- Awards
- 52
I've just finished a biography of Montgomery Clift and what I didn't realise about him before was how highly he was regarded as an actor amongst his peers. Some major Hollywood stars used to feel they had to up their game when they appeared in a film with him so they wouldn't look bad in comparison. He also was a generous actor and would rewrite dialogue for his co-stars and coach them for hours to help them give their best possible performance.I heard an interesting titbit about Montgomery Clift the other week, When entering a scene on a film or TV set, actors are usually given "marks", i.e., something on the floor to let them know where they need to end up standing to accommodate the camera. The tricky bit is to hit the mark without looking down - unless you're Clift, who apparently made a habit of incorporating the search for his mark into his performance, by looking moodily down at the ground until he reached his spot.
