Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Mel O&#039;Drama" data-source="post: 433744" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>Oh, this intrigued me enough that I went dashing off to see if I could find it. I don't mind Olivia Colman (who, incidentally, stars in <em>Beautiful People</em>, mentioned in the very quote in your post), and I rather fell for Andrew Scott in <em>Pride</em>, and watching some interviews in its wake.</p><p></p><p> But then I saw it stars Toms Hardy and Holland - with the former evidently taking up almost all the screen time - which I'm afraid makes it hard pass from me.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Yes. I have to say I had high expectations for this, which made it doubly disappointing. I still feel I might just not care for the George Lucas characterisations. I think the only films of his I've cared enough to rewatch were a couple of the <em>Indiana Jones</em> films... and they had Steven Spielberg's hand to guide them. I've had similar experiences with other acclaimed director/producer/writer types like James Cameron and Joss Whedon where, after watching several of their classics, I realise they just don't do it for me (and I cannot see what the fuss is about).</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Yes, and it doesn't help that I have no real connection with Fifties and Sixties Americana. Somehow it feels so far removed from the more modest, kitchen sink drama or cheeky comedies that is my frame of reference for Britain in the same period (which of course was back when Britain had distinct identity that was removed from America).</p><p></p><p>I liked the fact that <em>American Graffiti </em>was pretty shameless about being a kind of jukebox greatest hits film. It felt strongly that the story was build around the songs, rather than the songs fitting in with the story (as confirmed by the always-infallible Wikipedia). As mentioned, though, the film really suffered from poor sound design with the dialogue blending into the music so much that it was impossible to hear. Very unpleasant.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Mel O'Drama, post: 433744, member: 23"] Oh, this intrigued me enough that I went dashing off to see if I could find it. I don't mind Olivia Colman (who, incidentally, stars in [I]Beautiful People[/I], mentioned in the very quote in your post), and I rather fell for Andrew Scott in [I]Pride[/I], and watching some interviews in its wake. But then I saw it stars Toms Hardy and Holland - with the former evidently taking up almost all the screen time - which I'm afraid makes it hard pass from me. Yes. I have to say I had high expectations for this, which made it doubly disappointing. I still feel I might just not care for the George Lucas characterisations. I think the only films of his I've cared enough to rewatch were a couple of the [I]Indiana Jones[/I] films... and they had Steven Spielberg's hand to guide them. I've had similar experiences with other acclaimed director/producer/writer types like James Cameron and Joss Whedon where, after watching several of their classics, I realise they just don't do it for me (and I cannot see what the fuss is about). Yes, and it doesn't help that I have no real connection with Fifties and Sixties Americana. Somehow it feels so far removed from the more modest, kitchen sink drama or cheeky comedies that is my frame of reference for Britain in the same period (which of course was back when Britain had distinct identity that was removed from America). I liked the fact that [I]American Graffiti [/I]was pretty shameless about being a kind of jukebox greatest hits film. It felt strongly that the story was build around the songs, rather than the songs fitting in with the story (as confirmed by the always-infallible Wikipedia). As mentioned, though, the film really suffered from poor sound design with the dialogue blending into the music so much that it was impossible to hear. Very unpleasant. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top