Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="James from London" data-source="post: 428452" data-attributes="member: 22"><p>It's taken me years and years, but I finally got around to watching <em>No Down Payment</em> (1957), the "trashy" counterpart to the more "arty" <em>Scenes from a Marriage</em> (1974) which, we have been led to believe, were combined to form the basis of <em>Knots Landing</em>. (MIchael Filerman: "David wanted to make art, I wanted to make trash and together we made television.")</p><p></p><p>Two major revelations: <em>NDP</em> is genuinely great in its own right, and its influence on <em>Knots</em> feels almost blatant at times. There are a couple of backyard get-togethers in the movie that strongly foreshadow the one in the pilot welcoming Gary and Val to the neighbourhood, and the more boozy one in Season 2 where Richard openly flirts with Abby.</p><p></p><p>Tony Randall simply <em>is </em>Richard Avery (even if he's the one selling cars in this instance). In fact, everyone in the movie shares some of Richard's anxiety about their social and economic status. Barbara <em>Flamingo Road</em> Rush is Karen Fairgate with added religion married to Pat <em>Batman</em> Hingle who shares Sid's fundamental decency and kindness, while Joanne Woodward is especially good as a kinda-sorta Val, again from Tennessee, but as if Danny Waleska were the childhood sweetheart that she'd moved to the Californian suburbs with after a rocky start at married life.</p><p></p><p>[MEDIA=youtube]WJbh1-4z9rs[/MEDIA]</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="James from London, post: 428452, member: 22"] It's taken me years and years, but I finally got around to watching [I]No Down Payment[/I] (1957), the "trashy" counterpart to the more "arty" [I]Scenes from a Marriage[/I] (1974) which, we have been led to believe, were combined to form the basis of [I]Knots Landing[/I]. (MIchael Filerman: "David wanted to make art, I wanted to make trash and together we made television.") Two major revelations: [I]NDP[/I] is genuinely great in its own right, and its influence on [I]Knots[/I] feels almost blatant at times. There are a couple of backyard get-togethers in the movie that strongly foreshadow the one in the pilot welcoming Gary and Val to the neighbourhood, and the more boozy one in Season 2 where Richard openly flirts with Abby. Tony Randall simply [I]is [/I]Richard Avery (even if he's the one selling cars in this instance). In fact, everyone in the movie shares some of Richard's anxiety about their social and economic status. Barbara [I]Flamingo Road[/I] Rush is Karen Fairgate with added religion married to Pat [I]Batman[/I] Hingle who shares Sid's fundamental decency and kindness, while Joanne Woodward is especially good as a kinda-sorta Val, again from Tennessee, but as if Danny Waleska were the childhood sweetheart that she'd moved to the Californian suburbs with after a rocky start at married life. [MEDIA=youtube]WJbh1-4z9rs[/MEDIA] [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top