Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 410114" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>Well, you planted the seed for me to watch <em>Get Carter</em> while it was still on iPlayer. And it was my first time.</p><p></p><p>I can see why these two films were grouped together since they both have that disorientating thing where stuff is going on but the viewer needs to resort to empirical evidence to work out what the actual <em>story</em> is. In fact iPlayer even tried to force me to auto-watch <em>The French Connection</em> immediately afterwards.</p><p></p><p>Lots of good stuff here: the locations look good (I especially loved the shot of the two hearses pulling away from the back of the house, down that steep lane overlooking industrial Newcastle); the score is a classic, and the only part of the film with which I was familiar before watching; there are some familiar faces (including Alf Roberts himself) and that Sunbeam Alpine is (or was) gorgeous.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Oh - the video cuts off at the funniest part: the knicker-flashing catfight between the singer and the jealous wife while all the blokes watch in amused, world-weary approval.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>You summed it up with the word "oddball", I think. It's hard to describe why I found the weirdness enjoyable. I had this to say about it when I watched it for the first (and probably only) time:</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 410114, member: 23"] Well, you planted the seed for me to watch [I]Get Carter[/I] while it was still on iPlayer. And it was my first time. I can see why these two films were grouped together since they both have that disorientating thing where stuff is going on but the viewer needs to resort to empirical evidence to work out what the actual [I]story[/I] is. In fact iPlayer even tried to force me to auto-watch [I]The French Connection[/I] immediately afterwards. Lots of good stuff here: the locations look good (I especially loved the shot of the two hearses pulling away from the back of the house, down that steep lane overlooking industrial Newcastle); the score is a classic, and the only part of the film with which I was familiar before watching; there are some familiar faces (including Alf Roberts himself) and that Sunbeam Alpine is (or was) gorgeous. Oh - the video cuts off at the funniest part: the knicker-flashing catfight between the singer and the jealous wife while all the blokes watch in amused, world-weary approval. You summed it up with the word "oddball", I think. It's hard to describe why I found the weirdness enjoyable. I had this to say about it when I watched it for the first (and probably only) time: [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top