I never knew about the two different endings for The Revenge movie. I think I prefer the international version.
I love these little titbits about the changes made.
The International Cut, in which the shark explodes and Jake survives, was shot after the film was poorly received in its initial release. It was hastily done, in a tank (which you can see if you look at the skyline closely) and with the recalled actors in wigs. Some of the new shots don't hold up that well to freeze frame:
The first version I watched was the re-shot "exploding shark" ending. This was back when it was first released in UK cinemas. At the time I'd devoured everything I could find about the film, and I'd read about the changes somewhere along the way. I'd also read the book in which the shark is impaled. I can remember discussing these differences with a friend as we queued outside the cinema, and as we left the film after the shark had exploded I can clearly remember saying to my friend "I think I'd rather have watched the American ending". The International Cut was also the version released on VHS and later DVD in the UK (and I think everywhere).
I didn't see the Theatrical Version until perhaps the early Nineties when it was shown on BBC late one evening. I recorded it half hoping they'd show the original ending, but I didn't really think they would. I couldn't believe my eyes when it got to the shark impalement at the end. This original theatrical ending was finally given an official release four or five years ago when the film came out on Blu-ray (albeit the ending only appeared as a bonus feature. The film itself still has the exploding shark).
The Theatrical Ending has generally been my favourite, which I think is down to its elusiveness. All those years of thinking I'd never see it, and then suddenly, it was randomly shown on TV.