Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Toni" data-source="post: 431977" data-attributes="member: 82"><p>I used to live in the Costa Brava in the early 90s, very close to the place where THAT beach scene was filmed. It was a very popular summer place even in the 60s, and maybe allowing Hollywood to shoot there was just another plot of then dictator Franco to manipulate the public image of Spain (he forbid a lot of American stars and directors during his run). </p><p></p><p style="text-align: center">[ATTACH=full]57721[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>About Cabeza de Lobo, it was made up by Williams for his play, but there are several places in Spain with that name, mainly mountains and small towns, but very far from Costa Brava. Locals still talk about the attention Liz raised and the scandal that was shooting her scene in the sea.</p><p></p><p style="text-align: center">[ATTACH=full]57718[/ATTACH]</p> <p style="text-align: center">"Please someone order sangría and paella for me!"</p><p></p><p>If some of you didn´t know that we have islands, check out the following map:</p><p></p><p style="text-align: center">[ATTACH=full]57717[/ATTACH]</p> <p style="text-align: center"></p><p>Right in orange color: Baleares (Balearic) Islands, with Ibiza, Mallorca (with a "ll") and Menorca. Very animated, posh islands, they say.</p><p></p><p>Left in brown color: Canarias / Canary Islands, 7 in total, the biggest ones being Tenerife, Fuerteventura and Gran Canaria. They are in the Atlantic Ocean, quite far from the peninsula, at over an hour by plane from Spain.</p><p></p><p>I would recommend you to visit all of them without hesitation. You´d even be able to participate in the filming of "House of Dragons" or "Rings of Power" there...</p><p></p><p style="text-align: center">[ATTACH=full]57719[/ATTACH]</p> <p style="text-align: center"></p> <p style="text-align: center">"Rings of Power" shot in Tenerife part of its second season.</p><p></p><p>About the movie itself, I first watched it when I was a gay teenager and I think I "got" all the subliminal messages and subtext in it. Of course, Mama Hepburn provided little sweet Sebastian with new young victims, and cousin Liz replaced her when Mama became just an old fart. The film breaks a lot of taboos of its time with the scenes at the clinic regarding the lobotomy issue, mental health and psychotherapy in general. But it´s Tennessee after all, and he always used twists and turns to talk about what he really wanted. I´d say here he deals with repression, possession, promiscuity and all their consequences, mainly mental unbalance, and sets up a dark melodrama.</p><p></p><p>I read a lot about it after watching it, and most reviewers did agree with that (those themes were usual in Franco´s society, where anything that could be repressed or forbidden indeed was...)... The plot twist about Sebastian´s death made me think that he might be fond of gay cruising (not a "love boat" for gays...!) and predators, transformed into zombie-like hungry men in the movie. By the way, there were a lot of hungry people in Spain then, but I´m sure that almost none of them were cannibals!). I could see it as a metaphor for a kind of "poetic justice" against Sebastian, who might (or not) be killed/raped/devoured "last summer".</p><p></p><p>All the actors are superb here, and it´s not an easy talk when Hepburn is the main lead. Taylor is excellent, and Clift´s damaged face makes him even subtler, because of his apparent lack of expression. McCambridge is another heavy-weight here. A must for any cinephile. Has anyone seen the TV remake?</p><p style="text-align: right"></p> <p style="text-align: center">[ATTACH=full]57722[/ATTACH]</p> <p style="text-align: center"></p> <p style="text-align: center">The only thought of Lowe playing Clift´s role is a bit discouraging...</p> <p style="text-align: center"></p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Toni, post: 431977, member: 82"] I used to live in the Costa Brava in the early 90s, very close to the place where THAT beach scene was filmed. It was a very popular summer place even in the 60s, and maybe allowing Hollywood to shoot there was just another plot of then dictator Franco to manipulate the public image of Spain (he forbid a lot of American stars and directors during his run). [CENTER][ATTACH type="full"]57721[/ATTACH][/CENTER] About Cabeza de Lobo, it was made up by Williams for his play, but there are several places in Spain with that name, mainly mountains and small towns, but very far from Costa Brava. Locals still talk about the attention Liz raised and the scandal that was shooting her scene in the sea. [CENTER][ATTACH type="full"]57718[/ATTACH] "Please someone order sangría and paella for me!"[/CENTER] If some of you didn´t know that we have islands, check out the following map: [CENTER][ATTACH type="full"]57717[/ATTACH] [/CENTER] Right in orange color: Baleares (Balearic) Islands, with Ibiza, Mallorca (with a "ll") and Menorca. Very animated, posh islands, they say. Left in brown color: Canarias / Canary Islands, 7 in total, the biggest ones being Tenerife, Fuerteventura and Gran Canaria. They are in the Atlantic Ocean, quite far from the peninsula, at over an hour by plane from Spain. I would recommend you to visit all of them without hesitation. You´d even be able to participate in the filming of "House of Dragons" or "Rings of Power" there... [CENTER][ATTACH type="full"]57719[/ATTACH] "Rings of Power" shot in Tenerife part of its second season.[/CENTER] About the movie itself, I first watched it when I was a gay teenager and I think I "got" all the subliminal messages and subtext in it. Of course, Mama Hepburn provided little sweet Sebastian with new young victims, and cousin Liz replaced her when Mama became just an old fart. The film breaks a lot of taboos of its time with the scenes at the clinic regarding the lobotomy issue, mental health and psychotherapy in general. But it´s Tennessee after all, and he always used twists and turns to talk about what he really wanted. I´d say here he deals with repression, possession, promiscuity and all their consequences, mainly mental unbalance, and sets up a dark melodrama. I read a lot about it after watching it, and most reviewers did agree with that (those themes were usual in Franco´s society, where anything that could be repressed or forbidden indeed was...)... The plot twist about Sebastian´s death made me think that he might be fond of gay cruising (not a "love boat" for gays...!) and predators, transformed into zombie-like hungry men in the movie. By the way, there were a lot of hungry people in Spain then, but I´m sure that almost none of them were cannibals!). I could see it as a metaphor for a kind of "poetic justice" against Sebastian, who might (or not) be killed/raped/devoured "last summer". All the actors are superb here, and it´s not an easy talk when Hepburn is the main lead. Taylor is excellent, and Clift´s damaged face makes him even subtler, because of his apparent lack of expression. McCambridge is another heavy-weight here. A must for any cinephile. Has anyone seen the TV remake? [RIGHT][/RIGHT] [CENTER][ATTACH type="full"]57722[/ATTACH] The only thought of Lowe playing Clift´s role is a bit discouraging... [/CENTER] [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played Sue Ellen in Dallas?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top