Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Dynasty
Dynasty
Wasted relationship opportunities...
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Michael Torrance" data-source="post: 71562" data-attributes="member: 719"><p>All of the good possibilities mentioned in this thread really point to the same problem, which has to do with the way <em>Dynasty</em>'s weaker years were: the writers only wrote for the 12-minute commercial break cliffhanger and the end-of-the-episode cliffhanger, creating peril after peril and complication after complication. But richly written shows always have a second layer of scenes, that of the everyday relationships between characters. <em>Dynasty</em> had that in S1, S2, and S9, but it was hit and miss in the other seasons. For instance, there were a couple of random scenes that showed how Adam was acting like a brother toward Amanda, thus we caught on that potential. There were scenes like that in all seasons, but so rare that one can easily list them all on a short piece of paper. <em>Dallas</em>, mentioned, and especially <em>Knots Landing</em> kept providing a steady supply of these scenes. Surprisingly, considering the common pedigree, so did <em>The Colbys</em>. Ironically daytime soaps, where Pollocs learned their "craft," is full of such scenes. I think in their quest to overcompensate and NOT appear as former daytime writers, they went overboard the other way.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Michael Torrance, post: 71562, member: 719"] All of the good possibilities mentioned in this thread really point to the same problem, which has to do with the way [I]Dynasty[/I]'s weaker years were: the writers only wrote for the 12-minute commercial break cliffhanger and the end-of-the-episode cliffhanger, creating peril after peril and complication after complication. But richly written shows always have a second layer of scenes, that of the everyday relationships between characters. [I]Dynasty[/I] had that in S1, S2, and S9, but it was hit and miss in the other seasons. For instance, there were a couple of random scenes that showed how Adam was acting like a brother toward Amanda, thus we caught on that potential. There were scenes like that in all seasons, but so rare that one can easily list them all on a short piece of paper. [I]Dallas[/I], mentioned, and especially [I]Knots Landing[/I] kept providing a steady supply of these scenes. Surprisingly, considering the common pedigree, so did [I]The Colbys[/I]. Ironically daytime soaps, where Pollocs learned their "craft," is full of such scenes. I think in their quest to overcompensate and NOT appear as former daytime writers, they went overboard the other way. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Dynasty
Dynasty
Wasted relationship opportunities...
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top