- Awards
- 7
Zero Hour! (1957) it was the Original Airplane (1980) just without the comedy i'm not even making that up they bought the rights to it so they can use dialog from it i also love this look as well of the site
I never read reviews even after watching a movie. I think it’s because I don’t know the people reviewing the movies. I like to read the reviews on Telly Talk because I get a sense of consistency and an idea on who like what.thought it was a really good film, not as good as the first Wonder Woman film but still a great piece of entertainment
I also read that the film had bad reviews before I watched it but that didn't put me off because I was so impressed with the first film. Wonder Woman 1984 is not Oscar winning material but as a piece of pure escapist action film entertainment it worked for me. I totally get your reservations about films based on magic and wishes, and I'm normally the same (e.g the latest Dune film) but because it was a superhero film I didn't really have much of a problem buying into that. I'm the one that is out of step though because most people seemed to be critical about the film but I loved it.I never read reviews even after watching a movie. I think it’s because I don’t know the people reviewing the movies. I like to read the reviews on Telly Talk because I get a sense of consistency and an idea on who like what.
I did hear or read somewhere that WW1984 received lots of bad reviews, though I don’t know how many or how terrible it appeared to movie goers.
So, with that in mind I watched with low expectations and sadly it didn’t help. The action was great, the characters enjoyable, but it was the story that didn’t work for me. That’s down to me and not the storyteller, I do not enjoy movies that are based on magic and wishes.
Another major letdown was my expectations from the soundtrack. Foolishly, I checked Spotify for the soundtrack, which had tracks from Donna Summer, Toto, FGTH, Queen and many more great tracks from the 80s.
I wish I hadn’t looked on Spotify.
The title as well as your comments reminded me of two movies from the 80s that I had on VHS. I’m curious if you have come across them.
Often I prefer chatting with others who see movies/TV different from me. If I recall, you mentioned how you didn’t like Grease 11 and I get that because so many people share your view. I often find myself thinking the second one was better than the first. And that puts me in a minority.I'm the one that is out of step though because most people seemed to be critical about the film but I loved it.
Haha!! I was obsessed with them growing up and now I find myself quite critical as I get older. It’s always been a strange one for me. I can easily watch slasher movies, but put a medical drama and n front of me and I have to turn away.used to know someone who was absolutely obsessed with slashers (disturbingly so, actually)
Oh yes, and so my next answer will be difficult.may be wrong, but I'd guess the two films you named fit into the less well-known category
Well. I’d hate to say yes because you could forever ignore any of my future recommendations.. Are they worth a peek, do you think?
Often I prefer chatting with others who see movies/TV different from me.
I can easily watch slasher movies, but put a medical drama and n front of me and I have to turn away.
Michael Myers or Freddy Kruger could rip people apart? But a doctor inserting a needle and I’m out of here.
Well. I’d hate to say yes because you could forever ignore any of my future recommendations.
I know you have enjoyed many shows from 60s through to the 80s and I think you did Prisoner Cell Block H with it wobbling walls and static acting, so there is some potential for you to enjoy them.
It’s been a long time since I watched them so I’m going by my fond memories at that time.
if I saw them on any of the sites I use, I would definitely watch them again.
I listened to this rave review for Eighth Grade from 2019 recently:
and then almost immediately it turned up on the iPlayer so I watched it, and it's really great.
I watched it, and it's really great. Gucci!
I'll give it a go in the next few days - perhaps even tonight.
Like all great coming of age movies, it's a movie that makes you think it's about you. It's a movie that makes you think "I grew up in a completely different world in a different country in a different culture in a different gender, a different nationality, whatever it is. But I understand what that character is feeling."
I'm so pleased!I loved it! What a terrific film.
Yes, I can see that. I think it could have easily been as "big" or as comedic as Muriel and still worked, but instead it stays small and understated, and is all the more powerful for it.I was reminded at times of Muriel's Wedding
The bit of the review that stayed with me is when he quotes the director as saying "this is a film about a generation ... that have been raised in a culture they did not create, but which demands that they hold themselves up for judgement online." I'd never really considered that before.I also watched the Mark Kermode review
I think it could have easily been as "big" or as comedic as Muriel and still worked, but instead it stays small and understated, and is all the more powerful for it.
The bit of the review that stayed with me is when he quotes the director as saying "this is a film about a generation ... that have been raised in a culture they did not create, but which demands that they hold themselves up for judgement online." I'd never really considered that before.
![]()
A rewatch of this brutal and beautifully depressing movie. The seventies atmosphere is quite convincing, mostly because they didn't overdo it.
The bit of the review that stayed with me is when he quotes the director as saying "this is a film about a generation ... that have been raised in a culture they did not create, but which demands that they hold themselves up for judgement online." I'd never really considered that before.
Jolly goodFlight Of The Navigator (1986).
This is still a jolly good romp through make believe, 35 years and several viewings later.
What else is there to say other than it's not a great work of cinema,but it is a nice, fun movie.

I didn't know they were the same Andrew Garfield.I was thinking about it again recently after watching Andrew Garfield's first Amazing Spider-Man film and thinking he's actually quite a decent actor.