Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Willie Oleson" data-source="post: 407402" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>I like that!</p><p></p><p>CAROL (2015)</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]54149[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>There are films that I love, and then there are films I fall <em>in love</em> with. Off the top of my head: <em>Brief Encounter</em>, <em>Roman Holiday</em>, <em>Melody</em> and <em>Local Hero</em> - and now this brilliant film by Todd Haynes.</p><p>No idea why it's taken me so long to watch it since I've enjoyed some of his other films, especially <em>Velvet Goldmine</em>. Julianne Moore's <em>Safe</em> is still on my to-watch list but it's only available on an out-of-print Criterion DVD.</p><p></p><p>Anyway, back to CAROL, the first thing to like is the department store, and this made me realise that I usually like shops-in-films or TV series. From Constance MacKenzie's bookstore in <em>Peyton Place</em> to the the mini-supermarket in <em>Number 96</em> to The Store in <em>Dallas</em> to the Italian department store in Elizabeth Taylor's <em>The Driver's Seat.</em></p><p>Actress Cate Blanchett often reminds me of Glenn Close, it's that balance between intrigue and intensity, and with just the right amount of vulnerability - and this is exactly what CAROL needs.</p><p>None of the other characters are upstaged, certainly not Cate's co-star Rooney Mara, and Sarah Paulson and Kyle Chandler are terrific in their respective supporting roles.</p><p>In fact, I <em>would</em> watch the other version of "Carol" from the husband's point of view. That would not be a prequel or sequel but an....equel?</p><p></p><p>Miraculously, I had managed to avoid all trailers and spoilers, and since it's a story about uncertain situations with impulsive actions and reactions it kinda felt like watching it play out "live".</p><p>Cinematography and soundtrack are pitch-perfect without a single moment of overdoing it, and the scene of the custody settlement reminded me a lot of Sable and Jason Colby's divorce settlement.</p><p>As a lush melodrama (with an LGBTQ theme) it simply doesn't get better than this, but it remains to be seen if it will top my Top Ten Gay movies. There's also the ethereal <em>Moonlight (2016)</em> and William Friedkin's visceral film adaptation of <em>The Boys In The Band</em>.</p><p>That's going to be another tough ranking but I'll just think of it as a luxury problem.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Willie Oleson, post: 407402, member: 8"] I like that! CAROL (2015) [ATTACH type="full"]54149[/ATTACH] There are films that I love, and then there are films I fall [I]in love[/I] with. Off the top of my head: [I]Brief Encounter[/I], [I]Roman Holiday[/I], [I]Melody[/I] and [I]Local Hero[/I] - and now this brilliant film by Todd Haynes. No idea why it's taken me so long to watch it since I've enjoyed some of his other films, especially [I]Velvet Goldmine[/I]. Julianne Moore's [I]Safe[/I] is still on my to-watch list but it's only available on an out-of-print Criterion DVD. Anyway, back to CAROL, the first thing to like is the department store, and this made me realise that I usually like shops-in-films or TV series. From Constance MacKenzie's bookstore in [I]Peyton Place[/I] to the the mini-supermarket in [I]Number 96[/I] to The Store in [I]Dallas[/I] to the Italian department store in Elizabeth Taylor's [I]The Driver's Seat.[/I] Actress Cate Blanchett often reminds me of Glenn Close, it's that balance between intrigue and intensity, and with just the right amount of vulnerability - and this is exactly what CAROL needs. None of the other characters are upstaged, certainly not Cate's co-star Rooney Mara, and Sarah Paulson and Kyle Chandler are terrific in their respective supporting roles. In fact, I [I]would[/I] watch the other version of "Carol" from the husband's point of view. That would not be a prequel or sequel but an....equel? Miraculously, I had managed to avoid all trailers and spoilers, and since it's a story about uncertain situations with impulsive actions and reactions it kinda felt like watching it play out "live". Cinematography and soundtrack are pitch-perfect without a single moment of overdoing it, and the scene of the custody settlement reminded me a lot of Sable and Jason Colby's divorce settlement. As a lush melodrama (with an LGBTQ theme) it simply doesn't get better than this, but it remains to be seen if it will top my Top Ten Gay movies. There's also the ethereal [I]Moonlight (2016)[/I] and William Friedkin's visceral film adaptation of [I]The Boys In The Band[/I]. That's going to be another tough ranking but I'll just think of it as a luxury problem. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played Sue Ellen in Dallas?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top