What was the last film you watched?

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
It is annoying though because things happen in other films of which you are not aware but they are referred to.

Yes. This has been the case with the first two Holland Spider-Man films. The first had some cleanup operation going on after a battle from a different film and the second heavily referenced the end of Avengers: Endgame.



One day I plan to watch them all in order and to make it more confusing, the correct order isn't the order in which the films were released.
for me though on how i watch them i just saw f.. it and watch them in order as they were put out.

I was chatting about the chronological vs. release order with @The Little Ome That Santa Forgot recently. Not having watched most of the films (I think I've seen four in total) I plan to do my first watch in release order. After all, that's the journey most viewers had with the series. But if I get into the films enough, I'd be up for a chronological watch for the second time round. No doubt by that time there'll be films that might end up slotting somewhere in the middle chronologically anyway.
 

Ome

Admin Emeritus
LV
14
 
Awards
32
I was chatting about the chronological vs. release order with @The Little Ome That Santa Forgot recently.
I watched them in chronological order, which worked out great for someone who hadn't watched any of the films.


The sad part is doing it over a short period because I can't single out the movies; most of them merge into one. The problem I had was too many characters to take it all in. I would benefit better if I watched them over a more extended period, giving each film its own space. My favourite character throughout is Thor, and my favourite film is Black Panther.



Not having watched most of the films (I think I've seen four in total) I plan to do my first watch in release order. After all, that's the journey most viewers had with the series. But if I get into the films enough, I'd be up for a chronological watch for the second time round. No doubt by that time there'll be films that might end up slotting somewhere in the middle chronologically anyway.

I think that's a better option and probably leave some space between each movie.
 

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
6
BELFAST (2021) - Wonderful despite what happens on the streets. The child's view is interesting to me because in that time (late 60s but Branagh is four years older than me) Belfast/ Northern Ireland was a regular topic in our news and I didn't understood what happened there either. Also I remember my first movie experiences so I really could relate to that. And Jamie Dornan gets better and better as an actor. This film should get some Academy Awards next year!

AND THEN THERE WERE NONE (1945) - First film adaption of Agatha Christie's TEN LITTE INDIANS play (which has a different ending than her novel) and an excellent one by director René Clair. Clair's (mostly) studio production draws you into the film without any dialogue within the first five minutes. Most recognizable actor was Dame Judith Anderson for me (Mrs. Danvers in REBECCA of course) in the role Miranda Richardson played in the 2015 TV version.
 
Last edited:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
The sad part is doing it over a short period because I can't single out the movies; most of them merge into one. The problem I had was too many characters to take it all in.

Yes, with all the crossovers and continuing threads I can understand they might blend together. I have the benefit of being familiar with most of the characters from other media, but I'm still expecting separating them to be a bit of a struggle once I've finished.



My favourite character throughout is Thor, and my favourite film is Black Panther.

Interesting. They're two characters I never really felt much connection with in the comics so I'm curious how I'll feel about them in film. I've read so many good things about the Black Panther film that's one I have high hopes for.





I think that's a better option and probably leave some space between each movie.

When I get round to watching, I'm thinking one or two per week. Some of the films are so long I don't think I'd want to do any more.

But that's easy to say ahead of time. It might be different when I finish one film and the next one is lined up and ready to go.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Interesting. They're two characters I never really felt much connection with in the comics so I'm curious how I'll feel about them in film. I've read so many good things about the Black Panther film that's one I have high hopes for.
I too really liked Black Panther and I would also recommend the film with the other Marvel character with black in it's name: Black Widow, played by Scarlet Johanson, was also a very good film.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Miracle On 34th Street (1994)

MV5BZjk3M2UyN2YtNmQ1MS00MWI3LWEzNGMtYTRkM2E5MWNjOWJjL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg


I'm now in Christmas film mode. I usually watch the original 1947 version of this film because it's one of my favourites and as a result I've only previously seen this 1994 version once before when it was first released almost 20 years ago. This version doesn't have quite as much charm and innocence as the original but Richard Attenborough gives such an enthusiastic and engaging performance as Kris Kringle you can forgive that.

I liked how they didn't completely follow the story of the original film and modernised it in places, dropped a few characters, introduced a few new ones and changed the final piece of evidence in court that cleared Kris Kringle. Sometimes when you can't be a good as the original, it's best to do something different and be good at that instead and on that level this film is a triumph.
 

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
7
last night i watched The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (2015) a pretty damn god film if i do say so myself i'm really shocked that no sequel came from it cause it was clearly left open for one. 10/10

now i'm watching Saw (2004) the Unrated version 4K i'd say 8/10 cause part 2 (2005) is my favorite one
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
It's the original all the way for me. :)
I watched this today too.

Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

220px-Miracle_on_34th_Street_%281947_film_poster%29.jpg


I've lost count of how many times I've watched this film but I'm sure it's over 10 and I never get bored with it. It's such a lovely tale of innocent and joy that is perfect for Christmas. Having watched the remake a few days ago, it's interesting to compare them and the 1947 version is much superior. The resolution of the film might be a bit too simplistic for a more cynical modern audience but you have to suspend a level of belief to truly enjoy a film like this.
 

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
5
 
Awards
17
A Christmas Carol (1951 & 1984)

I watched them both this morning as it’s really not Christmas to me without watching at least one version of this classic tale. These are probably my two favorite Christmas movies, with the Alistair Sim version winning out in the end. I don’t think anyone played the role of Ebenezer Scrooge better, although George C. Scott was a great Scrooge in his own right.
 

Sea - Boo! - Er

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
21
The resolution of the film might be a bit too simplistic for a more cynical modern audience but you have to suspend a level of belief to truly enjoy a film like this.
Yes, it's pure fantasy. I dislike the way the remakes are rewritten so that the denouement is someone's deliberate ploy. They're trying to inject an element of realism where none need exist. After all, "faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to."
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Cinderella (2015)

iu

(I didn't watch in IMAX, but I do love this poster)

Of all the live-action karaoke remakes Disney have done in recent years I suspect Cinderella is the one I'll most enjoy because, while the original has some terrific scenes and moments, it also has a lot of filler with the helium-voiced mice and the silly antics of Jaq and Gus*. Thankfully, the mice in the live action version are far more tolerable.

It's a little surprising to find that practically the entire cast of this Disney film is non-American. Most of the cast are British, bolstered by a number of other Europeans and - of course - at least one Australian. But with dialogue coming from an American screenwriter and most of the under 40s in the cast speaking with contemporary RP rather than traditional, it still feels very American in tone and speech patterns.

From what I'd previously known of the show, I understood that Helena Bonham Carter stole the show. Fun as she was, I was most impressed by Cate Blanchett as Lady Tremaine. She certainly looked the part and gave great villainess, with a dash of the Sable Colby to her at times.









*The animated Aladdin suffers similarly with the OTT antics of Robin Williams rendering an otherwise top tier film almost unwatchable for me, but I'm not convinced Will Smith will be that much of an improvement.​
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Boxing Day (2021)

10299_7456.jpg


I'm not a massive fan of romantic comedies but this seemed like an appropriate film to watch yesterday. A film about a writer who proposes to his girlfriend and later bumps into his ex who is still in love with him. It's the usual romcom stuff but this seems more original because unusually, the cast is predominantly black. It's nice hearing black slang and references to things in black Caribbean culture but it's a film with universal appeal to all races. It's a light piece of entertainment that doesn't tax the viewer too much which I suppose is what many would like from a film on Boxing Day. It's not Shakespeare but it's not terrible either.
 
Top