Neighbours AXED after 37 years (now saved and returning to screens in 2023)

Monzo

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV
1
 
Awards
9
This seems like the right time for soaps that have been canceled to make a comeback. After Neighbours, the longest-running French soap Plus Belle La Vie, which ended last November, will also return.
 

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV
5
 
Awards
11
....Dallas anyone?

If it hews closer to what Lorimar (-Telepictures and Television) had on CBS from 1978-91, and not the abortive TNT remake, then yes.
 

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV
7
 
Awards
15
So who's all excited for the return of Neighbours tonight?

I know I am. I'm really looking forward to it being back on TV again. :)
 

Rove

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
0
 
Awards
5
So who's all excited for the return of Neighbours
Clearly not Aussie viewers. It's currently reported Neighbours has been bumped from it's 4:30pm slot on 10 - held previously by B&B (The Bold & The Beautiful) - and shoved back to 4pm while B&B has returned to its 4:30pm slot. B&B is still out-rating Neighbours. That's embarrassing. Personally I just don't see the attraction in either program...both yawn-fests.
 

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV
7
 
Awards
15
Clearly not Aussie viewers. It's currently reported Neighbours has been bumped from it's 4:30pm slot on 10 - held previously by B&B (The Bold & The Beautiful) - and shoved back to 4pm while B&B has returned to its 4:30pm slot. B&B is still out-rating Neighbours. That's embarrassing. Personally I just don't see the attraction in either program...both yawn-fests.

I've loved the show since the 1980's.

But I'm holding out that at least the UK viewers still love it. :)
 

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Star
LV
3
 
Awards
7
Clearly not Aussie viewers. It's currently reported Neighbours has been bumped from it's 4:30pm slot on 10 - held previously by B&B (The Bold & The Beautiful) - and shoved back to 4pm while B&B has returned to its 4:30pm slot. B&B is still out-rating Neighbours. That's embarrassing. Personally I just don't see the attraction in either program...both yawn-fests.
B&B has a solid fan base in Australia, so it was unwise to move it from its established timeslot. Also, as seen in the roundups of past soaps on the Chronological History of… thread, the evening news is king, so if you’re a poor lead in (as Neighbours appears to be) you’re going to be moved.
 

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV
5
 
Awards
11
B&B has a solid fan base in Australia, so it was unwise to move it from its established timeslot.

It still just as much has that slot here in America (1:30 P.M., after Y&R; probably 12:30 in the Central and Mountain zones).
 

AndyB2008

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV
0
 
Awards
6
Clearly not Aussie viewers. It's currently reported Neighbours has been bumped from it's 4:30pm slot on 10 - held previously by B&B (The Bold & The Beautiful) - and shoved back to 4pm while B&B has returned to its 4:30pm slot. B&B is still out-rating Neighbours. That's embarrassing. Personally I just don't see the attraction in either program...both yawn-fests.
I watched the first week and that was enough. Nothing to grab my attention. Amazon haven't published a press release to say it's a big hit.

When 10 moves it 3 weeks in, that's a worry. Heck even Eldorado mostly stayed at 7pm despite their issues.

Wonder if Amazon will do a Julia Smith (see Eldorado, and at least she had the dignity to fall on her sword unlike Herbison) and fire the current executive producer and writer, so they can say they are trying to fix it, to get people to comeback a la Dynasty. After all, Amazon are funding it, and will want some return, given the marketing blitz.

Either that or do a Cracker by being daring and kill off one of the oldies like Karl, Susan or Paul (not Harold), to get people interested, regardless of what the diehard fans (NeighBens etc) think. I quote Cracker because Jimmy McGovern had the balls to bump off a main character, and what do Karl and Susan bring to the show nowadays except for nostalgia?

Or have a plane dropped on Lassiters, bumping off some characters.
 
Last edited:

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Star
LV
3
 
Awards
7
When 10 moves it 3 weeks in, that's a worry. Heck even Eldorado mostly stayed at 7pm despite their issues.
I know it’s very early doors but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s pulled from 10 altogether and just left to air in Australia on 10 Peach. It depends really on how much 10 are paying for it.
 

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV
3
 
Awards
9
I know it’s very early doors but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s pulled from 10 altogether and just left to air in Australia on 10 Peach. It depends really on how much 10 are paying for it.
I doubt they're paying that much for it - Neighbours wasn't ever kept alive because it did well in Australia, plus linear ratings on television is just down so I doubt they could earn much ad revenue even if it was successful in today's climate.
 

AndyB2008

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV
0
 
Awards
6
I know it’s very early doors but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s pulled from 10 altogether and just left to air in Australia on 10 Peach. It depends really on how much 10 are paying for it.
As I mentioned in the Berrengers thread ref Hunter, networks don't have the patience to give shows time nowadays - it has to be an instant hit out of the gate, or it's DOA. (Hunter would have been axed by NBC based on low ratings had Stephen Cannell not asked Brandon Tartikoff to be patient with it)

The Amazon contract for Neighbours is 2 years, but one wonders if they have a get out clause in it. Either that or flex their muscles (as they are the main funders) by firing Isheev, Kendall and Herbison.
 
Last edited:

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV
3
 
Awards
9
I think Amazon might be patient enough to let it run for two years - people don't realise that these daytime soaps are much cheaper than their normal "prestige" shows.

Peacock renewed DAYS for two years after all - making it at least run three years on there. But DAYS is way cheaper than stuff like the upcoming Crystal Lake, which will be like eight to ten episodes and won't bring in viewers daily like DAYS. I hope Neighbours is a relative success - not because I like it, but because it's the future of the medium and I'd like my dailies to come along on the ride.
 

Knots4ever

Telly Talk Active Member
LV
0
 
Awards
4
Neighbours is the top watched Freevee show in the UK, number 9 in the US and number 3 worldwide.

Worldwide it is rating better than Judy Justice which is number 4; in the UK JJ is at number 6.

Neighbours is not going anywhere for the time being.
The annual production costs for Neighbours are significantly less than what is spent on Judy Justice.
 
Last edited:

Rove

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
0
 
Awards
5
by being daring and kill off one of the oldies like Karl, Susan or Paul
I still don't think that would be enough. The problem I see with Neighbours is the constant...the same dreary stories but with different faces. Long term soaps no longer hold my interest as I prefer short term series...beginning, middle and end. I don't how long term soapie addicts do it anymore.
 

Monzo

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV
1
 
Awards
9
How satisfied are long-time viewers with the quality of the new episodes? I was no longer a regular viewer when the show was cancelled, I just came back for the finale and I don't watch the Freevee version, but strangely enough you don't read anything about it, neither positive nor negative.

How is Mischa Barton doing on Neighbours?
 
Top