Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Willie Oleson" data-source="post: 440472" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>I was thinking about buying the soundtrack, Music To Buy Dual Format Editions By, but according to discogs it was never released on CD.</p><p>I also love the closing credits song "Lockets & Stars" sung by Margi Clarke herself.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Running On Empty (1988)</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]59112[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>This was suggested to me when were discussing <em>The Mosquito Coast</em>, but with more titles added to the to-watch list <em>Running On Empty</em> was pushed to the bottom of that list. And that's not fair.</p><p>From River Phoenix's character's point of view the story's premise is rather similar to Mosquito: determined parents who have created a very alternative way of living for their two sons which, again, ties in with River's real-life eccentric upbringing.</p><p>It's almost like a sort of typecasting that spills over into fiction.</p><p></p><p>Movie parents Danny and Annie Pope are wanted by the FBI for an act of terrorism committed in the 1970s when they were still young and counterculture idealistic.</p><p>Changing residence, work, school, names and even hair colour, they've all accepted the situation because the most important thing is to stay together.</p><p>Until, of course, it is <em>not</em> acceptable anymore and this becomes the major conflict in this story.</p><p>I can't say that there are many surprises in the plot, the premise seems quite self-explanatory and I was already familiar with the situation because the conclusion is very similar to my all-time favourite ending of a certain TV series.</p><p>And this means I also need to watch <em>Little Nikita - </em>it looks like a River Phoenix Trilogy based on the same themes.</p><p></p><p>I don't count myself as a member of the Worship River Club but it doesn't take a lot of imagination that some people do feel that way about him.</p><p>He was an amazingly natural talent and he simply exuded a rare kind of wholesomeness, all this magnified by his tragic and untimely death. And that's when you get comments like "he was too good for this world". Maybe there's some truth in it, I don't know.</p><p>As for the rest of the Pope family, the parents come across as somewhat selfish which mercifully nips the potential schmaltz in the bud. Or at least as much as can be expected of a story like this.</p><p>Initially, I found the little brother played by Jonas Abry (another actor with a mini acting career) very irritating but after a while I changed my mind and I think he played it very well. Exactly what a hyper and irritating little brother looks like.</p><p>After <em>Mosquito</em>, River reunites on screen with his real-life girlfriend Martha Plimpton. They make for an interesting pairing therefore it seemed like a sensible thing to do. For those who still haven't seen Martha in <em>Mass</em> (2021), please do. It's such an extraordinary piece of acting art.</p><p></p><p>Shame on me for putting off watching RUNNING for so long.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Willie Oleson, post: 440472, member: 8"] I was thinking about buying the soundtrack, Music To Buy Dual Format Editions By, but according to discogs it was never released on CD. I also love the closing credits song "Lockets & Stars" sung by Margi Clarke herself. Running On Empty (1988) [ATTACH type="full"]59112[/ATTACH] This was suggested to me when were discussing [I]The Mosquito Coast[/I], but with more titles added to the to-watch list [I]Running On Empty[/I] was pushed to the bottom of that list. And that's not fair. From River Phoenix's character's point of view the story's premise is rather similar to Mosquito: determined parents who have created a very alternative way of living for their two sons which, again, ties in with River's real-life eccentric upbringing. It's almost like a sort of typecasting that spills over into fiction. Movie parents Danny and Annie Pope are wanted by the FBI for an act of terrorism committed in the 1970s when they were still young and counterculture idealistic. Changing residence, work, school, names and even hair colour, they've all accepted the situation because the most important thing is to stay together. Until, of course, it is [I]not[/I] acceptable anymore and this becomes the major conflict in this story. I can't say that there are many surprises in the plot, the premise seems quite self-explanatory and I was already familiar with the situation because the conclusion is very similar to my all-time favourite ending of a certain TV series. And this means I also need to watch [I]Little Nikita - [/I]it looks like a River Phoenix Trilogy based on the same themes. I don't count myself as a member of the Worship River Club but it doesn't take a lot of imagination that some people do feel that way about him. He was an amazingly natural talent and he simply exuded a rare kind of wholesomeness, all this magnified by his tragic and untimely death. And that's when you get comments like "he was too good for this world". Maybe there's some truth in it, I don't know. As for the rest of the Pope family, the parents come across as somewhat selfish which mercifully nips the potential schmaltz in the bud. Or at least as much as can be expected of a story like this. Initially, I found the little brother played by Jonas Abry (another actor with a mini acting career) very irritating but after a while I changed my mind and I think he played it very well. Exactly what a hyper and irritating little brother looks like. After [I]Mosquito[/I], River reunites on screen with his real-life girlfriend Martha Plimpton. They make for an interesting pairing therefore it seemed like a sensible thing to do. For those who still haven't seen Martha in [I]Mass[/I] (2021), please do. It's such an extraordinary piece of acting art. Shame on me for putting off watching RUNNING for so long. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top