Wasted relationship opportunities...

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
8
 
Awards
21
Most of us know that DYNASTY had more potential than most shows ever did, but fell a bit short on most of that.

But what relationships between the characters also had potential yet were never explored or perhaps never even happened?

We were told that Claudia and Fallon were great friends, but what scenes did they have together? Something tells me that Pamelas Martin and Bellwood could have had a believable friendship on camera, but we never saw it at all.

Billy Dee Williams and Diahann Carroll had the best volatile chemistry between two characters in ages, but the show reportedly refused to pay him enough to keep him around (and yet they could pay poor, ailing Rock Hudson). I wanted to see a lot more from Brady and Dominique as a couple. (And perhaps Brady couple replace Daniel Reece's character completely, with Billy Dee chasing Linda all around Denver much to the displeasure of Dominique).

Sammy Jo and Adam always seemed like a potential hetero Loepold & Loeb couple -- two dreadful people who were even worse together. But it never quite happened.

A lot of people seemed fond of the Sammy Jo-Clay-Amanda tow-headed triangle, but I really wasn't; I wanted to see a Sammy Jo-Prince Michael-Amanda triangle.


ClaudiaShooting.jpg

pix-dynasty12.jpg


AdamSammyJo.jpg
 

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
A lot of people seemed fond of the Sammy Jo-Clay-Amanda tow-headed triangle, but I really wasn't
Me neither. As handsome as he was, Clay wasn't a very interesting character. That horny little prince however...

I would have liked to see a friendship between Krystle and Dex, nothing deep and certainly not romantic - and the subject "Alexis" should always be avoided.
You know, just a little talk between the spouses of the Colorado titans every now and then. It just makes sense that these people would like eachother.

And I want to see Krystle and Dominique shopping together, like the Knots Landing wives.
 

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
5
I would have liked to see a friendship between Krystle and Dex, nothing deep and certainly not romantic - and the subject "Alexis" should always be avoided.

They tried something like that with Dominique and Dex at some point in S7 and turned out quite nice actually, but after an episode or two they dropped it (as always) and it was never mentioned again (as always). Marvellous (as always)! :re:
Loved the friendship bits between Dex and Fallon in seasons 8 and 9 though.
 
Last edited:

TheWorldaStage

Telly Talk Member
LV
0
 
Sammy Jo and Adam always seemed like a potential hetero Loepold & Loeb couple -- two dreadful people who were even worse together. But it never quite happened.

AdamSammyJo.jpg

A missed opportunity, I thought. A relationship of convenience causing trouble!

A lot of people seemed fond of the Sammy Jo-Clay-Amanda tow-headed triangle, but I really wasn't; I wanted to see a Sammy Jo-Prince Michael-Amanda triangle.

A very interesting idea!
 

Ked

Telly Talk Winner
LV
0
 
Awards
4
Fallon and Amanda. Nuff said.

A lot of people seemed fond of the Sammy Jo-Clay-Amanda tow-headed triangle, but I really wasn't; I wanted to see a Sammy Jo-Prince Michael-Amanda triangle.

I don't see why we can't have both: SJ/Prince/Amanda for the first half of season 6, SJ/Clay/Amanda for the second half. :D
 

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV
1
 
Awards
6
I think for a part of season 5 Jeff and Amanda should engage in flirtatious banter, perhaps even a one night stand, Jeff would see Amanda as a slightly younger version of Fallon.

I'm honestly surprised that Jeff and Amanda didn't interact more, even by season. 5's standards.

Oh yeah, I'd have had those two have a fling in season 4, right before Dex takes up with Alexis. :lol:

This was briefly considered, Fallon would have slept with Dex to get back at Alexis for sleeping with Mark, allegedly, PSM was miffed that this never happened so maybe this was true.
 

Artur

Telly Talk Active Member
LV
0
 
Awards
6
Although they never gave us that opportunity, I would like to see Dominique's short interaction with Sammy Jo. She would have given Ms Reece some "charm school" fancy manners during Sammy Jo's transformation in season 6. Dominique would have been a tough, demanding teacher, who gets mad and furious seeing the tackiness of Sammy Jo's style.
I see the scene, where Jackie takes Sammy Jo and Amanda to Dominique's dressing room. Dominique is taking SJ under her wings. Amanda's giving bitchy comments about Dominique's useful efforts but everyone is shocked seeing Sammy Jo comes out as a classy lady. So is Prince Michael, who shows up there in a search of Amanda...
 
Last edited:

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV
1
 
Awards
6
Although they never gave us that opportunity, I would like to see Dominique's short interaction with Sammy Jo. She would have given Ms Reece some "charm school" fancy manners during Sammy Jo's transformation in season 6. Dominique would have been a tough, demanding teacher, who gets mad and furious seeing the tackiness of Sammy Jo's style.
I see the scene, where Jackie takes Sammy Jo and Amanda to Dominique's dressing room. Dominique is taking SJ under her wings. Amanda's giving bitchy comments about Dominique's useful efforts but everyone is shocked seeing Sammy Jo comes out as a classy lady. So is Prince Michael, who shows up there in a search of Amanda...

A great twist on Pygmalion, I like it ;-)
 

Ked

Telly Talk Winner
LV
0
 
Awards
4
Although they never gave us that opportunity, I would like to see Dominique's short interaction with Sammy Jo. She would have given Ms Reece some "charm school" fancy manners during Sammy Jo's transformation in season 6. Dominique would have been a tough, demanding teacher, who gets mad and furious seeing the tackiness of Sammy Jo's style.
I see the scene, where Jackie takes Sammy Jo and Amanda to Dominique's dressing room. Dominique is taking SJ under her wings. Amanda's giving bitchy comments about Dominique's useful efforts but everyone is shocked seeing Sammy Jo comes out as a classy lady. So is Prince Michael, who shows up there in a search of Amanda...
A great twist on Pygmalion, I like it ;-)

I always did see Sammy Jo as an Eliza Doolittle. X)

I think for a part of season 5 Jeff and Amanda should engage in flirtatious banter, perhaps even a one night stand, Jeff would see Amanda as a slightly younger version of Fallon.

I'm honestly surprised that Jeff and Amanda didn't interact more, even by season. 5's standards.

YES.

This was briefly considered, Fallon would have slept with Dex to get back at Alexis for sleeping with Mark, allegedly, PSM was miffed that this never happened so maybe this was true.

THOSE IDIOTS!!!!!!!
 

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV
1
 
Awards
6
I would have liked Adam and Amanda to have a similar relationship as Steven and Fallon. Both coming into the family late in life.

The Dynasty I envisage would be that Adam and Amanda are super close and Amanda sides with Adam no matter what and stands by him against Fallon and Steven, in turn Adam would be the protective older brother when it came to Amanda dating.
 

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV
1
 
Awards
6
I like this -- the two "relocated" children who have that as a bond.

But no one on DYNASTY really had a relationship after Season 2 when you think about it .... I mean, did they?

No they didn't sadly, which is a shame, as a result it didn't feel that The Carrington's were a family as it where, unlike the Ewings and the Gioberi/Channing families, where
Distant relations within those families would interact more than the closely related Carrington's.
 

Ked

Telly Talk Winner
LV
0
 
Awards
4
I would have liked Adam and Amanda to have a similar relationship as Steven and Fallon. Both coming into the family late in life.
The Dynasty I envisage would be that Adam and Amanda are super close and Amanda sides with Adam no matter what and stands by him against Fallon and Steven, in turn Adam would be the protective older brother when it came to Amanda dating.

YES!!!!!!!! I was going to mention those two earlier, but forgot. Bleah, oh well. But yes, that's how Adam and Amanda should have been; I just adore imagining those two having the bond you described, @StrangerDynastyTreeNat89 . Especially with them constantly getting into four-way fights with Fallon and Steven. :lol:

I think Fallon and Amanda should have hated eachother, kinda like Alexis and Sable.

Fallon and Amanda having a relationship like Alexis and Sable? ...I'm sold. :D

Especially if Steven and Amanda became bosom buddies, Fallon wouldn't like that at all.

You know something? I actually can imagine Steven and Amanda managing to get along with one another - after some initial mistrust and dislike when Amanda first comes in during Fallon's absence; Steven could have seen Amanda as an intruder on Fallon's place in the family. But after all that plays out, the blonde Carrington children manage to work out their differences and form their own unique bond: neither of them are the ambitious, bloodthirsty, competitive types that the rest of their family are, and so they find solace in one another when they want to take a break from all the drama.

Not only would Fallon become jealous, but Adam as well.

But no one on DYNASTY really had a relationship after Season 2 when you think about it .... I mean, did they?

They did in Season 9. :) That's one thing that 9 always seemed to have over on 2: by that time, everybody felt comfortable with another so that they could all just sit down and talk, like normal people. I don't really recall them doing that in Season 2 - but of course, by that time, none of the characters were all that trusting of another.
 

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV
1
 
Awards
6
They did in Season 9. :) That's one thing that 9 always seemed to have over on 2: by that time, everybody felt comfortable with another so that they could all just sit down and talk, like normal people. I don't really recall them doing that in Season 2 - but of course, by that time, none of the characters were all that trusting of another.

Yes that's true, season 9 did really well in making the wider Carrington clan seem close, to the point that we're reminded that Sable and Blake were once cousins in law, and that Sammy Jo and Virginia are the cousins by marriage to the Carrington kids, even Dex seemed to be one of the family for the first time.

Dallas/Knots best crossover for me was when Kristen visited Gary and Val, for the simple fact that it establishes some familial link between the three of them via Sue Ellen, Gary's sister in law, when writing a soap family its important to establish some link or kinship between, not just the immediate family, but also those who on on the fringes of the main family.
 

Ked

Telly Talk Winner
LV
0
 
Awards
4
Yes that's true, season 9 did really well in making the wider Carrington clan seem close, to the point that we're reminded that Sable and Blake were once cousins in law, and that Sammy Jo and Virginia are the cousins by marriage to the Carrington kids, even Dex seemed to be one of the family for the first time.

Dallas/Knots best crossover for me was when Kristen visited Gary and Val, for the simple fact that it establishes some familial link between the three of them via Sue Ellen, Gary's sister in law, when writing a soap family its important to establish some link or kinship between, not just the immediate family, but also those who on on the fringes of the main family.

Right. Having distant relatives and/or "friends of the family" around helps make the characters seem more real, in that they're not living in some bubble. It makes it seem like they really do have lives outside the family drama. Which makes me think of another wasted relationship opportunity:

Steven and his gay lawyer friend from season 4... I feel really bad for forgetting his name, but I do remember *him*. And he could have provided some interesting dynamics for some of the family, not just Steven. I always appreciated that he and Steven were never lovers, it was sort've the equivalent of a man and woman remaining platonic friends.

Another one is Kate Burrows, the unseen friend of Amanda. Why didn't we ever see this person onscreen? We know she wasn't a figment of Amanda's imagination, since Krystle said in one scene that she herself talked with Kate on the phone. We didn't even need to have much of Kate; just give her scenes of eating lunch with Amanda, or playing tennis or going shopping together...

Hm... actually, now I'm beginning to wonder if the character of Kate should have been combined with Dana?

Because that would have been super adorable if Amanda fixed her best friend up with her big brother, Adam. I really would have loved it if we had gotten a friendship between Dana and Amanda, with the latter constantly being supportive of her marriage. I know I've talked about this before, but whenever watching scenes from Season 9, I like to replace Virginia in my imagination with Dana and Amanda. Example:


Here's how I imagine this scene with Dana and Amanda instead of Virginia: when the man approaches, he constantly tries to take Amanda's hand, which makes Dana super angry and bats him away every time. "Keep your filthy hands off my sister!" "Ooh, sisters, huh? Y'know, you two could make a lot of money off that-"

Dana spits on him, and after he pulls the knife on her, she beats the crap out of him. After that, she shouts, "RUN!" and grabs Amanda's hand, racing down the street. The four blondes pile into Sammy Jo's car and take off. They're all silent, with the other three casting looks at Dana (though Amanda is rather impressed).
 

colbyco

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV
0
 
Awards
5
(...) But what relationships between the characters also had potential yet were never explored or perhaps never even happened?

We were told that Claudia and Fallon were great friends, but what scenes did they have together? Something tells me that Pamelas Martin and Bellwood could have had a believable friendship on camera, but we never saw it at all.

Billy Dee Williams and Diahann Carroll had the best volatile chemistry between two characters in ages, but the show reportedly refused to pay him enough to keep him around (and yet they could pay poor, ailing Rock Hudson). I wanted to see a lot more from Brady and Dominique as a couple. (And perhaps Brady couple replace Daniel Reece's character completely, with Billy Dee chasing Linda all around Denver much to the displeasure of Dominique).

Sammy Jo and Adam always seemed like a potential hetero Loepold & Loeb couple -- two dreadful people who were even worse together. But it never quite happened.

A lot of people seemed fond of the Sammy Jo-Clay-Amanda tow-headed triangle, but I really wasn't; I wanted to see a Sammy Jo-Prince Michael-Amanda triangle.

- The Carringtons didn´t have friends most of the time. I´m watching "Dallas" S5 at the moment -it´s great to see the friendship Sue Ellen has with Clayton or how much Pamela cares about Lucy all the time
it´s like the Carringtons say "we´re rich, we´re the Carringtons, we don´t need friends"

there were only some litte excepts: Fallon & Sammy Jo S9, Dex & Fallon S8/9, Krystle & Blake looking for Claudia S2 and Steven and Fallon had a real great brother/sister/friendship until Corley left

- It´s a pity Krystle´s friends from the pilot were never invited to the mansion
- Adam & Amanda should have been much closer and fight against Fallon & Steven over DC in S8
- Jackie could have gone shopping or play tennis with Amanda
- Steven 2 and the both Fallons never came really close like Corley & PSM
- Dominque & Dex was a great idea but lost after 2 episodes

relationships with potential:
- Adam & Sammy Jo could have been the answer to "Falcon Crest´s" Melissa & Lance
- SammyJo/Michael/Amanda and SammyJo/Clay/Amanda
- Dex and Dominique
- Ben and Caress
 
Top