What was the last film you watched?

Jessie

Telly Talk Superstar
LV
0
 
Awards
4
Great White
1621834435241.jpeg
 

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV
0
 
Awards
5
Sully. Miracle On The Hudson.

Tom Hanks continues to offer outstanding performances. The whole movie was really enjoyable.
I had a serious problem with this movie. I know bio-pics and "based on a true story" movies often take liberties with the story (composite characters, time compression) but the entire last act of this movie is pure fiction. The NTSB hearing was not the way it was depicted in the film. When Chesley Sullenberger was handed a copy of the script he complained that the entire tone of the hearing was wrong. When the producers refused to make significant changes Sullenberger insisted the names of the board members be changed because the characters in the movie did not accurately reflect the real life board members.
 

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV
0
 
Awards
5
My Beautiful Laundrette (1985)

My_Beautiful_Laundrette_Poster.jpg


From the second when the titles first appear on the screen this film appears dated and low budget but don't be put off by that as it's a good story told in an engaging way that at times is funny and always is intelligent. It successfully captures the vibe of 1980s Britain, covering the racial tensions, views on homosexuality and generational and class differences that existed at the times and many ways still exist today.
Excellent movie. I think the low budget look works to the movie's advantage. Gordon Warnecke and Daniel Day-Lewis have excellent chemistry.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
View attachment 27388

Like Maleficent, it turns the super villain's non-story into a heart-wrenching victim story with the obligatory soapy sub-plot.
But, unlike Maleficent, the JOKER trailer is the real thing. In fact, the movie is an extended director's cut of that trailer.

In MALEFICENT, it was the premise that worked against the movie, in JOKER it's the title character itself that takes the sting out of it.
It's very well done and it looks very convincing (and how could it not with such a paper-thin plot) but the fact that he is the famous Joker kinda keeps me at arm's length.
It's not a character's story, it's the story of a character.
The dampy/gritty seventies style is wonderfully recreated although I'm not sure if it's supposed to represent the 1970s period. It's hard to tell with all those big American cars.

The movie has its moments and I think it's succeeded in what it wanted to be. But I wouldn't recommend it to someone else.
To me it seemed very much like an updated and more gory remake of Martin Scorsese's King of Comedy (1982). I loved both films.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Moonlight (2016)

71rNJQ2g-EL._AC_SL1178_.jpg


I had seen this film before when it was first released but my opinion of it was coloured by the hype that surrounded it so I thought it deserved another viewing. It's a film in 3 parts: Chiron as a child, as a adolescent as finally as a man and at each stage he is confused or coming to terms with his sexuality. The first 2 parts were gripping, skilfully made, beautifully shot and acted. Both ended leaving me wanting more of the story and wondering what happened next. Definitely a case of less is more. The final part had less action and more subtly in how the story unfolded. Every scene is meaningful and every line of dialogue is thought out, Overall a masterclass in film making and deserving of all the accolades it received.
 

9unfold

Telly Talk Superstar
LV
1
 
Awards
9
I had a serious problem with this movie. I know bio-pics and "based on a true story" movies often take liberties with the story (composite characters, time compression) but the entire last act of this movie is pure fiction. The NTSB hearing was not the way it was depicted in the film. When Chesley Sullenberger was handed a copy of the script he complained that the entire tone of the hearing was wrong. When the producers refused to make significant changes Sullenberger insisted the names of the board members be changed because the characters in the movie did not accurately reflect the real life board members.
I tend to agree with you. Bio-pics often take liberties with facts.

When I turned over to watch Sully: Miracle..... I did so knowing that I was looking to be entertained and not educated. Tom Hanks is a great actor and I was not disappointed.
 

Spells & Karma

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
45
Tea With Mussolini (1999)


A spontaneous one and I went in knowing very little about it. Which is obviously good since I thoroughly enjoyed it. The cast was superb and the Florence setting very beautiful. Plus there were shades of Tenko at times.​
 

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV
5
 
Awards
11
Radium Girls, again-- we have Netflix on DISH satellite now, and I was able to see it better that way (when I had purchased it on that online screening site, it was an ordeal getting it to play).
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
The Story of Louis Pasteur (1936)

220px-The_Story_of_Louis_Pasteur_poster.jpg


I've not seen this film for 30 years so I was keen to re-watch it, especially as it stars Paul Muni who is one of my all time favour actors. This is not just a good biopic but also a history and science lesson. Paul Muni is great in this, he has such a strong screen presence that you almost forget that anyone else is in the film even though the supporting cast is good too.
 
Top