- Awards
- 6
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended..
This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?
***
What If
Part 5
***
"What the hell is he doing?"
Sue Ellen turned away from the window and began pacing angrily in front of her bed.
JR's car was still parked in the driveway, but she hadn't seen him. He'd been at Southfork for hours, but hadn't spared one minute to come speak with her. She knew he had to be furious about Cliff and she had expected him to come straight to her room and explode. Instead, he seemed content to ignore her presence in the house all together.
"What are you up to, JR?" she.muttered to herself. "Why haven't you confronted me yet?"
A sickening thought stopped Sue Ellen's pacing cold. What if he wasn't going to confront her? What if he didn't come see her at all? Is it possible that JR would leave Southfork without even speaking to her? And what if he did? Why should she care? She asked him to leave her alone. Shouldn't she feel relieved that he was respecting her wishes for a change?
"Oh, Sue Ellen," she admonished herself, "what the hell is wrong with you?"
"That's a damn good question, darlin'," JR's silky voice broke through her thoughts.
Sue Ellen jumped in surprise and whirled around to face him. "JR, don't you know how to knock?"
JR grinned and shrugged. "A man shouldn't need to knock to enter his wife's bedroom."
Sue Ellen lifted her chin and stiffened her spine, "I won't be your wife for much longer, JR."
"Is that so, darlin'?" he drawled. "I don't know about that. You've had the separation papers for a while now but you haven't signed them. Doesn't seem like you're in much of a hurry to get that ring off your finger."
"Don't read too much into that, JR," Sue Ellen breathed out. "I'm simply considering my options."
"Your options?" JR asked lazily, moving to stand directly in front of her. "What options, Miss Texas? As far as I can tell your only choices are to leave or stay."
Sue Ellen swallowed hard and backed away from him. "I'm leaving, JR," she informed him coldly. "I'm just doing it on my own terms this time."
JR made no reply. He just stood there, letting his eyes sweep over her body, clad only in a thin, silky red nightgown.
"Anyway," Sue Ellen finally broke the awkward silence, "I assume you had a reason for barging into my bedroom uninvited. What do you want, JR?"
"That's a loaded question, darlin'," JR replied. "Nice nightgown. Should I be flattered you dressed so sexy for me?"
"What makes you think this is for you, JR?" Sue Ellen softly challenged.
"Oh, come on, Miss Texas," JR mocked, "you knew I'd come up here raising holy hell about Barnes. Oh yes, that get up is just for me."
Sue Ellen stiffened her body and lifted her eyes to meet his. "Maybe I just wanted to remind you of what you gave up."
"Mmmmm hmmmm," JR growled, "you don't have to remind me. I see you everytime I close my eyes. I dream about your body, Sue Ellen, I make love to you every night in my dreams."
"JR…" Sue Ellen's voice broke.
"About Barnes," JR changed the subject, breaking the sexual tension between them, "stay away from him."
"You can't tell me what to do, JR," Sue Ellen spat.
"Can't I? You're still my wife Sue Ellen."
"Oh please," Sue Ellen laughed. "I suppose you are being a paragon of faithful virtue! Tell me, JR, what was the emergency that took you into the office on a Sunday? Your new receptionist need some attention?"
JR narrowed his eyes to dangerous slits, "I told you, Sue Ellen, I'm not sleeping with my receptionist."
"Oh, sure you aren't JR. Don't forget how many years I have spent waiting for you to come home from an 'emergency at the office.' If I remember correctly, you had quite a few weekend emergencies when my little sister was playing receptionist."
"Sue Ellen, I have regretted my affair with your sister every single day since it ended. I can't change the past, but I can promise you that right now I'm not sleeping with any other woman."
"Then what was your supposed emergency, JR?" Sue Ellen demanded. "What was so important that you blew off our son?"
JR sat down heavily on the edge of her bed. "A rig in the gulf exploded early this morning, Sue Ellen. Three of my men were killed."
"Oh…." Sue Ellen felt a wave of guilt wash over her. "Oh, JR, I'm so sorry. Do you know what caused it?"
"Not yet," JR told her. "I spent all day cleaning up the mess."
Sue Ellen was at a loss. Part of her wanted to go to him, wrap her arms around him, comfort him. Another part of her rebelled against giving him any sympathy at all. This was how it always happened between them. He'd lie and cheat and she'd run away from him. Then something bad would happen and he'd come to her vulnerable, like a lost little boy and she'd melt and take him back. It was a sick, vicious cycle.
"I'm truly sorry for your problems, JR," she finally said. "It's late and I'm tired. Was there anything else you wanted?"
JR's eyes widened with surprise. He wasn't sure what he had expected from her tonight, but it wasn't a cold dismissal.
"What if there was something else I wanted, Sue Ellen?" his voice was low and taunting, "would you give it to me?"
"No," Sue Ellen choked out the single word response.
JR's eyebrows raised at her refusal. "Really? You sure about that, Miss Texas?" He stood up and walked to her, standing so close their bodies were touching. "You went to an awful lot of trouble to get me here, Sue Ellen. Using Barnes to make me jealous, getting all dolled up in sexy lingerie. Well laid plans." He put his hands on her hips and pulled her close against him, "You wanted me here, Sue Ellen," he breathed against her ear, "don't lose your nerve now that you got what you wanted."
He bent his head and captured her lips in a deep, passionate kiss. Sue Ellen offered no resistance, wrapping her arms around his neck and reveling in the feel of his embrace. JR moved his hands to cup her bottom, he deepened his exploration of her mouth, tasting every part of her delicious mouth with his tongue.
"Sue Ellen" he growled when he finally broke the kiss and lifted his head, "my God, I've missed this."
"Don't talk, JR," she urged, bringing her hands down between their bodies to stroke his chest. "Just make love to me."
JR groaned deeply and backed her up against the bed. They fell together, his lips never leaving hers. She fumbled desperately with the buttons on his shirt, needing so badly to feel his bare skin against hers.
"JR....please," she begged breathlessly when he pulled away from her to remove his clothes.
"Don't worry, darlin'," he chuckled lowly, "I'm not going anywhere."
Suddenly, the quiet around them was shattered by a loud crash and the sound of a little boy's scream. JR froze and Sue Ellen shot up off the bed. "John Ross?" she whispered fearfully.
"No," JR answered, quickly buttoning his shirt back up. "That was Christopher."
***
"Did you see anything, JR?" Bobby asked anxiously when his brother came through the door.
"Not a thing," JR sighed. "Ray and Clayton are still out there looking."
"I don't know, JR," Bobby sighed. "Maybe he was dreaming."
JR shook his head, "whatever smashed that vase in the hallway was no dream, Bobby."
"But how could anyone get in and out of the house so fast?" Bobby asked doubtfully.
"I don't know, Bob. But Mama and Clayton were asleep. Lucy was in her room reading. Teresa and Raoul were retired for the night. John Ross was in bed. Sue Ellen and I were...occupied. Unless you knocked over the vase and scared the hell out of your son, someone else was in this house."
"You think we should call the police?" Miss Ellie asked, coming into the room.
"Yes, I think we'd better," JR replied. "I really think we'd better."
***
"Are the boys alright?"
Sue Ellen opened her eyes and saw her husband standing over her bed. "Yes," she answered. They're both sleeping in John Ross's room. Are the police gone?"
"Yes," JR answered. "I get the feeling they aren't taking this too seriously. They think Christopher imagined the whole thing."
"Are you sure he didn't, JR?"
"I don't know Sue Ellen. I don't see any way that vase got broken unless someone was in this house. Christopher didn't have time to break it and get back into bed before Bobby and I got to his room."
"What should we do, JR?"
JR sighed and sat down beside her on the bed. "Change the alarm security code. Change the locks. Get some of the ranch hands to keep watch. Other than that, I don't know."
"Are you staying here tonight?" she kept her gaze fixed on the bedspread. "I would feel better if you did."
"Would you?" he asked softly.
"Yes," she answered, "but happened between us earlier, JR...that was a mistake."
"Was it?" he reached out and stroked her cheek gently. "We both wanted it Sue Ellen."
"Yes," she admitted reluctantly. "We both always want it, JR. But it never really changes anything between us."
"Sue Ellen…"
"Please, JR," she interrupted him, "you and I...well, it's always the same story. You want me, but you don't want to be committed to me. If I give in now, it'll be the same as always. There'll always be another Kristin, or Afton, or Holly, or Mandy, or Kimberly. Always, JR."
"The past is the past," JR ground out. "I can't change it. I know, Sue Ellen, I know how many times I promised to change. The last time you took me back.."
His voice trailed off and Sue Ellen finally looked up into his eyes. "What, JR?"
"I was happy, Sue Ellen. I was so in love with you and so content in our life together. But then…" JR shrugged. "I lost Ewing Oil. I lost everything to Wendell. All I could think about was getting it back. The only way I could figure to do it was through Kimberly. Hell, Sue Ellen. I didn't really want her. I just needed her to get my company back."
"You could have come to me, JR," Sue Ellen said softly. "We could have figured it out together. Instead you threw me and our marriage away like garbage."
"I never meant for it to be permanent, Sue Ellen," JR confessed. "I thought I'd get what I wanted from Kimberly then win you back."
"Just like always," Sue Ellen muttered. "Not this time, JR. I can't live my life wondering when the next woman, the next fight for Ewing Oil will destroy my happiness."
"You're going through with the divorce?" he asked her sadly
"Yes, JR. It's the only way I'll ever have any peace."
JR sighed heavily and stood up. "I never thought there was anything I could do that would cause me to lose you forever. Guess I was wrong. I'll stay across the hall tonight," he said, moving to the door. "I'll be gone when you wake up in the morning. Goodnight, Sue Ellen."
Sue Ellen choked back a hurt cry as she watched him leave her room and shut the door behind him.
"Goodbye, JR."
***
This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?
***
What If
Part 5
***
"What the hell is he doing?"
Sue Ellen turned away from the window and began pacing angrily in front of her bed.
JR's car was still parked in the driveway, but she hadn't seen him. He'd been at Southfork for hours, but hadn't spared one minute to come speak with her. She knew he had to be furious about Cliff and she had expected him to come straight to her room and explode. Instead, he seemed content to ignore her presence in the house all together.
"What are you up to, JR?" she.muttered to herself. "Why haven't you confronted me yet?"
A sickening thought stopped Sue Ellen's pacing cold. What if he wasn't going to confront her? What if he didn't come see her at all? Is it possible that JR would leave Southfork without even speaking to her? And what if he did? Why should she care? She asked him to leave her alone. Shouldn't she feel relieved that he was respecting her wishes for a change?
"Oh, Sue Ellen," she admonished herself, "what the hell is wrong with you?"
"That's a damn good question, darlin'," JR's silky voice broke through her thoughts.
Sue Ellen jumped in surprise and whirled around to face him. "JR, don't you know how to knock?"
JR grinned and shrugged. "A man shouldn't need to knock to enter his wife's bedroom."
Sue Ellen lifted her chin and stiffened her spine, "I won't be your wife for much longer, JR."
"Is that so, darlin'?" he drawled. "I don't know about that. You've had the separation papers for a while now but you haven't signed them. Doesn't seem like you're in much of a hurry to get that ring off your finger."
"Don't read too much into that, JR," Sue Ellen breathed out. "I'm simply considering my options."
"Your options?" JR asked lazily, moving to stand directly in front of her. "What options, Miss Texas? As far as I can tell your only choices are to leave or stay."
Sue Ellen swallowed hard and backed away from him. "I'm leaving, JR," she informed him coldly. "I'm just doing it on my own terms this time."
JR made no reply. He just stood there, letting his eyes sweep over her body, clad only in a thin, silky red nightgown.
"Anyway," Sue Ellen finally broke the awkward silence, "I assume you had a reason for barging into my bedroom uninvited. What do you want, JR?"
"That's a loaded question, darlin'," JR replied. "Nice nightgown. Should I be flattered you dressed so sexy for me?"
"What makes you think this is for you, JR?" Sue Ellen softly challenged.
"Oh, come on, Miss Texas," JR mocked, "you knew I'd come up here raising holy hell about Barnes. Oh yes, that get up is just for me."
Sue Ellen stiffened her body and lifted her eyes to meet his. "Maybe I just wanted to remind you of what you gave up."
"Mmmmm hmmmm," JR growled, "you don't have to remind me. I see you everytime I close my eyes. I dream about your body, Sue Ellen, I make love to you every night in my dreams."
"JR…" Sue Ellen's voice broke.
"About Barnes," JR changed the subject, breaking the sexual tension between them, "stay away from him."
"You can't tell me what to do, JR," Sue Ellen spat.
"Can't I? You're still my wife Sue Ellen."
"Oh please," Sue Ellen laughed. "I suppose you are being a paragon of faithful virtue! Tell me, JR, what was the emergency that took you into the office on a Sunday? Your new receptionist need some attention?"
JR narrowed his eyes to dangerous slits, "I told you, Sue Ellen, I'm not sleeping with my receptionist."
"Oh, sure you aren't JR. Don't forget how many years I have spent waiting for you to come home from an 'emergency at the office.' If I remember correctly, you had quite a few weekend emergencies when my little sister was playing receptionist."
"Sue Ellen, I have regretted my affair with your sister every single day since it ended. I can't change the past, but I can promise you that right now I'm not sleeping with any other woman."
"Then what was your supposed emergency, JR?" Sue Ellen demanded. "What was so important that you blew off our son?"
JR sat down heavily on the edge of her bed. "A rig in the gulf exploded early this morning, Sue Ellen. Three of my men were killed."
"Oh…." Sue Ellen felt a wave of guilt wash over her. "Oh, JR, I'm so sorry. Do you know what caused it?"
"Not yet," JR told her. "I spent all day cleaning up the mess."
Sue Ellen was at a loss. Part of her wanted to go to him, wrap her arms around him, comfort him. Another part of her rebelled against giving him any sympathy at all. This was how it always happened between them. He'd lie and cheat and she'd run away from him. Then something bad would happen and he'd come to her vulnerable, like a lost little boy and she'd melt and take him back. It was a sick, vicious cycle.
"I'm truly sorry for your problems, JR," she finally said. "It's late and I'm tired. Was there anything else you wanted?"
JR's eyes widened with surprise. He wasn't sure what he had expected from her tonight, but it wasn't a cold dismissal.
"What if there was something else I wanted, Sue Ellen?" his voice was low and taunting, "would you give it to me?"
"No," Sue Ellen choked out the single word response.
JR's eyebrows raised at her refusal. "Really? You sure about that, Miss Texas?" He stood up and walked to her, standing so close their bodies were touching. "You went to an awful lot of trouble to get me here, Sue Ellen. Using Barnes to make me jealous, getting all dolled up in sexy lingerie. Well laid plans." He put his hands on her hips and pulled her close against him, "You wanted me here, Sue Ellen," he breathed against her ear, "don't lose your nerve now that you got what you wanted."
He bent his head and captured her lips in a deep, passionate kiss. Sue Ellen offered no resistance, wrapping her arms around his neck and reveling in the feel of his embrace. JR moved his hands to cup her bottom, he deepened his exploration of her mouth, tasting every part of her delicious mouth with his tongue.
"Sue Ellen" he growled when he finally broke the kiss and lifted his head, "my God, I've missed this."
"Don't talk, JR," she urged, bringing her hands down between their bodies to stroke his chest. "Just make love to me."
JR groaned deeply and backed her up against the bed. They fell together, his lips never leaving hers. She fumbled desperately with the buttons on his shirt, needing so badly to feel his bare skin against hers.
"JR....please," she begged breathlessly when he pulled away from her to remove his clothes.
"Don't worry, darlin'," he chuckled lowly, "I'm not going anywhere."
Suddenly, the quiet around them was shattered by a loud crash and the sound of a little boy's scream. JR froze and Sue Ellen shot up off the bed. "John Ross?" she whispered fearfully.
"No," JR answered, quickly buttoning his shirt back up. "That was Christopher."
***
"Did you see anything, JR?" Bobby asked anxiously when his brother came through the door.
"Not a thing," JR sighed. "Ray and Clayton are still out there looking."
"I don't know, JR," Bobby sighed. "Maybe he was dreaming."
JR shook his head, "whatever smashed that vase in the hallway was no dream, Bobby."
"But how could anyone get in and out of the house so fast?" Bobby asked doubtfully.
"I don't know, Bob. But Mama and Clayton were asleep. Lucy was in her room reading. Teresa and Raoul were retired for the night. John Ross was in bed. Sue Ellen and I were...occupied. Unless you knocked over the vase and scared the hell out of your son, someone else was in this house."
"You think we should call the police?" Miss Ellie asked, coming into the room.
"Yes, I think we'd better," JR replied. "I really think we'd better."
***
"Are the boys alright?"
Sue Ellen opened her eyes and saw her husband standing over her bed. "Yes," she answered. They're both sleeping in John Ross's room. Are the police gone?"
"Yes," JR answered. "I get the feeling they aren't taking this too seriously. They think Christopher imagined the whole thing."
"Are you sure he didn't, JR?"
"I don't know Sue Ellen. I don't see any way that vase got broken unless someone was in this house. Christopher didn't have time to break it and get back into bed before Bobby and I got to his room."
"What should we do, JR?"
JR sighed and sat down beside her on the bed. "Change the alarm security code. Change the locks. Get some of the ranch hands to keep watch. Other than that, I don't know."
"Are you staying here tonight?" she kept her gaze fixed on the bedspread. "I would feel better if you did."
"Would you?" he asked softly.
"Yes," she answered, "but happened between us earlier, JR...that was a mistake."
"Was it?" he reached out and stroked her cheek gently. "We both wanted it Sue Ellen."
"Yes," she admitted reluctantly. "We both always want it, JR. But it never really changes anything between us."
"Sue Ellen…"
"Please, JR," she interrupted him, "you and I...well, it's always the same story. You want me, but you don't want to be committed to me. If I give in now, it'll be the same as always. There'll always be another Kristin, or Afton, or Holly, or Mandy, or Kimberly. Always, JR."
"The past is the past," JR ground out. "I can't change it. I know, Sue Ellen, I know how many times I promised to change. The last time you took me back.."
His voice trailed off and Sue Ellen finally looked up into his eyes. "What, JR?"
"I was happy, Sue Ellen. I was so in love with you and so content in our life together. But then…" JR shrugged. "I lost Ewing Oil. I lost everything to Wendell. All I could think about was getting it back. The only way I could figure to do it was through Kimberly. Hell, Sue Ellen. I didn't really want her. I just needed her to get my company back."
"You could have come to me, JR," Sue Ellen said softly. "We could have figured it out together. Instead you threw me and our marriage away like garbage."
"I never meant for it to be permanent, Sue Ellen," JR confessed. "I thought I'd get what I wanted from Kimberly then win you back."
"Just like always," Sue Ellen muttered. "Not this time, JR. I can't live my life wondering when the next woman, the next fight for Ewing Oil will destroy my happiness."
"You're going through with the divorce?" he asked her sadly
"Yes, JR. It's the only way I'll ever have any peace."
JR sighed heavily and stood up. "I never thought there was anything I could do that would cause me to lose you forever. Guess I was wrong. I'll stay across the hall tonight," he said, moving to the door. "I'll be gone when you wake up in the morning. Goodnight, Sue Ellen."
Sue Ellen choked back a hurt cry as she watched him leave her room and shut the door behind him.
"Goodbye, JR."
***


