

Mamie (like Terry Moore) drastically overstates her importance and popularity during the 1950s. She has placed herself into so many situations involving Marilyn and Jayne, all accusations that can be debunked with a quick online search.Mamie published her autobiography, "Playing the Field", nearly forty years ago. Curious that she left out so many salacious or eventful details in her last "tell all" that would justify another memoir.
Her first book is available for free on the Internet Archive. I have no interest in re-reading it, but I couldn't remember if the book had a snapshot of Mamie with Marilyn or Jayne. Jayne, of course; no photos of Marilyn and Mamie because I doubt they were ever in the same room.
View attachment 59162

n saying that, I'm sure Mamie had at least a working relationship with Jayne, but Jayne apparently didn't hold a high opinion of Mamie. That doesn't stop Mamie for saying she gave Jayne career advice or that she unknowingly contributed to Jayne's death in June 1967 by asking her to swap singing engagements with her at a little supper club in Mississippi.
Mamie (like Terry Moore) drastically overstates her importance and popularity during the 1950s. She has placed herself into so many situations involving Marilyn and Jayne, all accusations that can be debunked with a quick online search.
It's odd to me that the interviewers never ask Mamie any obvious, probing questions about her claims. At least Jeanne Carmen would occasionally get asked by there are no photos of herself with Marilyn to bolster her claims of great friendship. Of course, Mamie has been a bit more slippery about her claims, keeping to at least semi-plausible encounters with Marilyn rather than scurrilous tales like Jeanne concocted.
Also interviewers often seem to have no sense of who Mamie actually was; they seem to think that as an actress in 50s films she was on par with Marilyn rather than a few steps ahead of being a bit-player.
I've never actually thought about it this way, but you're right. Mamie is never directly questioned about her "friendship" with Marilyn. I might be wrong, but I'm wanting to say I recall an interview from when Mamie was younger (say, in the 1980s) when she says she "barely knew" Marilyn. I'm not entirely sure, so I might be wrong on the details.It's odd to me that the interviewers never ask Mamie any obvious, probing questions about her claims. At least Jeanne Carmen would occasionally get asked by there are no photos of herself with Marilyn to bolster her claims of great friendship. Of course, Mamie has been a bit more slippery about her claims, keeping to at least semi-plausible encounters with Marilyn rather than scurrilous tales like Jeanne concocted.
This, I think, comes from Mamie's own overstating of her importance in the era, and we've said, the interviewers' lack of knowledge of anything before 2000.Also interviewers often seem to have no sense of who Mamie actually was; they seem to think that as an actress in 50s films she was on par with Marilyn rather than a few steps ahead of being a bit-player.
The twenty-first century seems to be largely unaware that the twentieth century ever happened.
I must admit there was a time where I felt Mamie was a stronger contender to dethroning Marilyn from her status as Hollywood's resident blonde bombshell, but I've since reassessed my view.
Yes, I was.You were bamboozled by Mamie herself.
You know, I've honestly never really thought about this, but how does she support herself? She doesn't frequent interviews, and while I suppose she going some money from her PLAYING THE FIELD "tell-all", I wouldn't think she's still getting money from it. But what do I know? I know she used to make appearances at THE HOLLYWOOD SHOW, and if memory serves, she tried to start her own reality show called THE LAST STARLET that never found a network home. Perhaps she's made investments that's helped sustained her financially.While Mamie's film career was negligible, I admit I find Mamie herself rather interesting; perhaps moreso than many more esteemed female stars. if I thought her memoirs were truthful, I'd be interested in reading about her real life.
I mean -- how has she supported herself? Her career, such as it was, ended decades ago. She didn't, as far as I know, marry into money; she also doesn't appear to have moved into a different career. As recently as a couple years ago, she was still selling recent nudies. I suspect there is an, uh, interesting side to her life that we'll never know.

So, now in 2026, a 95-year-old Mamie Van Doren says she was friends with Elizabeth Short (the victim of the infamous "Black Dahlia" murder) when she was like fifteen years old.
I honestly question every single thing Mamie says. There was once a time I considered myself something of a fan of Mamie, but those days are long gone. She fell out of the limelight in the mid-to-late-60s, and drug herself out of obscurity in the '80s riding the Marilyn nostalgia train. She overstates her importance and popularity during the era, and has placed herself in multiple situations with Marilyn and Jayne that can be easily debunked with a quick Google search.
View attachment 59508
You can get creative. Maybe get AI to generate a photo of her and her best friend Marilyn Monroe.I've never made a Mamie title card. Any suggestions for the background??