- Awards
- 9
Having watched this movie, I can only describe it some God awful shite.THE MOSQUITO COAST (1986)
Having watched this movie, I can only describe it some God awful shite.THE MOSQUITO COAST (1986)
The first question should be: is that something I can do, but I clicked on the link and it worked.I don't know if you're a podcast sort of a person, Willie
Every time I look for something on the internet (music or films or just anything that interests me) I always get to the point where I feel I've exhausted every source available, that idea of "now I've seen it all".it might give you some interesting ideas of films to watch (not that you need any, I'm sure).
A few years ago, I watched an amazing documentary series called 'The Story of Film: An Odyssey' which made it feel like the whole history of cinema was inter-connected and made me want to see every film ever made.Every time I look for something on the internet (music or films or just anything that interests me) I always get to the point where I feel I've exhausted every source available, that idea of "now I've seen it all".
Then after a while I start again and then there's still so much more I hadn't noticed before. Suggestions are always very welcome and I pick up a lot of titles that are mentioned in the various threads. It all gets jotted down in the bloc note. Information first, decision later.
I like listening to podcasts when I'm doing something else, like cooking, or when I'm in bed. Weirdly, the most interested I am in it, the more likely I am to fall asleep.I think it's something I would enjoy when I'm in the bus or train, but to sit here in my chair and stare at a screen that doesn't show any action isn't a lot of fun, to be honest.
Being interested is a good feeling, perhaps this tells your brain that it's safe to trick you into falling asleep.Weirdly, the most interested I am in it, the more likely I am to fall asleep


INCEPTION (2010)
View attachment 51619
Inspired by the Leonardo DiCaprio thread (which was inspired by an update of the River Phoenix thread, which was inspired by my review of a River Phoenix film, which was inspired by my desire to watch a great film from the 1980s) I decided to ignore my instincts and my previously failed attempts to watch this film.
This time it was going to happen, come hell or high water.
It turned out be hell and high water, and I'm not sure if I can ever forgive myself. It's really not about the time I've wasted, it's just that I don't want to know this story.
I've never realized how happy and blissfully unaware I was before I subjected myself to INCEPTION.
And btw, why does IMDB show me Dutch translations and film posters - but not consistently? I understand the IP address thing but I don't understand why they do it.
It looks as if the filmmaker has taken his cue from the Gaming Universe by writing a new rule book that allows the story to develop in a particular and most spectacular way. So far so good, I suppose.
The problem is that the film explains relentlessly how it works (inadvertently magnifying the issues why it doesn't work) but completely omits the explanation why it works.
The story has already arrived there when the film begins but that is something I can overlook when I'm in the mood for it, and to be honest the film does give you the option to buy into it or walk away from it right from the very beginning.
This time I felt strong and ready for the challenge, but apart from the issues mentioned earlier I had not foreseen that INCEPTION was also going to take itself very very very seriously, like watching someone masturbating to his own crazy fanfic. It made me feel dirty but not in a fun way.
Then, on top of everything, it also manages to be a boring film. Even without trying keeping up with the specific rules and why this-or-that works in such-or-so way I found it increasingly difficult to pay attention to the non-stop action/fantasy sequences. When it feels like watching the screen rather than what's happening on that screen then it sucks all the pleasure out of it.
INCEPTION is currently rated 8,8 at IMDB. (!!)
How in the world.
Leonardo got the "dead wife" movie trope and if I have to mention one positive thing then I'll say that I liked her as the antagonist who keeps popping up in Leonardo's unconsciousness.
I don't hate INCEPTION, I just want to un-see it. Please write me a rule book that can make it happen.
View attachment 51620
Tonight was an "underrated gems of 1980s cinema" double feature.
THE MOSQUITO COAST (1986)
The 6.6 IMDB rating is ridiculous because this film has everything that Aguirre, Wrath Of God doesn't have: an all-round terrific cast, big drama and one of the most impressive explosions I have ever seen in a film. Directed by Peter "Picnic At Hanging Rock" Weir.
Former action-adventure hero Indy seems a logical choice for MOSQUITO's techno-Frankenstein who's trying to build a new and untarnished civilisation in the jungle, except that this Harrison Ford is far from likeable.
The first 20 minutes is almost a non-stop tirade against US consumerism and waste culture, and it even continues when the setting moves from America to their green nirvana.
There is the irony of the disillusioned American who then buys a jungle village and accuses another white man of trespassing.
I've never really thought about it but there's something truly bizarre about "man" owning a piece of the planet. Who the hell do we think we are?
Yound and fresh-looking River Phoenix was the eighties answer to Leonardo DiCaprio and I must check out some of his other films.
Andre Gregory is a joy as Reverend Spellgood and I wish his part had been bigger. "Dinner With Andre" added to the watch list.
The twins are the stereotypical twin toddlers who only serve as extra precious baggage. At one point they have to be strapped to a mast to keep them inside the boat. Funny.
Conrad Roberts is the main black actor who plays Mr. Haddy and he's so good that I almost didn't notice it. Perhaps it's also a bit racist to assume that these kind of roles are easy to do for black actors.
Protagonist Allie Fox is definitely a racist, a dictator and a lousy father, and not in an entertainingly villainous kind of way. It goes completely against Harrison Ford's blockbuster charm and that alone makes it an interesting performance to watch.
Helen Mirren is never not good but I wonder if the novel describes as being British.
Somehow it kinda works that she unintentionally creates an air of detachment, it makes it easier to believe that she would follow her bossy genius-husband all over the world, like a devoted Mary Poppins wife.
It's a beautiful and very intense film, and as with most great films of the 80s decade a bit harder to discover. But it's always the payoff that counts.






The actress who played nurse Barker reminded me of a woman who used to work in a department store I frequented, and we hated each other.You're being paid to sit in the hall, that's all you're good for.
THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE (1946)
View attachment 51761
This time it's a misleading title rather than a misleading film poster, as that spiral staircase only marginally contributes to the story.
In fact, it's massively upstaged by the grand staircase in this typically American mansion including the offensive but fashionable black statures.
Although it could be argued that the staircase is upstaged by that fantastic, huge mirror on the mid-landing.
View attachment 51762
View attachment 51763
Yes, why didn't the Carringtons have a mirror like that on their dramatic staircase?
It's very much a product of its time, an unsubtle and melodramatic gothic noir, but the effects and cinematography are excellent.
I'd say that it puts the "dark" back in DARK SHADOWS, and I always love it when they transform something as mundane as a person's eye into a macabre and grotesque feature.
View attachment 51764
The events play out during a thunderstorm - well, naturally - and it enhances the experience of cozy nighttime watching.
Dorothy McGuire's ficitional vocal handicap proves a little bit too ambitious sometimes but never to the point that it started to irritate me. Besides, it was compensated by physical acting that captured the frenzy this film was going for.
I enjoyed the bitchiness between the bedridden matriarch and nurse Barker.
The actress who played nurse Barker reminded me of a woman who used to work in a department store I frequented, and we hated each other.
Then there's the sneaky maid who's only interested in getting drunk, sexy secretary Blanche who also lives in the mansion, and the new handsome doctor in town, Dr. Rossi style.
So, apart from being a serial strangler whodunnit there are various other things to enjoy. I guessed the murderer but not for the correct reasons.
All in all, this is a good choice if you're in the mood for something old-fashioned with a few surprisingly creepy effects, but don't expect too much from the spiral staircase itself.

and also real life "Darling" Anita Pallenberg as the psycho nurse to James Coburn's matador surgeon.
Any movie that gives me an excuse to watch the great Judy Garland perform is fine with me. I’m not really a fan of musicals overall but that all changes where she is concerned.Easter Parade (1948)


