Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Mel O&#039;Drama" data-source="post: 435829" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>The name is very familiar. I don't think I've seen it, but I have a sneaking feeling we may have briefly touched upon it when I was at school, probably either in Drama or English Literature class.</p><p></p><p>Already the Liverpudlians escaping to Wales factor has reminded me of <em>One Summer.</em></p><p></p><p>I'll aim to watch it sooner rather than later, as I know these things are apt to vanish at will.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Oh, this has reminded me of something I forgot to mention about <em>Kes</em>, and that's how judiciously the music was used. It felt like there were a few scenes early on where the imagery was warm and lovely (Billy walking in fields or woodland, I'm thinking) and it was accompanied by this whimsical 1970s flutey music that made it feel almost like <em>Wind In The Willows</em>. It kind of played against the tone of the film, but I found it hopeful.</p><p></p><p>Later in the film, when Billy was giving his talk in the classroom about training Kes, it suddenly dawned on me that there was no music, and there hadn't been for a while. It's exactly the kind of scene that in a lesser film would have been underscored with poignant music, but the lack of it was what made the scene achieve its full potential. I don't think there was any more music until the closing scenes. Or if there was, I was too immersed in the story to notice.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>This is a new one to me. It is on Prime, but seems they'd want me to pay for it, so I'll keep an eye out for that changing as these things tend to rotate.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Thanks, both, for the recommendations.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Mel O'Drama, post: 435829, member: 23"] The name is very familiar. I don't think I've seen it, but I have a sneaking feeling we may have briefly touched upon it when I was at school, probably either in Drama or English Literature class. Already the Liverpudlians escaping to Wales factor has reminded me of [I]One Summer.[/I] I'll aim to watch it sooner rather than later, as I know these things are apt to vanish at will. Oh, this has reminded me of something I forgot to mention about [I]Kes[/I], and that's how judiciously the music was used. It felt like there were a few scenes early on where the imagery was warm and lovely (Billy walking in fields or woodland, I'm thinking) and it was accompanied by this whimsical 1970s flutey music that made it feel almost like [I]Wind In The Willows[/I]. It kind of played against the tone of the film, but I found it hopeful. Later in the film, when Billy was giving his talk in the classroom about training Kes, it suddenly dawned on me that there was no music, and there hadn't been for a while. It's exactly the kind of scene that in a lesser film would have been underscored with poignant music, but the lack of it was what made the scene achieve its full potential. I don't think there was any more music until the closing scenes. Or if there was, I was too immersed in the story to notice. This is a new one to me. It is on Prime, but seems they'd want me to pay for it, so I'll keep an eye out for that changing as these things tend to rotate. Thanks, both, for the recommendations. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top