What was the last film you watched?

Sea - Boo! - Er

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
21
Watership Down (1978)
Another of those "classics" that I've never seen before.
Not as original as it's cracked up to be. It's really only a mashup of two genres that you wouldn't normally think of together - a gritty British war drama done with cute cartoon bunnies.
 

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
5
 
Awards
17
I just read up on Watership Down as I’ve actually never seen it. Apparently it was banned in certain schools and other countries for portraying animals as being equal to humans? Does anyone know the story behind this? Seems a little drastic to me. Is there more to this story?
 

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
7
i just got done watching one of the worst films i've EVER seen in my life, it was so bad that i think if you recorded paint dry and sat and watched it for 60 hrs that would make a more enjoyable film than this one i watched. the acting was so bad that to use a quote from an early Cinema Snob episode from i think the first 10 or 20 episodes that he ever did you need a support group to get over on how bad this film is. the sad thing is the idea isn't that bad of an idea in fact it's a pretty solid original idea.

Every-so-often, boys disappear from the Delta House, a Sorority suspected to be based on cannibalism. that's not a bad idea for a film but the acting by the entire cast is so bad that it was VERY painful to sit through this thing and it's not just the acting, Julia Strain whom i never got why people love her? she's not any kind of good actress at all and Brinke Stevens was awful in it too but to be fair she as a tiny bit not a lot but a tiny bit better than Julia Strain. there's a cat fight in it that a pre schooler could have directed better. women can fight they can be bad asses just like some guys can be but if ya really wanted them to do a fight scene use their fists it makes for a more enjoyable fight than a poorly done cat fight,

the film in question is called Delta Delta Die (2003) MFV it was apparently filmed at the same time as Bleed (2002) MFV which is just how i phrase made for video that one is just a copy of scream it's bad but this one is far worse. this is another Charles band movie, i bought this because it was a band movie as i'm a huge Charles band fan of his movies anyways not of the man himself & i got it for a couple bucks back like 2010 i think? so it took me 11 years to watch it and i wish i would have waited 35 more years to watch it that's how bad it is. people say Plan 9 (1956) is bad? no that movie is freaking Citizen freaking Kane (1941) compared to this one that film is Gosford Park (2001) compared to this film.

Do not watch unless you drink a keg with a group of friends and are both drunk and stoned at the same time that's the only way to enjoy this film. i don't normally rate a movie like this and this would be a first to be honest but i''d say -50/10
 

Spells & Karma

Admin
LV
17
 
Awards
46
American Psycho (2000)


It's the best part of two decades since I last watched. It holds up well and the Eighties cultural references age like wine. If anything, I enjoyed it more than I did when it first came out. It's more shocking and funny than I remember, and the psychology and implications of duality are fascinating. The more I think about it, the less sure I am about what actually happened.

14f289720232737f5c0f54f5830bba58.jpg
 

Spells & Karma

Admin
LV
17
 
Awards
46
A Sixties double-bill in O'Dramavision today:



The Last Man On Earth (1964)


In which a disease that may be airborne affects the entire planet and people lock themselves away to avoid those affected while researchers work night and day to find a vaccine. The very idea!

Unfortunately, the version on Prime was colourised, which no doubt took away some of the noirish tone. Still, an absorbing film.

MV5BODA0MzRhYWMtMGUxYi00NmQyLWEyOWYtMGI4NjM3ZDE5NTEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg


Then there was....





Ladies Who Do (1963)


In which Robert Morley convinces Peggy Mount and Dandy Nichols to battle evil developers Harry H. Corbett and Jon Pertwee (who are about to tear down their street) by stealing information from waste paper baskets while cleaning offices. A terrific film and a very nice way to spend 85 minutes.

bbf10aa27ca2aaf3280ac5369b4bba23.jpg
 

Sea - Boo! - Er

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
21
The Last Man On Earth (1964)
I'd be curious to see that. It was based on a novel by Richard Matheson (who also wrote the novels on which The Incredible Shrinking Man and Somewhere in Time were based).
I've only seen the remake with Charlton Heston (called The Omega Man), but there's also a third version starring Will Smith (under the novel's original title I Am Legend).
 

Spells & Karma

Admin
LV
17
 
Awards
46
It was based on a novel by Richard Matheson (who also wrote the novels on which The Incredible Shrinking Man and Somewhere in Time were based).

Considering his impressive body of work, I'm slightly ashamed to say that whenever I see his name I think of his gaudy 3-D credit in the opening titles of Jaws 3-D, for which he wrote the initial screenplay.


I've only seen the remake with Charlton Heston (called The Omega Man)

Ah. I hadn't realised The Omega Man was based on this. In fact I had no idea what it was about, but it's still on my bucket viewing list because of Ron Grainer's theme. I even sometimes use Geoff Love's disco version as a ringtone:



but there's also a third version starring Will Smith (under the novel's original title I Am Legend).

Oh, of course. I Am Legend was mentioned in the film credits of the 1964 version. It rang a bell, but I couldn't think how and I forgot to look into it when the film was over.
 

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
7
The last Man on earth (1964) is i think the best version of that Story to be honest and it's the one i've seen the most i think it's the most faithful but than i could be wrong. The Omega man (1971) is a decent film that wasn't as good as i hear it was but it was by no means a terrible film at all. I am Legend (2007) with Will Smith was another decent film i saw that on the big screen and it was pretty good movie but isn't among my favorites. I am Omega (2007) as well that's a decent one too it's nothing to write home about to use an old saying but it's worth a watch just once and only once
 

Spells & Karma

Admin
LV
17
 
Awards
46
Ghost Ship (2014 - AKA Curse Of The Phoenix, apparently)


There was something endearingly amateurish about it. Like a slick student film, or an extended episode of Dramarama Spooky (or some similarly ghostly Eighties children's TV drama).​
 

9unfold

Telly Talk Superstar
LV
1
 
Awards
9
Ghostbusters (1984). Although the special effects are dated by today's standards, the movie is actually very good.

It's a movie with great performances all round by the cast.
 

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
7
oh i love the Effects of Ghostbusters (1984) i went and saw it on the big screen in (1984) as well it was the 1st film at that age i was i think 5 at the time i was able to stay awake for
 

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
7
ya know with the exception of some of the FX today like the MCU films for example i would take the FX from Ghostbusters 1 and 2 (1984-1989) over most movies made today with CGI. it just depends on the film of course i think the FX for both films look pretty damn good yet when you deal with CGI well that doesn't always age well while it's looking good now today's CGI i mean but in 20 or 30 years it may look like shit compared to what it looks like than that's how i look at it anyways
 

Spells & Karma

Admin
LV
17
 
Awards
46
The Old Dark House (1932)

The_Old_Dark_House_%281932_poster%29.jpeg


With its long shadows by candlelight and thunderstorms accompanied by torrential downpours, it delivers on the moody gothic atmosphere promised in the gorgeous poster.

The pace is very leisurely indeed (I couldn't help thinking of @James from London describing how nothing ever happens in early Emmerdale Farm, and wondered if this is similar to the viewing experience I'll have whenever I get round to watching it). All the same, it's plainly a daring film for its time, what with a showgirl dumping the rich daddy who's keeping her once she finds another sucker (she elicits a marriage proposal overnight, which would be artful if he wasn't so gullibly easy).

If Kenneth Williams didn't base Carry On Screaming's Dr Watt on Ernest Thesiger in this film I'll be amazed. The resemblance is uncanny.

Charles Laughton's refreshingly natural Yorkshire accent aside, most visitors to the house provide an interesting study in mid-Atlantic accents. With it being set in Wales (somewhere I tend to assume most Americans think is a borough of Greater London), I spent the entire film assuming they were Brits doing switched up vowel sounds and t flapping (à la Prince "securidy" Harry) in order to be understood across the pond. Turns out the ones that grabbed my attention were Americans using British accents.


 

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
5
 
Awards
17
I would definitely give that a chance. I’ve always been fascinated with Old Hollywood. I’ll even take the leisurely pace these movies tend to have back then. And there’s something to be said about those corny, cheesy special effects they had. They might be bad, but they also have a nice charm to them imo.
 

Spells & Karma

Admin
LV
17
 
Awards
46
would definitely give that a chance. I’ve always been fascinated with Old Hollywood. I’ll even take the leisurely pace these movies tend to have back then.

If the trailer grabs you it's definitely worth a peek. What you see is pretty much what you get.

And there’s something to be said about those corny, cheesy special effects they had. They might be bad, but they also have a nice charm to them imo.

Ha ha. Yes - I know what you mean.

I think part of the reason The Old Dark House held up well is that the special effects aren't overdone. But it's definitely fun to see how things were done back then. There's a scene early in the film with a car driving through rocks coming down from a landslide where a miniature car with dolls inside seemed to be used. But it actually worked.
 
Top