What was the last film you watched?

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
The Wild Affair (1963)





With much made of Vidal Sassoon and Mary Quant's involvement, I was expecting a swinging Carnaby Street groove.

It was a surprisingly frank film in many ways. Basically about a woman trying to get laid at the Christmas party out of fear that, once married, she'll only ever sleep with her husband. So it's a nice mix of traditional attitudes (the office party is also doubling as her leaving party, since her getting married means she'll have a full-time role serving her husband) which get turned on their head.

It's kind of like The Seven Year Itch, where conservatism (and monogamy) wins out, which is fine. But having a woman - and an Asian woman at that - as the person wanting affirmation from others makes it feel edgier than it ever could with a randy man. I also found it quite poignant at times. It's one of those films where the audience feels connected to the characters even without knowing that much about them.

Lots of familiar faces from British comedy of the era: Betty Marsden; Terry Thomas; Frank Thornton (playing a salesman, naturally); Jimmy Logan; Paul Whitsun-Jones (you'll know the face, if not the name) and Victor Spinetti.​
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
I just re-watched two mid-70s classics, Francis Coppola's The Conversation (1974) and Michael Cimino's The Deer Hunter (1978).

The Conversation
is a paranoid, almost Pinter-esque thriller: loner Gene Hackman is under instruction to surveil two young people but he doesn't know why, and the why proceeds to drive him slowly nuts. Indiana Jones, Fredo Corleone, Phoebe Buffet's mother, Police Chief Brody and Shirley off of Laverne and Shirley all make an appearance.

poster_theconversation.jpg


Fredo Corleone (the brilliant John Cazale) is also in The Deer Hunter.

deer%2Bhunter.jpg


My favourite film critic Mark Kermode thinks "The Deer Hunter is one of the worst films ever made, a rambling self-indulgent, self-aggrandising barf-fest steeped in manipulatively racist emotion, and notable primarily for its farcically melodramatic tone which is pitched somewhere between shrieking hysteria and somnambulist somberness." I can kind of see what he means, but I also think it's beautiful, haunting, harrowing and just so sad. It feels epic and small at the same time, sort of like an existential Dr Zhivago. The running time is three hours and pretty much the first third is given over to a small town wedding which doubles as a send-off party for the groom and his two friends who are off to Vietnam the next day. It's so wonderful to see a pre-fame Robert de Niro*, Christopher Walken, Cazale, Meryl Streep and the especially great John Savage back when they were all so young, playing off each other so beautifully -- getting drunk, falling in love, taking the p*ss, laughing, dancing, streaking. Then without warning, you're plunged into the hell of war and the film's most infamous sequence. Suffice to say, there aren't many laughs from this point on, but there are moments of delicacy and beauty and it's completely riveting throughout.

*Actually, de Niro had already done Taxi Driver and The Godfather Part II by this point.
 
Last edited:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
I just re-watched two mid-70s classics, Francis Coppola's The Conversation (1974) and Michael Cimino's The Deer Hunter (1978).

I can't begin to explain how I've lived this long without watching either.


The Conversation is a paranoid, almost Pinter-esque thriller: loner Gene Hackman is under instruction to surveil two young people but he doesn't know why, and the why proceeds to drive him slowly nuts.

Wow.


Indiana Jones, Fredo Corleone, Phoebe Buffet's mother, Police Chief Brody and Shirley off of Laverne and Shirley all make an appearance.

And this is the point I scuttled over to see if it was on Amazon Prime. IAs it isn't, it looks like the Blu-ray has come onto my radar.
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
And this is the point I scuttled over to see if it was on Amazon Prime. IAs it isn't, it looks like the Blu-ray has come onto my radar.

It's actually on the iPlayer for the next six days (as is The Deer Hunter).
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
Indiana Jones, Fredo Corleone, Phoebe Buffet's mother, Police Chief Brody and Shirley off of Laverne and Shirley all make an appearance.

Some of those appearances are quite fleeting!
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
Sorcerer, a film I'm not familiar with but which looks intriguingly intense

Oh, interesting. I've never seen Sorcerer, but I know Mark Kermode describes it as a masterpiece (even though it was a disaster at the box office - opening the same week as Star Wars didn't help). Here is Kermode raving/talking interestingly about its background, but it might be best to watch the film first.

 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Here is Kermode raving/talking interestingly about its background, but it might be best to watch the film first.

Funnily enough after watching a couple of trailers I came across a number of videos of MK speaking about it. And this was the one I watched.



I'd wondered how I'd managed not to hear about Sorcerer until now, and then saw that the film was re-named Wages Of Fear in the UK (a nod to the title of the earlier film of which it's essentially a remake). And that has a ring of familiarity.
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
the film was re-named Wages Of Fear in the UK (a nod to the title of the film film of which it's essentially a remake).

Interesting! I've seen the original Wages of Fear (great) but didn't realise the remake was renamed in its honour over here (they do like to complicate things, don't they?). Funnily enough, the premise of Wages/Sorceror and the central setpiece of The Deer Hunter were both recycled (in watered-down form) for shortlived storylines during Falcon Crest's later years.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
I've seen the original Wages of Fear (great)

Another one on my ever-growing bucket list.



(they do like to complicate things, don't they?)

I'm always curious about the background to these decisions. I can start to understand this one, since the word Sorcerer has very definite fantasy connotations. But then, I imagine there's more to The Deer Hunter than hunting deer.



Funnily enough, the premise of Wages/Sorceror and the central setpiece of The Deer Hunter were both recycled (in watered-down form) for shortlived storylines during Falcon Crest's later years.

Oh my.
 
Top