What was the last film you watched?

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
20
Fear the Night (2023)
The "Moments of Truth" episode of Knots Landing meets Die Hard.
A group of women go out to an isolated farmhouse for a bachelorette party (as one does) where they are confronted by a pack of armed attackers. Fortunately, ex-marine and erstwhile Nikita Maggie Q is among their number.
 

Toni

Maximum Member
LV
11
 
Awards
24
Here is my tribute watch of a David Lynch movie I had never seen ("Eraserhead" is the other one): "Wild at Heart".

Again, another story that seems to develop in a sort of universe parallel to "Twin Peaks". Cage is an ex-convict who went to jail for killing a man who threatened her girlfriend Laura Dern (quite far from her posher roles of late). Real-life Dern´s mama plays her screen mama, a total lunatic Jessica Lange would have killed to play for: long nails, various wigs, hysterical voice and possessive with her daughter.

1738178460810.png
Does this image reminds you another from "Knots"?
Well, there is more: Dern´s character is called LULA,
which rhymes with SHULA, Val´s birthtown.
Did Lynch watch "Knots"...?

​
The couple hit the road when he is released from prison, and things start to happen. The supporting cast is as inspired as it could be: a very warm-hearted Harry Dean Stanton, a supercreepy Willem Dafoe, a blonde Isabella Rossellini, and, briefly, three "Twin Peaks" alumni: Sheryl Lee (as Glinda, yes that one!!), Sherilyn Fenn and Grace Zabrisky, aka the woman who shot Karen Fairgate and gave birth to Laura Palmer.

It´s Lynch on full mode: bright reds, unexpected gore, mention of UFO´s and The Wizard of Oz, etc. I´d say that this is the one that seemed to me more consistent and entertaining, although my favorite is his least Lynchian "The Elephant Man". A lot of simulated sex and nudity in this, by the way (I was surprised that Isabella didn´t end up nude at one or other scene, but she´s hardly seen in this!). Cage was never more contained and the soundtrack is brilliant, with that amazing "Wicked Game" by Chris Isaak heard in its second hour.

 
Last edited:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV
11
 
Awards
24
This weekend I watched several movies with my best friend, and the first of them was a rewatch...

1738587018024.png​

"Tootsie": A Sydney Pollack film starring Dustin Hoffman, Jessica Lange (in her first Oscar-winning role), Dabney Coleman (who seems to be reprising his "9 to 5" part), Charles Durning, a fantastic Teri Garr, Bill Murray and a beginner Geena Davis, among others. More on these others at the end of the post.

1738586913438.png
Davis debuted in movies as one of the cast
members in the soap, sharing her dressroom
with "Dorothy Michaels".​

One of my favorite all-time comedies, it keeps its fast pacing from beginning to end. The story is about a 40something actor (Hoffman) who can´t make a living and randomly ends up taking a female role in a soap called "General Hospital" (which I´d assume is NOT that GH soap). He hits it big and falls in love with a fellow actress (Lange) in the process, also affecting the lives of a small group of people and changing his view and attitude towards women.

1738586857287.png
"Anyone saw my pearls, dears?"​

This is a pure classic and hasn´t changed in 40 years, or maybe it´s even funnier to watch because of the careers most of its cast eventually had. Is it PC? It succeeds even in that aspect: its subject is not trans people, or crossdressing, or gayness. It´s about survival and the consequences of faking who you are, and who hasn´t lied in their lives? It´s a really pleasant movie to watch. The Dave Grusin score is like a massage for your brain, and Stephen Bishop´s songs are either romantic or funny. The legend says that Hoffman secretly directed it (pulling a Barbra), and Pollack ended up sick of him.

1738587114747.png
You can´t fail with these two...​

And then Jessica. Oh Jessica! This was released the same year than "Frances", and she was nominated for both movies, though the "Tootsie" one was for supporting actress, which she won. It took her over 10 years to win the "big" one for a minor movie called "Blue Sky". Through the years she has become one of the best, most beloved actresses of her generation and the next too, with her many roles for TV, including the 4 seasons of "American Horror Stories" she starred in.

Don´t miss this video, with Jessica looking so shy and sweet!
A time when legends gave Oscars away and actors kissed each
other instead of punching! It´s the end of the world!​

The movie also got nominations for best film, actor, supporting actress (Garr), director, screenplay, cinematography, sound, editing and song. That film season was also remarkable for queerness, with such roles as John Lithgow´s trans character in "The world according to Garp" and the ultra-classic "Victor / Victoria", with all kinds of crossdressing, homosexuality, lesbianism and bisexuality all rolled into one amazing treat of a movie.

1738587525587.png
The funniest scene in a comedy ever.​

And now, guess who I found in a "wink-and-miss" appearance in "Tootsie"?

1738585729443.png

Yesss, it´s HER!!!
The April woman digging for some gold in one party at about 50´of the film!!
I had no idea and it was my friend who recognized her. Congrats Miss Wilson
for appearing in an Oscar-nominated movie!!
​
PS: The movie is so early 80s that you can´t miss the fact that it represents the world of nighttime soaps as much as the daytime soaps, when everybody stopped doing everything to watch their favorite shows, when actors got "killed" if they asked too much money, and when people talked about the plots the next morning. Anecdotically, the Spanish-dubbed version features an homage to "Dallas" in the scene where Murray mentions that Indian Americans are as American as the Barrymores and Danny and Marie Osmond. In Spanish, he says "and Pamela and J.R. from "Dallas" (since nobody knew the Osmonds here). Seriously.
 
Last edited:

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
20
Get Christie Love! (1974 telefilm)
This holds up better than I expected. It's very much of the seventies in style and fashion and, having read Dorothy Uhnak's original novel series a while back, I can say that the film could certainly have benefited from greater use of the character development therein. But the plot based on a the third novel "The Ledger" is still clever and involving.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
A Simple Plan (1998)

iu


This is a completely new one for me. I'd never heard of it until I added it to my watchlist recently. As I began to watch, all I knew of the film was the poster image (sans tagline) and a brief overview from the listing:​
After three friends find a crashed plane in the woods with a dead pilot and millions of dollars, they hatch a plan.​
It was vague enough to allow the film to go in any direction so had potential to surprise, which was enough to lure me in.

The film opens with characters wishing one another "Happy New Year", but it tuned out that these scenes were set in the daytime on New Year's Eve. Is this standard in America, or is it a creative choice for the film? I've never known anyone to say this before the clock strikes midnight, and in Britain this would probably be considered rather inappropriate (and probably very unlucky according to the superstition that drove the tradition in the first place).

What a surprise to see first Danny Elfman's name in the credits, and then Sam Raimi as director. These were the only clues as to when the film was made, because visually it felt simultaneously contemporary and timeless. It looked really nice, particularly the snowy canvas on which it plays out.

Another paradox was that the film was far more eventful than expected whilst also feeling very slow-paced at times. There was a lot of breathing room and there were scenes that felt almost dull, but then it would escalate and build and with the big picture, everything was important.

The performances are all top-notch. Bill Paxton was torn wonderfully. Billy Bob Thornton's character was somewhere between Lenny from Of Mice And Men and Leonardo DiCaprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape, though visually I kept seeing Austin Powers (and he had Jack Duckworth's trademark taped specs). Bridget Fonda's character started out appearing to be the most ethical but money has a way of changing these things. Brent Briscoe had a nice undercurrent of threat to his performance, while Gary Cole was nicely oblique as the FBI agent.

The fact that the charactes live in a small rural community adds to the sense of paranoia. Everyone knows everybody else - and their business - yet homes are remote enough to create a sense of isolation.

The film's themes are most compelling. I'd hoped for a moral dilemma about what to do with the money found, and I got it. There's also the conspiracy element, with closely-tied people sharing a secret, which allows for increasing paranoia. Do they screw over the others before they themselves are screwed, or are they better off keeping everyone on side? A lot of nuance is created around this element and it makes for very taut viewing. Each attempt to cover up the secret involves another moral choice, and it's fascinating to see how much can be justified in these conditions.

Ultimately, the big questions are around the effect of money: whether it will solve all one's problems or create more; whether it will allow people to be free and happy or confine them; whether it will make relationships easier and more loving, or destroy them. And it doesn't shy away from answering them.​
 

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
20
A Dog's Way Home (2019)
This is not another sequel to the two dog movies I also watched recently.
It does share the device of having the dog act as narrator, but it's more like a modern-day version of the original Lassie Come Home, with Littlest Hobo-like vignettes as "Bella" travels cross-country to rejoin the family she has become separated from.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
"Let Him Have It" (1991)

iu


While I've never watched this before, I had previously done some reading up on the case of Derek Bentley, so I had an understanding of the bare bones of this story. Still it was good to finally have the details fleshed out in a very well-made film.

There's a lot to love about this. The period details are wonderful and it looks surprisingly expensive.

The writing is strong, and the story told in a compelling way. I believe these people, from the stern authority of the courts to the cheeky blighters at school (it never occurred to me that kids casually collecting guns and bullets they've found and kept as souvenirs was a "thing" in the wake of WWII, but I take it this is based on fact and, of course, it does make a kind of sense). Most of all, I believe the family at the heart of the story, with each member impeccably cast.

This was the film that gave Christopher Eccleston his first major film role, becoming a significant breakthrough for him. Watching this performance it's easy to see why. Derek Bentley is a challenging role, but he is terrific every step of the way and creates such a strong rapport with the viewer it feels increasingly subjective, which makes the ending even more powerful.

Tom Courtenay's role is equally challenging, as the father who is worried about his son's choices, but who - given the era - isn't demonstrative. It's incredibly moving to see him backing his son to the hilt. He has a number of the film's most quietly effective moments. There's an interaction with the postman at the very end of the film where, drained of emotion, he doesn't say a single word. Some of it is even in a very long shot. But the combination of direction and the actor's body language bring it home. Eileen Atkins is most familiar to me as one of the creators of Upstairs, Downstairs than as an actress. And funnily enough, while I watched this, before I knew who she was, she reminded me of Jean Marsh, star and co-creator of that very series. Again, she gives a lovely performance and shows Lilian to be strong and loving. Claire Holman, too, isn't known to me (even though she felt very familiar) and her loving chemistry with Eccleston, as his sister, is really sweet. The scenes with these as a family feel so truthful and are what make it all work. Their final visit to Derek, as hope is fading, breaks your heart.

The only person I knew was in this ahead of time was Paul Reynolds. I suppose he registered as back when the film came out he was still appearing in Press Gang. I'm on the fence about his performance. He gives good smug, but I found him a little one-note at times (certainly, at least, when compared with the nuanced performance of Eccleston with whom he shared most of his scenes). He did great work with his rooftop meltdown, though, and felt genuinely unpredictable. Since this was a pivotal scene, I have no complaints about him being here.

Outside of that, it's a veritable who's who of familiar British character actors. Few of them are "stars" or "legends", but all are masters of the craft. The magnificent Michael Gough is quite terrifying here as notorious 'hanging judge' Lord Goddard who looks right down the lens and into the viewer's eyes (fortunately, we're spared the sight of him ejaculating, as Goddard was reputed to routinely do whilst passing death sentences). Super Gran's Scunner Campbell plays David Maxwell Fyfe. Brookie's Harry Cross is the Foreman Of The Jury, with Bill Dean, unusually, affecting a London accent. Boon's Michael Elphick has a nice little part as a kindly prison officer who writes letters for Bentley and reassures him that the family is rallying up support. And Norman Rossington - best known to me from early Carry Ons - is the friendly postie, bringing sackfuls of letters from all over the country.

The film's title comes from the most fascinating part of the argument over Bentley's guilt: whether his shouted plea "let him have it, Chris" was a request for his acquanitance to hand over the gun, as the officer had requested immediately before, or an instruction to open fire, as his acquaintance did moments after. And so his guilty or innocent verdict hinged on semantics, and how those words are interpreted by the jury, without having heard their intonation.

When watching, I was too absorbed in the characters and the tragic story to think ahead. Even though I knew it was coming, the outcome still felt shocking and almost surprising, in large part because I was seeing it unfold through the characters' eyes.

While there is, of course, an underlying statement about capital punishment, it never feels that there's any kind of agenda.Rather, the film trusts the viewer to understand the implications and, perhaps, to do a little reading up on the case and its part in changing hearts and minds. I've done just that, and the more I read, the more tragic it becomes. Something that struck me as cruel was that, despite his family's lifelong campaign for justice, Bentley wasn't pardoned until one year after his sister had died, and many years after his parents' deaths.​
 

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
Gladiator II (2024)

1739239670139.png

I really liked the original Gladiator when I saw it in the early 2000s (it may have been a VHS rental, before everything changed to DVD) but on a recent rewatch I was put off by the emotionally-manipulative schmaltz and the simplistic black-and-white situation.
But I know there are a lot of people who (still) love it, and it's not unusual to feel protective of our favourite films or music especially when it comes to sequels and remakes.
Because I don't belong to that Gladiator fanclub, watching this sequel should give me the advantage to enjoy it for what it is rather than hating it for what it isn't i.e. the original.
And yet the reason I watched it is because I wanted to see for myself just how bad it really is - a morbid curiosity, as it were.

Gladiator didn't need a sequel in 2002 or 2005, but this one actually follows the story's timeline in real time, 25 years later, which, at least, makes it a little bit more deserving of getting a sequel. Furthermore, it's a continuation that actually makes sense because it's about Lucilla's song Lucius, a character that exists in the original rather than a new one haphazardly retconned into the story.
Gladiator certainly didn't need the remake that Russell Crowe himself wanted: the return of Maximus. So much for "respecting" the original.

So anyway, while I was watching this sequel I wondered when the bad stuff (that what makes so many people hate this film) would start to happen, because all I saw was a gloriously over-the-top and eye-popping Ancient Rome spectacle for the modern ages.
1739239804062.png
Monster-monkeys, rhinos....sharks!! I seriously wish Ridley Scott had had the audacity to combine it with the Mount Vesuvius disaster...and why stop there? Bring on the UFO!

I also don't understand how this film can be seen as a rehash of the original because it's much more a Rome story than a one man's journey.
Characters including Lucius himself are far more political driven which gives the film an epic feel that's different from the first one, although I admit that it lacks the emotional punch of the original (albeit too emotional for my taste).
At the same time I appreciate that it pays some homage to the original without milking it for all it's worth. It was exactly enough to make the connection work.

It's funny that another renowned filmmaker brought Rome to New York in 2024 while Gladiator II brings New York to Rome especially in the character played by Denzel Washington, a fabulous, cape-flapping Disney villain.
His vision that ancestry is irrelevant and that everyone can make it to the top seems very much like the archetypal Nouveau Rich American attitude (or at least the way it used to be).
In essence, I support that vision, but it all depends on what we're willing to sacrifice and also how much of that success we like to share with other people.

Oh, and there's even funny "graffiti" on the walls.
This, and The Apprentice, are now my favourite films of 2024, but I hope there will be more. I've already decided to support Nosferatu because I saw an interview between Robert Eggers and Willem Dafoe and it's super-cool.

Apparently, the nudity warning now also applies to bare arms.
 

Angela Channing

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
52
This, and The Apprentice, are now my favourite films of 2024, but I hope there will be more. I've already decided to support Nosferatu because I saw an interview between Robert Eggers and Willem Dafoe and it's super-cool.
I'll be interested to read what you think of Nosferatu because I didn't like it as much as I hoped I would.

I think my favourite film of 2024 would probably be Anora.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Mack & Rita (2022)

iu


Since I hadn't heard of this film until a few minutes before watching, there was very little expectation, other than that coming from seeing Diane Keaton on the poster, plus getting the sense from a line or two of the synopsis that this was a body switch comedy.

The plot is familiar... younger person wishes to be older. Magic happens. Wish is granted. Since this one involves two adults - a thirty year old woman becoming a seventy year old - it's not so much Big as Old.

This genre is invariably entertaining, but this mustn't be taken for granted. Sadly, I feel it was here. There's no real emotional stake here. The only jeopardy is based around very surface material things ("Oh no. I'm going to miss my best friend's wedding rehearsal"; "Does the man who lives in my apartment block like me?"; blah blah blah).

In terms of filming, I'm not sure which came first: Keaton's performance or that of the actress playing younger Keaton. Sadly, they're both quite annoying, and shrill with lots of squeaking excitedly or screaming with confusion/anger/frustration. Elizabeth Lail is more consistently annoying. Sadly, it's difficult to believe for a second that she's either an old soul or a fish out of water. A pair of glasses and affection for her dead grandmother doesn't not an interesting person make. She's just another blandly generic thirty year old woman trying rather too hard to be funny. Everything about her performance screams that she's "doing" comedy, as though she's imitating someone she grew up finding funny (ironically, this misfire truly makes her the square peg in the round hole the story tells us she is, but for all the wrong reasons). All of which would be forgivable, if she resembled a thirty year old Diana Keaton. Which she doesn't.

Then when Keaton arrives there's a whole lot of screaming and neurotic panic. Her performance feels wildly over the top, but not in a good way (for most of her early scenes, I found myself seeing Phoebe from Friends due to her using the same inflections and delivery). She does gradually tone down as the story (such as it is) goes along. She's a great actress, given thankless material here (perhaps enabled by herself since she's also a producer on this film).

Good actress, thankless material is actually the order of the day all round. Loretta Devine, Lois Smith and Wendie Malick are among the familiar faces who do nice work against the odds.

I'm not quite sure what the film's ultimate message is, beyond a rather vapid and obvious "you must be comfortable in your own skin".

Perhaps I'm just the wrong audience for this film and don't get it. Certainly, it's gynocentric. The only male characters are there to serve or screw up: the charlatan guru responsible for the body switch; the fawning groupie who works for the company and is the reason the lead character misses an important date; and the dog-sitting neighbour who is manipulated into loving the younger version once her older self has gleaned enough information about him to use (worse, we know she has "won" her prize at the end because of the possessive kiss she gives him before the assembled audience). So there you go. A romantic comedy that - unless one is of a certain type - is neither funny nor romantic.​
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Monster-monkeys, rhinos....sharks!!

Oh, this did make me laugh. And then intrigued me enough to go and look this up.

Apparently the Romans did display rhinos and apes at the Colosseum but they never went up against soldiers. And the rhinos were the one-horned Asian variety rather than than two-horned indian rhino featured in the film.

The water battles did happen, but the boats didn't move at speed, and it's highly unlikely there were any sharks, which would have needed to be imported by water transport. Plus the Romans didn't even differentiate between sharks and other fish.

Also, there were neither cafes nor newspapers at the time.

It looks like a load of balls. And, having just watched a film made entirely by, for and about women, that sounds most refreshing.

iu



why stop there? Bring on the UFO!

Here you go:
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Don't Look Back (2020)
A.K.A. Good Samaritan

iu


Usually I don't look up any information ahead of time, but I somehow ended up doing a quick search to get a sense of this one when I was narrowing down my choices. I'd read there was some Final Destination connection, and scrolled past many scathing reviews that said it was an el cheapo Final Destination knockoff in order to find out about the title as there seemed to be two.

Perhaps most weirdly of all, I saw Josh Bowman's name in the credits. Then as I watched the film I found myself thinking he hadn't changed that much since Revenge, and still had some of the same mannerisms. During the end credits, I tut-tutted that they'd got the character and actor credits in the wrong order for him. Only afterwards did I realise that, in actual fact, the character was named Josh Bowman, and was played by one Skyler Hart. I think I've just about caught up now.

As to the film itself, I enjoyed it. Yes, expectations were low, but even so I thought it was fine. It's written by Jeffrey Reddick who wrote and created Final Destination, and the similarities are there to be seen. Once again, a group of people is present when Something Horrible happens. Once again, they later begin to die, one by one. Once again, it's all about signs, omens and portents, and our protagonist begins to display something akin to precognition, putting herself at the scene of every death and making herself look sketchy in the process. Once again, authorities are dismissive, and the group begins to come together to try and beat the odds.

The familiar elements don't make this a bad story. Frankly, I'd probably rather watch this film than a number of the Final Destination sequels and scenes. Don't Look Back shifts the focus from prolonged death tableaus back to the characters' fears. The gore and kill porn is toned down, meaning the story has fewer places to hide. It might not be a great, clever or even original story, but there has been far thinner in the FD franchise.

The production values do occasionally let the film down. It's not a bad-looking film, but neither does it feel like an epic. This adds a degree of intimacy, which is a good thing, but the direction also lets it down at times - this was Reddick's directorial debut and, perhaps understandably, remains the only film he has directed - and there are schlocky jump scares in place of true suspense.

Where this film really has it is the casting and performances. In particular lead actress Kourtney Bell is terrific, which gives the film its substance. All the other characters are utilised well enough that all of them work. Unusually for me with a film in this genre, there aren't any performances that grate or irritate. Only on one occasion does an actor do that Chad Michael Murray thing of saying a sentence, waiting a beat and then saying the character's name like an afterthought (it's in the trailer). But then his character is beaten to death a few moments later so it never becomes problematic.

That death is the film's Something Horrible, and I found the idea of Evil Triumphing Because Good Men Do Nothing a fascinating concept for the film to centre around. Sadly, today, all too many people respond to an emergency or horror not by offering aid or summoning help, but by taking out their phones to film it. Watching this, I found myself wondering what I would do in a situation like this. Certainly, it takes a lot of bravery (some would even say stupidity) to intervene today. And then there's the trauma response of being immobile with horror. This is what we see in the film's protagonist, Caitlin, due to her being traumatised by a beating she herself received just months earlier (where she witnessed her own father's death. Even by Final Girl standards, this poor young woman has been through it).

When the film focusses on Caitlin's guilt and recovery and trying to reconcile things, it's great. And I can't say the mystery element was entirely predictable because I hadn't correctly guessed whodunnit (even though they were a fairly obvious choice, one of the red herrings just seemed far more suspicious to me, and I bought into that).

I can see why someone expecting Final Destination would find this dull or poor, so it's a shame that pushing this connection invites unfavourable comparisons. There's very little of the graphic stuff that one would expect in this kind of film. For my money, I think it would be improved with less attempted horror than what we got. Remove the cheap jump scares with visions of zombified bodies appearing next to people, brush up the anti-climactic ending and this is actually a decent and atmospheric little thriller.​
 

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
20
Behind the Candelabra (2013)
Not so much a Liberace biopic as an account of the experience of his younger lover Scott Thorson, based on his book.
Michael Douglas's performance as "Lee" has been much lauded, but the Liberace mannerisms are so well known that it came across to me as dangerously close to caricature.
In hindsight its hard to fathom why he Liberace was so popular with women since he was never the picture of masculinity.
And I couldn't stop thinking of Chandell in Batman.
 

Toni

Maximum Member
LV
11
 
Awards
24
"Mermaids" with Cher. A perfect complement to "Tootsie", another feelgood dramedy with the diva surrounded by a young Winona Ryder and a still younger, debuting Christina Ricci. The movie leaves you with the same impression as the video for the famous song included in it... Bob Hoskins is quite good here, too.

 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Guess Who's Coming To Dinner? (1967)

iu


For a film that, by its nature, is intended to be forward-thinking, it seems appropriate that this should be a film of firsts for me. This marks not just my first, long-overdue, viewing of the film, but also I believe is the first vehicle in which I've seen most of the actors, including Spencer Tracy and Sidney Poitier. Technically I've watched Katharine Hepburn before as I viewed Suddenly, Last Summer many years ago (not that I remember it at all). In short, this one ticked a lot of things off my viewing bucket list.

While I knew the premise of this film, I had no idea where it would go, or what tone it would take. I felt strangely comforted by the breezy opening credits, accompanied by The Glory Of Love, and even more so upon seeing Stanley Kramer's name. The latter turned out to be a wrong association on my part: I'd confused his names with Stanley Ralph Ross and Doug Cramer, and so thought of numerous television vehicles watched throughout the Seventies and Eighties (from Columbo to Wonder Woman and Dynasty). Turns out that tonally I wasn't actually that far off base, since this was as charming and accessible as some of these shows were at times.

The performances are all marvellous. Katharine Hepburn's eyes seemed to be almost permanently glistening, intermittently breaking out into gorgeous photogenic tears. But her tough side, too, was able to come through in the fantastic scene where she smilingly dismissed her pushy and snobby assistant with lengthy and very clear directions for getting lost. Sidney Poitier was dashing and diplomatic and likeable, while being simultaneously strong and unapologetic. Hepburn's niece and namesake, Katharine Houghton is disarmingly bright-eyed, optimistic and forthright, giving her common ground with Cecil Kellaway's bumbling cleric. Roy Glenn and Beah Richards are both perfect as Poitier's character's parents, with Beah in particular giving a performance that's as understated as it is strong. It feels she says comparatively little, but every word she says has depth. Spencer Tracy stole the entire show with a lengthy monologue at film's end which was the icing on the cake after his various little vacillations between laid back acceptance and occasional outbursts throughout.

Special mention goes to Isabel Sanford for her character's no-frills (and usually unsolicited) observations throughout. There's a great scene where she marches up to an amused, shirtless Poitier and reads him the riot act for getting above his station. It's notable for the film's sole use of the N-bomb, which is diffused on the spot by coming in the middle of a diatribe (I wasn't even sure at first if I'd heard what I heard) and for the undercurrent of humour to the scene. What I loved about this scene was the direction, which held one shot, but went into a Dutch angle as she got into his face. As soon as she'd said her bit again, it immediately returned to horizontal, leaving the viewer feeling as amused, shocked and disorientated as Poitier's character.

There are lots of terrific little moments throughout that feel like ad-libs or throwaway background stuff, but that make this film so wonderful. The whole scene with Tracy's character fussing over ice cream flavours, for instance. My favourite little moment in the entire film was when Spencer grabbed a tie from a rail and, moments after he'd walked away, the entire row of ties began sliding to the floor, one by one, in the background.

The dialogue is all wonderful. It's full of quips and sideways observations and unexpected responses.

While it's a film of its time (which would be a good enough reason to watch anyway), there's also something timelessly universal about its messages. It's interesting that the girl in particular seems on some level to enjoy shocking people with the dramatic reveals (something that's highlighted by her husband-to-be in dialogue) while at the same time being horrified by those shocked reactions. Notwithstanding the race and age divisions, of course anyone would be very surprised by someone returning home with a fiancé she'd met only days before and whom she plans to marry within a couple of weeks, emigrating into the bargain. And, by the way, they need the parents' approval within a couple of hours of dropping it on them. All of which creates the perfect storm of conflict... because who wouldn't have reservations in those circumstances. It's all quite frothy and soapy.

Ultimately, it's a sweet little film that, in the best kind of way, feels very much like watching a stage play. I'd definitely be up for a rewatch.​
 

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
8
 
Awards
21
Guess Who's Coming To Dinner? (1967)

iu


For a film that, by its nature, is intended to be forward-thinking, it seems appropriate that this should be a film of firsts for me. This marks not just my first, long-overdue, viewing of the film, but also I believe is the first vehicle in which I've seen most of the actors, including Spencer Tracy and Sidney Poitier. Technically I've watched Katharine Hepburn before as I viewed Suddenly, Last Summer many years ago (not that I remember it at all). In short, this one ticked a lot of things off my viewing bucket list.

While I knew the premise of this film, I had no idea where it would go, or what tone it would take. I felt strangely comforted by the breezy opening credits, accompanied by The Glory Of Love, and even more so upon seeing Stanley Kramer's name. The latter turned out to be a wrong association on my part: I'd confused his names with Stanley Ralph Ross and Doug Cramer, and so thought of numerous television vehicles watched throughout the Seventies and Eighties (from Columbo to Wonder Woman and Dynasty). Turns out that tonally I wasn't actually that far off base, since this was as charming and accessible as some of these shows were at times.

The performances are all marvellous. Katharine Hepburn's eyes seemed to be almost permanently glistening, intermittently breaking out into gorgeous photogenic tears. But her tough side, too, was able to come through in the fantastic scene where she smilingly dismissed her pushy and snobby assistant with lengthy and very clear directions for getting lost. Sidney Poitier was dashing and diplomatic and likeable, while being simultaneously strong and unapologetic. Hepburn's niece and namesake, Katharine Houghton is disarmingly bright-eyed, optimistic and forthright, giving her common ground with Cecil Kellaway's bumbling cleric. Roy Glenn and Beah Richards are both perfect as Poitier's character's parents, with Beah in particular giving a performance that's as understated as it is strong. It feels she says comparatively little, but every word she says has depth. Spencer Tracy stole the entire show with a lengthy monologue at film's end which was the icing on the cake after his various little vacillations between laid back acceptance and occasional outbursts throughout.

Special mention goes to Isabel Sanford for her character's no-frills (and usually unsolicited) observations throughout. There's a great scene where she marches up to an amused, shirtless Poitier and reads him the riot act for getting above his station. It's notable for the film's sole use of the N-bomb, which is diffused on the spot by coming in the middle of a diatribe (I wasn't even sure at first if I'd heard what I heard) and for the undercurrent of humour to the scene. What I loved about this scene was the direction, which held one shot, but went into a Dutch angle as she got into his face. As soon as she'd said her bit again, it immediately returned to horizontal, leaving the viewer feeling as amused, shocked and disorientated as Poitier's character.

There are lots of terrific little moments throughout that feel like ad-libs or throwaway background stuff, but that make this film so wonderful. The whole scene with Tracy's character fussing over ice cream flavours, for instance. My favourite little moment in the entire film was when Spencer grabbed a tie from a rail and, moments after he'd walked away, the entire row of ties began sliding to the floor, one by one, in the background.

The dialogue is all wonderful. It's full of quips and sideways observations and unexpected responses.

While it's a film of its time (which would be a good enough reason to watch anyway), there's also something timelessly universal about its messages. It's interesting that the girl in particular seems on some level to enjoy shocking people with the dramatic reveals (something that's highlighted by her husband-to-be the dialogue) while at the same time being horrified by those shocked reactions. Notwithstanding the race and age divisions, of course anyone would be very surprised by someone returning home with a fiancé she'd met only days before and whom she plans to marry within a couple of weeks, emigrating into the bargain. And, by the way, they need the parents' approval within a couple of hours of dropping it on them. All of which works perfectly to create the perfect storm of conflict... because who wouldn't have reservations in those circumstances. It's all quite frothy and soapy.

Ultimately, it's a sweet little film that, in the best kind of way, feels very much like watching a stage play. I'd definitely be up for a rewatch.​

Oh, please don't confuse Stanley Kramer with Doug Cramer!

GWCTD was, obviously, very controversial back in 1967 -- some audiences were angry Kramer's film was "too safe" (which was on purpose) and many were angry that he made it all, given the subject matter (still then off-the-charts for some).

Some also feel the nepotistic casting of Houghton as Potier's fiancée is a bit 'off' and want a different actress.

Tracy died two weeks after delivering his finale speech, and Hepburn claimed she never saw the final film ("Can't watch it!")... She got her second Oscar (the first in ~35 years) for GWCTD, winning her third the very next year for LION IN WINTER, arguably her most deserved (and tying with Streisand), her fourth for that cabin-on-the-lake movie with the Fondas.

The ambiance to the film is classic late-60s cinema of the nostalgically sanitized kind (Kate walking onto the terrace and making almost-weepy at the sunset could only come off that effectively during that era). Sometimes I'll watch GWCTD on a double bill with the original NIGHT OF THE LIING DEAD for purposes of balance (and almost always on a Sunday night, for some weird reason).

Cecil Kellaway's inability to warble The Beatles -- or at least stay in tune -- is sweet.

And how about the moves on that groovy delivery boy?

 
Last edited:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Oh, please don't confuse Stanley Kramer with Doug Cramer!

I'd seen DC's name mentioned elsewhere this week, in less than flattering terms, so I had a feeling this might be a bit controversial to admit.



some audiences were angry Kramer's film was "too safe" (which was on purpose)

I can understand that, but I really like that it took a softer approach. Its gentle accessibility gives it a far wider audience for its message, many of whom would probably have avoided it if it were too heavy.




Some also feel the nepotistic casting of Houghton as Potier's fiancée is a bit 'off' and want a different actress.

My guess is that if I'd known about the relationship before watching I'd have found it off-putting. As it was I had no idea and, taking it on face value, I liked her and thought the chemistry was good.




Tracy died two weeks after delivering his finale speech,

Yes, I read this afterwards and it wowed me. Knowing this makes his speech even more impressive, and what a strong end to a long career.




Hepburn claimed she never saw the final film ("Can't watch it!")

Interesting. Did she ever expand on her reasons? Was it all due to Spencer's death, I wonder?




The ambiance to the film is classic late-60s cinema of the nostalgically sanitized kind (Kate walking onto the terrace and making almost-weepy at the sunset could only come off that effectively during that era).

I loved how pristine everything was. There were times where I couldn't tell if the view from that terrace was fake or just so picture perfect it looked a little unreal. And I like that I didn't quite know either way.




And how about the moves on that groovy delivery boy?

Oh, he was cute.
 

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
8
 
Awards
21
I'd seen DC's name mentioned elsewhere this week, in less than flattering terms, so I had a feeling this might be a bit controversial to admit.

He's a monster, that Cramer!

I can understand that, but I really like that it took a softer approach. Its gentle accessibility gives it a far wider audience for its message, many of whom would probably have avoided it if it were too heavy.

Yes, that was why Kramer did it that way -- to appeal to a mainstream audience for whom the basic subject matter was stunning.

If you only preach to the choir, only the choir hears you. I guess.

Interesting. Did she ever expand on her reasons? Was it all due to Spencer's death, I wonder?

It was his death. When she wound up on the set of LION IN WINTER months later, director Anthony Harvey described Kate as "very fragile" (not in keeping with her image).

I loved how pristine everything was. There were times where I couldn't tell if the view from that terrace was fake or just so picture perfect it looked a little unreal. And I like that I didn't quite know either way.

After the deeply funereal first half of the decade, the last-half took on a different kind of bigness which is sort of hard to explain (even when the film in question is squeaky-clean in its approach). A sense that history had turned.

Lame description, but that's all I've got at the moment.

But everybody feels it.

Oh, he was cute.

And so was she. But he had the jaw line.

Surely Kramer knew this attempt to be "mod" was ridiculous. But mesmerizing.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Yes, that was why Kramer did it that way -- to appeal to a mainstream audience for whom the basic subject matter was stunning.

If you only preach to the choir, only the choir hears you. I guess.

Exactly.

(Though I'd guess there were some people who would have avoided the film because of its premise, no matter what the tone).




It was his death. When she wound up on the set of LION IN WINTER months later, director Anthony Harvey described Kate as "very fragile" (not in keeping with her image).

Thanks for the clarification. It must have tinged the film's success. Out of interest, I watched her Academy Award win for the film and she wasn't present. George Cukor accepted on her behalf.




ridiculous. But mesmerizing.

Oh, this needs to be on a T-shirt.
 
Top