Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Willie Oleson" data-source="post: 411262" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>GET CARTER (1971)</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]54593[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>Because it's trending on tellytalk, and I needed to know how the catfight played out.</p><p>As with most plot-driven stories that deal with a lot of characters all of equal importance I sometimes struggled to remember the who-is-who. It may be very typical of gangster movies.</p><p>It's obvious that we're not in Hollywood anymore and the tone is very different from that other classic British crime drama <em>The Long Good Friday </em>(both titles often come up in the same conversation, hence the comparison).</p><p>Both films are made in the 1970s but whereas <em>Friday</em> looks ahead of its time in terms of mood and presentation, <em>Get Carter</em> often looks distinctively late 1960s.</p><p>Except, perhaps, for the entertainingly bourgeois scene at the Brumby place.</p><p></p><p></p><p>I honestly don't know if this film was more brutal than the ones that came before, but it certainly feels like an exploitation movie. A very good one.</p><p>Britt Ekland shows up for a little boobs show and that would have been enough for attention-grabbing purposes, but the real sizzle happens on the other end of the telephone line as we witness another character being exposed to a vocal description of that very scene.</p><p>The bad Bond girl, however, is played by Geraldine Moffat, unknown to me although there was something familiar about her. Maybe it was just the hair. Could be Jacqueline Bisset.</p><p></p><p>"Not in Hollywood anymore" is an understatement when you look at the grey and depressing surroundings with its early-modern high-rise that seemed like such a<em> very</em> good idea. (spoiler: it wasn't, but people have to live somewhere).</p><p>But there is atmosphere in everything and when I look at the bigger picture I would describe is "industrial medieval". Stone and mud and bridges.</p><p>Michael Cane's bad-ass character is uncompromising throughout the entire film. There's no redemption of justification, and what may have happened to Carter's brother never feels like a tragedy, that part belongs to the Carter's niece.</p><p>It doesn't feel like any of the revenge stories like <em>Death Wish</em>, but that's a bad film anyway. Very very very bad. But now that I mentioned it I see the connection of sexual abuse being at the core of the drama.</p><p><em>Get Carter</em> has a terrific ending with some nasty surprises for everyone, it's almost like an end-of-season cliffhanger.</p><p></p><p></p><p>I rewatched it a few months ago and liked it better than the first time (expectations may have something to do with it). But I've already forgotten many details so it's back on the rewatch-list.</p><p></p><p>Ha ha. And that's why I should never interview a celebrity because everything in my head is a potpourri of correct and misremembered information.</p><p>Staying with the Cusacks, I keep thinking that <em>Arlington Road</em> starred Joan Allen and John Cusack, but in reality it's Tim Robbins and <em>Joan</em> Cusack.</p><p>The last time I watched it I noticed that I couldn't stand Jeff Bridges' voice and why do I even mention this?</p><p></p><p>That is such modern thinking of you. The comparison would never occur to me but perhaps that has something to do with my personal and lonesome vigilante vendetta against A.I. (cue harmonica music).</p><p></p><p>I don't remember any specific examples but sometimes they did when they guest-starred in quiz/grande variété shows that ruled Dutch TV in the 1980s.</p><p>Everyone now and then I watch some of it on youtube but it all looks very much like time-filler and it's not much fun to go through it again, in the same way that reality shows have no rewatch value whatsoever (imho).</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Willie Oleson, post: 411262, member: 8"] GET CARTER (1971) [ATTACH type="full"]54593[/ATTACH] Because it's trending on tellytalk, and I needed to know how the catfight played out. As with most plot-driven stories that deal with a lot of characters all of equal importance I sometimes struggled to remember the who-is-who. It may be very typical of gangster movies. It's obvious that we're not in Hollywood anymore and the tone is very different from that other classic British crime drama [I]The Long Good Friday [/I](both titles often come up in the same conversation, hence the comparison). Both films are made in the 1970s but whereas [I]Friday[/I] looks ahead of its time in terms of mood and presentation, [I]Get Carter[/I] often looks distinctively late 1960s. Except, perhaps, for the entertainingly bourgeois scene at the Brumby place. I honestly don't know if this film was more brutal than the ones that came before, but it certainly feels like an exploitation movie. A very good one. Britt Ekland shows up for a little boobs show and that would have been enough for attention-grabbing purposes, but the real sizzle happens on the other end of the telephone line as we witness another character being exposed to a vocal description of that very scene. The bad Bond girl, however, is played by Geraldine Moffat, unknown to me although there was something familiar about her. Maybe it was just the hair. Could be Jacqueline Bisset. "Not in Hollywood anymore" is an understatement when you look at the grey and depressing surroundings with its early-modern high-rise that seemed like such a[I] very[/I] good idea. (spoiler: it wasn't, but people have to live somewhere). But there is atmosphere in everything and when I look at the bigger picture I would describe is "industrial medieval". Stone and mud and bridges. Michael Cane's bad-ass character is uncompromising throughout the entire film. There's no redemption of justification, and what may have happened to Carter's brother never feels like a tragedy, that part belongs to the Carter's niece. It doesn't feel like any of the revenge stories like [I]Death Wish[/I], but that's a bad film anyway. Very very very bad. But now that I mentioned it I see the connection of sexual abuse being at the core of the drama. [I]Get Carter[/I] has a terrific ending with some nasty surprises for everyone, it's almost like an end-of-season cliffhanger. I rewatched it a few months ago and liked it better than the first time (expectations may have something to do with it). But I've already forgotten many details so it's back on the rewatch-list. Ha ha. And that's why I should never interview a celebrity because everything in my head is a potpourri of correct and misremembered information. Staying with the Cusacks, I keep thinking that [I]Arlington Road[/I] starred Joan Allen and John Cusack, but in reality it's Tim Robbins and [I]Joan[/I] Cusack. The last time I watched it I noticed that I couldn't stand Jeff Bridges' voice and why do I even mention this? That is such modern thinking of you. The comparison would never occur to me but perhaps that has something to do with my personal and lonesome vigilante vendetta against A.I. (cue harmonica music). I don't remember any specific examples but sometimes they did when they guest-starred in quiz/grande variété shows that ruled Dutch TV in the 1980s. Everyone now and then I watch some of it on youtube but it all looks very much like time-filler and it's not much fun to go through it again, in the same way that reality shows have no rewatch value whatsoever (imho). [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top