- Awards
- 6
I have no ownership of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.
***
This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?
***
What If
Part One
Sue Ellen sat on the edge of her bed and stared blankly at the suitcases stacked neatly in front of her bedroom door. She'd made sure Teresa had all of her belongings packed and ready to go; she'd known she would need to make a quick escape from Southfork before JR got home. He would be dangerously furious about how she had betrayed him…
Except, she hadn't betrayed him. Oh, she had every intention of humiliating him in public and destroying his dream of being head of one of the biggest oil companies in the world. She had plotted and schemed for weeks; with Wendell, with Nicholas, with that silly slut Kimberly Cryder. But when push came to shove, she just couldn't go through with it. The look on JR's face when he had realized what was happening stopped her dead in her tracks - the confusion, the fear, the white hot anger - that she could have dealt with. What she couldn't deal with, what she didn't expect to see in his eyes was the hurt. The wide-eyed, raw pain. The stunned disbelief of her callousness. In that moment, so many things ran through her mind in a flash. She thought about how JR would never forgive her, how he would hate her forever. She thought about John Ross and what kind of life the hate would make for him. She thought of the guilt that would crush her soul once the sweet joy of her revenge wore off. She had a sudden epiphany that revenge wasn't worth the total destruction of her son's life. JR had hurt her, DESTROYED her so many times, never sparing one thought to how it would affect John Ross. But she wasn't JR. Hard as she tried, she just could never be quite as cold and calculating as him.
Of course , Nicholas would disagree with her about that. Her plan had been to destroy JR, leave South Fork in triumph, and move in with Nicholas. There was no chance of her living with him now. She had gone straight from the Weststar meeting to see him...to explain what happened. He didn't want to hear her out though. He accused her of using him to help JR. He believed she had planned to vote her shares to put JR on top from the beginning in order to win him back. She had tried to explain, but Nicholas had angrily ordered her out of his home and out of his life.
"And I don't blame him," she whispered, raising her hand to wipe the solitary tear that had fallen from her eye onto her cheek. "I don't blame him one bit."
She rose from the bed and walked to the door, picking up her suitcases and taking one last look around her room. She wondered how long it would take for JR to realize she was gone. "At least a day or two," she muttered to herself. "He'll be out celebrating his victory with one of his whores and probably won't even bother to come home tonight."
***
JR lifted his hand to get Cassie's attention. She smiled and nodded and went off to the bar to get him another drink. JR pushed his now empty glass away from him and stared straight ahead, not really seeing anything.
Why had she done it? He asked himself the same question he had been asking over and over for the last few hours. Why had Sue Ellen saved his ass?
Oh, he knew everyone in that room - Kimberly, Wendell, all the board members - thought he and Sue Ellen had planned the whole sordid plot together from the beginning. The two of them are the only two people in Dallas who would ever know the truth; JR Ewing's wife held the power to destroy him in the palm of her soft, delicate hand. Instead, she handed him everything he had ever wanted on a silver platter. What JR couldn't figure out for the life of him is why. Why would she help him when she had clearly put so much time and effort into a plot to bring him down once and for all?
JR forced himself to grant Cassie a small smile as she put his drink on the table in front of him and took the empty glass away. He lifted the bourbon to his lips and muttered under his breath, "What the hell are you up to, Miss Texas?"
"JR, I'm surprised to see you slumming at the Cattleman's club with us regular oilmen!"
The shrill sound of the voice JR hated to hear most in the world almost made him choke on his drink. "What the hell do you want, Barnes?" he growled.
"Now, JR," Cliff chuckled, "I just came over to congratulate you on your Weststar coup."
JR said nothing for a moment, studying Cliff's face. Strangely, for once, he saw no malice there. "Word travels fast, I see," JR finally responded.
"Bad news always does," Cliff sighed. "I mean it's good news for you. Bad for the rest of us though."
JR said nothing, he simply sat back in his chair and took another drink of his bourbon.
"Anyway," Cliff shrugged, "surprised to see you here alone. I figured you and that pretty wife of yours would be out celebrating how the two of you managed to bring the entire Texas oil industry to its knees."
JR finished his drink in one long gulp, slammed the glass down on the table, and stood up abruptly. "MY WIFE," he harshly emphasized those two words, "and I prefer to do our celebrating in private."
Cliff stood looking stunned for a few moments, watching JR stomp off in a huff. "Huh," he muttered to himself, "seems to be in a pretty foul mood for someone who just got everything in the world he ever wanted."
***
Bobby carefully placed his empty glass on the mantle and steeled his nerves against the scene that was coming. Miss Ellie and Clayton had gone to dinner in town. Lucy had taken Christopher and John Ross to a movie. Even Teresa and Raoul had taken the night off. Everyone in the Ewing household had made themselves scarce tonight, leaving it to him to deal with JR.
Moments earlier, JR had stormed through the front door and gone tearing up the stairs. Bobby started slowly counting down from ten, knowing it wouldn't take his brother very long to realize Sue Ellen's room was empty and come barreling down to the living room demanding answers.
Right on cue, JR came stomping down the stairs and into the living room, glaring angrily at his brother. "Where the hell is my wife?"
Bobby took a deep breath, picked up his empty glass, and moved to the bar to fix himself another drink. "Want one, JR?"
"Where is she, Bob?" JR demanded.
Bobby sighed heavily, "What makes you think I know?" he asked, handing JR his drink.
JR took the glass from his brother's hands and narrowed his eyes. "Her room is empty, but I checked John Ross's room. All his things are still there. She wouldn't leave her boy here and not tell anyone where she was going."
"No, she wouldn't," Bobby agreed.
"Tell me where she is dammit!"
"She doesn't want you to know, JR," Bobby's voice was quiet. Almost a whisper.
JR drained his drink and slid down into a wide leather chair. For a moment, he allowed himself to remember all the times he and Sue Ellen had shared that chair, her sitting daintily on the arm while he rested his hand on the curve of her hip. "No, I don't guess she does," he finally said.
"JR," Bobby moved to sit across from JR on the couch, "what happened? We all heard you and Sue Ellen took over Weststar today. We all thought we'd be having a big celebration. But then Sue Ellen came down with her bags packed and told us she was leaving you. It makes no sense."
"No, it doesn't," JR agreed."Listen, Bob, I have no idea what happened. I didn't expect for Sue Ellen to be at that meeting. I had no idea she had been buying up Weststar stock. Once I figured it out, I thought she...well, I thought she was going to gut me. Instead, she voted with me and gave me control of the company. Then she ran out of there so fast…"
Bobby was quiet. He leaned back into the couch and quietly considered what JR had told him. "You had no idea what she was planning?" he finally asked.
"None," JR admitted. "You know, Bob, that woman.. I guess I don't ever give her enough credit, do I?"
"Not by a long shot, JR," Bobby sighed. "Listen, Sue Ellen made me promise specifically not to tell you where she was going," Bobby stood, placed his empty glass on the bar, and turned to leave the room. "But…" he said, his back still to his brother, "if you should happen to look in Mama's address book by the phone in the foyer and find out for yourself, I guess there's nothing I can do about that."
JR stood slowly, "Thank you, Bobby," he said softly.
Bobby took a deep breath. "You're welcome, JR. I don't know what's going on between you and Sue Ellen. It's really none of my business. And I am sure that whatever reason she had for not wanting you to find her, you deserve it. But...I, of all men, know what pure hell it is not knowing where to find the woman you love."
JR watched his brother walk up the staircase until he turned the corner out of sight. "Yes," he breathed to himself, "I know you do, little brother."
***
Sue Ellen was lost. She turned on the TV and flipped through the channels, hoping desperately to find something to take her mind off her current situation.
"First night on your own," she muttered, turning the TV back off, "and already lonely and bored out of your mind."
She stood up and walked towards the bathroom, thinking maybe a hot bath would relax her enough to get some rest "Tomorrow will be soon enough to figure out where I will spend the rest of my life."
She was standing at the bathroom door when a sudden, loud pounding shattered the silence. "Open this door right now, Sue Ellen!"
Sue Ellen was startled by the surprise, the dread, and...yes...the thrill of hearing JR's voice yelling at her from the hotel hallway.
"Sue Ellen! Let me in right now or I swear I'll make such a scene, neither one of us will ever be able to show our faces in Dallas again!"
Sue Ellen stalked over to the door and snatched it open with an angry jerk, "How did you find me, JR?" she hissed.
"Don't be stupid, darlin' you know I can find anyone anytime I want to," he growled pushing past her into the room.
Sue Ellen took a deep steadying breath, shut the door, and slowly turned to face him. "What do you want."
"I want," JR replied icily, "to know why you did what you did today. You obviously intended to destroy me then leave me. Why only go through with part of your devious scheme?"
"How do you know I ever intended to hurt you, JR? And...as far as leaving you, maybe I just decided to give you what you have been demanding from me for months now."
"I know you intended to hurt me because I know you better than anyone else alive"
"Maybe not, JR," Sue Ellen challenged him. "I certainly managed to surprise you today."
JR laughed at the truth of her words in spite of himself. "Yes, you did " he agreed. He took off his hat and ran his hand through his hair. "Aren't you going to offer me a drink?"
"I can't," Sue Ellen answered, dropping her eyes to the floor, "I had the minibar removed," she admitted. "I didn't think it was a good idea…"
Her words stopped him cold. Was she worried she would start drinking again? Why? Yes, she had flushed her carefully laid plans for revenge down the toilet, but she had done it with grace and dignity. The story of her brilliance was all over the city by now. They were going to be the ultimate power couple in Dallas. Why on earth would she leave him now? And why would she be tempted to drink again?
Suddenly, out of nowhere, the truth hit JR like a ton of bricks. He knew this woman. He knew there was only one thing in the world that made her hurt and weak enough to drink...him; and he suddenly knew beyond any shadow of a doubt why she had changed her mind about hurting him at the last minute. The realization of what he had done to her and their family crashed down all around him.
JR moved carefully, not wanting to alarm her. He closed the distance between them and gently cupped her chin with his hand, tilting her head up so her eyes met his. He studied her face carefully. Her eyes were puffy and red. Clearly she had been crying. Her bottom lip was slightly swollen. He realized she had been chewing on it, a habit that always manifested when she was severely upset. "Get your things, darlin'," he softly ordered. "You're going home."
"No I'm not," she jerked away from him and stiffened her spine. "Our marriage is over, JR."
"I know," he hated the words as soon as he spoke them. "But John Ross is at Southfork. He needs his mother."
"I won't sleep under the same roof as you for one more night," she spat out angrily.
"I know," he agreed again. "You stay at Southfork with John Ross until you find a more permanent solution. I'll stay at one of the condominiums."
"Why?" Sue Ellen demanded. "Why are you being so calm and reasonable about this."
JR put his Stetson back on his head and turned away from her. "You gave me everything I ever wanted today," he finally answered. "Seems the least I can do in return is be calm and reasonable about this."
Sue Ellen found herself chewing on her bottom lip again as she considered her options. She didn't trust JR as far as she could throw him, but his words had a ring of truth to them. He HAD gotten everything he had wanted - he was now the most powerful oilman in Texas and she was offering him his freedom. He was right, why shouldn't he be happy to spend a few nights away from Southfork? And certainly it would be better for both her and for John Ross if she returned.
"Alright, JR," she gave in. "But you have to promise me. No tricks, no games. We're done. For good."
JR.closed his eyes and silently cursed himself for letting things between them get this bad. "I promise, Sue Ellen. I only want to get you home to our boy. I'll leave without a fight."
Sue Ellen nodded and fought back a wave of sadness. "Just give me a moment to gather my things."
***
The ride from downtown Dallas to Southfork was excruciatingly long and silent. JR seemed lost in thought, positively brooding. The tension in the car was so thick Sue Ellen felt as if she would choke on it. By the time JR pulled his car into the driveway and parked in his usual spot, Sue Ellen's nerves were completely shot.
"You go on in, darlin'," JR told her, cutting the car's engine. "I'll bring in your things."
Sue Ellen reached for the car's door handle then hesitated. "JR? Why did you stop asking me why I voted with you today instead of against you?"
"Because I know why," JR said curtly. "You did it for John Ross." He couldn't help but smile at the look of shock on her face. "Don't look so surprised, darlin'," he drawled. "I told you I know you better than anyone else alive. Go on in now," he told her, opening his door and stepping out of the car. " I'll be right behind you with your things."
***
"JR," Miss Ellie sighed, "this is...unusual to say the least."
"I know, Mama. But John Ross needs his mother."
"He needs his father too!" Miss Ellie shot back.
"Do you think I don't know that?" JR snapped. "If I could stay here I would! But Sue Ellen won't suffer living in the same house with me and I won't force her to. Not this time."
"Oh, JR," Miss Ellie sighed, "when Bobby told us about Weststar I had so hoped the two of you had reconciled."
"Well, we haven't. And this time I don't think we ever can."
"Don't say that, JR," Miss Ellie pleaded. "The two of you have been through rough patches before. You always find your way back to each other."
"Mama...I…,"
JR fell silent when Clayton came into the kitchen. "Oh, sorry. Didn't mean to interrupt."
"It's alright, Clayton," JR said, standing up. "I was just leaving. Do me a favor and look after Sue Ellen and my boy."
"Sure thing, JR," Clayton promised. "They'll be just fine here with us."
"I know they will," JR nodded. "Goodnight, Mama," JR bent to kiss Miss Ellie's cheek. "I'll call you tomorrow."
Miss Ellie watched her son walk out the door into the night, frowning with worry. "Do you think he'll be alright?"
Clayton couldn't help but laugh. "Are you serious? If anyone can take care of himself, it's JR."
"Normally I would agree," Miss Ellie mused, "but, Clayton, this should be the happiest day of his life. Yet, he looks so broken."
"Losing your family tends to affect a man," Clayton responded.
"He's lost them before," Ellie shook her head. "He never doubted he would get them back."
"Well, maybe this time even he realizes he went too far," Clayton said. "Anyway, it's none of our business."
"No, I guess it isn't," Ellie sighed. "It's just so sad that both boys seem to have lost their true loves."
"Oh, they'll be alright," Clayton reached out and pulled her up into his arms. "They're grown men. Everything will be fine."
"I hope so, Clayton," Miss Ellie said, hugging him tightly. "I truly hope so."
***
Sue Ellen glanced at her watch and decided to give Sly five more minutes or she was leaving. She didn't know why she had agreed to meet JR's secretary for lunch in the first place, especially since Sly refused to tell her over the phone why she wanted to meet with her.
The last week had passed by in a blur. She and the rest of the family went on the same as they ever had, pretending everything was normal. John Ross missed his father terribly, but even he seemed to be adjusting. It's not like JR spent many of his nights at Southfork with the family anyway, even during the best of times.
JR...Sue Ellen managed to block him out of her mind most of the time. She busied herself with work and with searching for the perfect new home where she and John Ross could live happily. It was only at night, after everyone else had long gone to sleep that Sue Ellen allowed herself to think of him and wonder what he was doing.
He had been true to his promise. He hadn't tried to talk to her or contact her in any way. He called John Ross to say goodnight every single night, but not once had he asked to speak to Sue Ellen.
"Why do you care?" she whispered to herself, "isn't that exactly what you wanted?"
"Sue Ellen?"
Sue Ellen turned her head toward the voice that said her name, "April!" she got up and gave the other woman a quick hug. "Please sit down with me."
"Just for a few minutes," April agreed, seating herself across the table from Sue Ellen. "I have a lunch meeting."
"Me too," Sue Ellen sighed, "but I am starting to wonder if I am being stood up. How have you been?"
"Oh, you know," April shrugged, ""the same. I was really sorry to hear about you and JR."
"Why?" Sue Ellen asked. "You of all people know that split had been coming for a long time."
"Yes, I guess I just thought after what happened with Weststar, the two of you had worked things out."
"That was business," Sue Ellen said tightly.
"I know...it's just…"
"What?" Sue Ellen snapped.
"Look, Sue Ellen, I know JR is a snake," April laughed lightly, "but he's always been YOUR snake."
"Oh, yes," Sue Ellen agreed, "mine and half the women in Dallas!"
"You know, Sue Ellen, the last time you two patched things up, he was so giddy about it. Whenever he thought I was being frisky, he'd smile and say, 'You know I'm back with my wife and I'm a one woman man now.' He just seemed so happy to have won you back."
"Well, the shine wore off quickly, I assure you," Sue Ellen replied bitterly.
"I'm sorry, Sue Ellen," April shook her head. "I didn't mean to upset you."
"Mrs. Ewing, I'm so sorry I'm late…"
Sue Ellen looked away from April and saw a nervous looking Sly standing beside their table.
"It's alright, Sly," Sue Ellen said graciously. "Please sit down"
"I can't stay Mrs. Ewing," Sly said with regret. "I have to get back to the office. JR just wanted me to personally make sure you got these." She handed Sue Ellen a manilla envelope. "He also asked me to remind you that he would be spending Saturday afternoon with John Ross."
"Yes, I remember, Sly. Thank you," Sue Ellen said briskly. "Was there anything else?"
Sly dropped her eyes, suddenly unable to meet Sue Ellen's level gaze. "No, ma'am. Thank you," she turned and nodded her head toward April before hurrying away from the table. "Miss Stevens."
Sue Ellen rolled her eyes at Sly's retreating back before turning her attention to the envelope. She carefully opened it and pulled the papers out to examine. One glance, and she suddenly felt as if she had been kicked in the stomach. She felt all the blood drain from her face and for a moment she struggled to breathe.
"Sue Ellen," April said, her voice convened, "are you okay?"
Sue Ellen took a deep breath, steadied her nerves, and forced a wide smile. "Why, yes," she said with as much cheer as she could muster. "It seems my loving husband just had his sweet little secretary serve me with legal separation papers."
"Oh, Sue Ellen, I'm so sorry."
"The only thing to be sorry about," Sue Ellen said, grabbing the papers and her purse and standing up, "is that I didn't have a chance to serve him first! April, I hope you have a lovely lunch."
April couldn't help but feel a little sad as she watched Sue Ellen march out of the restaurant, back straight and head held high.
"Hey. Sorry I'm late but the two of you looked like you were deep into some girl talk."
April laughed as Cliff placed a light Peck on her cheek then sat down across from her. "The famous Mrs. Ewing holding up okay?" Cliff asked, flagging down a waitress.
"She's just fine," April said with a smile. "Now let's eat! I'm starving!"
***
***
This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?
***
What If
Part One
Sue Ellen sat on the edge of her bed and stared blankly at the suitcases stacked neatly in front of her bedroom door. She'd made sure Teresa had all of her belongings packed and ready to go; she'd known she would need to make a quick escape from Southfork before JR got home. He would be dangerously furious about how she had betrayed him…
Except, she hadn't betrayed him. Oh, she had every intention of humiliating him in public and destroying his dream of being head of one of the biggest oil companies in the world. She had plotted and schemed for weeks; with Wendell, with Nicholas, with that silly slut Kimberly Cryder. But when push came to shove, she just couldn't go through with it. The look on JR's face when he had realized what was happening stopped her dead in her tracks - the confusion, the fear, the white hot anger - that she could have dealt with. What she couldn't deal with, what she didn't expect to see in his eyes was the hurt. The wide-eyed, raw pain. The stunned disbelief of her callousness. In that moment, so many things ran through her mind in a flash. She thought about how JR would never forgive her, how he would hate her forever. She thought about John Ross and what kind of life the hate would make for him. She thought of the guilt that would crush her soul once the sweet joy of her revenge wore off. She had a sudden epiphany that revenge wasn't worth the total destruction of her son's life. JR had hurt her, DESTROYED her so many times, never sparing one thought to how it would affect John Ross. But she wasn't JR. Hard as she tried, she just could never be quite as cold and calculating as him.
Of course , Nicholas would disagree with her about that. Her plan had been to destroy JR, leave South Fork in triumph, and move in with Nicholas. There was no chance of her living with him now. She had gone straight from the Weststar meeting to see him...to explain what happened. He didn't want to hear her out though. He accused her of using him to help JR. He believed she had planned to vote her shares to put JR on top from the beginning in order to win him back. She had tried to explain, but Nicholas had angrily ordered her out of his home and out of his life.
"And I don't blame him," she whispered, raising her hand to wipe the solitary tear that had fallen from her eye onto her cheek. "I don't blame him one bit."
She rose from the bed and walked to the door, picking up her suitcases and taking one last look around her room. She wondered how long it would take for JR to realize she was gone. "At least a day or two," she muttered to herself. "He'll be out celebrating his victory with one of his whores and probably won't even bother to come home tonight."
***
JR lifted his hand to get Cassie's attention. She smiled and nodded and went off to the bar to get him another drink. JR pushed his now empty glass away from him and stared straight ahead, not really seeing anything.
Why had she done it? He asked himself the same question he had been asking over and over for the last few hours. Why had Sue Ellen saved his ass?
Oh, he knew everyone in that room - Kimberly, Wendell, all the board members - thought he and Sue Ellen had planned the whole sordid plot together from the beginning. The two of them are the only two people in Dallas who would ever know the truth; JR Ewing's wife held the power to destroy him in the palm of her soft, delicate hand. Instead, she handed him everything he had ever wanted on a silver platter. What JR couldn't figure out for the life of him is why. Why would she help him when she had clearly put so much time and effort into a plot to bring him down once and for all?
JR forced himself to grant Cassie a small smile as she put his drink on the table in front of him and took the empty glass away. He lifted the bourbon to his lips and muttered under his breath, "What the hell are you up to, Miss Texas?"
"JR, I'm surprised to see you slumming at the Cattleman's club with us regular oilmen!"
The shrill sound of the voice JR hated to hear most in the world almost made him choke on his drink. "What the hell do you want, Barnes?" he growled.
"Now, JR," Cliff chuckled, "I just came over to congratulate you on your Weststar coup."
JR said nothing for a moment, studying Cliff's face. Strangely, for once, he saw no malice there. "Word travels fast, I see," JR finally responded.
"Bad news always does," Cliff sighed. "I mean it's good news for you. Bad for the rest of us though."
JR said nothing, he simply sat back in his chair and took another drink of his bourbon.
"Anyway," Cliff shrugged, "surprised to see you here alone. I figured you and that pretty wife of yours would be out celebrating how the two of you managed to bring the entire Texas oil industry to its knees."
JR finished his drink in one long gulp, slammed the glass down on the table, and stood up abruptly. "MY WIFE," he harshly emphasized those two words, "and I prefer to do our celebrating in private."
Cliff stood looking stunned for a few moments, watching JR stomp off in a huff. "Huh," he muttered to himself, "seems to be in a pretty foul mood for someone who just got everything in the world he ever wanted."
***
Bobby carefully placed his empty glass on the mantle and steeled his nerves against the scene that was coming. Miss Ellie and Clayton had gone to dinner in town. Lucy had taken Christopher and John Ross to a movie. Even Teresa and Raoul had taken the night off. Everyone in the Ewing household had made themselves scarce tonight, leaving it to him to deal with JR.
Moments earlier, JR had stormed through the front door and gone tearing up the stairs. Bobby started slowly counting down from ten, knowing it wouldn't take his brother very long to realize Sue Ellen's room was empty and come barreling down to the living room demanding answers.
Right on cue, JR came stomping down the stairs and into the living room, glaring angrily at his brother. "Where the hell is my wife?"
Bobby took a deep breath, picked up his empty glass, and moved to the bar to fix himself another drink. "Want one, JR?"
"Where is she, Bob?" JR demanded.
Bobby sighed heavily, "What makes you think I know?" he asked, handing JR his drink.
JR took the glass from his brother's hands and narrowed his eyes. "Her room is empty, but I checked John Ross's room. All his things are still there. She wouldn't leave her boy here and not tell anyone where she was going."
"No, she wouldn't," Bobby agreed.
"Tell me where she is dammit!"
"She doesn't want you to know, JR," Bobby's voice was quiet. Almost a whisper.
JR drained his drink and slid down into a wide leather chair. For a moment, he allowed himself to remember all the times he and Sue Ellen had shared that chair, her sitting daintily on the arm while he rested his hand on the curve of her hip. "No, I don't guess she does," he finally said.
"JR," Bobby moved to sit across from JR on the couch, "what happened? We all heard you and Sue Ellen took over Weststar today. We all thought we'd be having a big celebration. But then Sue Ellen came down with her bags packed and told us she was leaving you. It makes no sense."
"No, it doesn't," JR agreed."Listen, Bob, I have no idea what happened. I didn't expect for Sue Ellen to be at that meeting. I had no idea she had been buying up Weststar stock. Once I figured it out, I thought she...well, I thought she was going to gut me. Instead, she voted with me and gave me control of the company. Then she ran out of there so fast…"
Bobby was quiet. He leaned back into the couch and quietly considered what JR had told him. "You had no idea what she was planning?" he finally asked.
"None," JR admitted. "You know, Bob, that woman.. I guess I don't ever give her enough credit, do I?"
"Not by a long shot, JR," Bobby sighed. "Listen, Sue Ellen made me promise specifically not to tell you where she was going," Bobby stood, placed his empty glass on the bar, and turned to leave the room. "But…" he said, his back still to his brother, "if you should happen to look in Mama's address book by the phone in the foyer and find out for yourself, I guess there's nothing I can do about that."
JR stood slowly, "Thank you, Bobby," he said softly.
Bobby took a deep breath. "You're welcome, JR. I don't know what's going on between you and Sue Ellen. It's really none of my business. And I am sure that whatever reason she had for not wanting you to find her, you deserve it. But...I, of all men, know what pure hell it is not knowing where to find the woman you love."
JR watched his brother walk up the staircase until he turned the corner out of sight. "Yes," he breathed to himself, "I know you do, little brother."
***
Sue Ellen was lost. She turned on the TV and flipped through the channels, hoping desperately to find something to take her mind off her current situation.
"First night on your own," she muttered, turning the TV back off, "and already lonely and bored out of your mind."
She stood up and walked towards the bathroom, thinking maybe a hot bath would relax her enough to get some rest "Tomorrow will be soon enough to figure out where I will spend the rest of my life."
She was standing at the bathroom door when a sudden, loud pounding shattered the silence. "Open this door right now, Sue Ellen!"
Sue Ellen was startled by the surprise, the dread, and...yes...the thrill of hearing JR's voice yelling at her from the hotel hallway.
"Sue Ellen! Let me in right now or I swear I'll make such a scene, neither one of us will ever be able to show our faces in Dallas again!"
Sue Ellen stalked over to the door and snatched it open with an angry jerk, "How did you find me, JR?" she hissed.
"Don't be stupid, darlin' you know I can find anyone anytime I want to," he growled pushing past her into the room.
Sue Ellen took a deep steadying breath, shut the door, and slowly turned to face him. "What do you want."
"I want," JR replied icily, "to know why you did what you did today. You obviously intended to destroy me then leave me. Why only go through with part of your devious scheme?"
"How do you know I ever intended to hurt you, JR? And...as far as leaving you, maybe I just decided to give you what you have been demanding from me for months now."
"I know you intended to hurt me because I know you better than anyone else alive"
"Maybe not, JR," Sue Ellen challenged him. "I certainly managed to surprise you today."
JR laughed at the truth of her words in spite of himself. "Yes, you did " he agreed. He took off his hat and ran his hand through his hair. "Aren't you going to offer me a drink?"
"I can't," Sue Ellen answered, dropping her eyes to the floor, "I had the minibar removed," she admitted. "I didn't think it was a good idea…"
Her words stopped him cold. Was she worried she would start drinking again? Why? Yes, she had flushed her carefully laid plans for revenge down the toilet, but she had done it with grace and dignity. The story of her brilliance was all over the city by now. They were going to be the ultimate power couple in Dallas. Why on earth would she leave him now? And why would she be tempted to drink again?
Suddenly, out of nowhere, the truth hit JR like a ton of bricks. He knew this woman. He knew there was only one thing in the world that made her hurt and weak enough to drink...him; and he suddenly knew beyond any shadow of a doubt why she had changed her mind about hurting him at the last minute. The realization of what he had done to her and their family crashed down all around him.
JR moved carefully, not wanting to alarm her. He closed the distance between them and gently cupped her chin with his hand, tilting her head up so her eyes met his. He studied her face carefully. Her eyes were puffy and red. Clearly she had been crying. Her bottom lip was slightly swollen. He realized she had been chewing on it, a habit that always manifested when she was severely upset. "Get your things, darlin'," he softly ordered. "You're going home."
"No I'm not," she jerked away from him and stiffened her spine. "Our marriage is over, JR."
"I know," he hated the words as soon as he spoke them. "But John Ross is at Southfork. He needs his mother."
"I won't sleep under the same roof as you for one more night," she spat out angrily.
"I know," he agreed again. "You stay at Southfork with John Ross until you find a more permanent solution. I'll stay at one of the condominiums."
"Why?" Sue Ellen demanded. "Why are you being so calm and reasonable about this."
JR put his Stetson back on his head and turned away from her. "You gave me everything I ever wanted today," he finally answered. "Seems the least I can do in return is be calm and reasonable about this."
Sue Ellen found herself chewing on her bottom lip again as she considered her options. She didn't trust JR as far as she could throw him, but his words had a ring of truth to them. He HAD gotten everything he had wanted - he was now the most powerful oilman in Texas and she was offering him his freedom. He was right, why shouldn't he be happy to spend a few nights away from Southfork? And certainly it would be better for both her and for John Ross if she returned.
"Alright, JR," she gave in. "But you have to promise me. No tricks, no games. We're done. For good."
JR.closed his eyes and silently cursed himself for letting things between them get this bad. "I promise, Sue Ellen. I only want to get you home to our boy. I'll leave without a fight."
Sue Ellen nodded and fought back a wave of sadness. "Just give me a moment to gather my things."
***
The ride from downtown Dallas to Southfork was excruciatingly long and silent. JR seemed lost in thought, positively brooding. The tension in the car was so thick Sue Ellen felt as if she would choke on it. By the time JR pulled his car into the driveway and parked in his usual spot, Sue Ellen's nerves were completely shot.
"You go on in, darlin'," JR told her, cutting the car's engine. "I'll bring in your things."
Sue Ellen reached for the car's door handle then hesitated. "JR? Why did you stop asking me why I voted with you today instead of against you?"
"Because I know why," JR said curtly. "You did it for John Ross." He couldn't help but smile at the look of shock on her face. "Don't look so surprised, darlin'," he drawled. "I told you I know you better than anyone else alive. Go on in now," he told her, opening his door and stepping out of the car. " I'll be right behind you with your things."
***
"JR," Miss Ellie sighed, "this is...unusual to say the least."
"I know, Mama. But John Ross needs his mother."
"He needs his father too!" Miss Ellie shot back.
"Do you think I don't know that?" JR snapped. "If I could stay here I would! But Sue Ellen won't suffer living in the same house with me and I won't force her to. Not this time."
"Oh, JR," Miss Ellie sighed, "when Bobby told us about Weststar I had so hoped the two of you had reconciled."
"Well, we haven't. And this time I don't think we ever can."
"Don't say that, JR," Miss Ellie pleaded. "The two of you have been through rough patches before. You always find your way back to each other."
"Mama...I…,"
JR fell silent when Clayton came into the kitchen. "Oh, sorry. Didn't mean to interrupt."
"It's alright, Clayton," JR said, standing up. "I was just leaving. Do me a favor and look after Sue Ellen and my boy."
"Sure thing, JR," Clayton promised. "They'll be just fine here with us."
"I know they will," JR nodded. "Goodnight, Mama," JR bent to kiss Miss Ellie's cheek. "I'll call you tomorrow."
Miss Ellie watched her son walk out the door into the night, frowning with worry. "Do you think he'll be alright?"
Clayton couldn't help but laugh. "Are you serious? If anyone can take care of himself, it's JR."
"Normally I would agree," Miss Ellie mused, "but, Clayton, this should be the happiest day of his life. Yet, he looks so broken."
"Losing your family tends to affect a man," Clayton responded.
"He's lost them before," Ellie shook her head. "He never doubted he would get them back."
"Well, maybe this time even he realizes he went too far," Clayton said. "Anyway, it's none of our business."
"No, I guess it isn't," Ellie sighed. "It's just so sad that both boys seem to have lost their true loves."
"Oh, they'll be alright," Clayton reached out and pulled her up into his arms. "They're grown men. Everything will be fine."
"I hope so, Clayton," Miss Ellie said, hugging him tightly. "I truly hope so."
***
Sue Ellen glanced at her watch and decided to give Sly five more minutes or she was leaving. She didn't know why she had agreed to meet JR's secretary for lunch in the first place, especially since Sly refused to tell her over the phone why she wanted to meet with her.
The last week had passed by in a blur. She and the rest of the family went on the same as they ever had, pretending everything was normal. John Ross missed his father terribly, but even he seemed to be adjusting. It's not like JR spent many of his nights at Southfork with the family anyway, even during the best of times.
JR...Sue Ellen managed to block him out of her mind most of the time. She busied herself with work and with searching for the perfect new home where she and John Ross could live happily. It was only at night, after everyone else had long gone to sleep that Sue Ellen allowed herself to think of him and wonder what he was doing.
He had been true to his promise. He hadn't tried to talk to her or contact her in any way. He called John Ross to say goodnight every single night, but not once had he asked to speak to Sue Ellen.
"Why do you care?" she whispered to herself, "isn't that exactly what you wanted?"
"Sue Ellen?"
Sue Ellen turned her head toward the voice that said her name, "April!" she got up and gave the other woman a quick hug. "Please sit down with me."
"Just for a few minutes," April agreed, seating herself across the table from Sue Ellen. "I have a lunch meeting."
"Me too," Sue Ellen sighed, "but I am starting to wonder if I am being stood up. How have you been?"
"Oh, you know," April shrugged, ""the same. I was really sorry to hear about you and JR."
"Why?" Sue Ellen asked. "You of all people know that split had been coming for a long time."
"Yes, I guess I just thought after what happened with Weststar, the two of you had worked things out."
"That was business," Sue Ellen said tightly.
"I know...it's just…"
"What?" Sue Ellen snapped.
"Look, Sue Ellen, I know JR is a snake," April laughed lightly, "but he's always been YOUR snake."
"Oh, yes," Sue Ellen agreed, "mine and half the women in Dallas!"
"You know, Sue Ellen, the last time you two patched things up, he was so giddy about it. Whenever he thought I was being frisky, he'd smile and say, 'You know I'm back with my wife and I'm a one woman man now.' He just seemed so happy to have won you back."
"Well, the shine wore off quickly, I assure you," Sue Ellen replied bitterly.
"I'm sorry, Sue Ellen," April shook her head. "I didn't mean to upset you."
"Mrs. Ewing, I'm so sorry I'm late…"
Sue Ellen looked away from April and saw a nervous looking Sly standing beside their table.
"It's alright, Sly," Sue Ellen said graciously. "Please sit down"
"I can't stay Mrs. Ewing," Sly said with regret. "I have to get back to the office. JR just wanted me to personally make sure you got these." She handed Sue Ellen a manilla envelope. "He also asked me to remind you that he would be spending Saturday afternoon with John Ross."
"Yes, I remember, Sly. Thank you," Sue Ellen said briskly. "Was there anything else?"
Sly dropped her eyes, suddenly unable to meet Sue Ellen's level gaze. "No, ma'am. Thank you," she turned and nodded her head toward April before hurrying away from the table. "Miss Stevens."
Sue Ellen rolled her eyes at Sly's retreating back before turning her attention to the envelope. She carefully opened it and pulled the papers out to examine. One glance, and she suddenly felt as if she had been kicked in the stomach. She felt all the blood drain from her face and for a moment she struggled to breathe.
"Sue Ellen," April said, her voice convened, "are you okay?"
Sue Ellen took a deep breath, steadied her nerves, and forced a wide smile. "Why, yes," she said with as much cheer as she could muster. "It seems my loving husband just had his sweet little secretary serve me with legal separation papers."
"Oh, Sue Ellen, I'm so sorry."
"The only thing to be sorry about," Sue Ellen said, grabbing the papers and her purse and standing up, "is that I didn't have a chance to serve him first! April, I hope you have a lovely lunch."
April couldn't help but feel a little sad as she watched Sue Ellen march out of the restaurant, back straight and head held high.
"Hey. Sorry I'm late but the two of you looked like you were deep into some girl talk."
April laughed as Cliff placed a light Peck on her cheek then sat down across from her. "The famous Mrs. Ewing holding up okay?" Cliff asked, flagging down a waitress.
"She's just fine," April said with a smile. "Now let's eat! I'm starving!"
***
Last edited:
Sue Ellen sure is acting like a jealous wife. She still wants JR. It's obvious. He wants her back too. That's why he's acting nice. I wonder how long it's gonna take Sue Ellen to figure out that's why JR is acting too nice.