What was the last film you watched?

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
20
Hidden Figures (2016)
True story of a group of Black women mathematicians known as "computers" who braved the double barriers of racism and sexism to make their mark on NASA's Mercury program.
Taraji P. Henson is very good in the lead role, quite different from her Empire character, while Jim Parsons, as an engineer who never quite eats his words even as she overcomes all his objections, comes across as a less quirky Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory.
 

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
5
 
Awards
17
Hidden Figures (2016)
True story of a group of Black women mathematicians known as "computers" who braved the double barriers of racism and sexism to make their mark on NASA's Mercury program.
Taraji P. Henson is very good in the lead role, quite different from her Empire character, while Jim Parsons, as an engineer who never quite eats his words even as she overcomes all his objections, comes across as a less quirky Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory.
One of my favorite performances of Kevin Cosner. I thought he was terrific in this. I don’t want to give anything away for anyone who hasn’t seen this yet but the separate bathrooms scene and what his character did to rectify that was quite moving.
 

Angela Channing

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
52
Spencer 2021

MV5BMTdkZDc4YmQtYzA3My00NzliLThjN2YtMDIwMDkxY2Y4ODdmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA2MDU0NjM5._V1_-scaled-1.jpg


This film has had a lot of positive reviews but I found it tedious, dull and pointless. The film is a fictional account of 3 days in the life of Diana, Princess of Wales when she spends Christmas at Balmoral with the Royal Family. The family are formal and stiff while she is rebellious and carefree. There no real story to drive the film just a succession of scenes showing Diana's growing unease with the Royals. The film isn't particular sympathetic to her and portrays her as being slightly unhinged. I thought the Netflix series The Crown told a similar story far better and more entertainingly. On the positive side, Kristen Stewart gave a really convincing and at times moving portrayal of Diana but even she couldn't save this film.
 

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
On the positive side, Kristen Stewart gave a really convincing and at times moving portrayal of Diana
She certainly is an interesting choice!
There no real story to drive the film just a succession of scenes showing Diana's growing unease with the Royals
But didn't they already do that in the Catherine Oxenberg version? (including a Dynasty-esque staircase moment!)
 

Angela Channing

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
52
It's really beautiful.​
I first saw this film when it was released in cinemas and by then it had won a host of awards, including Golden Globes and Oscars, so I had really high expectations for it. When I watched it I felt a little let down because although I liked it, I felt it didn't live up to the hype. About 2 years later I watched it again, this time on TV when the BBC secured the broadcast rights, and I couldn't understand why I didn't considered this to be a bit of a masterpiece. It's a truly outstanding film that deserved every accolade it received.

Some films blow you away the first time you watch it and other films can take more than one viewing for you to fully appreciate how good they are.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Some films blow you away the first time you watch it and other films can take more than one viewing for you to fully appreciate how good they are.

I know what you mean. And Driving Miss Daisy is a very gentle film that does its thing in a low key, unshowy kind of way so it's a natural to be a grower.

I was pleasantly surprised to see David Brown and Richard Zanuck's names as Executive Producer and Producer respectively. Some of their films seem to have a lovely naturalism and feel very authentic (not least Jaws) and this certainly ticked that box.
 

Angela Channing

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
52
Cry Macho (2021)

MV5BOGQ5OTBkNzAtYWQxYy00YjIxLWJkNTAtNTM2NDMxYzdkZDVmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEyMjM2NDc2._V1_.jpg


I only watched this out of curiosity to see how Clint Eastwood was fairing as both director and lead actor in a major Hollywood film. For 90, he is impressive and the film isn't bad, it just isn't great. The story of a veteran rodeo star who owes a friend a favour which leads him to go to the Mexican border to get the friend's son from the child's alcoholic mother and to deliver him to the friend. A lot of the film is about the bonding of the old man and the boy and the adventures they get involved in while returning home. Clint looks and moves like the old man he is and the subplot of a considerably younger woman falling for him almost instantly does feel very far fetched. However, the film is well directed but I think it would have been better had Clint stayed behind the camera and left the acting to someone else, preferably someone who was about half his age.
 

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
20
The Last Starfighter (1984)
An arcade video game turns out to be a recruiting device for a real space war because why not?
Entertaining if predictable Star Wars wannabe.
 

Angela Channing

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
52
King Richard (2021)

King_Richard-212327278-mmed.jpg


This was a fascinating film about how Richard Williams encouraged, coached and hustled his daughters to be best tennis players in the world. Although most people this Richard was solely responsible for their success, the films shows the key role that his wife Oracene played in their development, including coaching Serena when a tennis coach could only work with one of the daughters for free.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Edge Of The Axe (1989)

iu


Utter dreck, with daytime soap opera pacing, Simply Cremation advert acting quality and lots of noisy Eighties synth music that drowns out the dialogue.

In its favour, I have to say that I was very surprised by the reveal of the killer's identity.

 

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Star
LV
0
 
Awards
8
Hello,
I interpreted this as a new theatrical release?

If so, it was the new James Bond movie.
Lots of action, special effects,
Daniel Craig is excellent as usual
Ana De Armas steals the show! She should have had a bigger role.
The script seemed uneven. Not as much fun as past Bond films.
Didn't care for the ending
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Black Or White (2015)

iu

iu


I opted for this one based purely on a poster image and the impression I got was that it was going to be a quirky, lighthearted romcom sort of thing. The fact that it opened in a hospital corridor in the immediate aftermath of a death let me know it wasn't going to be quite the silly ride I'd expected.

But it was still a very watchable film with two great leads and a solid supporting cast (the little girl playing Eloise was great). While I feel it didn't hit as hard as it could have done, I appreciated its exploration of the nuances of racial discrimination (in this case it's wrongly platformed in order to gain leverage in a legal proceeding), and in this case it's folded in to the complexities of a flawed extended family unit, making it more interesting still. Ultimately, it's about doing the right thing, even if it means losing face.

Octavia Spencer is always a great watch and no less so here. She has a number of nice dramatic moments, but also a few funny ones, especially her exchanges with the judge. The little stare off at the end of this scene made me laugh out loud:


 
Top