Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Michael Torrance" data-source="post: 161075" data-attributes="member: 719"><p>I did like the movie, because Streep is amazing and Adams is also good. But when it comes to the actual idea behind the theme (book and movie), I agree with this Slate review:</p><p></p><p><a href="https://film.avclub.com/julie-julia-1798206711" target="_blank">https://film.avclub.com/julie-julia-1798206711</a></p><p></p><p>Simultaneously adapting Julia Child’s autobiography <em>My Life In France</em> and Julie Powell’s blog-turned-memoir <em>Julie & Julia</em>, Nora Ephron’s <em>Julie & Julia</em> is two movies in one. That’s one more movie than it needs to be. One portrays Child’s self-discovery through cooking. The other focuses on Powell’s attempt to spend a year preparing all the recipes in Child’s co-authored 1961 breakthrough <em>Mastering The Art Of French Cooking</em>, a cookbook that made classic French dishes accessible to “the servantless American cook.” The first is a charming story of a woman finding a calling in a time and place when women weren’t generally thought to need callings. The second is an accidental dissection of Internet-enabled 21st-century narcissism rendered in broad strokes and easy punchlines.</p><p></p><p>Meryl Streep thoughtfully plays Child as a passionate woman with an easy laugh and an outsized personality to match her looming frame. Following her diplomat husband Paul (Stanley Tucci) on assignment to Paris, Child struggles to find an outlet for the passion not directed toward her loving marriage. She soon follows her palate to Le Cordon Bleu, where she struggles to overcome the perception that she’s merely dabbling. Ephron tells Child’s story with a lot of love and little urgency, letting small developments in the long creation of <em>Art Of French Cooking</em> set the pace as Streep and Tucci create an enviable vision of domestic compatibility.</p><p></p><p>Her story alternates, <em>Godfather Part II</em> style, with a depiction of Powell’s blog project, begun as an attempt to find a creative outlet beyond her job at the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation in the days after 9/11. Discovering that her innate charm has limits, Amy Adams plays Powell as a monstrously self-absorbed woman who—even overlooking the ruins of the World Trade Center—sees her friends’ professional success as a cosmic slight against her. Once the blog becomes her focus, she taps away happily—accompanied by <em>You’ve Got Mail</em>-style voiceover—as the Internet starts to pay attention to her quirks. She isn’t the sort of woman who grew up wanting to be Julia Child. She’s the sort who grew up wanting to be a Nora Ephron heroine, and Ephron’s attempts to rhyme the two stories only makes one look shallow by comparison.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Michael Torrance, post: 161075, member: 719"] I did like the movie, because Streep is amazing and Adams is also good. But when it comes to the actual idea behind the theme (book and movie), I agree with this Slate review: [URL]https://film.avclub.com/julie-julia-1798206711[/URL] Simultaneously adapting Julia Child’s autobiography [I]My Life In France[/I] and Julie Powell’s blog-turned-memoir [I]Julie & Julia[/I], Nora Ephron’s [I]Julie & Julia[/I] is two movies in one. That’s one more movie than it needs to be. One portrays Child’s self-discovery through cooking. The other focuses on Powell’s attempt to spend a year preparing all the recipes in Child’s co-authored 1961 breakthrough [I]Mastering The Art Of French Cooking[/I], a cookbook that made classic French dishes accessible to “the servantless American cook.” The first is a charming story of a woman finding a calling in a time and place when women weren’t generally thought to need callings. The second is an accidental dissection of Internet-enabled 21st-century narcissism rendered in broad strokes and easy punchlines. Meryl Streep thoughtfully plays Child as a passionate woman with an easy laugh and an outsized personality to match her looming frame. Following her diplomat husband Paul (Stanley Tucci) on assignment to Paris, Child struggles to find an outlet for the passion not directed toward her loving marriage. She soon follows her palate to Le Cordon Bleu, where she struggles to overcome the perception that she’s merely dabbling. Ephron tells Child’s story with a lot of love and little urgency, letting small developments in the long creation of [I]Art Of French Cooking[/I] set the pace as Streep and Tucci create an enviable vision of domestic compatibility. Her story alternates, [I]Godfather Part II[/I] style, with a depiction of Powell’s blog project, begun as an attempt to find a creative outlet beyond her job at the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation in the days after 9/11. Discovering that her innate charm has limits, Amy Adams plays Powell as a monstrously self-absorbed woman who—even overlooking the ruins of the World Trade Center—sees her friends’ professional success as a cosmic slight against her. Once the blog becomes her focus, she taps away happily—accompanied by [I]You’ve Got Mail[/I]-style voiceover—as the Internet starts to pay attention to her quirks. She isn’t the sort of woman who grew up wanting to be Julia Child. She’s the sort who grew up wanting to be a Nora Ephron heroine, and Ephron’s attempts to rhyme the two stories only makes one look shallow by comparison. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top