Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Werewillie Oleson" data-source="post: 383498" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR (1977)</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]49967[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>It's one of those notoriously unavailable films (never released on DVD save for a bootleg disguised as an Australian release) but thankfully someone has uploaded a homemade video recording - from Dutch television, of all sources.</p><p>It's watchable enough if you simply want to know what the film is all about. I honestly can't say if I've seen it before.</p><p></p><p>A childhood disease, religion and oppressing family values appear to be the roots for Diane Keaton's character's train wreck lifestyle, although her more beloved sister doesn't seem to do much better.</p><p>To me, it also looks like a fight for freedom (there's a little bit of feminist activism going on in the background) but without knowing how to give that freedom purpose, and in that regard she's not very different from Tony, played by Richard Gere.</p><p>I found it wickedly funny sometimes but I struggled to think of Diane Keaton as the loser type who actually had to make an effort to pick men up, even if that changed once she got the hang of it.</p><p></p><p>The final scene is brutal and I wonder if it was the inspiration for the final scene in Brian De Palma's BLOW OUT.</p><p>All in all, I think GOODBAR is a good but flawed film and I wouldn't mind watching it again in better picture quality. I don't know what the bootleg DVD has to offer.</p><p></p><p>Oh btw, there's a christmas scene in it and therefore it qualifies for our December Watching.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Werewillie Oleson, post: 383498, member: 8"] LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR (1977) [ATTACH type="full" alt="1703561636291.png"]49967[/ATTACH] It's one of those notoriously unavailable films (never released on DVD save for a bootleg disguised as an Australian release) but thankfully someone has uploaded a homemade video recording - from Dutch television, of all sources. It's watchable enough if you simply want to know what the film is all about. I honestly can't say if I've seen it before. A childhood disease, religion and oppressing family values appear to be the roots for Diane Keaton's character's train wreck lifestyle, although her more beloved sister doesn't seem to do much better. To me, it also looks like a fight for freedom (there's a little bit of feminist activism going on in the background) but without knowing how to give that freedom purpose, and in that regard she's not very different from Tony, played by Richard Gere. I found it wickedly funny sometimes but I struggled to think of Diane Keaton as the loser type who actually had to make an effort to pick men up, even if that changed once she got the hang of it. The final scene is brutal and I wonder if it was the inspiration for the final scene in Brian De Palma's BLOW OUT. All in all, I think GOODBAR is a good but flawed film and I wouldn't mind watching it again in better picture quality. I don't know what the bootleg DVD has to offer. Oh btw, there's a christmas scene in it and therefore it qualifies for our December Watching. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top