What was the last film you watched?

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
The Children Act (2017)

MV5BODUwOTk1MzI3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTI4NDE3NTM@._V1_.jpg

Fascinating but oddly unbalanced film starring Emma Thompson as a judge whose responsibilities entail making impossibly difficult rulings in legal cases involving kids. Her work consumes her at the expense of her marriage to Stanley Tucci. It's very interesting to see legal procedures depicted from a judge's point of view and I could kind of imagine this as a slick three-part series on the BBC, until about halfway through when it takes an abrupt turn into old-fashioned melodrama territory, whereupon I started to visualise it as a black and white Barbara Stanwyck movie from the '40s.

There are some beautifully moving scenes, but by the end I couldn't shake the feeling that the whole thing -- the story, the characters, their suffering -- ultimately existed as a vehicle for Emma Thompson to do her thing. In other words, it felt like the film was serving her rather than the other way round. But, you know, there are definitely worse ways to spend 98 minutes than watching ET give a predictably faultless performance.

 
Last edited:

Angela Channing

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
52
Luca (2012)

Luca_poster.jpg


Story of a friendship between 2 sea monsters who become human like when they leave the sea. Echoes of The Little Mermaid at times but no where as good as that film. This did seem like a formulaic Disney-Pixar offering with good verses bad, friends finding each other, falling out and getting back together before one makes a key sacrifice to help the other. It's not a bad film but I couldn't help thinking there wasn't a lot in it that seemed particularly original.
 

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
20
Topper Takes a Trip (1938)
Sequel to the aforementioned Topper.
Roland Young and Constance Bennett return; Cary Grant does not, but he does get a special credit for "consenting" to the use of flashback footage from the first film. I wonder how much say he really had about it.
Another interesting casting note: Billie Burke appears in both films as Mrs. Topper, this one just the year before she played the Good Witch in The Wizard of Oz.
Her name here is Clara but for some reason the name was changed to Henrietta in the TV series.
 

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
20
Funny Face (1957)
Musical with Fred Astaire as photographer named - believe it or not - Dick Avery who falls in love with his model, Audrey Hepburn.
Yes, it's yet another variation on Pygmalion, but Astaire did it better in Easter Parade in 1948, and Hepburn is still seven years away from playing the original Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady.
Perhaps the most interesting thing about it is the fact that Hepburn does her own singing - in My Fair Lady she was dubbed by the not-well-enough-known Marni Nixon.
 

Rove

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
0
 
Awards
5
Logan's Run

Currently for viewing on Netflix

download.jpg

I haven't seen this for many years but was excited when I saw it pop up on Netflix (Australia). It's dated by todays standards but conjures up fond memories when I would sometimes catch this as a Saturday afternoon movie.​
 

Angela Channing

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
52
Black Widow (2021)

MV5BYTUzNDM3YTUtMjQ3My00NjA1LWJiMDEtZWY3Mjc4MDhjYjhjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU3Nzk4MDQ@._V1_.jpg


Superhero films often are memorable for great action set pieces but less so for plot. However, this film actually tells a story and there is a much dialogue as there are fight scenes and chases and it's all the better for it. I really liked it.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
The Silence Of The Lambs (1991)


It's some years since I last watched. It's one of those film that ages like a nice chianti. Chilling, exciting and beautiful, with terrific performance.

Curiously, the version I have (on DVD. I haven't yet got round to investing in the Blu-ray) doesn't have the film title shown on screen, nor are the main actors credited. Instead it starts with credits for the secondary actors. I'm assuming this is an anomaly rather than by design, but I'd love to know more about that.

22b89ef4ddbd6b0f73bb126772222ffa.jpg
 

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
The Silence Of The Lambs (1991)


It's some years since I last watched. It's one of those film that ages like a nice chianti. Chilling, exciting and beautiful, with terrific performance.

Curiously, the version I have (on DVD. I haven't yet got round to investing in the Blu-ray) doesn't have the film title shown on screen, nor are the main actors credited. Instead it starts with credits for the secondary actors. I'm assuming this is an anomaly rather than by design, but I'd love to know more about that.

22b89ef4ddbd6b0f73bb126772222ffa.jpg
My favourite movie. Must look at the credits again. I know every single word uttered in the movie and it's a disgrace that the only name I can remember being featured in the credits is Chris (Blue Ho-hell!) Issacs.
 

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
I watched something called Blood Red Sky. Looked good but I struggled with it. Something about a vampire on an airplane.
 

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
7
Silence of the lambs (1991) is a work of art and it's one of my favorite horror films. the guy wears a person's skin in it that's horror movie. if that's not a horror movie that the Original (1974) Texas Chainsaw Massacre isn't a horror movie. hence Leather face that's what i'm getting at. for those who have never seen the Original Chainsaw film it's got no blood in it it's most really smart directing and camera angles that really make the film scary and good writing too. the dinner scene at the end for example is scary not so much as what's said it's how it was filmed and shot. all the sequels and the remakes as well that are the ones that's got the gore not the Original film
 

Angela Channing

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
52
The Comedy of Terrors (1963)

91fD0n8jDoL._AC_SY445_.jpg


I was a big fan of the Vincent Price horror classics like Theatre of Blood and The Abominable Dr. Phibes which had a lot of humour in them so I thought this film was going to be in a similar vein. I also liked that the title was a clever play on the work Shakespeare. The film has a great cast including Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff, Basil Rathbone and Joe E. Brown but even they can't save this film. The comedy is mostly slapstick which I found tiresome after a while. Overall the film was neither funny or horrifying, just bad.
 
Top