The Jaws Thread

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
John Hancock's Jaws 2 remains one of the most fascinating pieces of filmmaking lore to me.

Here's a meaty interview from this year in which Hancock himself delves into it, discussing the bureaucratic minefield, the backstabbing and the no-win situation in which he found himself, with some problems dating back to before the first film with Lorraine Gary's casting:


He seems like a nice guy, and there's a nice little exchange towards the end where he seems genuinely interested to know what the interviewer does with all the Blu-rays and books in the background, then they begin discussing his other work.




What led me to the interview was the inclusion of a few snippets in this new video which covers Hancock's Jaws 2, and breaks down the story and the politics behind the making of the film:


There are definite themes of ambitious people with agendas, and of people in power using it for personal gain. Depending how much is to be believed this could affect one's affection for some of the people involved. It has helped, though, that Hancock said he is still Facebook friends with Lorraine.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
The buzz around the 50th Anniversary seems fairly low key, but there are a few things bubbling away.

There's various merchandise, some of which seems a bit tacky, such as water bottles and cross-body bags. Some is great fun, though, like the Lego set which I've had a go at building myself.

The remaining Bruce is to be on display at one of the Universal parks.

Empire has given the anniversary its own cover, one a production photo of Spielberg getting ready to shoot Bruce and the other this atmospheric painting:
GnnoLpJWoAALHdc

Then there's the film itself. It's back in cinemas from August, which seems quite late in the year to me, since Amity is a summer town that needs summer dollars. I don't know if it will also show up on British shores, but I feel I've ticked that box anyway.

There's also a new 4K Blu-ray release.

4a2c471e598a246017e114945c4c4231

fced327f-7a42-4207-8f6d-697f68b8f5e3.jpg

cfe1bbc6-6883-4a8d-a6ef-0eeb6f5f2c19.jpg

The internet seems to be up in arms over the busy cover. I kind of like it, as it reminds me of the art that accompanied the Reader's Digest adaption of the Jaws novel, but I think it would look better without Roger Kastel's iconic shark image forming part of the group (sacrilege, I know, but perhaps the cast painting could appear on the back cover). It's certainly an improvement over the recent badly-painted sequel steelbooks from the POV of inside the shark's mouth.

The last Jaws Blu-rays I bought were in 2012 (a Nordic steelbook and a "book" type edition). Before that it was the 30th and 25th Anniversary DVDs. Since the 50th release has a new 90 minute documentary and I don't already own the 4K version I took the plunge. I think this will mark my first 4K Blu-ray of any film, which is fitting, since Jaws was also the first Blu-ray I bought, and before that, my very first DVD, back in 2000.

It's still fairly early in the year, so perhaps there'll be one or two more special announcements along the way.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
No news here, really. Nothing we didn't already know. Still, it's very nice to see the half century getting a little media coverage:

 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
A couple of days ago, someone - who knows I love all things Jaws - showed me something found on social media about a digital soundtrack. I was completely underwhelmed. Firstly, I didn't care for the artwork (the red Jaws logo over a background of choppy water). Secondly, I don't do digital. Thirdly - and most importantly - I have the 40th Anniversary Intrada soundtrack which is pretty definitive.

Then soundtrack album producer Mike Matessino made this post on the FSM board:

Mike Matessino said:
https://jaws50music.com has been launched, which is a landing page and portal for all of the 50th anniversary JAWS soundtrack releases. (Some may recall something similar for the Back to the Future releases ten years ago.)

As most of you know, there are TWO recordings of John Williams’ indelible music for Steven Spielberg’s classic… the Academy Award-winning “Original Motion Picture Score,” coming from Back Lot Music and Universal Studios, and the separately made album recording: the GRAMMY-winning “Music From the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack,” coming from Universal Music Enterprises and Geffen Records/Interscope.

It was my privilege to undertake the restoration, remixing and remastering of both recordings.

YES, the first generation multi-track of the album recording was located.
YES, there will be a “Special Edition” CD release from Intrada coming soon that will present both recordings and feature previously unreleased tracks.

More news and updates to come.


Truth to tell, I've been very happy with the sound quality of the 2015 album, but the information here suggests the 2025 restoration will sound even better. The four previously unreleased tracks are exciting as well. One appears to be an alternative take of The Pier Incident, but who knows what the others will be. 2015 brought The Typewriter and four Amity Band tracks. I'm not expecting anything anything on this level for the new album but... newly unearthed Jaws music is newly unearthed Jaws music.

Some of the new digital and vinyl stuff is out now (as in the link mentioned in the quote above), but the CD seems to be still some months away. I'm sure it'll be worth waiting for.

Intrada-JAWS-1024x880.jpg
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Last night I watched Jaws for the first time since 2022. Before that was 2020, and up to that point I'd watched annually for as long as I can remember. This is the longest I believe I've gone between Jaws viewings since home media came into my life in the Eighties.

It's a little sad that the film is no longer an annual event for me. I put this down to watching YouTube reaction videos (which I know is a very twelve-year-old girl thing to do), so this year I've deliberately avoided Jaws reactions until after I'd watched the film itself.

Technically I'm watching around a week early, since I generally favour viewing the film at the same time of year as the events within it take place (28th June through to 6-7 July), but since this is the 50th Anniversary I wanted to watch exactly 50 years after opening weekend, so I wasn't prepared to wait until my 4K steelbook arrives at the end of July. Really I should have watched a day earlier than I did, since that was the opening day, but life kept me from doing so.

Despite the gap between viewings, this is familiar, reassuring comfort. From the moment it begins until the tiny figures of Brody and Hooper can be seen setting foot on Chappaquiddick's Cape Poge, it was like an old friend.

Jaws has never crossed the line for me into becoming so familiar that I take it for granted. Even knowing every beat and every line of dialogue, there's always plenty that feels fresh and new.

Some of the humour was pre-empted. Last night, the pair of us watching gave little anticipatory chuckles when the fishermen were trying in vain to guess the Tiger Shark's species, ahead of that hilarious delivery of "A whaaaaa....?" Likewise, there was a titter or two when Vaughn was scowling at the helicopter, even before he mouthed "bastards" at them.

Some of it surprised. I've always found Hooper's response to Quint crushing the beer can - mirroring the same action by crumpling his little plastic party cup - really funny for the way it mocks alpha male machismo by inverting it. Last night I found the moment where Hooper drops said cup especially funny due to the almost expressionless look he gives at the same time (you can tell he's pleased with himself. It's the Jaws equivalent of a mic drop moment).

Hooper was great all the way through, actually. I've always found him engaging but must confess that a few of his more enthusiastic standout moments of delivery ("This. Was. Not. A. Boating. Accident" / "Boys. Oh boyyyyys" / "He's trying to runnnnnnnn". / "It's impoooossibaaaaaughll") have made me laugh for having a whiff of ham. Last night it was all the other stuff that grabbed me. He makes the scientist-speak fun and accessible, and I was really taken with how engaging Richard Dreyfuss is. His eye contact is great and his warm smile lights up many a scene. It's also impressive to watch this young actor holding his own while going toe-to-toe with older, more experienced actors.

Ben Gardner was another. I've always found Craig Kingsbury's scenes enjoyable for the way he reels off his lines without any kind of punctuation, and simply doesn't give a toss. Last night, for whatever reason, I found myself really noticing every line he said and every look he gave almost as though watching him for the first time. His throwaway line "get outta the way, ya goddamn fool, you" made me smile especially wide.


Some of the drama also felt potent last night.

Quint's Indianapolis Speech affected me more deeply than usual. When he said "Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side..." I physically got chills, goose pimples and my stomach turned. As he went on, I found myself tearful. I don't think I've ever found it more emotional. It truly is a terrific performance from Robert Shaw.

Same again last night, but this time it started even earlier, around the time Quint identified his removed tattoo as being the USS Indianapolis. It's notable that the wound comparing scene and the levity that led into the Indianapolis Speech and Show Me The Way To Go Home felt especially tangible and hard-won last night. Fifty years on, it's one of the scenes that gets better with each viewing.

Likewise, I found Mrs Kintner's "my boy is dead" speech more touching than ever. I was completely drawn in and found myself tearing up at not only her loss but Brody's impotent horror at being publicly accused of responsibility for that death (which reinforces his own feelings about it). It's bloody effective and legitimises the whole third act, and Brody's motive for insisting on going out to sea despite his fear of the ocean.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
A very recent interview with Lorraine Gary talking about Jaws.


It's not the most focussed interview, but she's spoken so little about the films over the years it's nice to see her here. The memories are a little fuzzy, but she's certainly very frank about her working relationships:

Lorraine said:
Rick [Dreyfuss]. Yeah. He's... We were not deep friends.

Lorraine said:
Roy [Scheider] and I didn't like each other, truthfully, and he was insulting.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Steven Spielberg's introduction to Jaws At 50 brilliantly encapsulates the filmmaking experience in under four minutes:


And here's the trailer for the project itself:

 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
This video captures the spirit of the celebrations on Martha's Vineyard. How nice to see bit players such as the "Sh-sh-shark!" painter; the "He made me do it" fake fin kids and even the guitar player from the opening scene, strumming the same chords:

Richard Dreyfuss looks very weary, but I can imagine it was back-to-back interviews and fan requests for him. You have to love his dedication to the film. Jeffrey Kramer, too, always seems happy to revisit this film (and the first sequel).
 

Crimson

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV
2
 
Awards
9
Richard Dreyfuss looks very weary, but I can imagine it was back-to-back interviews and fan requests for him. You have to love his dedication to the film.

He was, however, conspicuously absent from JAWS AT 50 except via archival interviews. I don't know if he declined to participate, possibly because he disagrees with others recollections ("lies"), or if he wasn't invited, possibly due to his recent controversies.

The documentary was very well made and entertaining, but I don't think it contained anything I didn't already know. Odd because I don't recall ever particularly seeking out information about the making of the film, yet somehow I know every detail. Spielberg reiterated how he cut much of the novel because he wasn't interested in the small-town dramas. I'm not sure he understands how much the movie relies on his success in establishing that small-town vibe. I'll say it again -- he could have dropped the shark entirely and I think I would have liked a coastal "Peyton Place" just as much.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
I don't know if he declined to participate, possibly because he disagrees with others recollections ("lies"), or if he wasn't invited, possibly due to his recent controversies.

I was taken aback by his forceful comefback in that video linked above.
It's a lie. It's a lie - a complete lie. They lied. They made it up, and I was very hurt by it.

In earlier Jaws documentaries, while his reflections on the problems with Robert Shaw have generally been tempered with an evident fondness (far more so than other contributors), he has said that Shaw bullied and constantly challenged him him on-set. I've always just assumed he supported what others were saying, but perhaps it's in the way these things are edited.

It must have been a little confusing for him on the set, where he admired and almost worshipped this very unpredictable figure who made him the object of his ridicule.

I do recall watching a video of him appearing on Irish TV having met Robert Shaw's granddaughter moments before and he became quite emotional. To me, that moment somehow felt like a turning point for him in how he framed it.





The documentary was very well made and entertaining, but I don't think it contained anything I didn't already know.

The 50th Anniversary steelbook isn't released here until the 28th, so I have yet to watch it, but I really expected this to be the case. The story behind Jaws has been so well-documented right from the beginning (starting with The Jaws Log book, which memorialised everything "live" from the set) that it feels it's all been said.

I'm really not expecting much more than a fond look back and that's OK with me.





I'm not sure he understands how much the movie relies on his success in establishing that small-town vibe. I'll say it again -- he could have dropped the shark entirely and I think I would have liked a coastal "Peyton Place" just as much.

That certainly would have been interesting to see.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
The documentary was very well made and entertaining, but I don't think it contained anything I didn't already know.

I'm really not expecting much more than a fond look back and that's OK with me.


Last night I watched Jaws @50: The Definitive Inside Story.

Let's get this over with: it didn't entirely live up to its name. This was always going to be an impossible task when so many of the key players are now dead. Naturally, they were only present through archival footage: some taken from other, more definitive projects such as The Making Of Jaws. What's more, well-known stories are now being told second-hand. Case in point, Peter Benchley's widow, Wendy, telling the story he had previously told about how he came up with the name. We also get people re-telling previously-told anecdotes, like Spielberg's recollection of seeing the title Jaws and wondering if related to dentistry.

That said, it is as enjoyable as I'd hoped to see the film's making remembered by those involved. Not always fondly, but there's a definite fondness for the final product and what it has come to mean to them. Time can almost stand still when it comes to this film, so I was taken aback by little reminders of the ageing process. One can forget that Carl Gottlieb and Joe Alves are both almost 90. Both look well on it, but there's no hiding the fact that they are not young men (Alves still looks sprightly, but I heard his voiceover before he was shown, and he certainly sounded old).

It was nice to see comments from filmmakers about how Jaws had influenced or impacted upon them. Some of the talking heads felt very much like filler, though, and a couple of people felt out of place... as though they just happened to be around the studio when the documentary was shot. Case in point: actress Emily Blunt, evidently trying very hard to say something profound and sage, but sounding rather hollow (and worse... hollow with an irritating mid-Atlantic accent). Ultimately the talking heads being padded out with fans who weren't even born when the film was released lost much of the purity of earlier projects, and served as a reminder that with each passing anniversary there are fewer and fewer people who can truly say "I was there".

There was lots of stuff that felt new. Jaws extra Todd Rebello - brother of late Michael Brody actor Chris Rebello - keeping the spirit of the film alive was really sweet. A number of behind-the-scenes photos were new to me, I think, and there were also new photos presumably provided by families of those involved (Peter Benchley is quite a hottie in some of these candid photos). I also really enjoyed the current shots of Martha's Vineyard.

The images of sharks that had been cruelly slain during the trophy hunting movement that gained huge ground after the success of Jaws were really quite difficult to look at (necessarily so, since the very idea is incredibly ugly), but it's at least balanced by the fact that Jaws also created a new generation of marine biologists who help preserve these awe-inspiring creatures. Peter Benchley's family are also continuing to raise awareness of the back of the work he himself did to improve the image of the shark later in life.

Overall, it's refreshing to hear a familiar story told in a new way. The release of some previously unseen stuff made this one worth doing for me, and it's interesting enough that I would watch again.
 

Crimson

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV
2
 
Awards
9
What's more, well-known stories are now being told second-hand.

Yes at some point these kinds of projects stop being recollections and turn into archeology. I feel the same anytime a new biography of someone from the early 20th century is published. Anyone with first-hand accounts is likely gone and it's just sifting through already sifted through information. Yet, sometimes there's still little nuggets to be found.

I've already done my annual, early summer viewing of JAWS and I've seen it in theaters twice already -- including 3D, not to be confused with JAWS 3D -- so I didn't make any effort to see the 50th anniversary theatrical release. There is a planned showing at a local beach in August that I plan to attend; nothing beats watching JAWS on the beach under the moonlight. Next level atmosphere.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
It's Wednesday... It's Tuesday, I think.

The album's officially on sale, and the track list has dropped:

Intrada announces the 50th-anniversary edition of one of the most iconic scores in film music history: John Williams' Jaws. Released in cooperation with Universal Studios and Universal Music Enterprises (UMe), this release of the music for Steven Spielberg’s blockbuster classic features restorations of both the film score and original album recording, each re-done from the ground up. While it might seem that such a famous score “needs no introduction," it actually does. The world in general could identify the shark theme from just two notes, largely unaware of the seafaring, adventurous and swashbuckling music Williams composed that goes well beyond the stalking, menacing music that portends the shark's presence. The score has its scary moments, but its thrilling, mysterious and sometimes even playful aspects also often come to the fore.

Back in 2015 when Intrada first released the complete score, Universal made a fresh transfer of the three-track masters at a standard resolution of 44k/24-bit. For this release, Universal created a new high-resolution transfer at 192k/24-bit that provided levels of detail previously unheard. The most striking improvement, however, comes from the MCA album program. Back in 2015 no one could locate the elements for the original soundtrack recording beyond the CD digital master made in 1992. In the intervening years, UMe located the 2-inch, 16-track multichannel master tapes for the album recording. They transferred these in high-resolution as well and they proved to be in excellent condition. GRAMMY-nominated soundtrack producer Mike Matessino cleaned up and fully remixed these transfers, allowing this classic recording to sound more alive than it ever has before—and that's not hyperbole. Even more remarkable was the discovery of never-before-heard material on master tapes that hadn’t been played for half a century.

This new three-CD set, assembled in consultation with the composer and director, includes new masters from the high-resolution transfers and new multi-track sources, with the film score on CD 1, the MCA album program on CD 2, and all the exclusive anniversary extras on the third CD. Look out in particular for the revelatory new track “Theme From Jaws (Variation)“ and a never-before-heard section in “Main Title and Beach Attacks.”

In an extensive essay titled “The Jaws Music Log,” presented in a 40-page booklet with special cover art designed by Stéphane Coëdel, Matessino provides the definitive historical account of the creation of this legendary film score masterpiece. A second booklet in the package offers track lists and credits.

The main film score will also be available on vinyl from Mondo and digitally from Backlot Music, while UME/Geffen is set to release the album recording on digital and vinyl.

CD 1 Original Motion Picture Score
01. Jaws – Main Title (0:57)
02. The First Victim (1:46)
03. Remains On The Beach (0:58)
04. The Empty Raft (1:44)
05. The Pier Incident (2:30)
06. Father And Son (1:59)
07. The Alimentary Canal (1:56)
08. Ben Gardner’s Boat (3:33)
09. Tourist Montage (1:33)
10. Into The Estuary (2:53)
11. Heading Out To Sea (1:00)
12. Tug On The Line (2:42)
13. Man Against Beast (5:36)
14. Quint’s Tale (2:45)
15. Brody Panics (1:17)
16. Barrel Off Starboard (1:39)
17. Great Chase (3:01)
18. Shark Tows Orca 0:40)
19. Three Barrels Under (2:19)
20. From Bad To Worse (1:06)
21. Quint Thinks It Over (1:14)
22. Work Montage (The Shark Cage Fugue) (2:03)
23. The Shark Approaches (0:54)
24. The Shark Hits The Cage (2:04)
25. Quint Meets His End (1:27)
26. Blown To Bits (3:17)
27. Jaws – End Title (1:56)
CD 1 Total Time: 54:50




CD 2 Remastered Original Soundtrack
01. Main Title (Theme From Jaws) (2:21)
02. Chrissie’s Death (1:43)
03. Promenade (Tourists On The Menu) (2:51)
04. Out To Sea (2:37)
05. The Indianapolis Story (2:31)
06. Sea Attack Number One (5:30)
07. One Barrel Chase (3:09)
08. Preparing The Cage (3:30)
09. Night Search (3:36)
10. The Underwater Siege (2:36)
11. Hand To Hand Combat (2:37)
12. End Title (Theme From Jaws) (2:23)
CD 2 Total Time: 35:27




CD 3 50th Anniversary Extras

ALBUM RECORDING

01. Main Title And The Beach Attacks (2:49)
02. Theme From Jaws (Variation) (2:29)
03. Chrissie’s Death (Alternate) (1:43)
04. The Underwater Siege (Extended Version) (2:50)
05. Hand To Hand Combat (Extended Version) (3:02)
Total Time: 12:56

MUSIC FROM AMITY TOWN BEACH
06. Original Rag (2:05)
07. Winter Stories Waltz (1:44)
08. Thousand And One Nights Waltz (1:48)
09. In The Good Old Summer Time (1:28)
Total Time: 7:06

FILM SCORE RECORDING
10. Jaws – Main Title (Alternate) (1:03)
11. The Typewriter (0:20)
12. The Pier Incident (Alternate) (2:25)
13. Father And Son (Alternate) (1:59)
14. Into The Estuary (Alternate) (2:51)
15. Man Against Beast (Alternate) (5:36)
16. Brody Panics (Alternate) (1:16)
17. Barrel Off Starboard (Alternate) (1:26)
18. Great Chase (Alternate) (3:01)
19. Shark Tows Orca (Alternate) (0:40)
20. Three Barrels Under (Alternate) (2:15)
21. The Shark Approaches (Alternate) (0:56)
22. The Shark Hits The Cage (Alternate) (2:04)
23. Quint Meets His End (Alternate) (1:33)
24. Wild Shark Theme (1:10)
Total Time: 28:35

CD 3 Total Time: 48:40



3–CD Total Time: 138:54




I did have to overcome my distaste at the US$29 shipping fees - a total of seventy US dollars. And I kicked myself slightly upon realising - after ordering - that it's also available on European sites, probably with much lower P&P. Still, it's nice to get it hot off the press and directly from the record label who put all the work into it.

This was a no-brainer for me, and even more so now that I've seen all those previously unreleased alternative tracks, unearthed in recent years. The fact this is sourced in high resolution from original elements makes it worth the investment alone, but all those alternative cues on CD 3 are mouthwatering.

Now it's on the way, I have to contain my excitement until it arrives and I can hear Jaws... as it's never been heard before.

 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Seems Intrada have been inundated with orders in the thousands, but I'm happy to report that my order shipped five minutes ago.

Jaws_20250826_r3.jpg
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Watching this interview, I'd thought it was contemporaneous with the original film, but realised after he joked about "Jaws 3" that it was filmed after the first sequel was out there (he wisely doesn't mention Jaws 2 directly). Turns out this is from March 1981. It's good to see him reflect on Jaws at a time when he'd have been very busy with other projects:

 
Top