Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Werewillie Oleson" data-source="post: 382136" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>To be honest, I wouldn't have a clue.</p><p></p><p>Oddly enough I've never bothered to find any of his films but now you've given me the inspiration. On that note...</p><p></p><p>84 CHARING CROSS ROAD (1987)</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]49728[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>If 84 CCR is considered a Christmassy movie then I'll say that this is completely coincidental since I chose it for the lead actors who had starred so magnificently in the other biopic THE ELEPHANT MAN.</p><p>"A big love affair" could be a little misleading to those who are looking for something overtly romantic - and spoilers be damned, that scene on the beach with two people running towards each other is not going to happen. Ever. But there <em>is</em> a beach, and Judi Dench in a supporting role.</p><p></p><p>I would compare 84 CCR to that other transatlantic story LOCAL HERO in terms of being uneventful, wholesome, soothing and also somewhat hypnotizing.</p><p>The story of a correspondence also plays out as a correnspondence, interspersed with mentions or showings of historical events, and that gives it a bit of a novelty quality. At least I had never seen something like this before.</p><p>As life goes on and the years go by the characters are inevitably confronted with mortality, but the lack of high drama doesn't make it less impactful.</p><p>I don't know if Helene Hanff continued her correspondence with any of the people in England or if she visited any members of the Doel family once she finally got there.</p><p>One note of criticism: bad fake-typing.</p><p></p><p>It also made me think of how we, here on tellytalk, have become a similar story to 84 CCR. And I did, indeed, receive some soapy goodness from people who live in foreign countries. And so it has become a Christmassy affair after all.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Werewillie Oleson, post: 382136, member: 8"] To be honest, I wouldn't have a clue. Oddly enough I've never bothered to find any of his films but now you've given me the inspiration. On that note... 84 CHARING CROSS ROAD (1987) [ATTACH type="full" alt="1702510628955.png"]49728[/ATTACH] If 84 CCR is considered a Christmassy movie then I'll say that this is completely coincidental since I chose it for the lead actors who had starred so magnificently in the other biopic THE ELEPHANT MAN. "A big love affair" could be a little misleading to those who are looking for something overtly romantic - and spoilers be damned, that scene on the beach with two people running towards each other is not going to happen. Ever. But there [I]is[/I] a beach, and Judi Dench in a supporting role. I would compare 84 CCR to that other transatlantic story LOCAL HERO in terms of being uneventful, wholesome, soothing and also somewhat hypnotizing. The story of a correspondence also plays out as a correnspondence, interspersed with mentions or showings of historical events, and that gives it a bit of a novelty quality. At least I had never seen something like this before. As life goes on and the years go by the characters are inevitably confronted with mortality, but the lack of high drama doesn't make it less impactful. I don't know if Helene Hanff continued her correspondence with any of the people in England or if she visited any members of the Doel family once she finally got there. One note of criticism: bad fake-typing. It also made me think of how we, here on tellytalk, have become a similar story to 84 CCR. And I did, indeed, receive some soapy goodness from people who live in foreign countries. And so it has become a Christmassy affair after all. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top