ellen. The lying, the scheming, the other women - that's all done. I want you to stay with me more than anything, but no matter what you decide, I am done hurting you."


"JR….I don't understand any of this."


"Harv will explain it all," JR told her, letting her go and moving away from her. "Please just wait to talk to him before you do anything else. I'm not a man who begs Sue Ellen, but I am begging you."


He turned and walked out of the bedroom without another word, leaving a stunned Sue Ellen to her own thoughts.


"JR," she whispered to herself, "oh how I hope that for once in our lives you are telling me the truth."


***

"Hey, Ray," Bobby greeted his brother. "That's some fine looking horse flesh."


"Yeah, Clayton has a good eye," Ray agreed. "Tell you something else, those boys," he nodded at Christopher and John Ross, "are both going to be fine horse men."


"Runs in the family," Bobby sighed. "Things didn't go well with the reporter. He has a copy of Christopher's original birth certificate and the custody case file from when Lisa tried to take him from me. He knows I paid Faraday to get Christopher and he knows Sue Ellen's sister is the natural mother."


"Damn Bobby," Ray sucked in a deep breath. "He's not planning to print that, is he?"


"He is," Bobby said grimly. "Harv Smithfield and I are going to pay a visit to his publisher tomorrow."


"Damn. Hope you guys can stop them.


"Me too," Bobby agreed. "Harv is one of the best lawyers in Texas. Maybe he can find a way."


"Speaking of Harv Smithfield, he's up at the house right now."


"Why?"


"JR did something stupid," Ray shrugged. "Guess he's up there trying to pull our brother's sorry ass out of the fire."


"Ray," Bobby abruptly changed the subject, "have you told Clayton that you and Jenna might be moving to Switzerland?"


"Yeah. I told him. He doesn't seem to think I'll actually do it though."


"Will you actually do it?" Bobby asked.


"It's what Jenna wants," Ray sighed. "I don't have any desire to live in Europe, but I love that woman enough to try. I have a buyer for the ranch. Clayton should be able to keep his horse's here."


"Ray, you can't really believe Sue Ellen is actually going to divorce JR and buy this place," Bobby said incredulously.


"She might," Ray laughed. "She's pretty mad right now. I gave Sue Ellen the right of first refusal. My other buyer knows that. If she passes, he'll be ready to make the move."


"So you're really leaving? Damn, I'll miss you, Ray."


"I'll miss you too, Bob," Ray replied. "But I have to do what's best for me and mine."


"Understood," Bobby said. "How do you think things are going up there?" Bobby asked, gesturing towards the house.


"Well, I haven't heard any gun shots," Ray laughed, "So I guess Sue Ellen hasn't killed our brother. Yet, at least."


***


Sue Ellen was stunned. She sat behind Ray's desk in the study, staring at the papers in front of her in disbelief. "I.. I just can't wrap my brain around this."


"I want you to know I did my dead level best to talk JR out of this," Harv told her. "I would be a piss poor lawyer if I didn't."


"But… this leaves him with nothing."


"Oh, he'll be financially taken care of. His Weststar stock will fetch a prime price, and he's keeping ten percent of Ewing Oil for himself."


"Yes, but…" Sue Ellen couldn't help it. She lost complete control of her emotions and broke down crying.


"It also leaves him with his family, Sue Ellen." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a handkerchief and handed it to her across the desk. "That's all he seems to be interested in."


Sue Ellen used the handkerchief to dab at her eyes. "Harv, can you hold off on executing this for a day or two?"


"Possibly," Harv said. "May I withdraw our consent to the divorce?"


Sue Ellen stood up and nodded her head. "Yes, please do. I'll call Mr. Marlowe and tell him to drop everything on our end as well."


Harv smiled a wide, genuine smile. "We'll, well. I guess JR knew what he was doing after all."


***


"You need to tell your daddy!" John Ross whispered. He looked over at his uncles to make sure they weren't listening to them.


"No!" Christopher hissed. "He won't believe me. He never does!"


"Then tell my daddy! He'll believe you!"


"I don't want them to know, John Ross," Christopher was close to crying. "What if it really is from my mommy?"


John Ross glanced over at Ray and Bobby one more time to make sure they were still distracted. "Let me see it, Christopher."


"Be careful," Christopher said, handing the note over to his cousin.


John Ross read it quickly then folded it up and handed it back over. "Why would Aunt Pam send a note to you with a cowboy delivering a horse to Uncle Ray?"


"I don't know, John Ross, but it might really be from my mommy!'


"We have to tell!"


"No! She said not to tell or Daddy won't let her visit! Please John Ross, you have to promise!"


"Alright, I won't tell for now," John Ross gave in, "but when you sneak out tonight I'm coming with you."


"Okay, John Ross!" Christopher beamed. "Mommy will be glad to see you too!"


***
 

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
I went through a period of serious withdrawal earlier while the forum was down.

Thank God for this update!! Truly marvellous and I’m so happy my Lobsters are staying together.

Love how you seem to be in my brain when it comes to Pam - it was her choice to leave. Everything always had to be on her terms.

She’d better not be behind Sue Ellen’s pain - or I will rearrange her face back to what it was!!!
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
I don't believe it was really Pam who sent the note to Chris. Someone is using her to get to the boys to get to Sue Ellen...

Also Bobby is too cold whereas Pam is concerned. It has only been a year so he can't be over her already. :(

But good that JR/SE is staying together. :)
 
Top