Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Willie Oleson" data-source="post: 433798" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>On that subject, have you seen this film?</p><p>[ATTACH=full]57996[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>I can't post the link because it's already been removed and the trailer shows too much of the highlights (not to mention the horrible and very obviously manipulative trailer score).</p><p>Purely based on the description it didn't seem like a film I needed to watch so I guess it was recommended in one of the online "forgotten gems" lists.</p><p>I wouldn't say that it was the story that won me over, but it has a certain vibe and attitude similar to <em>Rita, Sue And Bob Too</em> (also released in 1987).</p><p>Emily Lloyd is very convincing in her debut performance of the subversive protagonist, and she made me think of Julia Garner in Ozark.</p><p>And instead of the cheerleaders and milkshakes and big red glossy cars you'll get a strong sense of drab, post-WWII England. That's the main difference with America, Europe was still in the process of rebuilding, to make it <em>normal </em>again - and supersized milkshakes were not a priority yet.</p><p></p><p>Btw, this is definitely not to suggest that it was a walk in the park for Americans to make a living in the 1950s. They've always had their own issues to overcome, and personally I think there's something frightening about being part of such a huge and complex country. And there are horror stories of people who are forever lost in one of the extremely large supermarkets. "The exit is here, up down left right, or maybe not".</p><p>But in the fantasy of consumerist pop culture it certainly looks a lot friendlier, like, being in high school with John Travolta and Olivia Newton John.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Willie Oleson, post: 433798, member: 8"] On that subject, have you seen this film? [ATTACH type="full"]57996[/ATTACH] I can't post the link because it's already been removed and the trailer shows too much of the highlights (not to mention the horrible and very obviously manipulative trailer score). Purely based on the description it didn't seem like a film I needed to watch so I guess it was recommended in one of the online "forgotten gems" lists. I wouldn't say that it was the story that won me over, but it has a certain vibe and attitude similar to [I]Rita, Sue And Bob Too[/I] (also released in 1987). Emily Lloyd is very convincing in her debut performance of the subversive protagonist, and she made me think of Julia Garner in Ozark. And instead of the cheerleaders and milkshakes and big red glossy cars you'll get a strong sense of drab, post-WWII England. That's the main difference with America, Europe was still in the process of rebuilding, to make it [I]normal [/I]again - and supersized milkshakes were not a priority yet. Btw, this is definitely not to suggest that it was a walk in the park for Americans to make a living in the 1950s. They've always had their own issues to overcome, and personally I think there's something frightening about being part of such a huge and complex country. And there are horror stories of people who are forever lost in one of the extremely large supermarkets. "The exit is here, up down left right, or maybe not". But in the fantasy of consumerist pop culture it certainly looks a lot friendlier, like, being in high school with John Travolta and Olivia Newton John. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top