Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Willie Oleson" data-source="post: 403290" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>HUSBANDS AND WIVES (1992)</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]53633[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>This is probably the most Woody Allenest film I've seen so far, and it's been such a treat to watch it.</p><p>The conversations are always teetering on the brink of something and this allows the characters to reveal more of themselves than they want to.</p><p>Praise or support goes awry and becomes a passive-aggressive argument but they insist on dealing with it in an intellectual way.</p><p>It is perhaps in the last part when the situations become more honest and progressive that the film becomes a little less interesting, or should I say more traditional.</p><p></p><p>The whole cast is in top form and I'm a little embarrassed to say that I had to look Judy Davis up on the internet because I hadn't recognised her from <em>A Passage To India</em> or Ryan Murphy's <em>Ratched</em> (!!).</p><p>There's an intriguing mini-performance by an actress with an obscure filmography who goes by the illusive name of Galaxy Craze, and there's something about her that makes me think she could have been the first Scarlett Johansson.</p><p>Liam Neeson is another interesting choice because there's nothing in the story that indicates this character had to be a foreigner (or maybe I missed it).</p><p></p><p>It's hard to pick a favourite scene but I love the way Juliette Lewis criticises Woody Allen's novel to the core, especially because it started with unadulterated worship.</p><p>And while it's tempting to make fun of Sydney Pollacks' girlfriend who's going on and on about the importance of the position of the planets, I can feel her frustration about people "not getting" the thing that seems so self-explanatory, even if it's based on nonsense.</p><p></p><p>The mockumentary style shaky-cam made me feel a bit nauseous in the beginning but I found it impossible to stop the film.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Willie Oleson, post: 403290, member: 8"] HUSBANDS AND WIVES (1992) [ATTACH type="full"]53633[/ATTACH] This is probably the most Woody Allenest film I've seen so far, and it's been such a treat to watch it. The conversations are always teetering on the brink of something and this allows the characters to reveal more of themselves than they want to. Praise or support goes awry and becomes a passive-aggressive argument but they insist on dealing with it in an intellectual way. It is perhaps in the last part when the situations become more honest and progressive that the film becomes a little less interesting, or should I say more traditional. The whole cast is in top form and I'm a little embarrassed to say that I had to look Judy Davis up on the internet because I hadn't recognised her from [I]A Passage To India[/I] or Ryan Murphy's [I]Ratched[/I] (!!). There's an intriguing mini-performance by an actress with an obscure filmography who goes by the illusive name of Galaxy Craze, and there's something about her that makes me think she could have been the first Scarlett Johansson. Liam Neeson is another interesting choice because there's nothing in the story that indicates this character had to be a foreigner (or maybe I missed it). It's hard to pick a favourite scene but I love the way Juliette Lewis criticises Woody Allen's novel to the core, especially because it started with unadulterated worship. And while it's tempting to make fun of Sydney Pollacks' girlfriend who's going on and on about the importance of the position of the planets, I can feel her frustration about people "not getting" the thing that seems so self-explanatory, even if it's based on nonsense. The mockumentary style shaky-cam made me feel a bit nauseous in the beginning but I found it impossible to stop the film. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top