What was the last film you watched?

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV
6
 
Awards
14
Back Street (1961)
Tonight my friend and I re-watched this Susan Hayward weepy that also stars John Gavin. I guess it was my birthday treat. We were both in the mood for something old and tragic. It didn't disappoint.
 

Spooky Owl!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
8
 
Awards
22
ADAM'S RIB (1949).

Curiously, I had never seen anything more than clips from this movie. It's your standard Tracy-Hepburn battle-of-the-sexes scenario with the pair as married lawyers, and it even features Digger Barnes #1 singing the song "Farewell, Amanda" (by Cole Porter) who gets homophobic jokes tossed in his direction.

Tracy, by the way, is in the right at every point. Hepburn is an entitled cow. How little things have changed. Some see this film as a feministic document, while others feel Kate momentarily seeing the error of her viewpoint as an invalidating tip-of-the-hat to the patriarchy.

Judy Holliday plays the wife betrayed, although I thought for a moment she was Dorothy Comingore.

Cukor directs, and Ruth Gordon and Garson Kanin script, so it's a good watch. I remember being disappointed by the 1973 TV series with Gwyneth Paltrow's mother and Garrett Boydston.

annex-tracy-spencer-adams-rib_02.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Yesterday I watched The Music Lovers (1970), Ken Russell's film of part of Tchaikovsky's life. Wow, just wow! What a great film. I can't find the words that are adequate enough to say how much I loved it.

Richard Chamberlain played Tchaikovsky and I had no idea he was such a good actor. There's a scene near the beginning of the film when he plays Tchaikovsky's piano concerto No. 1, and the physicality and expression that Richard Chamberlain put into how he played the piece was incredible and I was gripped on the film from that moment.

51SwBSVSUfL._SY445_.jpg

It motivated to watch Ken Russell's documentary on Elgar (1962) today and that was very different, more serious and factual, but in its own way another brilliant piece of storytelling.
 

Sea - Boo! - Er

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
21
Tracy, by the way, is in the right at every point. Hepburn is an entitled cow. How little things have changed. Some see this film as a feministic document, while others feel Kate momentarily seeing the error of her viewpoint as an invalidating tip-of-the-hat to the patriarchy.
I haven't seen this in years but, from memory, Tracy's character never disputes the general principle of the equality of the sexes, he just wants to celebrate what he calls "that little difference." Hepburn champions the view that there is no difference apart from the obvious, a view that was the orthodoxy for a while.
 

Sea - Boo! - Er

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
21
Wonder Woman (2017)

I'm not really familiar with Wonder Woman beyond the Lynda Carter TV series so I don't know how faithful all the Greek god stuff is to the original comics but either way I think Xena has co-opted the concept, making this look like something of a knock-off.
 

Spooky Owl!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
8
 
Awards
22
I haven't seen this in years but, from memory, Tracy's character never disputes the general principle of the equality of the sexes, he just wants to celebrate what he calls "that little difference." Hepburn champions the view that there is no difference apart from the obvious, a view that was the orthodoxy for a while.
I just meant his view that shooters should go to prison -- that's he's for equality and she is not.
 

Justine

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV
0
 
Awards
3
Don Juan DeMarco (1995)

81SLbeB2pkL._RI_SX300_.jpg


Since she recently made headlines, I've been prompted to continue my list of Faye Dunaway films and her appearance in this one did not disappoint. Marlon Brando was also really fun to watch. Johnny Depp, not so much.
 

JROG

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
4
I watched SCARFACE for the first time the other day. Loved it.
 

Sea - Boo! - Er

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
21
The Sound of Music

To be honest, I've always preferred the Lerner & Loewe musicals - both for their generally more sophisticated choice of source material and for Alan Jay Lerner's witty lyrics - but Rodgers & Hammerstein's folksier offerings also have their appeal and this one seems to their most enduring.
 

Spooky Owl!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
8
 
Awards
22
The original FATHER OF THE BRIDE (1950) with Spencer Tracy, Elizabeth Taylor and a pre-DS Joan Bennett, directed by Vincent Minelli.

Well-remembered post-war comedy capitalizing on that idyllic domestic dynamic of the era. Tracy is the befuddled father whose gorgeous daughter wants to marry a wealthy heir, with all the expected complications. Bennet is the mom. Even a little Russ Tamblyn is on hand as one of Elizabeth's younger brothers.

Like so many comedies of the time, the humor comes from the situations, and not the jokes (because there are very few). Speaks more to the aspirations of the period, sweet and dishonest as those were, than anything else.

Remade in 1991 with Steve Martin.

Father+of+the+Bride+++Elizabeth+Taylor.jpg

american-actor-and-dancer-rusty-tamblyn-later-billed-as-russ-tamblyn-picture-id1092663080
 

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV
0
 
Awards
5
Boy Erased.jpg
Dark and disturbing, I haven't felt this uncomfortable watching a movie in a very long time. It brought back a lot of painful memories for me. Despite this (or maybe because of this) I strongly recommend it.
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
"The Abduction" with Victoria Principal. I think it was the third time I saw it. :)
 

Spooky Owl!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
8
 
Awards
22
The Long, Long Trailer (1954) when Desi and Lucy were at the height of their I LOVE LUCY fame, directed by Vincent Minelli.

It's the most on-target-though-sanitized cinema '50s time capsule since REAR WINDOW, released the same year.

The-Long-Long-Trailer-22.jpg

The+Long,+Long+Trailer+1953+6.jpg
 
Top