Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Mel O&#039;Drama" data-source="post: 291142" data-attributes="member: 23"><p style="text-align: center"><strong><span style="font-size: 22px">May Contain Nuts </span></strong>(2009)</p> <p style="text-align: center"></p> <p style="text-align: center">[MEDIA=youtube]0R8jiyPDT94[/MEDIA]</p> <p style="text-align: center"></p> <p style="text-align: center">This was one of those films where I read the premise and wondered if I might not be the key demographic. And I came out of it feeling the same way.</p> <p style="text-align: center"></p> <p style="text-align: center">Perhaps it's one of those films that resonates well with parents who can smile in recognition of some of the competitiveness and pretension that comes from interacting with other parents or the joy, truth and stress that raising children brings.</p> <p style="text-align: center"></p> <p style="text-align: center">It wasn't entirely without its charming, heartwarming or funny moments, but overall it felt very much like an am dram reinterpretation of a Mike Leigh play, where wryness and bile - and humour - is lost in the mix. I'm fine with the characters being entitled and unlikeable, but I struggled with a subtext that suggests the audience is supposed to "get" them, and I just didn't. The woman was whiny while hubby had that aura where you can sense him trying (far too hard) to be natural and funny in his delivery. Imagine an hour and a half of watching that guy in the advert who asks Alexa about Mount Vesuvius married to one of those smug Oral B housewives and you have this.</p> <p style="text-align: center"></p> <p style="text-align: center">It also had that<em> Desperate Housewives</em> dramedy tone prevalent at the time, where frenetically quirky music cues the audience in to which bits are supposed to be funny.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Mel O'Drama, post: 291142, member: 23"] [CENTER][B][SIZE=6]May Contain Nuts [/SIZE][/B](2009) [MEDIA=youtube]0R8jiyPDT94[/MEDIA] This was one of those films where I read the premise and wondered if I might not be the key demographic. And I came out of it feeling the same way. Perhaps it's one of those films that resonates well with parents who can smile in recognition of some of the competitiveness and pretension that comes from interacting with other parents or the joy, truth and stress that raising children brings. It wasn't entirely without its charming, heartwarming or funny moments, but overall it felt very much like an am dram reinterpretation of a Mike Leigh play, where wryness and bile - and humour - is lost in the mix. I'm fine with the characters being entitled and unlikeable, but I struggled with a subtext that suggests the audience is supposed to "get" them, and I just didn't. The woman was whiny while hubby had that aura where you can sense him trying (far too hard) to be natural and funny in his delivery. Imagine an hour and a half of watching that guy in the advert who asks Alexa about Mount Vesuvius married to one of those smug Oral B housewives and you have this. It also had that[I] Desperate Housewives[/I] dramedy tone prevalent at the time, where frenetically quirky music cues the audience in to which bits are supposed to be funny.[/CENTER] [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top