Dallas in the 90's

K

Karin Schill

Guest
Thank you for the feedback Sanda and Silvie. I do appreciate your comments. :)

Sanda, the reason Ray didn't call Jenna was because he wanted to separate from her. A decision he didn't inform Jenna of face to face but instead just left a note for her!

Silvie, there's a lot more of this story coming. This is just the build up...

In our next update it's time to revisit another character:



The same afternoon at Southfork, Ray was sitting in the office room, looking at a photo of Margaret in his wallet as he was trying to work up the courage to make a phone call to Washington. A part of him felt nervous about calling Donna, as he didn’t know what to say if Andrew Dowling answered the phone. Eventually he picked up the phone and dialed the number. Then he waited as the phone rang in the other end. Fortunately he was in luck and Donna picked it up herself.

“Hello?” He could hear Donna’s voice on the other end of the line, and hearing her voice he immediately knew that it had been way too long since they’d last talked. It was sad really, but ever since she had married that senator and he had married Jenna it was like they never got any reasons to call anymore.

“Hi Donna, it’s me,” he greeted her.

There was a pause of silence, before she asked, “Ray?”

“Yeah, how are you?”

“Good, you?”

“Good too,” the lie came easily over his lips. “Anyway I wanted to talk to Margaret, so is she in?”

“Oh no, I’m sorry Ray, but she’s not. She’s over at Staci’s place, Staci’s her best friend,” Donna explained.

Ray sighed, “Oh...that’s a shame, I’ve really missed her...”

“Yeah I can understand that...” Donna said, but didn’t say anything else that indicated that his daughter had missed him. Then there was this awkward silence again and it was just so weird. Because how could two people who used to love each other as much as we did, have turned into complete strangers in just a couple of years? Yet they had.

“Oh well I wanted to talk to you too...you’ll see I’m over at Southfork right now and...”

“What, at Southfork?” Donna sounded surprised.

“Yeah and since I’m in the states I would like to see Margaret,” Ray told her what was on his mind and Donna went silent. “That is I’d like for her to come down here and meet me,” he clarified and Donna sighed.

“That’s what I thought you meant, still I’m not so sure it’s a good idea. I mean you haven’t seen Margaret in years and...” Donna said hesitatingly.

“But come on Donna, please say I can see her, After all I am Margaret’s daddy and you did promise me that I could see her anytime I wanted when she was born.”

“Yeah I did but...you don’t think you can come up here instead?”

“I could, but I’d prefer it if Margaret came down here, it would give her a chance to get to know her family some...”

“Well you do have a point about that so alright, Margaret can come down and see you...”

“Thanks Donna I knew that...”

“Not so fast, there’s a condition Ray...”

“A condition?”

“Yeah, Margaret can go to Texas for a visit, if I can come with her...”

“Oh so that’s your condition?” Ray smiled.

“Yeah, you'll see I was thinking that since you haven’t seen Margaret in so long and she can’t really remember much from Dallas, I figured it would be better if I’d go too so she won’t feel so out of place. So do you think that’s okay with you and Jenna?”

Ray shifted uncomfortably at the mentioning of his wife's name, “Well I wouldn’t know about Jenna as she’s back in Europe...”

Donna was surprised to hear that, “Oh.”

“But it sure is fine by me,” Ray smiled.

“I’m glad,” Donna smiled.

“Me too, so how about if you’ll arrive here next week?” Ray suggested. “That way Miss Ellie and Clayton will be back at Southfork when you’ll arrive.”

“You know next week sounds just about right to me,” Donna smiled. “Of course I'll have to check with Margaret first, as we did have other plans for the summer…”

“Okay, you’ll do that and keep me posted on your travelling arrangements so I can pick you up at the airport,” Ray said before adding, “If you do decide to go to Texas that is.”

“Yeah I’ll definitely do that, bye Ray,” Donna smiled as she hung up, as suddenly the prospect of going to Dallas sounded very promising. She knew that it was probably wrong to feel this way, as Southfork, Dallas and Ray seemed so long ago and she did have a good life here in Washington D.C these days and yet a part of her couldn’t help but feeling really happy that Ray had called. Because when she’d heard his voice she’d realized just how much she’d missed him. So yeah even though it probably wasn’t wise, she couldn’t help but looking forward to going back to her past for a couple of weeks, as there was nothing like that good ol’ country air, family dinners at Southfork and Ray. Yes the thought of seeing Ray again really did make her feel happier than it should...
 

Mrs Bobby James Ewing

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV
0
 
Awards
6
Great update Karin. :)I love this story so much and I am excited that Donna and Margaret are coming home for a visit. :)I can't wait for Clayton and Miss Ellie to arrive home to Southfork after their cruise to a house full of family.:)
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
Thank you so much for the feedback. :)

Honkytonkangel, I'm glad that you like the idea of Donna coming back home. Yeah things will pick up when the whole family are back at Southfork again that's for sure. ;)

Sanda, Miss Ellie & Clayton is actually not on a cruise, but yes they will come back from their vacation to find Southfork more lively than it was when they left...

But first it's time for a bit more roadtrip. Here's another update:


In New Mexico, USA, Bobby, Pam and Rebecca were driving down the Interstate 10 East highway. They had recently passed by Las Cruces and were driving south towards the Mexican border. Pam was currently driving the car and Bobby was sitting in the front seat next to her. He was tired and had trouble keeping his eyes open. Rebecca, who was sitting in the backseat in between her many stuffed animals and toys was wide awake even though this road trip had started to bore her. “Mommy, aren’t we there soon?”

“No sweetie, I’ve already told you that we won’t get to Dallas until tomorrow.”

“Too bad,” Rebecca pouted. “I wanna meet grandma and Christopher now!”

“Well I’m glad you’re excited to meet them,” Pam smiled. “But you’ll just have to wait a little longer!”

“How much longer?”

“You’ll meet Christopher tomorrow and grandma later this week,” Bobby replied.

“Why can’t I see grandma tomorrow?” Rebecca wondered.

“Because she’s on vacation with Clayton,” Bobby explained.

“Oh,” Rebecca looked disappointed before asking, “So where did she go?”

“I’m not sure,” Bobby frowned. “They’re on some sort of golf trip. I think it was to one of the Caribbean islands.”

“How exciting, I also wanna go abroad!” Rebecca exclaimed, before pointing towards a road sign. “Hey look, that sign says Mexico can we go there?”

“No honey we can’t,” Pam laughed.

“Why not?”

“Because to go abroad you need a passport and you don’t have one,” Pam explained.

“Not fair I also wanna go abroad!” Rebecca pouted.

“So you’ve never been outside of the US?” Bobby asked.

“No,” Rebecca shook her head, “I’ve never even been outside of California before!”

“I see,” Bobby smiled. “So this road trip is exciting for you then?”

“Well it was at first,” Rebecca said. “But now I’m tired of going in this car. All you do is drive, drive and drive. You never stop anywhere except to eat and sleep…”

Bobby and Pam laughed at that and Bobby said, “Well that’s why they call it a road trip!”

“If that’s so, I don’t like road trips,” Rebecca complained. “My legs fall asleep from sitting still so long!”

Bobby turned to Pam and said, “She’s got a lot of energy doesn’t she?”

“Oh yeah she does,” Pam confirmed. “I have trouble keeping up with her most of the time!”

“I can understand why,” Bobby laughed. “I think I’ve forgotten what it’s like having young children…”

“Well you better get used to it,” Pam smiled. “Since Rebecca will always be a part of your life from now on!”

“Good,” Bobby nodded.

“Daddy?”

“Yes?”

“Are we stopping for dinner soon?”

“But Rebecca what have I told you about being patient?” Pam scolded Rebecca. “I mean we just had lunch an hour ago!”

“I know but I need to stop again!” Rebecca insisted.

“Why?” Bobby asked. “You aren’t hungry, are you?”

“No, but I need to go to the toilet!” Rebecca said and Bobby and Pam sighed, as they wished that they were in Dallas already, as there was something about travelling with a seven year old that could get very tiresome.
 

Mrs Bobby James Ewing

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV
0
 
Awards
6
Cute update Karin! :)Bobby,Pam, and Rebecca are so cute together. :) Bobby and Pam are so cool and so brave to travel with their daughter cross country from California to Dallas and to listen to her talk non stop to them for hours. :)
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
Thank you for the feedback. :)

Sanda, I'm glad you're enjoying the Bobby, Pam & Rebecca scenes.

BF, I'm so glad to see that you've caught up with this story and that you think it's nice so far. :)
Coincidentally my next update is actually a Miss Ellie & Clayton one. So enjoy. :)



Later that evening on the island of Jamaica, at the Sandals Golf and Country Club it was karaoke night. The room was packed with people, most of them in their 50s and older. They were all listening to an 82 year old gentleman who was standing on the stage singing, ‘You Were Always on My Mind’. As Clayton Farlow ended the song, the crowd applauded wildly and he smiled happily at his wife, Eleanor Ewing Farlow, a 79 year old lady with hazel eyes and light shoulder-length hair. She was dressed in a knee long sack dress. The Ewing matriarch was currently on another one of her vacations, as she was discovering the world in her old age. Yet no matter where she went a part of her always remained in Texas since that’s where her heart was. Miss Ellie loved the land of Southfork just like her ancestors did. When she was a young girl there was nothing she loved more than to ride down the ranch with her hair blowing in the wind. She loved cattle auctions and working the land with her father Aaron Southworth. These days she rarely rode horses anymore. She was more comfortable moving around the ranch in her car. Yet she still loved Southfork all the same and no matter where she went in the world there was always a longing inside of her for home.

Miss Ellie was strong, nurturing, down to earth, warm, supportive, wise, caring, motherly, honest, loving, tough and kind. She was the head of the Ewing family and someone who called the shots around the house. Although she was old-fashioned and wanted her man to be the head of the family and take charge of things, she was still the one who made most of the decisions. She was also the one who all her children and grandchildren turned to when they were in need of some advice. She was someone who they all respected and looked up to. She was also the only one who really could put JR in his place. No matter of how ruthless he could be in business when he was at home, he still acted like a child at times who wanted his mother’s approval. So Miss Ellie was a special woman who was like the glue that held her dysfunctional family together. She thrived in their company and was happiest when she had all of her children and grandchildren around her. For more than 40 years she had been married to Jock Ewing, a man who was stubborn, powerful, intelligent, tough, strong, independent and ambitious. Jock built up Ewing Oil from nothing and left his sons with an empire to run. He was a special man. After his death Miss Ellie had thought that she’d never love anyone ever again.

Yet she’d been blessed twice and only two years after his death she’d gotten remarried to Clayton Farlow. Clayton, like Jock, was an independent oil man who was also a ranch owner. He was stubborn, proud, loyal, honest, supportive, fair, powerful and loving. He was someone who brought out Miss Ellie’s lighter side and made her feel really happy again. He was in many ways the best thing that could ever have happened to her at that point of her life. Sure the love she had for Clayton was different from how she had felt about Jock. It was less about passion and more about companionship. But he was someone who she truly loved and who loved her enough in return to put up with her family. So in other words she was damn lucky to have found him.

Miss Ellie smiled, as an older lady in the audience, who stood next to her said, “What a marvelous voice your husband has!”

“So I’ve noticed,” Miss Ellie smiled. “He sure loves karaoke!”

Then all the attention turned back to the stage where Clayton started to sing the next song which was ‘Memory’.
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
aaw poor Rebecca. I can understand why she's bored though, and her excitement is really sweet.
LOVED Clayton and Miss Ellie at the karaoke bar. I wish we'd seen something like that on the show. I LOVE listening to Howard Keel sing.
 

Mrs Bobby James Ewing

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV
0
 
Awards
6
Cute update Karin. :)Clayton and Miss Ellie are so cute together on their vacation at the karaoke bar and they are my second favorite on the show next to Bobby and Pam. :) I love the scene on the show when Clayton sings to Miss Ellie when she is sick on their vacation in Galveston. :) :(
 
Last edited:
K

Karin Schill

Guest
Thank you for your feedback. :)

Honkytonkangel, I agree that Howard Keel was a marvellous singer. I love watching his musicals. :)
It's funny the first song I heard him sing was actually "JR! Who do you think you are?" and that song so does not do him justice! lol
And yes Rebecca is a typical child and hence travelling a long time in the car is boring to her, as it is to most children!

Sanda, I remember that scene where Clayton was singing to Miss Ellie on the show. I think due to scenes like that, it's not so far-fetched to imagine him singing karaoke.

Silvie, I'm glad that you enjoyed the introduction of Clayton & Miss Ellie. :)

Now it's time for another update and well after checking in with the oldest members of the family it's back to one of the youngest ones:



The next day in La Spezia, Italy, out on the schoolyard were a group of boys playing soccer. Lucas dribbled away from a boy and shot a goal. His teammates cheered and yelled in Italian, “Way to go Lucas!”

Lucas smiled, “Told you I hadn’t lost my touch while I was in the US!”

Then the school bell rang, signaling that the game was over. The boys sighed, as they started to walk towards the school building. Lucas walked in the middle of the group, as all his friends were eager to talk to him. A boy named Matteo asked, “So what was it like in the US?”

“Good, we drove over golden gate bridge and it was so cool!”

“Oh sounds cool,” a boy named Ivan said.

“Did you go to Disneyland?” A boy named Marco asked.

“No my sister lives in San Francisco. So it’s quite far from Disneyland,” Lucas replied.

“My family is going to Euro Disney this summer,” Matteo smiled.

“Cool,” Ivan smiled. “I wish I could go too.”

“Ah Euro Disney is not that special,” Lucas shrugged his shoulders. “However the car-ride up there along the French highway, that’s fun!”

The boys smiled and Matteo sighed, “I am sure, but we’re gonna fly there!”

“Bummer,” Lucas said.

“So Lucas will you be at the go cart practice on Sunday?” Marco asked.

“Of course if I can get mom or Charlie to drive me!”

“What about your dad?” Matteo asked.

“He’s still in the US!” Lucas replied. “He’s visiting my grandparents in Dallas!”

“Are you going there too after school is out on Friday?” Ivan asked.

Lucas shook his head, “Nope we’re going up to Gstaad!” The boys entered the classroom and took their seats. The teacher was already standing at her desk. She said in Italian, “Okay quiet down and take up your math books.” The kids did as they were told. Then the teacher went on, “Today we’re gonna work with fractions.” She started drawing on the board. “Now if we have one cake and six children, every child has one piece, how big is one child’s piece out of the whole cake?” Many of the children looked confused, but Lucas raised his hand eagerly. “Yes Lucas?”

“One sixth,” Lucas replied.

“Correct,” the teacher said and Lucas smiled, as he loved going to school. He had many friends there, the schoolwork was easy and it just felt great to be back in Italy again.
 

Toni

Maximum Member
LV
11
 
Awards
24
Hi Everyone!

After many years of reading all the other talented writers fanfics on this board I've finally decided to share my first and only Dallas story with you all. :)

This is a story that I originally began writing back in 1994 together with my sister since we didn't like the ending of the original Dallas and wanted to write a better ending. But somehow we kept writing on this story for 20 years and eventually we made some changes and added new scenes to older episodes as we began typing it into the computer a couple of years ago.

This story is very special to us and we have decided to only post it here, so it will be exclusive to this posting board community. We hope you will respect our wishes and not repost our story anywhere else.

The story picks up 4 years after the original Dallas ended and everything that happened on the show is canon. But the reunion movies and Dallas TNT series never happened in this story. So you can consider this an alternative universe of what could have happened after the original Dallas. I hope you will enjoy reading this. :)

Oh and feedback is always appreciated.

Enough said, so let's move on to the story,

Take care,
Love:
Karin.

View attachment 704

May 1995. Dallas, Texas, USA.



JR Ewing was an old fashioned Texan, a man who did whatever it took to protect his family, even if it meant taking the law into his own hands. He had been a powerful business man most of his life and he radiated an aura of power. He was quite successful too, even though some of his business methods were questionable. Yet he always excused every bad thing he did with that it was for the good of Ewing Oil, a company his father had built up and that his son one day would inherit. When he was younger he’d done everything he could to make his daddy proud of him in an attempt to earn his love and respect. In his need of his father’s approval he’d been greedy and hungry for power and success. After his father’s death he’d done everything he could to preserve the legacy for his son. In those days people used to fear him, as he could be ruthless, never caring who got hurt as long as he got what he wanted. Now however at age 56, the years had softened him some. His hair was grey and he’d lost some weight. But the main change wasn’t in his appearance but on the inside, as losing everything had forced JR to take one good hard look at his life.

Now when he knew the prize he’d paid for putting business first, he knew that some of the things he’d done in his past had been wrong. He was still an ambitious man who could be manipulative and selfish. Yet underneath his self-confident surface he could also be vulnerable and even insecure at heart. He could be brooding at times and he did have some regrets. Most of all he regretted having let the people he loved slip right through his fingers, since without his family his success in business didn’t mean much. So age had made him wiser in a sense. Not that he’d ever been dumb, as JR was an intelligent man who knew how to use his charm, wit, charisma and persuasive powers to get exactly what he wanted. He had a sharp tongue too and he could persuade pretty much any woman he set his eyes on to go to bed with him. Over the years he’d bedded so many women that he’d lost count of them. Yet they didn’t mean anything to him, as it was the chase that was important to JR. Once he’d had a woman he soon lost interest in her. Of course there had been one notable exception to that rule, as there was one woman who he had truly loved and lost.

JR looked around the busy room of the TV-studio, his blue eyes taking in the sight of the cameramen sitting behind their cameras, the microphones being rigged from the roof and the crewmembers running around trying to get the last minute details in order. Meanwhile he sat back comfortable in his armchair and threw a glance towards Roy Ralston, the TV-reporter who was going to interview him about Ewing Oil’s big oil strike in the middle east in a couple of minutes. Sitting here now, JR couldn’t help but remembering the last time when he’d been here. It was about 13 years ago and the only difference was that back then he’d still had his beautiful wife by his side. Thinking about Sue Ellen now he couldn’t help but smile a little, they had been pretty much newlyweds for the second time when that interview had taken place and he’d really wanted their marriage to work. But then of course he’d screwed everything up as he usually did with her. So sitting here now thinking of her and their 16 year old son, John Ross Ewing III who was all the way over in England, he couldn’t help but feeling a bit sad. Yet he didn’t really get that much time to think of the near and dear ones that had slipped through his fingers, as now the red lights went on, as the cameras started rolling and Roy started talking.

“Good morning Texas, this is Roy Ralston, live from Dallas. With me today in the studio is oil magnet Mr. JR Ewing who is here to talk about some of the hardships of his life,” Roy paused briefly and JR made a face, as he didn’t like the sound of the last sentence. Oh-uh, doesn’t sound like he’s interested in the oil, JR reflected and surely enough as Roy went on it became very obvious to JR what the man really wanted to talk about. “Mr. Ewing, what was it that made you try to commit suicide 4 years ago?” Roy asked bluntly.

JR had to grit his teeth very hard not to scream in annoyance, as this so wasn’t what he wanted to spend his morning talking about. Oh the fucking son of a bitch has double crossed me. His mistake, I’ll make sure to make him pay for it. No one messes with JR Ewing... The thoughts rushed through his head and yet he never showed it, as he was a man who certainly knew how to keep a poker face.

“Well there were many reasons...” he started off saying, dodging the question before the thought of Sue Ellen and John Ross, suddenly prompted him to start reminisce. “I guess I was depressed and had had a bit too much to drink. I felt like everyone had abandoned me and that I didn’t have that much left to live for, no wife, no sons and Cliff Barnes had taken over my Daddy’s company. So I guess you could say that I was just at an ultimate low where my world had crumbled...” JR explained, quite surprised at his own statement, as he’d never expected himself to be so honest. “I guess I was just thinking too much about my past and the people...” JR suddenly stopped mid-sentence as he’d realized that this so wasn’t what he was supposed to talk about and especially not on TV. So therefore he just finished with his best grin. “And well I really don’t remember anything more. In fact that whole night is mostly just a blur so...”

“Oh come on Mr. Ewing, I surely do believe you remember more...”

“Well Roy, even if I did what makes you think I would wanna share it with you?” JR threw the man an annoyed glance. “Unlike you I happen to think that people today deserves a little respect and privacy...” he said, which earned him some applauds from the audience.

“Okay, so let’s talk about your business instead, because I assume Cliff Barnes doesn’t own your daddy’s company anymore?” Roy who knew he was beaten quickly changed the subject.

“Hell no!” JR shook his head. “My brother Bobby and I took back the company about two years ago, so Ewing Oil is back where it belongs, in the safe hands of us Ewings. Because let me tell you this, no one double crosses old JR and gets away with it,” he looked straight at Roy when he said it and knowing he’d brought the man there with false premises Roy could feel himself starting to get nervous. Because it was certain that the other man wasn’t just giving empty threats. No if JR Ewing threatened someone he did mean business.

“Well that’s good to know,” Roy laughed nervously, “which reminds me of the real reason I brought you here, to congratulate you on that big oil strike in the Middle East.”

“Well thank you Roy,” JR smiled, as he sized the other man up, trying to make up his mind as to whether he was worth going after or not. “That oil strike sure is good for Ewing Oil, it’s one of the biggest strikes in the Saudi Arabia and it will give us lots of new crude to refine.”

“That’s good to hear, so what does this oil mean for the average American?” Roy asked. “I know in the past Ewing Oil has been known to reduce the prize of gasoline, so any plans to do this again?”

“At the time no, still you’ve got one thing right, Ewing Oil does care for the little man and we do try our best to look after our employees,” JR grinned and Roy nodded like a fool. “In fact I think that’s our contribution to the Texans right now, to keep people employed.”

“Yeah employment is a good thing,” Roy agreed.

“Yeah and speaking of which, I do have an oil company to run. So as much as I’d love to stay and chat with you I need to get back to the office. We have a ton of work to do, and especially today with Bobby away on that business trip,” JR quickly finished the conversation and Roy concluded the segment by saying;

“And there we saw Mr. JR Ewing, now if you’ll stay tuned over our commercial break and we’ll be right back with a country music star that you surely don’t want to miss! Later.” Roy finished and JR then shook hands with the man and then decided not to go after the sleazy TV reporter after all before he left the studio with memories of Sue Ellen and John Ross still lingering on his mind...

I think this first entry is just great! Using only a few paragraphs, you catch us up with the Ewings, remind us the last we saw of them, bring back a minor character (Roy Ralston) that might´ve been used more in the original series, and give us a really profound analysis of J.R.´s psyche. Not to mention that you leave the reader asking for more... (Oh my, 4 pages already!!)

:bravo:

PS: That Ralston made me think of "Knots"´s Sid Fairgate (Don Murray), though Ralston sounded more like a tricky salesman than St. Sid ever did...
 

Mrs Bobby James Ewing

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV
0
 
Awards
6
Great update Karin! I love reading about Bobby's son Lucas's life in Italy. I am so happy that you and your sister Jenny are acknowledging Bobby and Jenna's son Lucas in your story. The writers of TNT's Dallas should have acknowledged Bobby and Jenna's son Lucas and brought him on their show and made Bobby be a father to him after the writers of orginal Dallas made the fans endure Jenna's pregnancy and Bobby and Pam agruing Bobby and Jenna's baby after they got remarried during their season togetheand then out of nowhere Bobby decides not to be a father to Lucas and concentrate on Christopher because he is adopted after Pam's accident. :(
 

Toni

Maximum Member
LV
11
 
Awards
24
Thank you so much for your feedback. :)

Sanda, I'm glad that you love the story already. :)

Honkytonkangel, I loved reading your detailed feedback. :)

Also since you both wanted more here's the next scene:


Sue Ellen Ewing Lockwood kept walking back and forth on the patio that was facing the backyard of her London home. The Lockwood Estate was a typically English mansion, located in the posh Kingston-upon Thames area in the outskirts of London. The house had a brown brick and white stone façade with white windows and two English chimneys. There was a gravel path leading up to the mansion which was surrounded by a big yard with a well moved lawn. Sue Ellen had lived there for almost five years now and to begin with she’d been happy living in England. But unfortunately that was not the case anymore. Looking out over her garden with its swimming pool, tennis court, fish pond and lots of fruit trees she can’t help but wondering how she ended up here. It was a beautiful place and anyone should be happy to live here. But she was not and if she was honest with herself, she hadn’t been for a long time.

Sue Ellen was a tall, beautiful lady who was always gracious and well-dressed. Her longish blond hair was carefully styled and her nails were carefully manicured. She was a passionate woman who was ruled by her emotions and she was vulnerable. If you looked into her hazel eyes you’d see the sensitivity of her soul. Yet at the same time she was also a smart, independent business woman who had total control over herself. It had taken her many years to get here though, as in her 48 years she’d been through a lot. Most of it caused by having spent almost all her adult life being married to JR Ewing, since their marriage had mostly seemed like one big roller coaster ride with lots of ups and downs.

When she’d married JR she’d been a naïve 23 year old beauty queen who had been raised by her controlling Mama. A woman who was of the opinion that a woman’s only chance of moving up in life was by marrying rich. So she had fulfilled what was expected of her and found herself the perfect husband. To the outside world, JR had seemed like a catch and as she was a romantic at heart she’d fallen deeply in love with him. He had been her first love and at first everything had been wonderful. Her mother had taught her that a woman’s only duty was to be a good wife and a mother and she’d tried so hard to live up to that. On the surface they had had the perfect marriage and she’d been the perfect trophy wife. But underneath it all they’d been miserable. At first she hadn’t understood why, but then she’d finally seen him for the lying, cheating bastard that he was. He had broken her heart and scattered it into little pieces. Seeking comfort and revenge she’d gotten involved with other men. Each time she’d convinced herself that she loved her new lover, yet ultimately she’d always ended up hurt. Eventually she’d divorced JR, taking their young son with her, even if it had broken her own heart in the process. At first she’d thought that she could move on and be truly happy with another man, but in the end she’d returned to JR. In retrospect she could see that she might have cared deeply for the other men, but she’d never loved anyone else the same way that she loved JR. So she’d married him for the second time, only to have her heart broken all over again.

Not wanting to cope with the failure of her marriage she had turned to the bottle. Back then she used to blame JR for her alcoholism, but the years had made her wiser. She now knew that it was her problem and although he had worked as the trigger, he could not be held responsible for her actions. It was when she’d come to that realization that she’d learnt to stay sober. It was all about will power and today she was doing ok. She was remarried, her teenage son was living with her and she’d made a new life for herself on the other side of the world. But her marriages to JR had left her with a lot of scars. It had hardened her and made her stronger, but also made her bitter and guarded. She didn’t trust men as easily anymore and maybe that was a part of the problem that she and her new husband Don Lockwood were facing. They had been married for almost five years now so the honeymoon period of their marriage was most definitely over. She had met him while filming her first movie, which was based on her life with JR and unfortunately that very movie had turned into a cause of argument between them. Lately all they seemed to do was argue about that damn movie and so they were this afternoon.

“Oh come on Sue Ellen, let’s release the Ewing movie, I truly believe that’s our one chance to hit it real big at the box office!” Don Lockwood tried once again to persuade his wife into releasing the movie they had produced together almost 6 years ago.

Looking over towards her husband Sue Ellen could feel her blood boil with anger. He was such a typical Englishman with a morose look. When she’d first met him she’d found that cute, as she’d adored his dark curly hair, green eyes and cute dimples. But right now when they were involved in yet another intense argument she didn’t find it that cute anymore. “No Don!” She said firmly. “I’ve given it a lot of consideration and I’ve come to realize that the movie doesn’t only make an asshole out of JR, it makes me look bad as well not to mention the rest of the Ewings and...”
“Yeah but wasn’t that the point?” Don cut her off. “I mean you wanted them to look bad and besides you were the one who wanted to make this movie,” Don reminded her.

“I know that,” Sue Ellen sneered, as she didn’t like being reminded of the obvious. “But that was just to get back at JR and as sweet as the taste of revenge might be I really can’t go through with it anymore.”

“But why not?” Don whined. “Don’t you see that this is our one shot at getting unbelievably rich?”

Seeing the greed reflecting in his green eyes made Sue Ellen frown in disgust as she wondered just when Don had gotten so obsessed with money, as he seemed to be now. “I am already rich!” Sue Ellen reminded him. “Besides I know better than anyone that money can’t buy you the things that are most important in life, like true happiness for instance. You can have all that money and still not be happy. I know for sure as I’ve been there, being married to JR put me on top of the social elite, you know?”

“Yeah, yeah I know,” Don sighed, as he really hated hearing about the all mighty JR Ewing. Because no matter how many years he and Sue Ellen had been married he still couldn’t shake the feeling of being inferior whenever her ex-husband was mentioned. His wife didn’t seem to notice his feelings though, as she happily kept talking about her past.

“It’s funny, I remember how I had everything I’d ever wanted, I was the president of the daughters of the Alamo, had the most wonderful home, JR always got me expensive gifts, cars, jewelry, nice clothes and yet it was like there was a piece of me always missing...”

“Yeah, I know that, still the reason you weren’t happy then was because you were married to the wrong man and well I know that some money would do me good and...”

“No Don! Like I’ve said, money’s not worth it,” Sue Ellen insisted. “All that movie would do is make me look like a fool.”

“Oh come on Sue Ellen, it wouldn’t, if anything it makes you look like a victim,” Don said softly. “JR on the other hand looks like a fool, as he had a great wife like you and he let you go...”

“Thanks,” Sue Ellen smiled before going on. “Still it wouldn’t be worth it. I mean as much as I’ve hated JR and wanted to make him pay for everything he’d put me through, I’m not ready for the whole world to know that I was a drunk and as for JR. He is still John Ross’ father and the relationship between them has already been strained during the past couple of years so I wouldn’t want to add to that. Then there is Miss Ellie to consider and Bobby and…” Sue Ellen hesitated for a moment, “well even JR...”

“JR?” Don asked puzzled.

“Yeah I guess time has worked its magic, I don’t hate him anymore and thinking about him doesn’t hurt the way it used to. So I guess that I’m just over him and then it’s better to leave the past in the past where it belongs rather than...”

The phone interrupted her before she had a chance to finish. Sue Ellen and Don exchanged a glance before Don picked it up and after listening for a while his face went grim and he handed the phone over to Sue Ellen with the words, “Speaking of the devil...its JR for you.”

“JR?” Sue Ellen echoed. It was silly but just saying his name made her heart skip a beat in her chest. “I wonder what he wants?” Sue Ellen mumbled puzzled, as she walked up to the phone, answering it, “Sue Ellen here.”

“Hello Darling, how good to hear your voice,” JR greeted her. “It’s been too long since we last were in touch, don’t you think?”

Hearing his voice on the line Sue Ellen immediately knew that what she’d just told Don was a lie. Damn! That man sure got a way with words, I wonder if I’ll ever get completely over him? Sue Ellen reflected, as it did feel good to hear his voice again. Yet rather than to let JR know that, she tried her best to keep up her walls of defense. “JR, you have no right to talk to me like that. I’m not your darling anymore and I thought I’ve made myself perfectly clear that we have nothing to talk to each other about.”

“Oh come on darling, why so hostile?” He tried to get through to her. “You make it sound like you hate me or something and you don’t really have anything against ol’ JR, do you?”

“What do you want?” Sue Ellen remained calm, as she wouldn’t let herself fall for his poor me act again.

“Are you forgetting that you have the custody of my son?” JR reminded her. “I want to talk to him of course, I just figured I’d be polite to you first, but if I’d known you’d be like this I wouldn’t even have bothered.”

“That’s the JR I know, as charming as ever,” Sue Ellen said sarcastically.

“So can you put John Ross on?” JR asked. “Because I do have the right to talk to my own son...”

“Our son JR,” she reminded him. “Hold on, I’ll see if he wants to talk to you.” Sue Ellen then left the phone and went indoors to find her son.

First of all, I envy your description of Sue Ellen´s home, it makes me think of Agatha Christie´s style whenever she started a new novel. It´s very important to know where the characters are going to be walking around, talking and, ahem, killing. Once this is done, let´s jump into action.

It´s funny how different people can continue the same stories in different ways but keeping the basics, and here I´m talking about my own version of Sue Ellen´s life with Don. I won´t go further on my stories, just mention that while you decided that Don might become slightly (?) greedy, I just chose to feature him just like the same guy he was in TOS. And in both cases, I´m afraid that poor Don comes through as a total bore, no doubt that Sue Ellen is feeling bored with him. Anyway, I hope Mr. McShane will be luckier than down here:
images

As usual, your dialogues for our Sue are completely (and fabulously) in-character, and it´s like watching the season that was never filmed. Your style is very visual, I just imagine every scene in my mind so easily, and such complex characters (and though, so easy to spoof or simplify) as J.R. and Sue Ellen, are a delight when they clash again, even through the phone line!
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
Thank you everyone for your feedback. It is much appreciated. :)

Shan, I'm glad to see that you have caught up with this story and that you like it so much.
I don't think I could have asked for a better grade. :)

Sanda, I happen to know that the plan was to bring in Lucas and probably Jenna and Ray in Dallas TNT season four and that it would generate new interest in the show which would give them a season four and five etc.
Unfortunately I think CC miscalculated, because if she'd brought them in already in season three I think we would have had a season four... :(

Anyway my sister and I wanted Jenna, Charlie and Lucas to be a part of our story. An interesting sidenote though, in the original draft they were not in the story, as we started writing this before we had seen all of the show. But after we'd seen the Jenna years we decided to add them. So in the first draft the Wades didn't appear until the end of episode three. So all the early stuff with them are recently written scenes. ;)

Toni, I'm so excited to see that you've started reading my story. :danc:
I'll look forward to read what you think of the rest of it.

First of all, I envy your description of Sue Ellen´s home, it makes me think of Agatha Christie´s style whenever she started a new novel. It´s very important to know where the characters are going to be walking around, talking and, ahem, killing. Once this is done, let´s jump into action.

lol you now have me picturing a murder in her backyard pool or maybe someone "drowning" in the fish pond. But who did it?
Was it the maid? Or maybe the gardener?
I have read a couple of Agatha Christie's book. I don't think she's been a big influence on me, but I've enjoyed the books of hers that I've read.


As usual, your dialogues for our Sue are completely (and fabulously) in-character, and it´s like watching the season that was never filmed. Your style is very visual, I just imagine every scene in my mind so easily,

I think this is the greatest compliment you could have given me. Thank you! :hat:

Will post the update in a separate post so it will be easier to find.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
K

Karin Schill

Guest
The sun was shining down from a clear blue Texas sky and it was hot in the car, as Bobby and Pam were driving on highway Interstate 30. They had just passed by Fort Worth and could now see the familiar Dallas skyline shot up ahead of them. Seeing the familiar buildings from a distance Pam could feel the butterflies start to roam around in her stomach. Because now it wouldn’t be long until they’d reach Southfork and knowing what awaited her there she was getting nervous. Sitting there next to Bobby, watching him drive she got a sense of déjà vu. Because this was not the first time Bobby had brought her home to Southfork to meet his family. Only difference is Rebecca’s presence in the backseat, watching her little girl looking out of the window excitingly taking in her new surroundings Pam was reminded of how much that had changed since Bobby first brought her to Southfork. Back then she’d been a 25 year old bride, eager to make a life with her new husband. Now she was a 42 year old mother of two. Even though I haven’t been much of a mother to Christopher for years, Pam bit her lip as she couldn’t help but wonder how her son was going to react when he saw her. Will he be happy that I’m back or will he reject me? Pam pondered, as she had no idea of how to mend the relationship with her son and it was not the only relationship that needed mending. Will Cliff welcome me back or is he still hurt that I refused to come home? Pam wondered, as a troubled expression graced her face.

Noticing the expression of Pam’s face Bobby asked her, “What’s the matter Pam?”

“Oh nothing…” Pam brushed it off. “I was just thinking about everyone waiting for us in Dallas…there’s Christopher and then there’s Cliff and…” Pam paused for a moment before she went on. “Bobby how’s Cliff?”

“Um…” Bobby paused for a moment, as he really didn’t feel like discussing Cliff Barnes.

“Please Bobby, I need to know. I mean he was so broken hearted when I refused to come back to Dallas with him that time he came to see me…”

“I know,” Bobby sighed, as this was a discussion he didn’t want to have. But knowing how important it was to Pam he went on. “I’m sorry Pam. But I haven’t talked to Cliff in months so I don’t know for sure. We are not the greatest friends right now as JR and Cliff have continued the family feud so...”

“The Barnes-Ewing feud?!” Pam exclaimed. “Oh Bobby is that thing ever gonna end?”

“Doesn’t seem like it,” Bobby replied. “Unfortunately, I mean we tried to end it after you’d left, I even had Cliff and JR working with me at Ewing Oil for a while...”

“Cliff and JR working together?” Pam’s eyes widened, as if she couldn’t believe her ears.

“Yeah, but naturally that didn’t last, I mean all it took was one stupid tanker accident and then it all fell apart and Cliff was back to his crusades against us Ewings again.”

“Oh well at least you tried,” Pam said. “And well speaking of Cliff and JR, I’m starting to have second thoughts about this...”

“What do you mean second thoughts?” Bobby asked. “Don’t tell me that you’re already regretting your decision to come back to Dallas with me...”

“No I don’t regret it. I’m just a bit worried about the reception we’re going to get, that’s all. I mean surely JR won’t be thrilled that I’m coming back home.”

“Oh don’t worry about him Pam, JR is JR and he’s never liked you and we’ve handled him before so I'm sure we can do it again,” Bobby tried to calm her down. “No the one you really should be worried about is Christopher.”

“Christopher?”

“Yeah as hurt as he was when you left us you’ll be lucky if he’ll ever forgive you...” Bobby explained.

Pam could feel a lump form in her throat at the thought of her son not wanting anything to do with her anymore, since it just hurt like hell, “That bad huh?”

“That bad,” Bobby confirmed. “Still I guess we’ll be fine, as after all it’s just a visit anyway so if it doesn’t work out, it doesn’t work out,” Bobby tried to take lightly on the whole thing. Even though it was hard to do that, as there was nothing in this world that he’d like more than having Pam and Rebecca living permanently at Southfork with him and Christopher. But he also knew that if it came down to a choice between his son and his ex-wife and daughter there was no way he’d turn his back on his son. Because after spending the past 8 years together as father-son team he wouldn’t let anyone break them apart, not even Pam.

“A visit?” Their daughter finally made her presence known. “But Mama I don’t understand. I thought you said that we were gonna move into that big ranch house?” Rebecca protested and her words made Bobby raise his eyebrows in surprise, as it suddenly occurred to him that Pam seemed to think of this as something much more permanent than just a visit.

“But Rebecca! You have to stop imagining things, I know that you’re happy that you’ve met your daddy but to say that it’s not just polite,” Pam tried to smooth things over but it was to no use, as Bobby still knew how to see right through her. In fact Pam’s comment just confirmed what he already knew, that if it were up to her she would be back for good.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Mrs Bobby James Ewing

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV
0
 
Awards
6
Great update Karin!:) I love this story so much. Bobby, Pam, and Rebecca are so cute together. :)I hope Pam's reunion goes well with her and Bobby's son Christopher and that the four of them will get live together as a family at Southfork. :)
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
Thank you Sanda. :)
You'll soon find out how Pam's reunion with Christopher will go but first it's time to revisit one of the last main characters...


Over at Cliff Barnes’ office, Cliff was sitting by his desk staring out in space as there wasn’t that much going on this afternoon or any other day for that matter, as business had been unusually slow ever since the Ewing Brothers had swindled him out of ‘Ewing Oil’ two years ago. Sure he had an oil company and with a little more care ‘Barnes Oil’ might have been huge. But these days Cliff just didn’t care as much about the oil business anymore, since as he was getting older he’d more and more started to realize that he’d spent too much of his time feuding JR and less time building up the one thing that lasted – a family of his own. He’d had his chances with Afton and with Jamie and then finally with Liz. But somehow he’d managed to screw them up royally and although it had never bothered him then. It did bother him now, as the years certainly hadn’t been kind to him.

Cliff was only 51 but he looked much older than that, as his hair had gotten grey and had started to wear thin and worst of all he didn’t only look older, he sounded older too, as his voice had gotten more fragile. It was the result of years of living an unhealthy lifestyle. Too consumed with his hatred against the Ewings he’d neglected other things like eating healthy, exercising or just enjoying life. He had worked late hours, eaten takeout food and compromised on his sleep most of his adult life. He had also spent many sleepless nights worrying about going bankrupt when business had gone bad and unfortunately that was a lot of the time, as Cliff was known to be a bit of a looser. It was a term he hated himself and yet he had lost his girlfriends, his wife, Ewing Oil and his child.

Despite this there was still a passion about him, as Cliff Barnes never willingly backed out of a fight. He was a stubborn man who was passionate, bitter, impulsive, bright, impatient, hot-tempered, vulnerable, greedy, insecure, ambitious, self-absorbed and power hungry. Having been abandoned by his mother as a child he was also needy, he wanted someone to love him and was better at taking than giving love. Cliff scratched his head, sitting there now he was trying to figure out just who it was who had outbid him on the Gold Everest 804 off shore leases that his company so desperately had needed. It was strange since he’d been sure that he’d had the leases in the bag and then all of a sudden some new little company had come on the scene and stolen it right from under the nose of him. Naturally Cliff knew better than that and he was half convinced that the company was just some dummy corporation for a bigger oil company. Only question was which one?

Sitting there trying to figure it out Cliff’s thoughts were suddenly interrupted by that his secretary Jackie Dugan buzzed him on the intercom, “Cliff, there’s a Mr. Johnson on line one.”

“Thanks Jackie,” Cliff smiled to himself, crossing his fingers that it might be good news, as he picked up the phone. “So Johnson what do you’ve got for me this time?”

“Oh you’ll be very pleased Mr. Barnes. You’ll see I’ve found her.”

“Well good that was about time,” Cliff smiled pleased. “So where was she this time as you had such a hard time to track her down?” Cliff asked. “Back in Mississippi?”

“Um actually Mr. Barnes it’s sort of funny I’ve been looking all over the world for Miss Cooper and her daughter and all the time she’s been right under our noses.”

“Oh really?” Cliff’s raised one eyebrow, as that had caught his attention. “So she’s nearby?”

“Very.”

“Come on Johnson let’s not beat around the bush. You know where she is so why the hell won’t you tell me?”

“Oh of course Mr. Barnes, funnily it turns out that Ms. Cooper and her daughter are in Dallas. You’ll see I traced her and her daughter…”

“My daughter,” Cliff interrupted the man.

“Okay your daughter,” Johnson amended himself before going on, “to Dallas. They live in a town house over at 12798 West Part Ridge.”

“Ah great and that’s West Part Ridge, which number?” Cliff wondered as he started to scribble something down on a piece of paper.

“12798, Mr. Barnes.”

“Okay great, got it.”

“Good and you’ll have that full report on your desk by tomorrow…”

“Thanks that’s great, I’ll have your check ready by then,” Cliff promised.

“Thank you Mr. Barnes.”

“You’re welcome Mr. Johnson and now if you’ll excuse me I’m off to see Afton and my daughter…” Cliff grinned. Since his heart was all set on finding Afton and their daughter he refused to lose any more time.

“But Cliff there’s no use in…”

Cliff grinned, as he hung up the phone without hearing the other man out. Finally that private detective paid off, Cliff reflected to himself, as he hurried to pick up his briefcase and hurried out of his office. Passing by Jackie’s desk he quickly said. “Okay that’s it for today Jackie. I’ll take the rest of the day off…”

“But Cliff…” Jackie tried her best to remind her boss of the appointment with Marilee Stone that he still had scheduled for later this afternoon. But unfortunately her boss just walked out the door without even listening…
 
Top