Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Willie Oleson" data-source="post: 433801" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>Dead Poets Society (1989)</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]57997[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>I want to give this film the benefit of the doubt and say that it might have looked sufficiently <em>autre</em> in the 1980s (well, more like the 1990s) but that doesn't change the fact that, even at the time of release, it should have been observed that this film looks like a friendly, heroic remake of <em>The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie</em>.</p><p>The finale made me think of the Lost Boys cheering for Peter Pan.</p><p>Furthermore, I'm not completely sold on the idea of teaching Carpe Diem to adolescents who <em>only</em> think of the present, girls and booze.</p><p>It's as if the story wants to take it away and then give it back in a meaningful and wholesome way, enhanced by poetry wanking.</p><p>The feeling of carpe diem usually comes <em>after</em> suffering or something lost, as it would happen in, say, a midlife crisis story. Educating Rita, and that sort of stuff.</p><p>Conveniently, there is one character who cannot do as he pleases and this results in Morte Diem. It feels a bit cheap and insincere but nevertheless, the death of a pretty young character is always going to look very tragic.</p><p></p><p>I'm sure there is an audience for this type of film, people love schmaltz and it's as simple as that. The problem is, I had not expected to find it in such a beloved classic that has cemented its place in pop culture history.</p><p><em>Dead Poets Society</em> isn't just a title anymore, it has become a definition. In my opinion, the film does not live up to that reputation.</p><p>Yes, I was entertained, but not <em>so</em> much that my life has become richer for it. </p><p>And I think it was anxious pretty snotface Ethan Hawke who deserved the spanking but it didn't happen. An additional disappointment!</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Willie Oleson, post: 433801, member: 8"] Dead Poets Society (1989) [ATTACH type="full"]57997[/ATTACH] I want to give this film the benefit of the doubt and say that it might have looked sufficiently [I]autre[/I] in the 1980s (well, more like the 1990s) but that doesn't change the fact that, even at the time of release, it should have been observed that this film looks like a friendly, heroic remake of [I]The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie[/I]. The finale made me think of the Lost Boys cheering for Peter Pan. Furthermore, I'm not completely sold on the idea of teaching Carpe Diem to adolescents who [I]only[/I] think of the present, girls and booze. It's as if the story wants to take it away and then give it back in a meaningful and wholesome way, enhanced by poetry wanking. The feeling of carpe diem usually comes [I]after[/I] suffering or something lost, as it would happen in, say, a midlife crisis story. Educating Rita, and that sort of stuff. Conveniently, there is one character who cannot do as he pleases and this results in Morte Diem. It feels a bit cheap and insincere but nevertheless, the death of a pretty young character is always going to look very tragic. I'm sure there is an audience for this type of film, people love schmaltz and it's as simple as that. The problem is, I had not expected to find it in such a beloved classic that has cemented its place in pop culture history. [I]Dead Poets Society[/I] isn't just a title anymore, it has become a definition. In my opinion, the film does not live up to that reputation. Yes, I was entertained, but not [I]so[/I] much that my life has become richer for it. And I think it was anxious pretty snotface Ethan Hawke who deserved the spanking but it didn't happen. An additional disappointment! [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played Sue Ellen in Dallas?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top