Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Willie Oleson" data-source="post: 414538" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG (1961)</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]55000[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>I don't think I could call it a beautiful film, but it appears to be made with intellect and respect, and shows the frustrating complexity of WWII.</p><p>To talk about this film is as difficult as the situation shown on screen: how to focus on the matter at hand when it represents horrors of this magnitude?</p><p>The one thing that stood out to me was the comment "what good will it do?" and I guess the answer is "none" because a story like this could never have a satisfying conclusion. Sometimes we need an awful conclusion to put things into perspective, to make some sense of it and, optimistically, hope to learn something from it.</p><p>It's even beyond damage control and I jokingly started to think that we should have these trials <em>before </em>the bad stuff happens, and then I realise that that's not too different from Hitler's vision and practices.</p><p>As for fighting for democracy and the good way of living, especially since the story has a strong American input, I find it increasingly difficult to understand what that means in the grand scheme of things. Unlimited consumerism that destroys the planet, insane profits from producing and selling weapons? Is that it? Is that our goal?</p><p>It almost makes a good case for communism but I don't want that because I'm one of the lucky ones who can profit from the democracy and freedom and consumerism that we have here. Only goes to show how easy it is to be guilty.</p><p>I'm going to watch something completely different after this post otherwise I'll be tossing and turning all night long.</p><p></p><p>The screenplay is impeccable and they get the very best out of the international cast. It does get a bit shouty here and there but the case kinda justifies it.</p><p>It took me a few minutes to understand the difference between the real English/American language and the spoken English language that actually represents German language (albeit with a strong European accent).</p><p>Of course, if they had included the ongoing translations for accuracy then the film would be twice as long, and it's interesting to see how they <em>play</em> different languages.</p><p>The German housekeeping couple are fantastic, they sort of embody the whole tragedy without saying anything about it and even avoid talking about it.</p><p>A very impressive film that doesn't look dated at all.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Willie Oleson, post: 414538, member: 8"] JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG (1961) [ATTACH type="full"]55000[/ATTACH] I don't think I could call it a beautiful film, but it appears to be made with intellect and respect, and shows the frustrating complexity of WWII. To talk about this film is as difficult as the situation shown on screen: how to focus on the matter at hand when it represents horrors of this magnitude? The one thing that stood out to me was the comment "what good will it do?" and I guess the answer is "none" because a story like this could never have a satisfying conclusion. Sometimes we need an awful conclusion to put things into perspective, to make some sense of it and, optimistically, hope to learn something from it. It's even beyond damage control and I jokingly started to think that we should have these trials [I]before [/I]the bad stuff happens, and then I realise that that's not too different from Hitler's vision and practices. As for fighting for democracy and the good way of living, especially since the story has a strong American input, I find it increasingly difficult to understand what that means in the grand scheme of things. Unlimited consumerism that destroys the planet, insane profits from producing and selling weapons? Is that it? Is that our goal? It almost makes a good case for communism but I don't want that because I'm one of the lucky ones who can profit from the democracy and freedom and consumerism that we have here. Only goes to show how easy it is to be guilty. I'm going to watch something completely different after this post otherwise I'll be tossing and turning all night long. The screenplay is impeccable and they get the very best out of the international cast. It does get a bit shouty here and there but the case kinda justifies it. It took me a few minutes to understand the difference between the real English/American language and the spoken English language that actually represents German language (albeit with a strong European accent). Of course, if they had included the ongoing translations for accuracy then the film would be twice as long, and it's interesting to see how they [I]play[/I] different languages. The German housekeeping couple are fantastic, they sort of embody the whole tragedy without saying anything about it and even avoid talking about it. A very impressive film that doesn't look dated at all. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played Sue Ellen in Dallas?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top