I had a serious problem with this movie. I know bio-pics and "based on a true story" movies often take liberties with the story (composite characters, time compression) but the entire last act of this movie is pure fiction. The NTSB hearing was not the way it was depicted in the film. When Chesley Sullenberger was handed a copy of the script he complained that the entire tone of the hearing was wrong. When the producers refused to make significant changes Sullenberger insisted the names of the board members be changed because the characters in the movie did not accurately reflect the real life board members.Sully. Miracle On The Hudson.
Tom Hanks continues to offer outstanding performances. The whole movie was really enjoyable.
Excellent movie. I think the low budget look works to the movie's advantage. Gordon Warnecke and Daniel Day-Lewis have excellent chemistry.My Beautiful Laundrette (1985)
![]()
From the second when the titles first appear on the screen this film appears dated and low budget but don't be put off by that as it's a good story told in an engaging way that at times is funny and always is intelligent. It successfully captures the vibe of 1980s Britain, covering the racial tensions, views on homosexuality and generational and class differences that existed at the times and many ways still exist today.
To me it seemed very much like an updated and more gory remake of Martin Scorsese's King of Comedy (1982). I loved both films.View attachment 27388
Like Maleficent, it turns the super villain's non-story into a heart-wrenching victim story with the obligatory soapy sub-plot.
But, unlike Maleficent, the JOKER trailer is the real thing. In fact, the movie is an extended director's cut of that trailer.
In MALEFICENT, it was the premise that worked against the movie, in JOKER it's the title character itself that takes the sting out of it.
It's very well done and it looks very convincing (and how could it not with such a paper-thin plot) but the fact that he is the famous Joker kinda keeps me at arm's length.
It's not a character's story, it's the story of a character.
The dampy/gritty seventies style is wonderfully recreated although I'm not sure if it's supposed to represent the 1970s period. It's hard to tell with all those big American cars.
The movie has its moments and I think it's succeeded in what it wanted to be. But I wouldn't recommend it to someone else.
You're not wrong: the low budget added to the 1980s vibe of the film.Excellent movie. I think the low budget look works to the movie's advantage. Gordon Warnecke and Daniel Day-Lewis have excellent chemistry.
I tend to agree with you. Bio-pics often take liberties with facts.I had a serious problem with this movie. I know bio-pics and "based on a true story" movies often take liberties with the story (composite characters, time compression) but the entire last act of this movie is pure fiction. The NTSB hearing was not the way it was depicted in the film. When Chesley Sullenberger was handed a copy of the script he complained that the entire tone of the hearing was wrong. When the producers refused to make significant changes Sullenberger insisted the names of the board members be changed because the characters in the movie did not accurately reflect the real life board members.
I only know this version from 1944, but I think it's a few steps removed form Wilde's original.The Canterville Ghost (1985)
I only know this version from 1944, but I think it's a few steps removed form Wilde's original.
I’m usually not into these kinds of movies but from that preview I’m willing to give it a chanceFear Of Rain
I really enjoyed the film.
That looks really good! I guess we can say we’ve certainly seen similar movies to it over the years but it still looks worth watching nonetheless.