What was the last film you watched?

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
I just watched (or attempted to watch) "Dark Shadows."

My mom used to watch the TV show when I was a kid. I remember quite a bit of it. After and hour of the Johnny Depp version I am sooooo confused.
 

Toni

Maximum Member
LV
11
 
Awards
24
"Wonder Wheel". Good story, great performances, stylish look.

 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Fran (1985)

Fran-film-images-aa773cfb-8649-430b-9dce-63989da3976.jpg


Mainly out of curiosity to see Noni Hazlehurst play someone other than Elizabeth Bligh.

It's fairly grim in places, which is perhaps reinforced by the Eighties production values. Not an easy watch, but a great performance all the same. She's not afraid to go ugly.​
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
McCleod's Daughters (1996 Telefilm)

MV5BMTY3NjQ3MjUyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzQ4Nzg5Mg@@._V1_.jpg


McLeodsDaughters_MovieTitlecard.jpg


The intent was to immediately begin watching the reworked series that came along a few years later, but I feel tired at the thought of 225 episodes.

I'll come back to it when I'm not going to compare it unfavourably harshly with A Place To Call Home.​
 

Toni

Maximum Member
LV
11
 
Awards
24
- "Hotel Artemis". Unexpectedly good. If you like "Altered Carbon" or some other dystopian movie or TV show, this one is for you. A little nice old nurse played by Jodie Foster runs a clinic for criminals in the middle of chaos in L.A. in a near future. Not only for the fans of futuristic films, but also for action buffs in general, Foster´s performance and characterization deserves to be seen. The rest of the cast is equally good with no exception. As usual, the trailer below shows too much of the movie but will give you more reason to watch it (probably).


​
- I also watched a 1987 movie titled "Julia & Julia" starring Kathleen Turner, Gabriel Byrne and Sting (yes, that one...). I was going to post the trailer here but it shows the end so I pass! If you liked (and miss!) "The OA", "Dark" or "Fringe", you'll find this one the most intriguing and mesmerizing. The story begins when Julia (Turner) marries Byrne´s character. Soon after, something happens (or not?) and we see how she adapts to her new life. Until her car must stop right before a tunnel that is being washed, and when she finally crosses the tunnel...well, everything begins. Actually it's a conundrum, and shouldn't be watched expecting a direct answer to the mysteries.

1599944687463.png
I wish the movie itself looked as good as this promo pic!​

The only problem with this movie is that it was filmed on video (in 1987) and then transferred to 35 mm, so it has the image quality of "Dallas" or "Dynasty" in that era: blurry and color-saturated. In this case, it makes sense, and adds to the gothic side of the story. Turner delivers one of her best performances (especially considering she had just had a miscarriage when she started the filming, and some scenes simply had to be very tough for her to play), and the rest does well the little work they are being asked. Not for all tastes, but worthy searching and watching. (Not to be confused with the Meryl Streep-Amy Adams comedy!)
 

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
20
Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return (2013)
Animated movie starring the voice of Lea Michele.
By my count this is the third competing sequel that has been made to The Wizard of Oz. (four if you include the TV special Return to Oz).
No specific complaints but I don't think any of them have improved on Journey Back to Oz (1972) starring the voice of Liza Minnelli.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
I'm slightly embarrassed to admit I willingly watched The Meg last night. Well - it was free on Prime.

meg4.jpg


Disappointingly, it wasn't as terrible as I'd hoped it would be. Not that I'd be in a rush to watch it again, you understand.​
 

Angela Channing

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
52
Bill and Ted Face The Music (2020).

Bill_%26_Ted_Face_the_Music_poster.jpg


I loved the first Bill and Ted film (the second one less so) and this one had strong reviews so I really wanted to like it but it didn't live up to my expectations. They tried to recreate the warmth, comedy and silliness of the original film but Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter are just to old now to pull this off convincingly. It's not a bad film and there are some genuinely funny moments but fans of the original film might be disappointed and people new to the characters may not get what their appeal was in the first place.
 
Last edited:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Knives Out (2019)

maxresdefault.jpg


Good fun, and a very impressive cast. Where else can one find Muriel Heslop, Sonny Crockett, Laurie Strode, Steve Rogers, James Bond, Miss Piggy and Captain Von Trapp under one roof?

A decent plot, though, I suspect, not quite as clever as it thinks it is. A few moments could be seen coming from a safe vantage point. And Daniel Craig's accent was very curious indeed. But a nice way to kill two hours and ten minutes. And the house and its environs were very attractive indeed.​
 

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV
5
 
Awards
11
White House Down

whitehousedown1.jpgwhitehousedown2.jpg
 

hatayas

Telly Talk Active Member
LV
0
 
Ive just finished watching "The King of Staten Island". What a movie! So powerful. The movie made me laugh becase Pete Davidson is funny and I also cried because of the 9/11 reference. I strongly recommend.
 

Toni

Maximum Member
LV
11
 
Awards
24
The movie version of the spy novel "The Little Drummer Girl". I watched the recent miniseries and it was fun to compare both. Diane Keaton is not playing herself (or Annie Hall, for that matter), and gives her best here, deserving the Oscar nomination she didn´t get. The rest of the cast is equally good, but the character played here by crazybat Klaus Kinski is even more impressive in the TV version with Michael Shannon. A truly remarkable story which shows how many shades of grey you can see of such a serious matter as the Israel-Palestinian conflict. Only but: Keaton plays a struggling actress who has to do commercials to survive, but in every scene she is wearing one of those awful outfits of the 80s that Travilla would have loved to design for "Dallas", shoulderpads and all.
 

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
20
Help! (1965)
The Beatles' second film didn't get the critical acclaim that was showered on A Hard Day's Night but it has always been my favourite. I suppose I was just the right age for its fantastical elements to appeal to me more than the pseudo verite of the first film.
John Lennon later said that director Richard Lester's idea was ahead of its time, comparing it to Batman which came out the following year.
 
Top