Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Willie Oleson" data-source="post: 433933" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>I think it's an underwhelming hodgepodge of ideas that had been done before (and better) and it's mostly the vibrantly vulgar and witty dialogue that makes it interesting to watch.</p><p>The look of the erotic thriller looks fine in other genres (e.g. Body Heat) but operating on their own qualities they usually come across as try-hard shockers.</p><p>Nevertheless, Crimes Of Passion <em>has</em> the Ken Russell extravaganzas - as much as he could do in this awful looking mid-eigthies setting - so that sets it apart from the rest. I guess.</p><p>The story of a marriage falling apart doesn't look much better than the average Lifetime movie, and it's obvious that the frigid wife is to blame for everything, which brings the two protagonists together in a "sex saves the day" scenario.</p><p></p><p>Then there's the moonlighting hooker whose icy heart needs to be melted, and that also happens by means of good, personal sex.</p><p>For all its presumed audacity it's actually quite conventional, even a bit hokey sometimes.</p><p>Anthony Perkins in the role of the bewildered Reverend chewing the scenery starts very promising, but then <em>that</em> has to become the thriller aspect and it just doesn't work at all. Not even as a parody, if that's what they were was going for.</p><p>Perhaps the biggest surprise is that John Laughlin plays it relatively strong, considering the powerhouses he had to compete with.</p><p>I don't regret watching this film, it's got <em>just enough</em> novelty value and Kathleen Turner sure knows how to vamp it up.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Willie Oleson, post: 433933, member: 8"] I think it's an underwhelming hodgepodge of ideas that had been done before (and better) and it's mostly the vibrantly vulgar and witty dialogue that makes it interesting to watch. The look of the erotic thriller looks fine in other genres (e.g. Body Heat) but operating on their own qualities they usually come across as try-hard shockers. Nevertheless, Crimes Of Passion [I]has[/I] the Ken Russell extravaganzas - as much as he could do in this awful looking mid-eigthies setting - so that sets it apart from the rest. I guess. The story of a marriage falling apart doesn't look much better than the average Lifetime movie, and it's obvious that the frigid wife is to blame for everything, which brings the two protagonists together in a "sex saves the day" scenario. Then there's the moonlighting hooker whose icy heart needs to be melted, and that also happens by means of good, personal sex. For all its presumed audacity it's actually quite conventional, even a bit hokey sometimes. Anthony Perkins in the role of the bewildered Reverend chewing the scenery starts very promising, but then [I]that[/I] has to become the thriller aspect and it just doesn't work at all. Not even as a parody, if that's what they were was going for. Perhaps the biggest surprise is that John Laughlin plays it relatively strong, considering the powerhouses he had to compete with. I don't regret watching this film, it's got [I]just enough[/I] novelty value and Kathleen Turner sure knows how to vamp it up. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top