Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Willie Oleson" data-source="post: 434025" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>Now that prime is removing Bond-for-free again I decided to do a 1960s James Bond rewatch mini-marathon.</p><p><em>From Russia With Love</em> and <em>On Her Majesty's Secret Service</em> are still the glorious pinnacles of the series - albeit for different reasons.</p><p><em>Dr. No</em> is a proper introduction (a little Thunderbirds-esque), and <em>Goldfinger</em> became the template for the more fantastical aspect of the Bond series, and with a rather clever villain's scheme.</p><p></p><p>The meticulous filming of the hijacking of the atomic bombs in <em>Thunderball </em> is completely disregarded in <em>You Only Live Twice</em> as the film opens with a ridiculous spacecraft-eating monster that pops up out of nowhere.</p><p>And to think that <em>Moonraker</em> gets all the hate.</p><p>Sean Connery's hair colour is lighter (almost like a coupe soleil) and the sumo wrestling looks anything but appealing. All in all, a very bad start.</p><p>The obligatory travelogue glamour takes place in Japan and it looks undercooked compared to the other films, but also overexposed as it shows too much of the cultural shenanigans, which affects the film's pace negatively.</p><p>James Bond fakes his own death and after that he tells everybody that his name is James Bond. It doesn't seem like a well thought-out scam.</p><p></p><p>Perhaps the main part of the film should have been played by Tiger (which would eliminate the over-explaining) only for James Bond to make a surprising and spectacular return in the final act.</p><p>The best or most memorable bits are the booby traps that literally pull the rug from under Bond's and Helga's feet, respectively.</p><p>The piranha pond scene looks believable enough, after all, a failing or disloyal SPECTRE agent needs to die in a gruesome way.</p><p>However, the floor trap that drops Bond in Tiger's office is not only made for that ridiculous purpose, it's also made for that exact moment. It's beyond cartoonish.</p><p>Well actually I'm just jealous that I didn't think of it myself. </p><p></p><p>I still think the 1960s was the most appropriate decade for the Bond fantasy, therefore I'm very disappointed that <em>You Only Live Twice</em> turned out to be such a stinker (despite being my umpteenth rewatch. How come I never noticed this before?)</p><p>[ATTACH=full]58039[/ATTACH]</p><p>Not <em>as</em> James Bond, he IS James Bond. It's as if that statement had to make up for something. According to my internet sources - how SPECTRE of me - he played Bond-san reluctantly, and it shows.</p><p>The series may have been too much of a guilty pleasure in the more serious New Hollywood decade, and in the 1980s and especially the 1990s there was too much competition for our favourite 007.</p><p>And yet I'm SO glad that they've never stopped making them. As soon as he's back in the prime catalogue I'll do a seventies rewatch mini-marathon.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Willie Oleson, post: 434025, member: 8"] Now that prime is removing Bond-for-free again I decided to do a 1960s James Bond rewatch mini-marathon. [I]From Russia With Love[/I] and [I]On Her Majesty's Secret Service[/I] are still the glorious pinnacles of the series - albeit for different reasons. [I]Dr. No[/I] is a proper introduction (a little Thunderbirds-esque), and [I]Goldfinger[/I] became the template for the more fantastical aspect of the Bond series, and with a rather clever villain's scheme. The meticulous filming of the hijacking of the atomic bombs in [I]Thunderball [/I] is completely disregarded in [I]You Only Live Twice[/I] as the film opens with a ridiculous spacecraft-eating monster that pops up out of nowhere. And to think that [I]Moonraker[/I] gets all the hate. Sean Connery's hair colour is lighter (almost like a coupe soleil) and the sumo wrestling looks anything but appealing. All in all, a very bad start. The obligatory travelogue glamour takes place in Japan and it looks undercooked compared to the other films, but also overexposed as it shows too much of the cultural shenanigans, which affects the film's pace negatively. James Bond fakes his own death and after that he tells everybody that his name is James Bond. It doesn't seem like a well thought-out scam. Perhaps the main part of the film should have been played by Tiger (which would eliminate the over-explaining) only for James Bond to make a surprising and spectacular return in the final act. The best or most memorable bits are the booby traps that literally pull the rug from under Bond's and Helga's feet, respectively. The piranha pond scene looks believable enough, after all, a failing or disloyal SPECTRE agent needs to die in a gruesome way. However, the floor trap that drops Bond in Tiger's office is not only made for that ridiculous purpose, it's also made for that exact moment. It's beyond cartoonish. Well actually I'm just jealous that I didn't think of it myself. I still think the 1960s was the most appropriate decade for the Bond fantasy, therefore I'm very disappointed that [I]You Only Live Twice[/I] turned out to be such a stinker (despite being my umpteenth rewatch. How come I never noticed this before?) [ATTACH type="full"]58039[/ATTACH] Not [I]as[/I] James Bond, he IS James Bond. It's as if that statement had to make up for something. According to my internet sources - how SPECTRE of me - he played Bond-san reluctantly, and it shows. The series may have been too much of a guilty pleasure in the more serious New Hollywood decade, and in the 1980s and especially the 1990s there was too much competition for our favourite 007. And yet I'm SO glad that they've never stopped making them. As soon as he's back in the prime catalogue I'll do a seventies rewatch mini-marathon. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played Sue Ellen in Dallas?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top