Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Willie Oleson" data-source="post: 294143" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>[ATTACH=full]30678[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>The movie has an extremely detailed and opulent visual style, which reminded me of Alice Through The Looking Glass. And maybe the stories aren't that different anyway.</p><p>I think it's very well made, like a gay Christmas on acid, over-the-top glittery with a few eerie and few emotional touches. It also made me laugh a few times so I guess it was an all-inclusive event for me.</p><p></p><p>It's not a great adventure for kids because the main character doesn't take the viewer on a journey. The opulent Christmas world starts from the very beginning, even before she arrives in Christmas Tree Land or whatever it is. There's no contrast, it doesn't look funny or bedazzling to <em>her</em>. It's almost like literally stepping out of a Harry Potter movie and then into a Narnia movie.</p><p>Maybe it's a little too relentless to make the "wow" moments pop. It over-indulges, but it never stimulates. That wasn't a problem for me because I only watched it for the pretty shiny stuff, but without stimulation it never becomes part of the young viewer. There's nothing for them to do and it won't create any links or associations that could gradually develop into fond memories and nostalgia.</p><p>Clara is also too perfect and princessy for a misfit character, maybe they should have given the story to her brother Fritz.</p><p></p><p>I enjoyed it but I can see why it didn't became the smash hit movie it was supposed to be.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Willie Oleson, post: 294143, member: 8"] [ATTACH type="full"]30678[/ATTACH] The movie has an extremely detailed and opulent visual style, which reminded me of Alice Through The Looking Glass. And maybe the stories aren't that different anyway. I think it's very well made, like a gay Christmas on acid, over-the-top glittery with a few eerie and few emotional touches. It also made me laugh a few times so I guess it was an all-inclusive event for me. It's not a great adventure for kids because the main character doesn't take the viewer on a journey. The opulent Christmas world starts from the very beginning, even before she arrives in Christmas Tree Land or whatever it is. There's no contrast, it doesn't look funny or bedazzling to [I]her[/I]. It's almost like literally stepping out of a Harry Potter movie and then into a Narnia movie. Maybe it's a little too relentless to make the "wow" moments pop. It over-indulges, but it never stimulates. That wasn't a problem for me because I only watched it for the pretty shiny stuff, but without stimulation it never becomes part of the young viewer. There's nothing for them to do and it won't create any links or associations that could gradually develop into fond memories and nostalgia. Clara is also too perfect and princessy for a misfit character, maybe they should have given the story to her brother Fritz. I enjoyed it but I can see why it didn't became the smash hit movie it was supposed to be. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top