Neighbours AXED after 37 years (now saved and returning to screens in 2023)

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
6
More comebacks!

Margot Robbie returns to Ramsay Street for Neighbours finale​


The news was revealed in a post from the Neighbours UK Twitter account on Saturday. Robbie’s return was announced alongside with those of other former stars including the House actor Jesse Spencer (...)

"We’re thrilled to share that Margot Robbie, Jesse Spencer, Delta Goodrem, Kym Valentine and Carla Bonner will all make an appearance in our finale!”
 

Pamela_E

Admin Emerita
LV
0
 
Awards
6
I have been watching Neighbours in recent weeks because its ending and shock horror, I really enjoy it.

I can't put my finger on what it is, maybe because there are so many really nice characters or maybe because the plot lines only last a week or two or maybe because they seem to have a much smaller cast.

But there is something really different which I kind of prefer , it's an easy watch.

Credit to the writers and producers because its no easy task having a show 5 days a week. I imagine they have fun writing it, like Jane's son a male sex worker.

It just doesn't take itself seriously and has a huge amount of heart, in contrast Home and Away just seems a bit soulless.
 

Monzo

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV
1
 
Awards
9
Many viewers returned for the finale in Australia!
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Happy Neighbours Day everyone. Now that I'm well and truly hooked again, I'm excited about watching the final two episodes this evening.


Many viewers returned for the finale in Australia!

That's great.

I have a feeling it will be the same story in the UK. Neighbours was phenomenally big here at one point and people of a certain age remember it very fondly.

I actually overheard some people discussing the finale yesterday, saying they were going to tune in for it despite not watching for decades. It's very rare for me to hear discussion of any TV show (much less one I know) outside these virtual four walls, so it seems there's a real-world buzz about it.
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
It's been a real treat tuning in for the last week or so. I only recognised a handful of the characters, but soon found myself rooting for them all (especially the poor bloke who just got dumped by Sophie from Home and Away). In some ways, it's more adult than I remember - I think the first scene I watched had someone entering a room doing up his trousers prompting a low-level knob joke from Toady, which would not have been acceptable in the '80s, and I don't think you'd have got a lengthy scene in bed between a nakedish man and woman either, much less between two men like there was the other day. Also, most of the older characters now walk around carting suitcases of emotional baggage, the result of living in a soap opera for a decade or three, which obviously wasn't the case when the show was only a few years old. But yes, it still has that sweet Neighbours-y innocence which seems far more touching and less laughable than it used to.

I love the idea of Jane as Gail Potter. I can also see a bit of Kathy Beale in there too, in that she's sort of not-your-grandma's-soap-matriarch, but still reactionary enough to keep the wheels of drama greased. Karl's son now looks more like Karl than Karl, who has turned into Paddy from Emmerdale, except for the competition advert he does halfway through each ep where he's recognisably Karl again. As some wag on Twitter pointed out, Shane is now played by Shirley Carter from EastEnders, but at the same time still looks incredibly cool. I kind of love how Terese/Sophie and Lucy Robinson have blossomed from skinny teens into these big buxom Aussie women. Terese/Sophie has a definite Sharon from Enders vibe about her as she glides from one set to another in a very efficient, businesslike manner while clearly on the verge of an emotional breakdown at all times. I'm not sure I'd recognise Ramsay Street itself, though. Has it had some sort of post-explosion makeover?

I tuned into see the old faces returning, but at this rate it doesn't seem like there'll be room for them to do much but stand at the back and wave. It doesn't matter really now though. They've kind of become the icing on the cake.

The Guardian has gone Neighbours mad this week:

 
Last edited:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Karl, who has turned into Paddy from Emmerdale, except for the competition advert he does halfway through each ep where he's recognisably Karl again.

Yes - I wouldn't have realised it was the same guy if someone hadn't pointed it out to me. The actor has evidently spoken of a battle with alopecia, and I'd be curious to know if the hair loss has been addressed or commented upon in the series. But I daren't search anything until tomorrow.


I kind of love how Terese/Sophie and Lucy Robinson have blossomed from skinny teens into these big buxom Aussie women.

Absolutely, yes. I don't remember blonde Lucy at all from when she was younger. The last one I recall was the one we first saw when Lucy came back from Paris as a haughty teen. I found this difference a struggle, but she clicked with me a day or so ago during a conversation with Paul on a patio or terrace where I realised she resembled Helen Daniels from some angles. I like that she's still stirring the pot a little, as I do remember even Kylie Flinker's Lucy being quite spoilt and selfish at times.

As you said, it's quite a shock to see the physical difference between Sophie and Terese. It's so easy to forget that was over three decades ago. Back in her H&A days I found Sophie quite bland, she was just a generic, good-looking teenager. Grown-up Rebekah seems a far more interesting character and in a very short space of time I've grown quite fond of Paul's second Terry.



Terese/Sophie has a definite Sharon from Enders vibe about her as she glides from one set to another in a very efficient, businesslike manner while clearly on the verge of an emotional breakdown at all times.

I can completely see what you mean.

During a couple of scenes, I've seen a bit of Rowena Wallace in there as well.




I tuned into see the old faces returning, but at this rate it doesn't seem like there'll be room for them to do much but stand at the back and wave. It doesn't matter really now though. They've kind of become the icing on the cake.

Neighbours still works as a series for me and I'm surprised how quickly I've been able to invest. It makes the fact that it's ending that much sadder, but on the other hand if it wasn't ending I'd probably never have made the effort to watch.


There's no question in my mind it's going to go out on a high, but I wonder if my secret wish for a little Barry Crocker will be realised.
 

Pamela_E

Admin Emerita
LV
0
 
Awards
6
It's been a real treat tuning in for the last week or so. I only recognised a handful of the characters, but soon found myself rooting for them all (especially the poor bloke who just got dumped by Sophie from Home and Away). In some ways, it's more adult than I remember - I think the first scene I watched had someone entering a room doing up his trousers prompting a low-level knob joke from Toady, which would not have been acceptable in the '80s, and I don't think you'd have got a lengthy scene in bed between a nakedish man and woman either, much less between two men like there was the other day. Also, most of the older characters now walk around carting suitcases of emotional baggage, the result of living in a soap opera for a decade or three, which obviously wasn't the case when the show was only a few years old. But yes, it still has that sweet Neighbours-y innocence which seems far more touching and less laughable than it used to.

I love the idea of Jane as Gail Potter. I can also see a bit of Kathy Beale in there too, in that she's sort of not-your-grandma's-soap-matriarch, but still reactionary enough to keep the wheels of drama greased. Karl's son now looks more like Karl than Karl, who has turned into Paddy from Emmerdale, except for the competition advert he does halfway through each ep where he's recognisably Karl again. As some wag on Twitter pointed out, Shane is now played by Shirley Carter from EastEnders, but at the same time still looks incredibly cool. I kind of love how Terese/Sophie and Lucy Robinson have blossomed from skinny teens into these big buxom Aussie women. Terese/Sophie has a definite Sharon from Enders vibe about her as she glides from one set to another in a very efficient, businesslike manner while clearly on the verge of an emotional breakdown at all times. I'm not sure I'd recognise Ramsay Street itself, though. Has it had some sort of post-explosion makeover?

I tuned into see the old faces returning, but at this rate it doesn't seem like there'll be room for them to do much but stand at the back and wave. It doesn't matter really now though. They've kind of become the icing on the cake.

The Guardian has gone Neighbours mad this week:


The Guardian have been brilliant this week, I got one wrong on their Neighbours quiz.

I read somewhere that when Channel 5 took over it changed ratings, so it was able to be more adult. There have been quite a few scenes the past few weeks that would have Mrs Mangel turning in her grave.

David and Aaron had quite a sexy bed scene and I was not expected Jane's son sexy role play as I ate my ham sandwich at 1.30pm.

Jane is amazing, she still feels like Jane from the 80's, I watched her return where she got electrocuted by a lawnmower. So Jane! The Clark Kent of soap, all she did was take off her specs to become a super model.

I have really loved revisting Neighbours, it has a unique energy. I wish I had returned earlier as I have no idea who many of the returnees are.
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
I don't remember blonde Lucy at all from when she was younger. The last one I recall was the one we first saw when Lucy came back from Paris as a haughty teen.
I remember Adenoidal Lucy, the one playing rounders in the opening credits, and I remember her replacement who looked like a real-life version of one of those oversized china dolls you'd see advertised in the back of the Sunday supplements. Then I think there was another one, who I must have quite liked but have no memory of because when Melissa Bell first appeared I remember her actively disliking her in comparison to whomever she'd replaced.
my secret wish for a little Barry Crocker
Amen! Weirdly, I actually know someone who once won a competition to have his version of the theme played on the show for a year:

 
Last edited:

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
6
I watched NEIGHBOURS regularly when it aired in Germany, late 80s - early 90s for maybe four years, probably up to Mike Young's exit ('89 original broadcast). When I returned to Ramsay Street almost two weeks ago it felt very familiar. Some characters were easy to identify and appeared recognizable, the others relatable, a wonderful ordinary gay couple... and then Jane
and Mike back again... a really touching ending. Also the wedding video messages which gave former cast-mates a reason to be included in the finale. The build-up storyline for some well-known characters as Paul Robinson about moving away from Ramsay Street mirrored the show's fate. The careful use of flashbacks helped too. Susan reminiscing about the street and the neighbours with a little Angela-Channing-goodbye-vibe. Only "the land" is the cul-de-sac and populated with lots of people to illustrate the history. Including dead characters.
Probably the first time ever I saw a decent ending to a long-running drama serial. A well done and very enjoyable farewell. 9 of 10 tears. 1 minus because Guy Pearce had no shirtless scene.
 
Last edited:

Angela Channing

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
52
Susan reminiscing about the street and the neighbours with a little Angela-Channing-goodbye-vibe.
This was my first thought too. Her monologue about how special Ramsey Street was and the people who had passed through the neighbourhood over the years had strong echos of Angela's goodbye soliloquy to Falcon Crest. The whole episode was really well done because it gave the fans what they wanted by paying tribute to all their favourite characters from the past, providing closure to current storylines, the revival of a past storyline and it was all done to the backdrop of a celebration of the wedding of a popular character. Full credit to Guy Pearce for not just coming back to do a cameo, like Kylie and Jason, but to play a central part in the final Neighbours storyline.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Well, I thoroughly enjoyed the last episodes (and I'm impressed with myself for not falling asleep on the sofa as we headed towards 10pm).

It ticked all the right boxes and I thought the balance between the new and the nostalgic was excellent, with the integration between older and current characters really well done. As Angela said, it was really good to see Mike and Shane getting proper arcs. The outcome of Mike's was especially surprising. After the penultimate episode I thought how much I'd like to see a proper Jane/Mike reunion, but it seemed most improbable since the last two weeks seemed to be building slowly back to a Jane/Clive reconciliation.

Some of the cameos were quite shamelessly "here's an actor saying a fond goodbye". Kylie and Jason's return definitely fits into this category. Like Natalie Imbruglia and Delta Goodrem Holly Valance's chat, there was a bit of lip service to characters' names, but one felt it was just a bit of a lark. It wasn't Scott on the terrace of the Ramsay house saying "this is so surreal", but Jason Donovan. Which is fine. The overlap between characters and actors has always been a bit blurry and here we're all on the same page, with actors, characters and viewers returning after all these years and marvelling at how it all still feel instantly recognisable and right.

It's impressive so many former cast returned one way or another. And it's always good to see Des, even if the writers seemed (understandably) too busy to find a reason for him to be there

Fleeting references to past storylines and characters. along with nostalgic photos, the memory book and well-curated flashbacks couldn't fail to satisfy fans from every era and create a real sense of the series' rich history. We even got Jane donning her glasses again and Clive his gorillagram suit. Mike's whistle-stop tour of the houses was very welcome for picking up on things I'd spotted myself in the last couple of weeks, like the missing brick pillar in Des's old house (I kind of wish they'd devoted an entire episode to the house tour and had a blatant clip show with scenes linked by Jane and Mike, but it's impressive that they fitted these scenes in at all when there was so much going on).




Susan reminiscing about the street and the neighbours with a little Angela-Channing-goodbye-vibe.

This was my first thought too. Her monologue about how special Ramsey Street was and the people who had passed through the neighbourhood over the years had strong echos of Angela's goodbye soliloquy to Falcon Crest.

To me (not having seen FC), it reminded me very much of the closing narration to Desperate Housewives, right down to the inclusion of characters who'd died.




I remember Adenoidal Lucy

My Mum - who read far too many home doctor type books - diagnosed nasal polyps and was most put out they were never seen to.


and I remember her replacement who looked like a real-life version of one of those oversized china dolls you'd see advertised in the back of the Sunday supplements.

I'm laughing at this because it's deadly accurate.



Weirdly, I actually know someone who once won a competition to have his version of the theme played on the show for a year

Oh wow. And a visit to the set as well, by the looks of it.




The Guardian have been brilliant this week, I got one wrong on their Neighbours quiz.

I got a rather unimpressive 22/30. And most correct answers from beyond 1990 were pure guesswork.
 

Canon

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV
0
 
Awards
5
The best part was Philip Martin wandering in with just seconds to go. Actually there seemed to be a few who popped up in the final moments without it being addressed. Like this woman in pink...

Screenshot_20220730-104440_Twitter.jpg

Anyone know who she is? I'm guessing they weren't extras and would have had some significance.

And yes, as others have said, fair dues to Guy Pearce who really came back. Kylie obviously kept that Mini running while she filmed.
 
Last edited:

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
I have no solid recollections of Mike and Jane as a couple the first time around, but as soon as they clapped eyes on each other yesterday I was a blubbing goner till the end.
 

Pamela_E

Admin Emerita
LV
0
 
Awards
6
I have no solid recollections of Mike and Jane as a couple the first time around, but as soon as they clapped eyes on each other yesterday I was a blubbing goner till the end.

There is a lovely interview with Annie Jones and Guy together on the Neighbours twitter account.

They all seem so nice in real life too, Annie Jones stopped working for years because she looked after her mum who had dementia, then got the invite back to Neighbours.

I do wish her well, maybe Guy can get her a role in his next movie :)

In some weird way I want all the soaps to end so I can see how they finish them. I do find it quite exciting to see long running shows end. Obviously not good for the people who work on them, but I do wonder what the last episodes of our UK soaps would look like.
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
Guy Pearce playing Mike again is the Running Up That Hill getting to No 1 of TV, or Running Up That Hill getting to No 1 is the Guy Pearce playing Mike again of pop. One of the two.
 

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV
4
 
Awards
6
I've not watched the show for many many years but tuned into the final episode.

Making Mike and Jane the main storyline was genius and Guy and Annie were fantastic. Guy has had such a brilliant movie career, playing so many different types of people, but he is just so natural playing Mike - it was a joy to see, especially the moment Jane had to put the glasses back on.

The return of Kylie & Jason was nice, but a great shame we didn't see more interaction with other cast members - especially Mike & Jane, it was very obvious that they were never on set together and that was very disappointing - but by the magic of television it seems they did.

Overall a brilliant way to end a 37 year old series, no deaths, no explotions, no drama, just people being people and living their lives. I had a feeling that when all the houses were up for sale that all the old residents would buy them and move back...but maybe that's what the writers hoped people would think.

It was pure nostalgia and brilliantly executed.
 

Monzo

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV
1
 
Awards
9
14-years high in the UK for the finale, 13 years-high in Australia. 4.1% of the population in the UK saw the finale, in Australia it was 4.7% of the population. To be honest I was expecting more viewers with all the media attention, but I'm glad those who watched were happy with the finale.
 
Last edited:

Ollie james

Telly Talk Active Member
LV
0
 
Awards
4
Neighbours was beautiful I had a tear in my eye at the end all the way through Susan's monologue. It went out celebrating the show and so many former cast members returning was just perfect. Mike and Jane coming back together was inspired and felt right. Enjoyed the return of Scott and Charlene too and I appreciated the less is more approach in regards to there scenes. How fitting that the episode opened with Paul speaking before Susan's final words summed it all up. My only regret is the fact that I think Neighbours was in a good place and really shouldn't have been left go. Well done to all who pulled together this stunning celebration I for one became good friends with the Ramsey street gang over the years. ❤️❤️❤️
 

Rove

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
0
 
Awards
5
the stories seem to be based on things like biker gangs, illegal poker games, 20something triangles.
You're not wrong there. I rarely watch commercial television here in Oz and even less of Channel 7 however I'm currently watching The Commonwealth Games which 7 airs. During an ad break a what's coming up on Home & Away after the games finishes trailer popped up. For a brief moment I thought it was some new crime drama 7 were advertising as I didn't recognise any of the characters. I believe this trailer was played at the end of the last episode prior to H&A being rested for a couple of weeks but you'll get the drift...

 
Top