Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Willie Oleson" data-source="post: 403260" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>THE DAMNED UNITED (2009)</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]53632[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>The thumbnail on prime isn't as descriptive as this film poster, all I knew was that it had something-something to do with football. And even that was mostly a guess.</p><p>I've never cared for football (or any game sports) and there have been many moments when I hated it with a passion.</p><p>It's always been the most important sport in the Netherlands - followed by cycling and tennis, I think - and my dad had to watch all of that on TV.</p><p>Do I even have to mention that this often happened at the expense of <em>my</em> appointment TV, including - shock! horror! - new episodes of DYNASTY?</p><p>Thankfully I could record the things I had planned to watch, but the evening was ruined nonetheless. This makes THE DAMNED UNITED a peculiar choice, to say the least. </p><p></p><p>The thing is, football has (for better or worse) become a part of the nostalgia background noise, and quite literally, as I was often sitting in the kitchen sulking and listening to the "Whoooaa!"s and "Gooaaal!"s coming from the TV set in the living room.</p><p>Somehow I sensed that TDU was going to provide some of that nostalgia and that's the reason why I watched it. </p><p>I certainly got what I wanted but I had not expected to be so completely enthralled by this what turns out to be a biopic of football manager Brian Clough.</p><p>I don't really care how accurate the film is or that it is about football, all I need to believe is that the characters believe they are doing something very important, and this was about the boardroom aspect of it. And I never say "no" to a good piece of boardroom drama.</p><p></p><p>Michael Sheen as Brian Clough channelling a could-be-Doctor Who is very entertaining to watch, and I love the way they edited the film into various old TV interviews.</p><p>He ("Brian") also mentions the beauty of the football game and this is something I can't quite get on board with.</p><p>The intentions may be there, the players may have been chosen because of their particular skills, but at the end of the day any game is dominated by the chance-factor, you can't write a script for a <em>ball</em>. Once that ball starts rolling, any clever or artistic intention goes out of the window.</p><p>I think that's what makes games so boring to watch, there's never a true sense of plotting and scheming. </p><p>But TDU isn't about games, it's about the media and personal vendettas and very bitchy insults - a Footballers' Wives without the wives - placed in a very convincing late 60s/early 70s period setting.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Willie Oleson, post: 403260, member: 8"] THE DAMNED UNITED (2009) [ATTACH type="full"]53632[/ATTACH] The thumbnail on prime isn't as descriptive as this film poster, all I knew was that it had something-something to do with football. And even that was mostly a guess. I've never cared for football (or any game sports) and there have been many moments when I hated it with a passion. It's always been the most important sport in the Netherlands - followed by cycling and tennis, I think - and my dad had to watch all of that on TV. Do I even have to mention that this often happened at the expense of [I]my[/I] appointment TV, including - shock! horror! - new episodes of DYNASTY? Thankfully I could record the things I had planned to watch, but the evening was ruined nonetheless. This makes THE DAMNED UNITED a peculiar choice, to say the least. The thing is, football has (for better or worse) become a part of the nostalgia background noise, and quite literally, as I was often sitting in the kitchen sulking and listening to the "Whoooaa!"s and "Gooaaal!"s coming from the TV set in the living room. Somehow I sensed that TDU was going to provide some of that nostalgia and that's the reason why I watched it. I certainly got what I wanted but I had not expected to be so completely enthralled by this what turns out to be a biopic of football manager Brian Clough. I don't really care how accurate the film is or that it is about football, all I need to believe is that the characters believe they are doing something very important, and this was about the boardroom aspect of it. And I never say "no" to a good piece of boardroom drama. Michael Sheen as Brian Clough channelling a could-be-Doctor Who is very entertaining to watch, and I love the way they edited the film into various old TV interviews. He ("Brian") also mentions the beauty of the football game and this is something I can't quite get on board with. The intentions may be there, the players may have been chosen because of their particular skills, but at the end of the day any game is dominated by the chance-factor, you can't write a script for a [I]ball[/I]. Once that ball starts rolling, any clever or artistic intention goes out of the window. I think that's what makes games so boring to watch, there's never a true sense of plotting and scheming. But TDU isn't about games, it's about the media and personal vendettas and very bitchy insults - a Footballers' Wives without the wives - placed in a very convincing late 60s/early 70s period setting. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top